• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA announced for XBLA, PSN

DonMigs85 said:
Secret of Mana.
To be honest, I think some of you guys are clouded by nostalgia. The game really isn't THAT great by today's standards. That said, I'm still getting it too.

Right... Lol. I play the original 94 version in an arcade near me quite often with a mate of mine, and it still plays well. They have it on 'endurance' laps so one go lasts over a good 10 minutes at least, I've racked up a lot of hours in recent months on this relic. The same arcade also has Sega Rally 3 and GRID. Daytona feels far nicer to play than those newer games... 'Todays standard arcade racers' couldn't lace Daytona's boots imo.

Trojan X

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Secret of Mana.
To be honest, I think some of you guys are clouded by nostalgia. The game really isn't THAT great by today's standards. That said, I'm still getting it too.

Secret of Mana is a 2D sprites game so that's not a good comparison. Even Sonic on the Megadrive still looks good today and that was released back in the late 80's. :)

So, please name a 3D game (racing would be best) that was released back in 1993 which you believe has aged very well?

goldenpp72

Trojan X said:
Secret of Mana is a 2D sprites game so that's not a good comparison. Even Sonic on the Megadrive still looks good today and that was released back in the late 80's. :)

So, please name a 3D game (racing would be best) that was released back in 1993 which you believe has aged very well?

The first sonic title launched in 91 if i'm not mistaken, but yeah.

Brofist

ShortBus said:
It hasnt aged very well.
Bullshit, it still looks great. BTW most of the people in here excited by this release are playing it in some form, whether at an arcade or by emulation. So we know exactly how it still looks.

I live by Desoto mall in Bradenton, Florida and they have a Daytona USA 2 machine in the arcade. Man I wish that was coming home too, in all it's glory.

Yeah, the Megadrive came out in October or November of 1988 in Japan, the Genesis in September of 1989. Sonic didn't come out until June of 1991.

Anyway, just 2 more days guys!

DonMigs85

Trojan X said:
Someone name me one 3D Playstation game that looks and aged better better than Daytona USA? Yes, just ONE.
Not really fair since PS1 and Saturn couldn't compete with Model 2.
The closest would be the hi-res rerelease of Ridge Racer, but that only had 2 cars at once.

Vorg

Banned
Trojan X said:
Someone name me one 3D Playstation game that looks and aged better better than Daytona USA? Yes, just ONE.

Apples and oranges. If you want to compare the Saturn version then sure, I can name a bunch of playstation games.

1-D_FTW

He's talking about the one guy who said it hasn't aged well. Why are we going down this current route? It utterly destroys anything released on PSX or N64. And we were stuck with those machines until the turn of the century. It's aged better than anything from that time period (2D excluded).

Vorg

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
He's talking about the one guy who said it hasn't aged well. Why are we going down this current route? It utterly destroys anything released on PSX or N64. And we were stuck with those machines until the turn of the century. It's aged better than anything from that time period (2D excluded).

You're comparing custom hardware worth thousands of dollars at the time to cheap home consoles capable of outputting basic 3D.

DonMigs85

In the case of Wave Runner, Wave Race 64 actually had better water effects but of course a choppier framerate and blocky character models.

1-D_FTW

acidspunk said:
You're comparing custom hardware worth thousands of dollars at the time to cheap home consoles capable of outputting basic 3D.

Why is it relevant to the point? It's held up fairly well. Unlike most games of that period, it isn't vomit inducing.

Of course it was state of the art and 10,000 dollars at the time. That's why it's held up so well compared to the other games of its era.

No one's arguing which architecture had best performance per dollar, just that it's held up remarkably well considering what most 3D of that era looks like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Trojan X said:

I dunno but Tekken 3 looked great (not to mention, I heard it was the best looking PS1 game):

Free+Download+Games+Tekken+3+Full+Version+how+to+play.PNG

tekken3vr3cl0.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
1-D_FTW said:
Why is it relevant to the point? It's held up fairly well. Unlike most games of that period, it isn't vomit inducing.

Of course it was state of the art and 10,000 dollars at the time. That's why it's held up so well compared to the other games of its era.

No one's arguing which architecture had best performance per dollar, just that it's held up remarkably well considering what most 3D of that era looks like.
But then other arcade games have held up similarly "well" to make Daytona's "holding up" less "special" visually at least so why ask for PS1 comparisons in particular"?"

