• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

So what's the scoop on zombie vision and hearing since the patch? If I understood the notes properly, it's probably easier to crouch run in cities and towns without spooking every zombie within 30 meters? - and probably harder to prone crawl around out in the open?

I found and eventually put on a ghillie suit last night. I take it I just shouldn't log in for now due to whatever's causing people to lose their gear?

Game-Biz

wtf. Zombies can hear me crouch without moving from like 50 - 100 meters away. I can't spawn without zombies killing me within 10 seconds and without taking 1 freaking step. This update really sucks.

wtf. Zombies can hear me crouch without moving from like 50 - 100 meters away. I can't spawn without zombies killing me within 10 seconds and without taking 1 freaking step. This update really sucks.

damn that sounds horrible. And here I was, chomping at the bit to get back on tonight...but with the server issues right now and this news of Super Zombies, I'll just wait I guess...

TCKaos

L85 was removed with the implementation of this patch. It's not a bug, either. They removed the L85 with thermal optics. Not just "removed from drops" removed, but "lol we're deleting this from your inventory".

It's a shame, considering it's the rarest drop in the game. I could understand nerfing the range of vision, but just removing it is a bad call, I think.

Hopped on DayZ, updated. I had broken legs and was shaking, patched myself up and came up on a Coyote Backpack and an M41A. Decided to take a break. Came back, and all my progress was gone. I was back with broken legs and shaking, and no loot.
Tried to progress again, signed off, and back on, same story. wtf

Hopped on DayZ, updated. I had broken legs and was shaking, patched myself up and came up on a Coyote Backpack and an M41A. Decided to take a break. Came back, and all my progress was gone. I was back with broken legs and shaking, and no loot.
Tried to progress again, signed off, and back on, same story. wtf

I haven't played this yet, but I just wanted to say your avatar is excellent. Spiderland for the win.

L85 was removed with the implementation of this patch. It's not a bug, either. They removed the L85 with thermal optics. Not just "removed from drops" removed, but "lol we're deleting this from your inventory".

It's a shame, considering it's the rarest drop in the game. I could understand nerfing the range of vision, but just removing it is a bad call, I think.

Considering it probably makes you the unflinching ultimate authority on the entire area that you're in at night, it's probably a good call to remove it. Probably a kilometer radius, clear vision of all potential hostiles in all directions if you can find a good roost?

Irish

It's funny because L85s still drop from crash sites, but they bring up an error code if you try to pick them up citing a faulty anim file.

So... any bear traps yet?

It's funny because L85s still drop from crash sites, but they bring up an error code if you try to pick them up citing a faulty anim file.

So... any bear traps yet?

You do know they added real bear traps, right? Not the kind where you lead on a larger gentleman with a preference for BANANA!

Wow - has the zombies vision grown massively or is there a problem?
I was watching a hopper as it was close, but this walker a bit further away suddenly sprinted at me (I was slow crouched). Rather odd.

Went through a town and had similar incidents - fortunately there were lots and lots of open spaced barns. Had to just shoot the Z's on the outskirts to get out.

So is this just more dangerous now? Or what? Am I being silly?

Wow - has the zombies vision grown massively or is there a problem?
I was watching a hopper as it was close, but this walker a bit further away suddenly sprinted at me (I was slow crouched). Rather odd.

Went through a town and had similar incidents - fortunately there were lots and lots of open spaced barns. Had to just shoot the Z's on the outskirts to get out.

So is this just more dangerous now? Or what? Am I being silly?

From the patch notes

* [NEW] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation

There is now a random chance that a zed that is far away will notice you. Personally I think it's stupid and should be removed.

KissVibes

Banned
I was just playing on an EU server when I stumbled across a gun battle in some town on the west with this oddly shaped watertower. Stary I think? Anyway, I ended up behind a dude who asked me over direct to drag his friend to safety while he provided cover fire. I didn't have anything on me so I wasn't too worried that they were going to shoot me after I was done helping them.

I dragged his friend behind a building, patched him up and when they were done killing the guys they were fighting, they gave me an Alice pack, a few tools and an M14 AIM. They were also going to give me a light mg but I didn't want it.

It was really exciting.

From the patch notes

There is now a random chance that a zed that is far away will notice you. Personally I think it's stupid and should be removed.

Thats idiotic...I suppose I might just have to get used to it (am better at escaping them now, I know I just have to go into a building, then run around them - or lose them behind things) - but still its silly.

They either see me or they don't. The reason the game is tense is not me getting chased by zombies, its because sneaking around them takes so much time that am worried other players might find me, or I make a mistake and get a horde on me. Not that I might get 'random' spot... :/

Doppelganger

Neo Member
Everyone gets mad when a zed spots them when you don't think it should. But I think it makes the game more exciting. You shouldn't be able to crouch through an area in the wide open and not alert any zeds as long as you are a certain distance away. There's bound to be a more coherent zombie or 2 wandering around right?

ZenVolta

Hey everyone, just got accepted. Please welcome me into your loving arms...with love.

Just loaded up the Gaf server, should I worry since im starting clean?

The Shift

Banned
No. You should worry once you've got good loot.

Meh - I want to offload the AS50+2 mags and tent...

Have no interest in ganking players(just do heli runs these days) so the AS is useless for me as shooting Z's with it is overkill and I would have to swap it out of my Alice pack constantly which is painful. The Bizon gets the job done without a sound. So the AS just sits there unused, taking up space.

I don't have a 'home' server so the tent is useless - same as above, takes up precious slots.

Will swap both for a pair of NVG and some Bizon mags if anyone is interested..

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like people who complain when patches introduce temporarily more dangerous zombies tend to be the people who want to focus on player deathmatch. I suspect that Rocket is occasionally trying to make zombies more dangerous to discourage this, with the sniper rifle nerf and the deletion of the heat vision weapon.

