• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Conceptor

I had found Conceptor.
Without a doubt one of most insane things to ever happen to me in a game ever.. what were the chances. The story continues here -

I had just installed and started playing the game for the first time. It was pitch black, and I spawned at some remote 'Airfield' in the middle of nowhere. Still learning the Arma II basics, I headed up the nearby road intending to look for supplies. Minutes later, I happened across an abandoned gas station and was alerted to the sounds of a swarm of flies around a dead body. It was jammed in the doorway to the gas station, and as such, I attempted to use the game's mechanics to see what I could find. However, it was only moments later that I heard the snarls of a zombie (which scared the shit out of me). Panicked, I quickly turned around from the doorway. I was face to face with a weary Freakinchair.

Frantically, we attempted to identify each other, 'Conceptor, is that you?! At the gas station door?!' 'CHAIR how the fuck did you find me?!' Quick introductions aside and with zombies still swarming around us, we sprinted back up the road leading to the station. Chair was low on blood, out of ammo and in dire need of food, water and supplies. Thankfully, the zombies went down one-by-one and gave us some much needed time to convene about the situation. We pooled our resources and decided to continue down the road in hopes of finding a town or city that could indicate where exactly we were.

What followed our rendezvous was simply another amazing experience.

We came across a large town centred around what was easily a 6-story building with it's own smoke stacks. The town was littered with zombies everywhere and the only way for us to get through it was to sneak around the town, avoiding the zombs like they were patrolling guards. It was intense, so say the least. We continued past the town, scrounging what resources we could from the houses on the edge of town, highlighted by the discovery of a high-calibur hunting rifle. With Freakinchair using the powerful scope as a scouting tool, we continued in the same direction, hoping to find SOME form of identification that could tell us exactly where we were. The previous signs we came across were not on the large game-map we had opened, and without any idea where we were, Ftf and Tomat were as good as lost to us.

It wasn't until we were looking to explore another town that we encountered another player. We had been sneaking down a ditch when, out of fucking nowhere, another player ran right by us. How he didn't see EITHER of us, we'll never know. We quickly headed back up the hill, into a small barn, so we could keep track of this player as we tried to figure out if he was a friend or a foe. 'Friendly' he replied, but his observable actions said otherwise. Upon knowing he had been seen, he immediately went prone and headed right back towards where we were watching him - at one point walking right by a wall where Freakinchair was hiding. Chair attempted to line him up for a kill shot, but his weaving and dashing proved too hard to track in the pitch black, cloudy night. We waited for what must have been 10 or so minutes before deciding to head out in a slightly different direction. Still equipped with the rifle, we scoped out a large hospital with flickering lights in the distance. Chair took up an excellent vantage point while I headed down the hill, knowing he was watching from afar. Unfortunately for us, the hospital was teeming with zombies and was not worth wasting our precious ammo over. A single shot from the hunting rifle would be loud enough to attract the attention of any living or non-living being - something we weren't too keen on.

Discouraged, we trudged on. It wasn't long until we hit a large, unknown body of water. We weren't given much time to find our bearings, however, as Chair noticed another player 80m or so ahead of us. As we lay prone to track his movements, Freakinchair tabbed back into the game and accidentally fired off a shot of the rifle.

A signal for the beginning of our end.

Zombies, from all seemingly every direction, sprinted towards us. Freakinchair, still lying prone, was swarmed almost instantly. We did our best to shoot the zombies as they came, but we were grossly overwhelmed and now totally out of ammunition. Frantically, I bandaged up the injured Chair and we sprinted along the coast, zombies trailing behind us. We ran for miles, taking turns to aggro the zombies so the other could eat and drink as required. We were desperate. We needed food, ammo, and Freakinchair was on his last legs. Even a large beacon in the night sky (lighthouse) on the coast proved to be more trouble than it was worth. It had been stripped dry by an earlier party, leaving us to run in circles around the structure while the other looked for supplies, anything to stave off the pursuing zed-heads.

Having followed nearby train tracks into a town, Freakinchair desperately called out to me. 'Conceptor, I don't think I can make it any further. I'll use myself as bait so you can get away'. I refused - but in hindsight I realize it was inevitable. Chair had collapsed behind me, zombies tearing at his body. I sprinted back, attempting to drag his body away from them, but they were relentless in their assault. Realizing my attempts were futile and that his screams would soon end, I apologized to Chair over mumble and sprinted away. 'Freakinchair was killed', echoed over the in-game chat, signalling that my partner had passed on - put out of his pain and misery.

I trudged on, looking for whatever I could find. At last, a large city with an equally large pier. Stupidity, mourning, call it whatever you want - drove me to climb to the top of one of the large shipping cranes, the kind used to stock up large cross-continent container ships. My climb down was the beginning of my own end. A 10 foot fall broke both of my legs and left me with just a shot of morphine and some painkillers. Injured, I crawled around the city, avoiding the zombies as I could, desperately hoping for some supplies. It was all for naught though. I ran (crawled, rather) into what I thought was a dead body, but was actually just a sleeping/prone zombie. Snarling, his cries attracted others, and together they ended my journey as well, bathing in my survivor blood.

