• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Gowans

Op Arrowhead bought, I'm sure this mod is worth £15.

Both ARMAs downloading on steam, no need for that patch right steam will take care of it?

Gowans

we need to get a group of gaf survivors going!

yeah done a search for DayZ GAF and nothing in the groups, someone needs to get on that.

Don't know where to start on the ARMA beta patch wall of links, thats not needed on Steam right?

Chinner

Banned
i think the the guy whos making this should totally rip the name from the youtube series "the days ahead". works way better than day z.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Pretty sure it's impossible to join anything at this point. Shit's being flooded with players.

Max

I am not Max
There are seriously 29 servers currently full right now...

What are the chances of GAF getting a private server?

Enco

i think the the guy whos making this should totally rip the name from the youtube series "the days ahead". works way better than day z.
That's true haha.

Much more cinematic :p

I think the number of players is a good thing. It's blowing up so hopefully we'll see more people working on it and bigger/better updates.

More palyers = more support = more awesome.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
There are seriously 29 servers currently full right now...

What are the chances of GAF getting a private server?

I don't think I like the idea of a private server with passwords and whatnot. The whole point of this game is to survive despite people running around being assholes killing everybody.

Max

I am not Max
I don't think I like the idea of a private server with passwords and whatnot. The whole point of this game is to survive despite people running around being assholes killing everybody.
Are you implying there aren't assholes on GAF? lol

Being private doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to have to be friends

I'd just like to say the running animations in this are amazing, and I anticipate some amazing stories to come from this game, even if it's the kind of thing I would never touch myself out of sheer fear of destruction

Black-Box

Are you implying there aren't assholes on GAF? lol

Being private doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to have to be friends

would be cool if we had one, we could split into 2 teams, than have a bunch of people as bandits, could be awesome!

railGUN

Banned
So I finally encountered some survivors last night, after not seeing anyone for the first few hours I played the game.

I had just spawned a new character just off the coast, and was proceeding to find a way across the water channel without needing to swim (didn't want to loose my gear that fast). I heard footsteps, and figured it was probably a survivor, since I'd never seen zombies out there (and I didn't hear any zombie sounds). I creeped around looking for the guy, and eventually we ran into each other. Neither of us said anything, and I got this feeling he was going to shoot me, so I panicked, unloaded a clip into him (or so I thought). He just turned and ran. I think I missed him with every shot. I didn't find a body, so I guess he lived.

Eventually I died and re-spawned.

This time I made my way up the coast, to the outskirts of a village. While slowly moving in, I heard a gunshot. I asked in chat if someone had fired, and a guy named Jack said it was him. He said he could see me, but I thought he was mistaken, because the shots sounded a ways off, but he was sure it was me. A minute later, he made his way to me, and we agreed to work together to take the village. We were in the process of killing a couple zombies, when I saw this silhouette charging me. Instinctively, I aimed my pistol and unloaded, and dropped him. Upon further investigation, it turned out it was a bandit. My first bandit kill. I think he was running from zombies, he didn't fire on us, but I placed his demise squarely on his shoulders, not mine.

During the skirmish with the bandit, a couple zombies had attacked me, which Jack managed to kill, but not before I lost a ton of blood. I bandaged myself, and took a painkiller, but my vision was completely blurry and my heart was racing. I was dying. We worked our way into town, I did the best I could in dispatching zombies, despite my blurred vision. Eventually we met up with another guy, named Beef Wellington. The three of us were attracting a lot of attention with our gunshots and running around, and eventually, in the confusion, Beef shot me and I died.

I fucking love this game.

raphier

Banned
Why don't you guys pool in and rent a server, install Day Z on it? Can even make your own Gaf rules.

The mod heavily relies on modified server files. They are not included with the mod. And the maker is constantly doing work on them that affect gameplay without our awareness.

Nemic77

A GAF server would be awesome!