Just bought ARMA2 for this, but...

Is it normal for the server list to completely crash my internet everytime it shows up and gets refreshed ?

Tried with both steam and SixUpdater.

Desaan

The patches for DayZ are always a clusterfuck, usually have to wait 2-3 days for stuff to get ironed out. Both client and server suffering from issues plus the hive gets bombarded with data and the whole system drags.

ameratsu

Is there a site somewhere that catalogs all the updates along with changes/fixes? This thread moves pretty fast and I'd like to be able to just check somewhere to see what changed in new updatew.

ZenVolta

Word of warning DO NOT put on camo or ghillie suit. It has a high chance of deleting your inventory. If you find one just hold on to it till a hot fix is out

Is there a site somewhere that catalogs all the updates along with changes/fixes? This thread moves pretty fast and I'd like to be able to just check somewhere to see what changed in new updatew.

The actual change log is released with each update and it has all of the past updates in it.

BadTaste

Word of warning DO NOT put on camo or ghillie suit. It has a high chance of deleting your inventory. If you find one just hold on to it till a hot fix is out

Guess I was somewhat lucky, I was already wearing a Ghillie suit, logged into a server using 1.7.2, somehow ended up on the coast (when I remember logging out at NW Airfield), still had my gear.. actually I was no longer wearing a Ghillie suit, I remember seeing I was wearing green gloves and was sleeveless. Logged out immediately.

ZenVolta

Guess I was somewhat lucky, I was already wearing a Ghillie suit, logged into a server using 1.7.2, somehow ended up on the coast (when I remember logging out at NW Airfield), still had my gear.. actually I was no longer wearing a Ghillie suit, I remember seeing I was wearing green gloves and was sleeveless. Logged out immediately.

Wow that is lucky. I lost my suit to a hacker(warped to me and picked me up and dropped me from the top of cherno). Found one again in Rog only to lose all my gear. Weird that I kept the stuff in my bag but that was just spare ammo and a frag I found lol

Megasoum

Banned
So quick noob questions here.

I know that the base ARMA2 game is available for free with shitty textures but you still need to by Arrowhead. Do these shitty textures affect DayZ too or it's just when you play ARMA2 proper?

Next question, do you need multiply Arrowhead keys if you want to run more than one character at once? Not logged in at the same time obviously but if you want to have "alt"?

Well I just run through towns now. Every time I sneak - a zombie no where near (not even the closest) just sprints at me. Worst of all, in order to know its happening I have to go 3rd person all the time.

I wouldn't mind if they 'moved towards' me until their in 'sight' but I just don't see the point in sneaking if it doesn't work.

So thats kind of ruining things for me a bit. One thing I have to say; why are they messing around changing core mechanics like that when theres a lot more obvious things needing work?

I wouldn't mind 'rules' maybe to do with weather or something, but as it is, its all a bit...too random and makes me change how I play. Hopefully it gets at least tweaked soonish.

Anyway - ended up getting shot after running into a building. My own fault, I thought someone might be up the stairs but decided to loot down below first.

ZenVolta

So quick noob questions here.

I know that the base ARMA2 game is available for free with shitty textures but you still need to by Arrowhead. Do these shitty textures affect DayZ too or it's just when you play ARMA2 proper?

Next question, do you need multiply Arrowhead keys if you want to run more than one character at once? Not logged in at the same time obviously but if you want to have "alt"?

Yes and no. The Shitty textures pop up in dayz however Arrowhead is a stand alone game. So if you bought it then you are good to go.

Im going to guess yes. I tried make a new "profile" so I could just mess around and not worry about lossing my gear in DayZ but that didnt work. Maybe someone knows a way to have an "alt"

Edit: Grimshawish were you on the second floor of the school?

Megasoum

Banned
Yes and no. The Shitty textures pop up in dayz however Arrowhead is a stand alone game. So if you bought it then you are good to go.

Im going to guess yes. I tried make a new "profile" so I could just mess around and not worry about lossing my gear in DayZ but that didnt work. Maybe someone knows a way to have an "alt"

Ok so I could just buy arrowhead and not bother at all about the base game and I would be fine for the mod? I though you needed combined ops for the mod.

ZenVolta

Ok so I could just buy arrowhead and not bother at all about the base game and I would be fine for the mod? I though you needed combined ops for the mod.

Yes you need both for the mod. I thought the question was if arma would have crappy textures. DayZ will. But if you play the base arrowhead game it wont. Sorry for the confusion

ZenVolta

arma2oa_2012_07_09_18_18_53_049.png

Bring the bandit skin back but put these in perhaps tiers of bandit skins depending on how evil you are.

Survivor skins suck also should be replaced with something else.

DUDEEEEE! I want to be a ninja so bad now. More skins is something iv been wanting for a long time. Plus that guy with the hat is pretty bad ass

I have to say; why are they messing around changing core mechanics like that when theres a lot more obvious things needing work?.

My thoughts aswell, he keeps introducing new features which causes more glitches, before fixing the old problems. So it's a never ending cycle of glitches and patches

I was just filling up my tent on the neogaf server when all a sudden I teleported about 2 miles away...

o.o

No one is sure what this is, but it always seems to put you at an earlier position. It's either a huge hiccup with the central server or the least offensive hack around.

My thoughts aswell, he keeps introducing new features which causes more glitches, before fixing the old problems. So it's a never ending cycle of glitches and patches

Have you ever worked in an environment with any kind of development? This is how it's done. Alpha is where you dump all features in and unless they completely break the system you keep going. Beta is tweaking and bug fixing.

This is how it went with Minecraft and it will happen again with DayZ. It's part of the charm and the reason why you shouldn't get attached.

Top Bottom