I don't think I can convey in words how awesome it was.

Fuck. Reinstalled ARMA 2 and OA, played them both, combined them, and can get into the game. But the LOD is FUCKED (trees always look like shit even though I have the highest settings enabled) and whenever I press Esc in-game, it freezes on "Receiving".

Reinstalling again.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I keep spawning in the glitched forest and then having to wait 15 minutes while "waiting for response from server". This fucking sucks.

Hugs

Welp, got past one error to find another. It'll let me join servers now (I think) but when trying to join a dayz server I get the following error message:

"You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.dayz_code, dayz_weapons, dayz_equip, dayz_vehicles".

Anyone got any idea what's wrong? I'm assuming I've installed the mod wrong and it's not a problem with the game anymore.

Well, after much fuckery I think my game might actually be working now. Can't wait to get into a server and try this out.

Can you tell me what you did to resolve this issue? I'm having the exact same problem when I try to connect to a server. Appreciate it.

MasLegio

Banned
I like the name Dayz, but I am a big fan of the book World War Z. Other essential reading between games is The Zombie Survival Guide and Day by Day Armageddon. Makes me think of this game so much.

I renamed it to Day Z: The Road Ahead

but playing the fucking game is fucking impossible now....

whenever I manage to get into a game I am in a forest with no sound and no inventory

Anyone have issues joining a server? I've been on a a receiving data screen for about 15 minutes now. I get a no entry bin/config.bin/cfgweapons error as well. I deleted the mod and re installed and still get the same error. I click OK and then it seems to hand at the Receiving Data screen. Any ideas?

KKRT00

Winchester is crap, its not accurate and damage seems off.
Framerate drops when using binoculars are so annoying, it sometimes goes down to 15, from 45 without a reason.

Playing with a friend and sneaking to town and watching for a bandits and other players is awesome. Friend got into watch tower and just observed bandit and survivor near the gas station :)

Advice for everyone, get matches and knife and hunt for animals. Cooked meat is awesome for healing, like essential. Finding place for fire can be pain the ass sometimes though.
Also find some good barns without zombies that You can reloot every day.

Sh1ner

Finally can connect to servers. Now when I get in it just says "waiting for character creator" and it just sits there. Attempting a respawn from menu does nothing. Help? :| I am gonna spend the next 10 mins ordering my new PC parts to make myself feel better.

Mafro

Winchester is crap, its not accurate and damage seems off.
Framerate drops when using binoculars are so annoying, it sometimes goes down to 15, from 45 without a reason.
Yeah my framerate takes a dive whenever I even zoom in with a weapon, very annoying. The game doesn't seem to be optimised well.

MasLegio

Banned
totally fucking impossible to play the mod now..

has anyone successfully been able to join and PLAY on a server the last 2 hours?

If anyone gets to they point of it loading, creating, or retrieving, try to wait it out. Sometimes, I think especially they first time, it takes a good 5 minutes at least. It could be server issues but if you get to that point then you've basically done everything correct on your part. If you're missing anything or didn't install correctly you wouldn't get that far in the process.

totally fucking impossible to play the mod now..

has anyone successfully been able to join and PLAY on a server the last 2 hours?

I haven't been trying the better part of 2 hours too. Wellllppp, just gonna keep on trying.

If anyone gets to they point of it loading, creating, or retrieving, try to wait it out. Sometimes, I think especially they first time, it takes a good 5 minutes at least. It could be server issues but if you get to that point then you've basically done everything correct on your part. If you're missing anything or didn't install correctly you wouldn't get that far in the process.
Well, i've been at this loading screen for 10 mins. easy, I dunno if I should give up on this server and go fishing again or tough it out. Hmmm.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
"waiting for server response" can last a good 10 minutes or more. It's not that the server you're on is having trouble but that the master server is just terribly overloaded. Just wait it out if you want to play. IF you spawn in the forest you're pretty much fucked. Just do your best to make it to a town and gear up.

I haven't been trying the better part of 2 hours too. Wellllppp, just gonna keep on trying.

Well, i've been at this loading screen for 10 mins. easy, I dunno if I should give up on this server and go fishing again or tough it out. Hmmm.

I haven't had a chance to try to play today but it's probably a server issue at this point for you. Are you at the point where you can start seeing chat at the bottom left or still at the server screen with the player names?

WedgeX

Banned
"waiting for server response" can last a good 10 minutes or more. It's not that the server you're on is having trouble but that the master server is just terribly overloaded. Just wait it out if you want to play. IF you spawn in the forest you're pretty much fucked. Just do your best to make it to a town and gear up.

I've been getting by the "waiting for server response."

But then I end up back at the server listings! ack.

Mafro

Can't even play the game any more, every time I spawn I just instantly die and a full hourglass appears on the screen. Have to alt-tab out of the game since the in-game controls stop responding.

I haven't had a chance to try to play today but it's probably a server issue at this point for you. Are you at the point where you can start seeing chat at the bottom left or still at the server screen with the player names?

