• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

In the effort of full disclosure and to try and get a handle on the issue of cheating I pm'd Tonic who is DayZ staff which I think is a bit different than DayZ dev but regardless.

Tonic
DayZ Staff
Re: How do you prevent cheating?
To: Krappadizzle
Krappadizzle Wrote:Hello,

I'm an admin on US 38 and Dallas 19. Your name was thrown out as someone who does a great job at preventing cheaters? I was wondering what you do to do that? I have RCon and can use it to ban/kick/restart/shutdown. Are there other tools available to me that lets me better police my server?

V/r,

-K

Don't worry, something special will be happening soon.

Name: TAW_Tonic
Server(s): US 1, US 2

Wonder what this means?!

Only problems we have is we don't have a dedicated personal Mumble server where we can kick people out. Also I very highly doubt Skype could hold 15 people in one conversation with people joining from all over the world. I Skype with my IRL friends all the time and a group of 5 people has a serious impact on the dude hosting the call in terms of CPU and network bandwidth.

You're on the GAF mumble right? Nabs can help you secure the DayZ channel with a password and give you rights to kick/ban people from the server if need be.

lol, reading this thread I just can't understand why people use Mumble and have a lot of problems instead of chatting on Skype.

Mumble has an extremely easy to use built-in "Audio Setup Wizard" to set up your speakers/headphones and mic combination to work, no matter how unique your Audio setup may be.

Besides, the quality and latency of Mumble is amazing. Even the built in Murmur Feature* was amazingly mind-blowing when it worked. *(ingame proximity chat, only certain games have it) I remember playing in mumble with GAF on a random BFBC2 server and being able to hear each-other in stereo based on our current position/location in the server. This feature is what Project Reality (the famous BF2 mod) uses for it's voice chat.

dionysus

Yaldog
Some advice for the new players from a new player myself. It is very hard to physically meet up with friendly gaffers. The world is huge, you do not spawn with a map or a compass so you don't know how to get to other locations, going by foot is slow, and getting vehicles up and running takes a large time investment from several players.

So your first few hours playing you will mostly be learning locations and names for a mental map, as well as learning the zombie and spawn mechanics. Really until you have this mental map built it is going to be next to impossible to meet up with other gaffers on a consistent basis.

To me so far the learning curve has been:
1) Learn how to avoid and survive zombies while still getting loot
2) Build a mental map
3) Start trying to find friendly players, kill other players

Edit. Arma2's online maps are valuable. Since all the roadsigns in the game don't even use a latin alphabet, you can't read them and correlate them to pronunciation. I have to look at a sign and then alt+tab to a browser map with the translations.

Yay or Nay on us having a DayZ mumble server? Not only would it be easier to moderate (lower Mickey's volume...), but we could also look into setting up that proximity chat.

NIX!

PLEASE USE TS3 WITH ACRE!

PWEASE PWEASE PWWWWEEAAASEEEE!!!! D:

---

erm, nevermind... you would have to give everyone radio packs >.>

your lack of presence in mumble saddens me greatly.

Dude I really want to but having 10 people talking that are on the other side of the map kinda kills the immersion for me (I know that sounds really stupid).

I prefer the (direct comms): "HEY YOU, HEY. HEY. HEY YOU, YEAH YOU. HEY, HEY ARE YOU FRI- BANGBANGBANG"

---

one of my fantasies for dayz -- having acre integrated into it. (people listening in on your frequency omgomg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BsQBTQtiQQ

HHHHNNNNGGGGGGG

Dude I really want to but having 10 people talking that are on the other side of the map kinda kills the immersion for me (I know that sounds really stupid).

I prefer the (direct comms): "HEY YOU, HEY. HEY. HEY YOU, YEAH YOU. HEY, HEY ARE YOU FRI- BANGBANGBANG"

Mumble's Murmur works like this, its Direct Comms based on a player's ingame 3D position/distance on a server.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
This game has turned into a deathmatch with zombies.. I'm bailing till something changes.

mik83kuu

Banned
This game has turned into a deathmatch with zombies.. I'm bailing till something changes.

Won't be that long I guess. Changes like starting w/o a gun, system for people to hear your heartbeat if you're a bandit (though very close) and the upcoming changes to zombie damage and behaviour will all together limit the DM aspect of this game.

So, kinda ruining this idea by posting it --
But why don't we just join some other obscure games subchannel in the mumble?
Well if it is the same mumble provider it won't make a difference as people can just look for our names.

When I get home I'll be getting us a mumble.

So, kinda ruining this idea by posting it --
But why don't we just join some other obscure games subchannel in the mumble?

Don't you guys have your own Day-Z Channel? You should ask for a subchannel in the main Day-Z Channel for the active players playing in a squad or something, sorta like the BF3 channel, has a main channel up channels for squads.

