• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Well, I worked really hard to get it and even killed a few people to hold onto it so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to devalue my efforts. Not trying to be rude but I spent so much time crawling the coast looking for supplies and friendlies. I mean, isn't the vest pouch good because it gives you bonus space? Seems like a good find. That's what someone told me while playing, before he tried to kill me and I ruined him.

The DB is awesome for getting guys going into a building after you. It's just really loud.

Once you get a little more confidence you'll be looting buildings like a ghost and coming out with sweeter stuff. Every life is a learning experience. Unless some douchebag snipes you from a tower unseen, then its just irritating.

Well, I worked really hard to get it and even killed a few people to hold onto it so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to devalue my efforts. Not trying to be rude but I spent so much time crawling the coast looking for supplies and friendlies. I mean, isn't the vest pouch good because it gives you bonus space? Seems like a good find. That's what someone told me while playing, before he tried to kill me and I ruined him.

The DB is awesome for getting guys going into a building after you. It's just really loud.

1) No, and it's actually the worst backpack in the game at 6 slots. Even the one you spawn with (8 slots) is better.

2) The shotgun is not a very good weapon, though better than nothing. Pretty much any gun is good against people running into a building, zombie or human. It only takes a shot or two to kill zombies/humans.

Combine that with low mag capacity, low rate of fire, noise, low range and you can see why anyone who gets a shotgun drops it for a rifle as soon as they can find one. Try and find a barn and grab a Lee Enfield, which is good as a starter weapon.

KissVibes

Banned
1) No, and it's actually the worst backpack in the game at 6 slots. Even the one you spawn with (8 slots) is better.

Why is it a vest pouch if it replaces the bag you spawn with? That doesn't make ANY sense.

Are you saying someone mislead me in-game? That's not very nice and I never noticed because I play in 1st person only servers.

Dibbz

Why does no one want to be my friend ;.;. I'm just chilling my the cherno hospital, saying hi to all the people walking by, and this group of three comes by, so I ask them "What's good" and one of them walks over and shoots me in the head. That wasn't very nice.

I do not understand this mentality. You are playing a game of survival. This is not a happy fun rainbow land where you go to make friends. How anyone can be shocked when they get killed by another player makes no sense. You either survive or die your choice. Want to make friends don't do it in the actual game space because you're going to die. It's just common sense.

McBradders

Why is it a vest pouch if it replaces the bag you spawn with? That doesn't make ANY sense.

Are you saying someone mislead me in-game? That's not very nice and I never noticed because I play in 1st person only servers.

Pretty much everyone is out to get you in this game. It never used to be like this :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pretty much everyone is out to get you in this game. It never used to be like this :(

it might have been nice back in your day when you could walk into any old store and there were beans as far as the eye could see; but the world is hard now. the beans have stopped flowing and expiration dates loom. If you want to survive now, you have tough choices to make.

I work today and tomorrow, then Im off until the 23rd when I start my new job. If this doesn't magically appear on sale by tomorrow, Im going to just buy it. Tired of waiting, I need in on this!

McBradders

it might have been nice back in your day when you could walk into any old store and there were beans as far as the eye could see; but the world is hard now. the beans have stopped flowing and expiration dates loom. If you want to survive now, you have tough choices to make.

I'm not eating human meat, no matter how bad it gets.

The backpack system is pretty confusing, ecpecially since the size of the bag isn't related to the slot size. Here's how it works:

Czech Vest Pouch - 6 slots

Coyote Patrol Pack - 8 slots (default pack)

Assault Pack - 12 slots

Czech Backpack - 16 slots

ALICE Pack - 20 slots

Coyote Backpack - 24 slots

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
me and my wordless buddy
I5pEe.jpg

i got trapped here and he tried to pull the zombies away. didn't work, so he climbed up and shared my fate.

WedgeX

Banned
Mr. "Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahha-I-haven't-played-in-a-week-so-Boogie-was-kind-enough-to-take-up-my-fortification-job"

-Boogiepop

And yet you were at the NE Airfield, a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I uploaded it to my dropbox for you: Download

Haven't posted this in awhile...

*DONATE!* - Help keep the tears flowing by making sure gibonez has a hill to call home so he can send bullets of love to those at the NE Airfield.

(Quote this so people see it.)

Quote what?

Did anyone hear about this? F2P???
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...-000-players-may-be-destined-for-free-to-play

I don't know how he plans on implementing F2P mechanics, but if you are able to purchase food, drink, supplies, weapons it will ruin the games appeal IMO.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/09/will-day-z-stand-alone-and-when/

“Free-to-play is a successful model for games, and certainly one day I see survival games like DayZ as free-to-play, and it would probably be the most profitable model for something like DayZ – but I think it would harm the creative and experimental nature of DayZ. Therefore my preference is for a Minecraft type model…”

Doppelganger

Neo Member
Pay once with different pricing during Alpha, Beta and Release.