For me it's a completely black screen that just says Loading.. Think I'm gonna try a new server. Over on the Official Forums, they are talking about how hammered there servers are getting right now.

MasLegio

Banned

so if I spawn in a forest with no audio and no inventory I am in the ACTUAL game?

I have gone to higher ground but have just seen forest and empty fields like I am not in the world.

Wow, this game is so fucking scary at night. I had to sneak past so many zombies through some little run down town, and just hearing them around corners was making me lose my shit .
I imagine it's much less scary during the day but I kinda wish I started playing earlier so I can get used to the game a bit. At the moment I'm just wandering around in the darkness, not knowing where I'm going.

so if I spawn in a forest with no audio and no inventory I am in the ACTUAL game?

I have gone to higher ground but have just seen forest and empty fields like I am not in the world.

If you press G and don't have any gear, I think that's a glitch and you should respawn.

I just killed my first bandit.

I spotted the bandit in a town running around with a markarov. I asked if he was friendly but got no response.

I took out my mp5sd and fired at him a couple of times, he was approximately 300 meters away so my shots fell short. He scrambled and ran into cover but seeing as how my gun was silenced he had no clue where the gunfire came from.

I then sneaked closer and closer until finally I heard markarov fire coming from behind me. I turn around and see 2 zombies giving this bandit chase as he fires 6 shots in close succession.
At this very moment he spots me aiming at him a good 30 meters or so away. He lets out a shot and misses, I did not.

docbon

Wow, this game is so fucking scary at night. I had to sneak past so many zombies through some little run down town, and just hearing them around corners was making me lose my shit .
I imagine it's much less scary during the day but I kinda wish I started playing earlier so I can get used to the game a bit. At the moment I'm just wandering around in the darkness, not knowing where I'm going.

yesss. nice to see you got it working.

Mafro

Tried switching to another character profile and still keep on instantly dying when spawning and can't do anything. Rally fucking annoying not being able to play this.

Going to bed now after 7 hours of trying to meet up with Orgun :/ Had one stupid moment where I killed a single zombie with the sniper and ended up having 13 chasing me. Ended the day with -1200 humanity after purposely killing one guy and then the second guy did not believe me when I said I was friendly and opened fire on me haha. Totally worth the £25 I spent on ARMA :D

Slair

Was just playing some there. Got killed by some sniper douchbag after trying to save someone. Anyway, respawned, i think to the east of elektro, i was heading away from elektro so further east. I come to a pretty big open area with a lone house just sitting there, it's pitch black no one is around i decide to see what i can scavenge, cant enter the house and i need a new gun so i need to go somewhere else. I see a dirt track leading back in the general direction of elektro but into some woods. I think to myself, dirt tracks usually lead to farmhouses and they usually have some guns and shit. So i follow the track making sure to keep off the road to make less noise. I come to a clearing dimly lit by the moonlight. the road continues on ahead through the clearing, i can see an army truck up ahead, it looks fucked, missing a wheel and stuff. I decide to have a look at the truck, i make my way towards the truck, with every step closer the sound of flies gets louder. I'm thinking to myself what fuck fuck happened up there, i'm preparing myself for some fighting. I get there and find around a dozen body bags lying at the back of the truck, no flies though, so i'm scanning the ground in the darkness looking to loot any potential bodies here, i find the bodies a little futher back from the truck, they are sticking out of the ground, a rather large mass grave full of bodies, the sound of flies was almost deafening, the bodies where only partly buried, there were faces arms and legs all sticking out of the ground.

I never saw a single zombie or survivor but fucking hell was it atmospheric. I was pretty much right on top of the bodies before i realised what i was looking at.

Going to bed now after 7 hours of trying to meet up with Orgun :/ Had one stupid moment where I killed a single zombie with the sniper and ended up having 13 chasing me. Ended the day with -1200 humanity after purposely killing one guy and then the second guy did not believe me when I said I was friendly and opened fire on me haha. Totally worth the £25 I spent on ARMA :D

Yea the sniper and enfield are the 2 loudest guns in the game. If you fire it near zombies a large amount of them will hear it and chase you.

Tattooth

Night time is just too much, I had to stop playing.

I was walking up a dirt road, then I lost connection and joined another server and it was pitch black. I was on top of a mountain, on my own and I couldn't see a thing. After running around trying not to fall off any cliffs and die, I found a frigging castle. There was a small tower with a watch on the top, it was only 8pm.

The night time reminds me of my first few times playing minecraft.

MasLegio

Banned
night time is ruined by the UI, walls of bright white text attacks whenever people join.

anyway to change font colour or what messages are shown?

Arucardo

Successful raid mission to Cherno complete, was debating whether I should try the hospital but I don't need medical supplies atm so I didn't bother.

Sneaking around the city by yourself at night is pretty freaky, kept finding dead bandits and players as I made my way around the city. Ended up finding a Revolver with 5 mags and an Enfield with 5 or 6 clips. Sneaked back out of the city the way I came in and I'm half lost now heading north, need to look at the map to get a rough idea.

Top Bottom