Blizzard

Banned
Won't be that long I guess. Changes like starting w/o a gun, system for people to hear your heartbeat if you're a bandit (though very close) and the upcoming changes to zombie damage and behaviour will all together limit the DM aspect of this game.
I think the idea of hearing your heartbeat is good, but I don't see it changing deathmatch behavior. Any competent bandit would be killing you with night vision goggles and/or a sniper rifle and/or any ranged weapon, or maybe camping a spawn location. I highly doubt you would be close enough to hear any sort of heartbeat before being shot.

Well if it is the same mumble provider it won't make a difference as people can just look for our names.

When I get home I'll be getting us a mumble.

try going for EOReality in Chicago, its the same provider/location vertopci uses for the GAF Mumble server, high quality hosting and low latency across the US.

Or just ask vertopci to give some of you mod powers within the GAF Mumble and he can put a password on the Day-Z Channel within the GAF Mumble for you, and make subchannels and all that.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Hey guys, i'm really struggling to join the GAF server. I need some beta version, i've tried loads of different updaters and nothing has worked. Could somebody please run me through the steps from a clean install to getting on the gaf server. I'd really appreciate it.

legacyzero

Banned
The problem with the game seeming like deathmatch lately because there isn't an incentive for people to work together.

No reward for positive humanity. Yet you get goodies/thrills for killing a random guy who's been running for hours to get inland.
Hey guys, i'm really struggling to join the GAF server. I need some beta version, i've tried loads of different updaters and nothing has worked. Could somebody please run me through the steps from a clean install to getting on the gaf server. I'd really appreciate it.
THIS. I'm so confused. I'm gonna be starting over though.

mik83kuu

Banned

Here's what I would do if I had just reformatted my PC.

Step 1: Getting the games
- Download Steam and install it
- Run Steam as Administrator (r-click the Steam shortcut to do it)
- Download Arma 2
- Download Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead
- Run Arma 2 once (you can exit once the main menu shows up)
- Run Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead once (again, exit once you see the menu)

Step 2: Installing DayZ
- Download all the .rar files from armafiles.info/dayz (any mirror will do)
- Go to your Operation Arrowhead folder (default would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\)
- Make a folder inside this folder called @DayZ
- Make a folder inside the just created @DayZ folder called Addons
- Unrar all the files you downloaded here

Step 3: Installing the beta patch
- Go to http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php and download what ever .zip files is on top of the page on the green background
- Unpack the .zip file
- Run the .exe file inside as an Administrator
- Click OK, Yes or w/e it asks of you until it's all done (if Windows says it wasn't installed correctly, don't panic - it was)
- Go to your Operation Arrowhead folder (where you created that @DayZ folder) and go to Expansions folder and then beta folder (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta)
- Copy arma2oa.exe in to the Operation Arrowhead folder (the same one where you created the @DayZ folder) (if you want to be safe, just take a backup of the original file here since you will be replacing it.)
- In steam r-click Operation Arrowhead and select Properties and then Set Launch Options
- Copy/paste the following in the line: -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -world=empty -mod=@DayZ

Step 4: Running DayZ with the beta patch
- Double-click Operation Arrowhead in steam and a small window pops up
- Select Run as Combined Operations (should be the bottom most option)

Step 5: Enjoy.
- Eat beans
- Get killed
- Repeat

Step 6-1000: Upgrading to the latest DayZ or the latest beta patch
- If DayZ updates, just download new .rars from armafiles.info/dayz and extract to the original location (those folders you created, remember? \@DayZ\Addons\)
- Above step is easy and you only need to download, unpack and replace files that have changed, not every single file (you can see this from the dates at armafiles.info/dayz)
- If a new Operation Arrowhead beta patch is released, just download it from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php and unpack, run the unpacked .exe as Administrator and replace your current arma2oa.exe with the new one that was just now created in \Expansions\beta.

Step X: Removing the beta patch and running the game w/o it
- If ever for any reason you have to run the game w/o the beta patch, just revert back to the original arma2oa.exe and change your Steam launch options for Operation Arrowhead to -nosplash -world=empty -mod=@DayZ

A friend and I went from Cherno to Stary Sobor. Just got to Stary and started getting shot at. We had no clue where the shots were being fired from, so we kept running. We ran right up toe the ambusher and died. Had no clue he was in a certain patch of trees. So frustrating and fun.

Loxley

I wonder if they've thought of implementing some sort of system where zombies will be drawn to you much more easily depending on how many players you've killed. That way the griefers might not last long if the zombies can see/hear them from a longer ways off than someone who has never killed another player.

ScRYeD

I wonder if they've thought of implementing some sort of system where zombies will be drawn to you much more easily depending on how many players you've killed. That way the griefers might not last long if the zombies can see/hear them from a longer ways off than someone who has never killed another player.

Maybe not see/hear them. How about smell the blood on them instead, because of the blood they have spilled.