Ok, so how can that be construed as free to play? Minecraft was never free was it? At any rate...as long as Rocket isn't planning on adding microtransactions, I'm ok with it.

It isn't.

From what I understand, Rocket is saying that F2P has the potential to be a big money maker for DayZ but he also thinks it would hurt the game

The "Minecraft" model is you pay for early access to the Alpha/Beta, the players feedback/suggestions kinda shape the game and once it is "done" then you have access to the full game and future updates without having to repay.

Doppelganger

Neo Member
I agree, Verge didn't really explain his model. Normally I would have searched around but just about every gaming site is blocked. The verge gets through since gaming isn't their main subject.

I wonder how Rocket plans on implementing this since we are already playing alpha as free mod for a paid game.

KKRT00

It isn't.

From what I understand, Rocket is saying that F2P has the potential to be a big money maker for DayZ but he also thinks it would hurt the game

The "Minecraft" model is you pay for early access to the Alpha/Beta, the players feedback/suggestions kinda shape the game and once it is "done" then you have access to the full game and future updates without having to repay.

No, he meant that when You're using Minecraft model, You can sell game for lower amount, but also in broken state or experimenting state, where You can change a lot without hurting brand name, because Your community know that game is not finished.

To monetize from F2P You need complete game that wont have features removed in patches.

Basically 'Alpha Minecraft' model allow developers to sell broken game and use them as a testers, when in F2P You need stable title.

Still i think that You can combine both worlds. Sell it at first with a Minecraft model and when game will be finished convert it to F2P game or cheaper with some microtransactions system.

Found a dude with a broken leg, I give him morphine and he then attempts to go all Paul Bunyan on my ass. Shot him in the leg, what a waste of morphine.

Through trial and error I have become a lot better at surviving in DayZ. I now have a healthy amount of supplies, weapons, ammo, etc. and am doing quite well in my adventures. Currently on Day 9 and have only killed 8 zombies. Heading north, instead of into the coastal cities, immediately after spawning was a great decision. Raided the NW airfield last night and now have all sorts of goodies. Would love to team up with someone eventually and see how that goes, but I'm so paranoid of the inevitable betrayal that I'd probably get an itchy trigger finger as soon as I saw a survivor approach me. My next order of business will be to procure a vehicle.

Edit: Anyone know the best spot to find the NVGs???

No, he meant that when You're using Minecraft model, You can sell game for lower amount, but also in broken state or experimenting state, where You can change a lot without hurting brand name, because Your community know that game is not finished.

To monetize from F2P You need complete game that wont have features removed in patches.

Basically 'Alpha Minecraft' model allow developers to sell broken game and use them as a testers, when in F2P You need stable title.

Still i think that You can combine both worlds. Sell it at first with a Minecraft model and when game will be finished convert it to F2P game or cheaper with some microtransactions system.

I don't think it's that he wants to be able to save the integrity of the brand when he makes unfavourable changes. The 'Minecraft Model' doesn't exempt you from large amounts of criticism or angry customers. Same goes for saying "It's Alpha!", which has been seen on the DayZ forums.

I really think Rocket's logic is that he doesn't necessarily want to go for the most profitable method, but the one that helps foster development. F2P games instantly lose user feedback because the balance of the micro-transaction items takes precedence over everything else.

Through trial and error I have become a lot better at surviving in DayZ. I now have a healthy amount of supplies, weapons, ammo, etc. and am doing quite well in my adventures. Currently on Day 9 and have only killed 8 zombies. Heading north, instead of into the coastal cities, immediately after spawning was a great decision. Raided the NW airfield last night and now have all sorts of goodies. Would love to team up with someone eventually and see how that goes, but I'm so paranoid of the inevitable betrayal that I'd probably get an itchy trigger finger as soon as I saw a survivor approach me. My next order of business will be to procure a vehicle.

Edit: Anyone know the best spot to find the NVGs???

Kill people in Ghillie suits seems to be a good method.

I've yet to find one at a spawn, only on dead people.

arma2oa_2012_07_09_18_18_53_049.png

Bring the bandit skin back but put these in perhaps tiers of bandit skins depending on how evil you are.

Survivor skins suck also should be replaced with something else.

TCKaos

Do NOT equip any new clothing you find until a hotfix is rolled out. People are reporting putting on ghillie suits and such and then having their entire inventory deleted, including the clothing they were trying to put on.

Just don't do it.

EDIT: This is being reported even for people who logged in wearing new skins. They're logging in an first person perspective is fine but they're invisible in third person. Switching servers may spawn you with the default skin and your gear intact, possibly. I'd recommend just not playing if you have a skin, not until a hotfix is released.

Top Bottom