• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

ksimm

After a few initial problems connecting I finally get into the game, not really knowing what to expect. I spawn in the day near a few houses on the coast, several zombies are just pottering about looking for their next meal. One is hopping around on all fours like some crazed monkey, and so I decide to avoid it not knowing how close it will get before it notices me.

I look to my west and see a built up town, deciding to stay low and keep to the coast for the time being. I approach a small warehouse, thankfully not having to engage a single zombie so far. As I reach the doors someone in local chat calls my name and asks "Kev are you friendly?" Fumbling for the relevant keys it seems he cannot see my reply. I get a warning "Kev, salute if you're friendly, if not back away".

So now I am in major panic mode, looking for the salute key as I really don't want my first game to end here right now. Success, somehow I found the key and I salute to 1st lt_moselli.

Still unaware how to communicate, my first human contact begins to guide me through some basics, using simple swipes of the mouse I respond by shaking my head. My guide takes me to a small supermarket where we quickly find me some ammo, binoculars and a crossbow. A few local zombies mill around and seem blissfully unaware of our existence, or so I thought. Suddenly my mentor shoots, and I see a bunch of zombies charging the supermarket. I cover the door "Kev, we have to get of here, we're going east!" but before I can follow, zombies are through the door, I shoot one in the head and it goes down, but the other gets to me and takes a bite. Another shot and down goes another, but I can see more further away looking in my direction so I bolt out the door.

I'm alone, running scared and I see no sign of 1st lt morelli, my guide lost, is he dead? I hear no gunfire, the coast seems clear but do I run east or go back, but where is back? I try to retrace my steps and thankfully manage to find the supermarket, there at the back entrance is my guide looting corpses. I bandage up my wound and am given a water bottle. Gear in check we head east and am told we are meeting up with someone called delta.

Out of the town we run low across vast fields, picking off any zombies that get too close. I can see some sort of base up ahead, and a camp fire burning in the distance. We arrived at the base, dead soldiers laid out, a few wandering zombies promptly dispatched as we check a hanger for equipment. After finding little ammo and some beans we exit the hanger and 2 human contacts arrive, I'm hoping this is delta... Thankfully it is, two become four and a little gear swapping later we set off into the fields again, heading for the hills.

Our group goes into a small forest, thankfully not many zombies about but enough to concern me as my ammo starts to dry up. Descending the hill we arrive at an army hospital, dead soldiers everywhere and many zombies both in and outside the camp.

We enter clearing and checking the tents for equipment, but it seems the fences aren't enough and the zombies are soon in the compound, in my panic I let off 2 bolts of my crossbow, nothing hits but thankfully my companions blow the approaching zombie away. I can see I have only a few bullets left an no more bolts.

After some water and food, we're back off into the fields again where a little animal hunting goes down and the camp fire is lit. I choose this moment of serenity to try and work out why I can't speak. "Can anyone read this?", "maybe Kev" I make proper contact at last and am advised to connect to teamspeak, a blast from the past used in my old counterstrike days. Feeling more connected to the group more is explained to me, and we set off up the hill into a large forest.

After finally reaching the top, someone spots a car. No two, with my binoculars I see a jeep and a beat up old car are racing along the road to a built up town. "Those are some rich bandits" I'm told, and it's made clear that we should avoid them, even though we were heading in the same direction. Our destination was a large warehouse, splitting we check up and down, inside and out for equipment. With little found we head into the residential area close by, but with few bullets and many zombies I'm starting to feel anxious. Sweeping a house we find some gear, and luckily for me 2 bolts for my crossbow. The zombies are growing restless it seems, some storm the house and shots are going off all around me as I stumble around for my gear.

We rush outside, but shots are fired towards us and a human contact is firing in our direction from the warehouse we left earlier. "Are you friendly?" no reply, dispatching oncoming zombies our guide calls out again "If you're not friendly and threaten us, we will engage you!". A swarm of zombies come down on us, and I watched my friends shooting franticly. I knew a miracle was needed to survive, but it never came.

"Get out of here, everyone to the warehouse", we sprint, I hear a scream and curses as my guide is taken out, not by the zombies but by the human contact in the warehouse. I don't know where the others are, I jump over a fence but I'm bitten again, running, running for the warehouse seems futile. I go for my crossbow and fire, but I forgot to reload. Looking behind me I see 8+ zombies sprinting, I'm bleeding heavily, gun shots at my feet. "Damn you human contact, why?" *bang*

These were the 4 hours of my first DayZ, bless you 1st LT Morrelli, delta, and horse may you all rest in peace.

Thank you for making me aware of this amazing mod, I've never experienced this kind of atmosphere and paranoia before. The zombies in this game may play a large part, but it's the human element that makes it far more frightening. You don't know if the people you meet are going to be friend or foe. Perhaps they will join up with you, guide you if you're new, or simply put a single bullet in your head just for a can of beans and some bandages.

Still on the fence? Take a leap of faith, I promise you this is one open world you need to experience!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
damn, these stories... can't resist buying CO.

THAT IS WHAT STALKER MMO SHOULD HAVE BEEN, not this session-based bullshit.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man watching a guy with like 10 runners chasing him and nothing you can do about it sucks well at least i got the food he left behind when they took him down

WedgeX

Banned
Just bought CO from steam!! Downloading right now! Going slow :( 1 mb/s damnit!