The only thing i'm not really enjoying right now (besides my current PC running Arma like crap) is that with the servers being full most of the time, the chance to play more than once with players you recognize is pretty slim... A server with mostly regulars from here would be ideal.

oxrock

As of now I don't even see it being possible to play with friends. I can't find a server slot for myself, forget about finding enough slots for friends as well.

raphier

Banned
The alpha was designed to allow for capacity testing on two servers, each running 50 players.

Currently we are running over 40 servers (with 4 more being rolled), with a concurrent player number of well over 1400.

1.5.5 should help a bit. However, we're now maxing out the number of TCP windows can handle on our central server. That means we're need to start doing some really complex stuff at the backend. Effectively we're now running a level of complexity similar to some MMO's. It's going to take a bit of time to sort that out.

Just hope this doesn't break on IGN or anywhere before we get this out. We also had a couple of boxes go down because so many people tried to connect at once they effectively DDoS'd that box.
uh huh. Time for a MMO subscription

Just finished watching the full archive of that Criken stream which was linked a bunch.

http://www.twitch.tv/criken/b/317272124
skip to ~51 minutes in for them finally finding a playable server, then it's a four hour zombie/murder movie.

Funny how it starts off quite light-hearted and full of dicking around, then at some point they all kinda realise that they're invested fully in the situation. Great ending too.
Oh my gosh, hahahahahahaha!

The part around 1:20:00 was freaking incredible, hahaha! When they both turned at the same time... Perfect.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
uh huh. Time for a MMO subscription

Just about to post that. Well not the MMO sub, but yeah overwhelming success and interest is not exactly a good for this MOD right now.

This could make or break the entire thing here and now. If they cant find a way to really improve their central system to allow for a lot more servers to run off it theyre gonna have some big problems cause I dont see the interest in this MOD leveling out, let alone subsiding anytime soon.

tmaynard

I have a few questions about Arma II's settings.

No matter what quality setting or resolution - I always get the same performance. 1920x1080 or 800x600, Highest or Lowest - doesn't matter. I get the EXACT same performance.

Also, the 3D resolution setting. Why is it even a setting? Why can't it be turned off? If you run it at anything other than the resolution you're running the game it looks so blurry that it gives you a headache. So, I can't even understand why that would even be an option.

Is there something I'm missing? I've exhausted all menu options and settings that I can think of. Nothing makes a bit of difference on the performance of the game, it's pretty odd.

Sethos

Banned
I have a few questions about Arma II's settings.

No matter what quality setting or resolution - I always get the same performance. 1920x1080 or 800x600, Highest or Lowest - doesn't matter. I get the EXACT same performance.

Also, the 3D resolution setting. Why is it even a setting? Why can't it be turned off? If you run it at anything other than the resolution you're running the game it looks so blurry that it gives you a headache. So, I can't even understand why that would even be an option.

Is there something I'm missing? I've exhausted all menu options and settings that I can think of. Nothing makes a bit of difference on the performance of the game, it's pretty odd.

3D resolution is basically a supersampling / downsampling option, one of the few games that actually provide that in-menu. Mess around with Video Memory. Put HDR to Normal, Shadows to High max and Post Processing to Low max. If you don't see any benefits lowering GPU processed options, you are CPU limited. ArmA II can take quite a toll on the CPU.

I like the name Dayz, but I am a big fan of the book World War Z. Other essential reading between games is The Zombie Survival Guide and Day by Day Armageddon. Makes me think of this game so much.

oxrock

Please someone tell me there's an autojoin server feature that I just somehow don't know about. Been trying to get into one for coming up on an hour now.

Slair

Please someone tell me there's an autojoin server feature that I just somehow don't know about. Been trying to get into one for coming up on an hour now.

If there is one i dont know about it either.

Is it a coincidence that this mod took off when it got mentioned on gaf? It seems everyone was playing fine, then gaf thread, then server explosions.