Dead or Alive on Saturn looks alright though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLbUUC6uRo&t=1m35s

For PS1, Wipeout 3 looks neat but I can't find good quality footage. This is off screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDfmS4cdFE

Trojan X

Banned
No reason for the Playstation in particular other than timeline. Ultimately, I just wanted to rid any notion of Daytona not ageing well by stirring the pot a little and having a laugh. :)

acidspunk said:
Apples and oranges. If you want to compare the Saturn version then sure, I can name a bunch of playstation games.

But... but that doesn't make any sense, dude. Model 2 is arcade and in general the Playstation out-performs the Sega Saturn in 3D during the 32-bits wars. So, why mention the SEGA Saturn?

Go ahead, dude. Mention one PS1 racing game. :)

Trojan X

Banned
Alextended said:
But then other arcade games have held up similarly "well" to make Daytona's "holding up" less "special" visually at least so why ask for PS1 comparisons in particular"?"

For PS1, Wipeout 3 looks neat but I can't find good quality footage. This is off screen:

Found a direct feed Wipeout 3 for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDe0b9JbACY

Hmm... Remember Wipeout 3 runs at 30fps but it looks still looks alright. :) Not Daytona level but perhaps that's down to artistic taste.

Is this game as barebones as I remember it? I owned the Saturn version, and while I was quite young at the time, I was surprised at how little there was to do. I'm finding myself hyped beyond reason for this game, and I can't figure out why; I don't have any particularly good memories associated with it.

1-D_FTW

Alextended said:

I don't want to derail the thread any more. Just going to say all posts are in reference to "It hasn't aged very well."

The game is almost 20 years old. Most 3D games of that age haven't age even remotely as well. I'll leave it at that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Trojan X said:
Found a direct feed Wipeout 3 for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDe0b9JbACY

Hmm... Remember Wipeout 3 runs at 30fps but it looks still looks alright. :) Not Daytona level but perhaps that's down to artistic taste.
Nice vid, yes. And yes, lower frame rate, but also less pop-in than the original arcade Daytona. And super fast in phantom >_>

But of course not 60 cars... Then again it also had the weapons effects needed...

The cockpit view was cool too, but of course Daytona also has the classic hood-is-visible camera.

At first I was gonna say Ridge Racer 4 but it looks kinda similar, and has pop in.

Trojan X

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Is this game as barebones as I remember it? I owned the Saturn version, and while I was quite young at the time, I was surprised at how little there was to do. I'm finding myself hyped beyond reason for this game, and I can't figure out why; I don't have any particularly good memories associated with it.

Depends what you mean by bare-bone. Well... Many of us, well millions of us, is crazy for Daytona USA due to the multiplayer action. If you play the game as single player only, then there will be only so many times you would want to try and improve your lap times and enjoy the challenge of reaching first place. However in 8 multiplayers, the game becomes an absolutely high adrenaline, battle to the edge of your seat beast! The thrills of racing truly becomes absolute in that form, and it's the same form that many MANY MANNNNNNNNY developers over the years tried so hard to capture but only a few succeeded.

Trojan X

Banned
Alextended said:
Nice vid, yes. And yes, lower frame rate, but also less pop-in than the original arcade Daytona. And super fast in phantom >_>

Yes but the controls... the controls! :) The depth of play in Wipeout couldn't even touch Daytona, but yes that's not the point of why you mention Wipeout 3 in the first place. :p hehe! Good find.

1-D_FTW said:
I don't want to derail the thread any more. Just going to say all posts are in reference to "It hasn't aged very well."

The game is almost 20 years old. Most 3D games of that age haven't age even remotely as well. I'll leave it at that.

Good summary. Sounds good to me.

thirty

Banned
Trojan X said:
No reason for the Playstation in particular other than timeline. Ultimately, I just wanted to rid any notion of Daytona not ageing well by stirring the pot a little and having a laugh. :)

But... but that doesn't make any sense, dude. Model 2 is arcade and in general the Playstation out-performs the Sega Saturn in 3D during the 32-bits wars. So, why mention the SEGA Saturn?

Ridge racer type 4.

Indy 500 was my favorite of the model 2 arcade racers. The handling was great, and it treated the subject matter more like a sim, not that it was a sim. The arcade Sega Rally was nowhere near as good as the Saturn version control wise. Model 2 was very good hardware.

Trojan X said:

"But... but that doesn't make any sense, dude." ;)

Personally I think Daytona USA arcade has aged pretty well.