Goron2000

best junior ever

- Download Arma 2

- Go to your Operation Arrowhead folder (default would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\)

- Go to http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php and download what ever .zip files is on top of the page on the green background
- Unpack the .zip file
- Click OK, Yes or w/e it asks of you until it's all done (if Windows says it wasn't installed correctly, don't panic - it was)
- Go to your Operation Arrowhead folder (where you created that @DayZ folder) and go to Expansions folder and then beta folder (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta)
- Copy arma2oa.exe in to the Operation Arrowhead folder (the same one where you created the @DayZ folder) (if you want to be safe, just take a backup of the original file here since you will be replacing it.)
- In steam r-click Operation Arrowhead and select Properties and then Set Launch Options
- Copy/paste the following in the line: -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -world=empty -mod=@DayZ

- Eat beans
- Get killed
- Repeat

- If DayZ updates, just download new .rars from armafiles.info/dayz and extract to the original location (those folders you created, remember? \@DayZ\Addons\)
- Above step is easy and you only need to download, unpack and replace files that have changed, not every single file (you can see this from the dates at armafiles.info/dayz)
- If a new Operation Arrowhead beta patch is released, just download it from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php and unpack, run the .exe as Administrator and you're done.

- If ever for any reason you have to run the game w/o the beta patch, just revert back to the original arma2oa.exe and change your Steam launch options for Operation Arrowhead to -nosplash -world=empty -mod=@DayZ

This is great, thank you for putting the time in to do this. The game seems much more stable now but when i enter the gaf server it tells me im on 1.6.0.1 and not 1.7.0 (or something close to those) I'm ripping my hair out.

Got us a mumble server. When I get home in about an hour I'll get it set up as there is only so much I can do from my phone. With that said I will have it administrated. Meaning that I'll select a few people to give access to kicks and what not. Our mumble server will be open to all GAF. Everyone, no one is excluded. But, that doesn't mean we won't be trolled from within our own. If someone is found to be just idling listening in just to get an unfair advantage over us, kicked. Hell, I'm not even against other GAF joining the server and picking a different channel and hunting others that way. Just no unfair lurking in a group channel to find their shit. That said, I gotta figure out a good way to distribut p-word and host name as I don't want to have to PM 30 people. Ideas?

DTKT

Got us a mumble server. When I get home in about an hour I'll get it set up as there is only so much I can do from my phone. With that said I will have it administrated. Meaning that I'll select a few people to give access to kicks and what not. Our mumble server will be open to all GAF. Everyone, no one is excluded. But, that doesn't mean we won't be trolled from within our own. If someone is found to be just idling listening in just to get an unfair advantage over us, kicked. Hell, I'm not even against other GAF joining the server and picking a different channel and hunting others that way. Just no unfair lurking in a group channel to find their shit. That said, I gotta figure out a good way to distribut p-word and host name as I don't want to have to PM 30 people. Ideas?

I believe there is a way to use the quoting system in order to "hide" stuff. The person has to quote your post in order to see the hidden text.

Email tags
I have an example in my post if you quote it.

abusori

I believe there is a way to use the quoting system in order to "hide" stuff. The person has to quote your post in order to see the hidden text.

It's [/email

Except you close the bracket on the second one.

For example, [email=Wizzard can't read this] when you quote this post, you'll see my hidden message here.

Edit: D'oh, beaten.

mr stroke

+1

Trying for the last ten days as I really want to like this game(Love the premise)

But every game ends up with me spawning and getting attacked by Zombies in the first 5 min, or running half way across the map only to have someone roll up behind me and shot me in the head :(

I still haven't seen a live person in the last 10 games...

legacyzero

Banned

- Download Arma 2

- Unpack the .zip file

- Eat beans
- Get killed
- Repeat

- If a new Operation Arrowhead beta patch is released, just download it from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php and unpack, run the .exe as Administrator and you're done.

That totally worked!

Now I get the message that I need to download 1.7.0 because I'm only running 1.6.0.

Where might I get THAT update??

drizzle

Axel Hertz
+1

Trying for the last ten days as I really want to like this game(Love the premise)

But every game ends up with me spawning and getting attacked by Zombies in the first 5 min, or running half way across the map only to have someone roll up behind me and shot me in the head :(

I still haven't seen a live person in the last 10 games...

That's kinda why I left the game. I'm tired of playing for 20 hours (on multiple plays) to get one shotted by somebody because they said LOLZ and killed me from i have no fucking idea where.

This is also a complete gaming habit change i'm getting the last 2 months, in which I hate every single type of competitive gameplay there is out there. Time to jump into my backlog of single player games.

I'll come back to it later. Probably. I guess.

All Righty, I think I finally got our mumble working. Still not sure if password is working properly as it should, I might need a few of you to test. But we now have our own Mumble server. Quote for more.

Top Bottom