Everything is getting hammered after the recent explosion. The first night this thread was made there were only like 10 servers and you could join and leave any easily. The way I do it now us to just find a server I want in and keep pressing enter. Someone will leave eventually and a spot will be open

J-Rock

Banned
This could be fleshed out into it's own official game and someone would make millions on it. So much potential here.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The long waiting and loading times to get into the game is pretty bad, but servers just crashing or denying everyone access due to insane amounts of login attempts is really bad.

Maybe its a good thing I will be away till next monday and cant play. Thats a whole lot of updates that will hopefully make things run a bit smoother by the time I get back. That or this MOD will really go viral and the incredibly mass of people trying to join servers and play will run the entire project into the ground.

The long waiting and loading times to get into the game is pretty bad, but servers just crashing or denying everyone access due to insane amounts of login attempts is really bad.

Maybe its a good thing I will be away till next monday and cant play. Thats a whole lot of updates that will hopefully make things run a bit smoother by the time I get back. That or this MOD will really go viral and the incredibly mass of people trying to join servers and play will run the entire project into the ground.

Like has been mentioned (way earlier in the thread though) and the devs said, this is a true alpha and they weren't really expecting or wanting this many people yet. Everything about it is janky as hell but the idea and even execution on a mechanical level is really fantastic that it's easy to overlook those issues as a mod. They were updating basically every few days before so I'd expect them to keep pumping out updates with the influx of users.

Sh1ner

Arma2 + Combined Ops downloaded through SPRocket.

Hey guys, need some help:
Downloaded Arma2, installed path to: F:\Games\ArmA2
Downloaded AO, installed, same path, I see files such as in arma2OA in ArmA2 container.
Downloaded all bits of Dayz and installed to: F:\Games\ArmA2\@dayz\Addons
including old folder (under Addons) which I believe it not required.

Used the spirit launcher to load @Dayz and combined Ops. Comes up correctly as expansion.

Tried to join any DayZ server. Recieve "connecting failed" error. No more info. Any help?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Like has been mentioned (way earlier in the thread though) and the devs said, this is a true alpha and they weren't really expecting or wanting this many people yet. Everything about it is janky as hell but the idea and even execution on a mechanical level is really fantastic that it's easy to overlook those issues as a mod. They were updating basically every few days before so I'd expect them to keep pumping out updates with the influx of users.

I know. Thats why Im not so unhapppy about being away for a week, there will be a lot of big updates during that time.

CoolS

After trying for an hour or so I just got in on a server, but night in this game is really pitch black, you can't see shit without flares. Is it supposed to be like that?

Had the most insane session last night playing with 3 other buddies over mumble.

The night started off with all three of us eventually dying outside Elektro - overrun by zombies while trying to fill our water bottles at a nearby shore. After respawning in different parts of the world we decided to meet in Bor (or as we like to call it, Bor bot). At around this time a fourth member of our team finally installed the mod, determined to find us, but was still figuring out the controls and getting killed in the process. So there we were, myself, fromthefuture, tomat and conceptor all trying to get to Bor in the middle of the night with nothing to guide us but the moonlight and a rough idea of where we started. I started on the southern end of Elektro - a coastal town on the southeast corner of the map - widely known for its rampant bandit population. I don't think I've been more tense than when I snuck through that town trying to avoid both zombies and gunfire. Eventually I made it to the outskirts only down two bullets and up two dead zombies, a few bandages and 3 cans of coke thanks to a mercifully deserted warehouse that I stumbled upon. I ran into the woods and never looked back heading in a direction I hoped to be west.

Fromthefuture and Tomat spawned in southwest corner of the map at a town called Kamenka. Fromthefuture (henceforth known as FtF) ran into another player, identified as a survivor, called Deemon. With safety in numbers the three of them scrounged what they could in Kamenka finding a lot of supplies such as food, water and flares. While looting the city they killed more than a dozen zombies with each bullet often attracting more and more. Deemon seemed to relish in killing them - often opening fire on them even when they weren't a current threat. He then began to throw flares to light up the city in an attempt to find more zombies, possibly attracting bandits to their location. Ammo counts were dwindling and it seemed as though Deemon had lost his mind. He had become a liability and Tomat made a decision that would haunt him for the rest of his life - he shot Deemon in the head. On impulse Tomat hid the body not realizing that this makes the corpse unlootable. Whether he did this out of guilt or fear we may never know - but we do know that his response to the act was "sorry". And so our two fearless members headed north-northeast to Bor.