That being said, asking for a PS1 racing game that holds up as well as Daytona USA doesn't make any more sense than asking for a Saturn racing game that does just that.

Daytona USA is one of the most expensive arcade machines of its day and both the PSX and the Saturn are just low budget home consoles. Of course they can't match a Model 2 game, that's a given.

Trojan X

Banned
thirty said:
Ridge racer type 4.

I loved that game so much... but it doesn't look pretty if you check it out now. *sigh... Ridger Racer 2, Rave Racer, Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4 really were great games. Memories.

Warm Machine said:
Indy 500 was my favorite of the model 2 arcade racers. The handling was great, and it treated the subject matter more like a sim, not that it was a sim. The arcade Sega Rally was nowhere near as good as the Saturn version control wise. Model 2 was very good hardware.

Indy 500 is an incredible racing game that didn't get enough love in the arcades. I had more fun on that game than any other F1 game. I'm thinking of making a gameplay video of the game on the final course in which I'll do my best to reach first place.

The Arcade version of Sega Rally was perfectly fine; you can check it out for yourself on the emu. The Sega Saturn version was adapted in consideration of the digital controls. It was great but, as you know, when it comes to racing games it's all about analogue controls.

Ok, I had quite a bit of fun on this thread. I'll come back when Daytona is out so I can check out everyone's reaction/feedback and get some racing challenges. I'm sure someone will start a league of some sort if SEGA not going to do it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
herzogzwei1989 said:
Is anyone here waiting until the 26th to get the XBLA version ?

I'm getting it on XBLA thanks to my dwindling Bing rewards. Sadly I don't have Gold, but I do have some 48hr passes to burn.

bwahhhhh

herzogzwei1989 said:
Is anyone here waiting until the 26th to get the XBLA version ?

I will, if it's like Sega's other PSN/XBLA titles, they usually have some (or better) AA for the 360. I bought Afterburner Climax on PSN on a whim, then later tried the XBLA demo, it was significantly cleaner looking on the 360. Had buyers remorse on that one.

cool beans, guys. I'll have a PS3 Tuesday, but no 360 til next month when I can afford to replace the one that was taken from me.

anywoo, here's some Daytona USA flyers to look at.

16187101.jpg

16187102.jpg

16187103.jpg

16187104.jpg

Satchel

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I dunno but Tekken 3 looked great (not to mention, I heard it was the best looking PS1 game):

Free+Download+Games+Tekken+3+Full+Version+how+to+play.PNG

tekken3vr3cl0.jpg

Why would you post an emulated/upscaled shot? (first one).

In their original form, all Saturn and Playstation games still look like shit. Doesn't mean they weren't good games, but by todays' standards, the 3D games from that era are fucking garbage visually.

That includes even their best games in Virtua Fighter 2 and I guess Tekken 3.

Takken 3 on PS1 was very impressive. The arcade version ran on the System 12 hardware which was a more powerful version of the PS1/System 11 hardware. Daytona was rivaled only by Ridge Racer in graphics (which had better graphics IMO but lacked Daytona's gameplay).

Satchel

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
Takken 3 on PS1 was very impressive. The arcade version ran on the System 12 hardware which was a more powerful version of the PS1/System 11 hardware. Daytona was rivaled only by Ridge Racer in graphics (which had better graphics IMO but lacked Daytona's gameplay).

What?

Namco's arcade games were horrible visually in comparison to Sega's. Hell even Time Crisis 4 looks like a PS2 game in comparison to the PS3 version.

Ridge Racer visually wasn't fit to lick Daytona's ball sweat.

PS. I'm also waiting on the XBLA version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well... I'm getting the PSN version (will be only $7 for superior PS+ race). :p

thirty

Banned
I always liked the lap number display on the arcade flyers versus the in game ones. The whole hud looks better actually.

Trojan X said:
Yes but the controls... the controls! :) The depth of play in Wipeout couldn't even touch Daytona, but yes that's not the point of why you mention Wipeout 3 in the first place. :p hehe! Good find.

Don't do this, man. I love PS1 Wipeout games and Daytona. Both have plenty of depth.

Still, Wipeout 3 was released 6 years after Daytona by which time Model 3 games were busy destroying minds.

Nothing even sniffed Daytona for a good while after it was released. One of the very few games that truly made my jaw drop, and still totally playable today.

Top Bottom