• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Slair

The one thing i'm disliking about this is that the game time is the same time as the server, it'd be cool if the day night cycle was a bit faster than real time, maybe twice as fast. So nightfall is something that should be prepared for, maybe sacrificing ammo for chem sticks in preperation. I think if it was like this, surviving the night would be a pretty awesome feeling.

Orgun's a brah and given me an old ARMA II key, so I just need to buy OA on the cheap and I'm SO in this.

Can't wait.

May I ask how does this works? I got an extra copy of Arma 2 when GMG had their promotion, but how would someone else be able to use that key if I gave it to them? Is there any legit place they can download the game without having access to my GMG account?

KKRT00

I feel like an idiot asking since similar quesitons continue to be answered, but:

1. I know you need both Arma II and OA. If I buy Combined Operations on Steam for $30, does that handle everything I need besides the mod?

2. If I get Combined Operations on Steam, is there a step by step guide to installing the mod (which is presumably just a matter of copying over files)? I was looking around the thread and OP but maybe I'm blind and missed it.

3. Neither game is VAC protected, correct? So modding and installing this mod will not cause problems with VAC or other (normal ARMA II) anti-cheat systems?

4. If I want to see if my system can run it, the Arma II free version (not the demo) is the one to download on Steam, correct? Or should I get the demo since it's smaller?

1. Yes
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWFv1CUa6Y
3. Yes
4. Whats Your specs?

Arucardo

I feel like an idiot asking since similar quesitons continue to be answered, but:

1. I know you need both Arma II and OA. If I buy Combined Operations on Steam for $30, does that handle everything I need besides the mod?

2. If I get Combined Operations on Steam, is there a step by step guide to installing the mod (which is presumably just a matter of copying over files)? I was looking around the thread and OP but maybe I'm blind and missed it.

3. Neither game is VAC protected, correct? So modding and installing this mod will not cause problems with VAC or other (normal ARMA II) anti-cheat systems?

4. If I want to see if my system can run it, the Arma II free version (not the demo) is the one to download on Steam, correct? Or should I get the demo since it's smaller?

See if Arma X is still on sale first, you'll get all thing Arma released up to this point for 30$/€ including the dlc for Arma 2 that has the high res models for DayZ.

What kind of system do you have?

Max

I am not Max

1. Yes, it is kind of confusing/annoying how they've named it as if it's a completely different entry.

2. Yep, there is actually a step-by-step guide on installing the mod in the Something Awful thread, as well as some pretty good info

3. It has it's own anti-cheat called Battle Eye, there's nothing to really worry about I think

4. I'd say just try out the demo

To answer your questions in order....

1. Yes, Combined Ops is all you need.

2. Yes, read the OP in the Goon forum thread, it has very clear instructions to install the mod.

3. Yea, there is no VAC protection and modding the game will not affect your VAC status.

4. The Arma 2 demo is a very old build and it won't reflect any of the changes to the engine that have been made since. Likewise, Arma 2 Free is newer but still not a completely updated. Still, if you can run Arma 2 Free acceptably, then you should be fine with Combined Ops.

edit - damnit beaten so badly. I'm going sit in a corner and cry now :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Just finished watching the full archive of that Criken stream which was linked a bunch.

http://www.twitch.tv/criken/b/317272124
skip to ~51 minutes in for them finally finding a playable server, then it's a four hour zombie/murder movie.

Funny how it starts off quite light-hearted and full of dicking around, then at some point they all kinda realise that they're invested fully in the situation. Great ending too.

Jesus what a vid... i only saw from 51min to 1h25min.

INSANITY :D

Orgun

Just finished watching the full archive of that Criken stream which was linked a bunch.

http://www.twitch.tv/criken/b/317272124
skip to ~51 minutes in for them finally finding a playable server, then it's a four hour zombie/murder movie.

Funny how it starts off quite light-hearted and full of dicking around, then at some point they all kinda realise that they're invested fully in the situation. Great ending too.

Holy shit this is funny. Only at 1 hour 22 atm.

Fuck I bought Arma 2 on Steam just for this.

My dumb excuse for it was that I had 1€ credit on my Steam account and it would be a waste not to use it.

MGHA

Just got ambushed by two bandits. I had just found a watch and hunting knife too! BASTARDS!

Enco

Just got ambushed by two bandits. I had just found a watch and hunting knife too! BASTARDS!
A great bandit plan would be to go into the woods, lay out some trap items and wait. You can fire some shots to speed up the process. Going with a bandit partner would be safer.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'll play this afternoon some time! I'll get on mumble when I'm ready.

I don't see an official dayz or arma channel. Is there an unofficial meeting channel? Would love to hop on and play with some people that could possibly show me the ropes, or at least other noobs I can have fun being stupid with. =)

Enco

I think I'll wait with Max Payne until these big issues are solved and then I'll jump in.

:lol at the Criken stream. Love this guy.

"I need some donations because I've been dropping all my shit because I don't know how to work this piece of shit inventory system"

Blizzard

Banned
1. Yes
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWFv1CUa6Y
3. Yes
4. Whats Your specs?
Thanks for the help, everyone! If we could collect that info in the OP that'd be awesome, sorry if I missed it.

It looks like the British armed forces pack has the high-res textures, but I guess low-res textures have better performance? I'll just stick with $30 combined pack then rather than $60 for Arma X or whatever. However, I should try the demo first since my computer is terrible. I have a 5850 and an e8400 (3.0 GHz core 2 duo), and if I recall correctly you require an octocore and Thinking Aluminum before you can run Arma II.

*edit* One other thing that concerned me was that some people appeared to have unanswered/unsolved problems using the Steam version, even though there are instructions available. Also I hope they start allowing private servers if the servers are getting so full.

MGHA

However, I should try the demo first since my computer is terrible. I have a 5850 and an e8400 (3.0 GHz core 2 duo), and if I recall correctly you require an octocore and Thinking Aluminum before you can run Arma II.

I have the same card but my cpu is an i5. I was able to play arma 2 at around 25-30 fps on my 8800gt and e8400 before I upgraded. That cpu is bottle necking that gpu tho.

*EDIT* Also for anyone asking for an easy way to install this mod. Just drop all the pbo files from DAYZ into your arma 2 AddOns folder. Not OA.

Still can't get this to work.
I reinstalled both games, but before installing the mod I tried to join a multiplayer match of Operation Arrowpoint. I kept getting the 'Connecting Failed' error, so I updated the game through SixUpdater and now it won't even launch at all.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Still can't get this to work.
I reinstalled both games, but before installing the mod I tried to join a multiplayer match of Operation Arrowpoint. I kept getting the 'Connecting Failed' error, so I updated the game through SixUpdater and now it won't even launch at all.

might just be the servers you are filtering for dayz games right?

might just be the servers you are filtering for dayz games right?

I don't know, I tried various other servers but now the game won't even launch at all since using sixupdater. It keeps giving me some error.
I'm going to manually update the game again, but not use sixupdater anymore. Every time I do, it seems to make more problems than it fixes.

I have a 5850 and an e8400 (3.0 GHz core 2 duo), and if I recall correctly you require an octocore and Thinking Aluminum before you can run Arma II.

Should be fine. 5850 is definitely up to the task and the E8400 should still be OK, but is still holding your 5850 back.

legacyzero

Banned
What's up with the US3,4,5 servers that wont let me join? When I highlight, A red "REQUIRED 1.60.92000" pops up.

What does that mean?

Gowans

I would be down for a new or revamped OT with guide from installing the ARMAs from scratch.

Also do we have a GAF steam community for this?

Top Bottom