After what seemed like an eternity I came out of the woods at a crossroads with a road sign. Excited at the prospect of not actually being completely lost I looked at the sign - 1 kilometer east to Bor. I had made it and I could only hope my friends would do the same. I waited for them at the highest point just west of Bor and stayed prone near the road concealing myself from any wayward bandits. It was then I also realized that I was starving and had no food. Being reassured that my friends had food and were on their way I had no choice but to wait and hope they find me. About 5 minutes later I heard a gunshot from behind my vantage point. Confident in my hiding spot I did not move and a few moments later two people ran right past me out onto the open road. Upon identification a wash of relief flooded over me - I had found my friends.

The three of us then proceeded into Bor and upon finding nothing of value we ventured north upon a dirt path aiming to get to the airfield in hopes of finding weapons or a vehicle. After exploring another village with nothing to gain we came upon a small electrical station with a shed and radio tower at the top of an incline. Tomat proceeded to scout ahead while we waited by the path. Suddenly we heard gunfire and screams... zombie screams. A horde of zombies rushed us at once; There must have been at least a dozen of them. Attempts to connect with Tomat were met in failure as we defended ourselves. I could only assume he was already dead. With only 4 bullets left between myself and FtF and both of us low on blood we finally finished off the last of the horde and moved up to the shed dreading what we would find. In a strange turn of events we found about 5-6 zombies trapped at the top of the radio tower and, upon further inspection, the corpses of about 3 zombies and Tomat at the bottom of the tower. It turns out after expending the rest of his ammo Tomat climbed the tower in hopes of luring the rest of the zombies after him and then jumping off. He hoped they would follow his leap off the tower to add their deaths to his own. We mourned his loss and were sure that we would soon follow him to the afterlife.

We continued north (or what we assumed to be north) towards the airstrip only to run into more trouble. Ambushed once again by zombies we used our last bullets and ran. Following a main road we arrived at a military base where FtF came up with the plan that he would lure the zombies around while I scrounged for a weapon. I sprinted into the first building I could and ran up its winding staircase. At the very top I found exactly what I needed, an AK-47. It wasn't until after I looted it that I realized that it had no ammo and that some of the zombies had come after me. I made a hasty retreat down a ladder that went from the roof to the ground level and searched the nearby warehouses. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Running back out to the open area in front of the military base I saw that FtF was slowing down. During his kiting he had been hit and was slowly bleeding to death. I made a desperate move and attempted to lure the zombies off him so he could bandage himself. This was a mistake as I only succeeded in training a few of the zombies on my own person and the rest on FtF. We were both going to die. I proceeded to run down the main road in hopes of finding help and after about a minute my friend proclaimed that he had passed out and that the zombies were eating him. Shedding a single tear I ran on down the road - completely lost and alone in the world with the exception of a few zombies nipping at my heels. I'm not sure how long I ran down that road but it felt like an eternity. My only salvation would be an open building with usable ammo inside and I wasn't sure the zombies would give me a chance to reload my weapon even if my luck would stretch that far. Ahead I finally spotted my first building, a gas station. With renewed resolve I sprinted forward aiming straight for the open building at the back of the station. Just as I turned past the fuel tanks and aimed for the doorway to the building I saw a man staring right back at me. I had found Conceptor.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
After trying for an hour or so I just got in on a server, but night in this game is really pitch black, you can't see shit without flares. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes. And be careful. Flares attract bandits. You need to find a flashlight or a chem light.

Top Bottom