• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

I think i'm about to cave in and buy ARMA 2 + expansion to play this.

Anybody making a GAF community for DayZ?

edit: "He's Russian, but he's not THAT Russian" ROFL!! :D

I had ARMA II already, so I just bought operation arrowhead (non-steam version)

I had to copy + paste the data files from

...\ARMA II - PC\AddOns

to

...\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\Expansion\Addons

to get the game working. I still get a single error message but the game seems to play fine. If you don't have ARMA 2 to begin with, just get combined ops.

I had to do the same thing. I also have to launch from "Play ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead" instead of "Launch Arma 2: Combined Ops". If I do the launch one a command prompt shows up, disappears, and it never launches.

I bought the 2 games just to play this (just $30 on Steam)

docbon

Got stuck in one of the coastal towns in the dead of night. Since I was by myself, I tried my hardest to avoid getting the attention of the zombie horde shambling through the streets.

I didn't try hard enough. Got too close to a runner and heard him cry out. I panicked, and fired a shot in the dark. I may as well have rang the dinner bell, because in the next thirty seconds, I found myself pressed against a barn door with a half dozen undead clawing away at me.

r.i.p. first character.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
So the ToD is as your local ToD? The sun's about to come up in the next hour or so here. TEMPTING……

Edit: I misunderstood this. Nevermind.

So the ToD is as your local ToD? The sun's about to come up in the next hour or so here. TEMPTING……

The ToD is based on the server location ToD. There aren't too many servers so it seems like the day ones are full (50/50 or 35/35) and the ones with open slots are night ones, from what I saw during my initial start up.

abuC

Are there any melee weapons? A crowbar or bat would be a necessary secondary weapon in a Zombie apocalypse.

Darknight

I had ARMA II already, so I just bought operation arrowhead (non-steam version)

I had to copy + paste the data files from

...\ARMA II - PC\AddOns

to

...\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\Expansion\Addons

to get the game working. I still get a single error message but the game seems to play fine. If you don't have ARMA 2 to begin with, just get combined ops.

Where did you buy and how much? Thanx!

docbon

Where did you buy and how much? Thanx!

got arma II for free from a greenmangaming promotion, so I bought operation arrowhead from there as well.

edit: curled in a ball behind a cash register at the moment. zombies moaning all around me. this sucks/owns.

DTKT

Are there any melee weapons? A crowbar or bat would be a necessary secondary weapon in a Zombie apocalypse.

No melee combat. The hunting knife is used when cutting meat off dead animals. You can cook that meat and eat it to gain blood.

Kritz

Banned
Anyone from Australia playing? Are there any aussie servers?

I just rebought ARMA 2 and the other one on Steam. I'll let you know. The answer is probably no, but I'll see how many American servers kick for high ping / how bad Arma 2 is on an american server.

I'll post my findings here and in AusGAF. Will take a few hours to download, though.

(I couldn't physically find my Arma 2 retail copy so I just shelled out the thirty bucks to buy CO. I am the ideal consumer.)

wow, I think I had a dream about this game like last year. It was literally ARMA2 with zombies and a focus on survival. This looks incredible.

TheBear

I just rebought ARMA 2 and the other one on Steam. I'll let you know. The answer is probably no, but I'll see how many American servers kick for high ping / how bad Arma 2 is on an american server.

I'll post my findings here and in AusGAF. Will take a few hours to download, though.

(I couldn't physically find my Arma 2 retail copy so I just shelled out the thirty bucks to buy CO. I am the ideal consumer.)

I would appreciate this greatly. About to pull the trigger on the Arrowhead expansion just for this mod. Cheers!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man open world survival throw in some skill trees like construction for building defenses for houses and mechanics for fixing up vehicles medical for fixing up wounds and marksman for making things dead man million+ seller

vazel

Banned
I knew buying ArmA 2 Combined Operations in an Amazon sale for $12 would pay off one day. This game rarely go on sale for a good price so I snatched it up when I could.
Surprised no one has done a sandbox-style game like this with the L4D engine.
Are you kidding, Source would choke on something like this.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hmm... very tempting. Feeling like I should wait for AO to go on sale though, as I'd likely be running into this mod playing solo instead of with a group, which seems like it might amount to banging my head against a wall.

Kritz

Banned
FYI, the US servers do not kick for ping. So if any australians want to play a filthy american server with a ping of 250-300, you can totally do that and everything still kind of works.

I didn't get into shooting zombies, so will update here when I actually start shooting things instead of making friends and running away.

I ran around in the dark by myself for an hour, because I ran off the main road into the middle of nowhere and got lost. Eventually I saw power lines and followed them until I found a small town. Saw a dead body but didn't realize I was dropping my stuff into instead of looting his bag. I lost my gun and other things. I adventured around finding ammo for my now long-gone gun, refilled my water container, and backed round to the house I lost my stuff hoping to retrieve it somehow. There was some random dude just sitting in there in the dark now that legitimately startled me. He was crouched so I didn't notice then suddenly he moved and I'm like oh shit! Eventually 2 zombies killed me because, well, I had threw my gun away.

Quick tip: Don't run to the middle of the woods at night when you have no clue where you're going unless you want to spend a literal hour running aimlessly in the dark.

It's fun but this time I'm sticking to the road and not throwing all my flares away on accident. I have never played Arma so I'm learning the controls as I go. This will be much easier when it's day time.

Orgun

Right, definitely going to get this once I can find Combined Ops for cheap. Already own ARMA 2 vanilla.

Talafas

Neo Member
I already had a lot of fun with this mod. In my first run I killed 87 Zombies, two Bandits and committed one Murder (the other dude shot first, i swear...) Found an AKM in a Tower with two mags which I put to good use. Died after a single Zombie knocked me out through a fence. Chances are pretty high you will die due to some glitch and not your own fault which can be VERY frustrating... but it is an alpha after all.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hmm, not sure if I should wait for a Steam sale or get someone from the US to gift it to me.

Feature

Banned
are there working vehicles in this mod? Would be funny to be driving around a tank and blast down some survivors :D

are there working vehicles in this mod? Would be funny to be driving around a tank and blast down some survivors :D

You find spare parts and have to basically rebuild them, but they are there. I kept finding wheels and motors but didn't have any space for them (and I barely know what i'm doing). The other people in the server were trying to fix one though.

For as janky and open as it is, grasping the basic mechanics like shooting, remembering to reload, inventory management, etc is fairly simple. I'm not a PC gamer much at all and it's been incredibly fun, even in pitch dark.

Wes

venison crêpe
Apparently, there are. I even read a story on how someone managed to repair a helicopter.

There's a video on youtube of a guy running around and then going mental as he hears and then sees a helicopter overhead.

Okay that was fucking intense... Thanks for the videos. I have ArmA II installed on steam, do I need the Arrow Head expansion to play this mod or vanilla game will do ?

Also is there a gaf server or group of player regulary playing the mod?

Top Bottom