So whats the recommended way of getting this? I see Gamersgate, Sprocket and Steam are available, but I've seen people having problems with their Steam copies.

Orgun

So whats the recommended way of getting this? I see Gamersgate, Sprocket and Steam are available, but I've seen people having problems with their Steam copies.

Gamersgate was cheaper than steam, that sealed the deal for me

Nemic77

Cherno sure is a shithole, zombies, bandits and bodies of killed players everywhere... But the allure of good loot always makes it of my first spot to look for good equipment, even with the danger of bandits lurking around.

The general idea is to loot the southern coastal towns, stock up on food and water, since you currently can't refill water on ponds, and then make my way up north for better weapons.

I have been getting killed by bandits a lot though. Maybe i'll try my hand at PKing soon... Sounds like a fun experience.

fanboi said:
Yeah... he "died"...

Admit, you shoot him to make the zombies eat him.

I would

Hahaha I did not! Though as I'm finding surviving harder and harder, I might have to start thinking in my own good from now on...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Odd, Steam is listing at 29.99 for the bundle, and Gamersgate at 49.95. I guess Steam wins this round...

You don't need vanilla ARMA II for this I believe but I have ARMA II on GMG. Was going to pick this up on Steam seeing it's 19.99.

Amazing stories all aroud. I liked the "rich bandits in jeeps" part best. Imagine if some groups of people communicate and cooperate (for example SA goons) and create a semi-society that just roams about killing all thatis living and unliving. Imagine they must have some kind of leader... Imagine being that guy. Awesome. Constant paranoia mode. Now imagine some other group forming (reddit) just for the sake of killing the other groups leader.

Pretty amazing possibilities with this mod.

Arucardo

You don't need vanilla ARMA II for this I believe but I have ARMA II on GMG. Was going to pick this up on Steam seeing it's 19.99.

You do, actually. It's played on the island from vanilla Arma II but needs some features like the backpacks from Operation Arrowhead.

EDIT: Beaten, with a stick.

Amazing stories all aroud. I liked the "rich bandits in jeeps" part best. Imagine if some groups of people communicate and cooperate (for example SA goons) and create a semi-society that just roams about killing all thatis living and unliving. Imagine they must have some kind of leader... Imagine being that guy. Awesome. Constant paranoia mode. Now imagine some other group forming (reddit) just for the sake of killing the other groups leader.

Pretty amazing possibilities with this mod.

Indeed, if only they could increase the player limit above 50 per server.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The mod is using assets from Arma II and OA as said previously. You need them both, connected.

I just read. I don't want to spend 30 just to play this mod. Trying to be frugal with the only Steam funds I will have for a while (70). Trying to make them last until I get in better shape as I just moved into a new place.

Talamius

Alright GAF, I'm sold. Gonna check this out tonight. The mix of running zombies and roving player bandits like those from the original Dawn of the Dead sounds amazing.

Ignignort

Just had the best gaming experience with 2 people from AusGAF and 5-6 randoms. Friendships were forged!

Sniperguy if you are reading this, I'm sorry I plotted to kill you.

Slair

Been trying to get this working for like an hour, every time i try to connect to a server i get "recieving data" which stops and never continues or "waiting for server response/creating character" and nothing happens, i can see people talking in chat but it never continues past that point.

Download the lastest Battle Eye Client and Server DLL and copy into the Arma Battleye Folder and to the Operation Arrowhead Folder.

ksimm

Been trying to get this working for like an hour, every time i try to connect to a server i get "recieving data" which stops and never continues or "waiting for server response/creating character" and nothing happens, i can see people talking in chat but it never continues past that point.

That sounds like a BattleEye problem, try reinstalling the latest patch over the top and choose yes to install BattleEye. I was having the same issues and this fixed it.

So I've just had another 2 hour session, the first 10 minutes ended up with a group of people trying to rescue some guy being chased down by zombies and I ended up getting mauled so bad. There were 6 humans on the coast all stating they were friendly when someone pops me in the head... lol :[

The game after I am still alive 2 hours later I think, chased up the top of 6 flights of stairs by 8 zombies. I've killed them all but sadly only have 1 clip left and a tin of beans.

Here's a tip for people new to DayZ / Arma II.
In the server browser, click filter and in the mission textbox type DayZ. It makes finding a suitable server so much easier.

Newbie survival guide http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=58

Just bought Operation Arrowhead, hopefully I'll be able to try this mod out tonight if I have time. Although, I doubt the download will even be done by then.

Kritz

Banned
Just had the best gaming experience with 2 people from AusGAF and 5-6 randoms. Friendships were forged!

Sniperguy if you are reading this, I'm sorry I plotted to kill you.

YEAH MAN

So I livestreamed our entire game. All five hours of it. Here's a link to it if you want to relive memories.

So, in text, what ended up happening was me, Cryptik and Ignignort jumped into the NYC5 server. We met two guys while me and Cryptik were walking to Elekt, and although one was a bandit, we decided to trust them. Only a few minutes later, we got in a firefight with some guy camping the roads. We managed to kill him, but both me and the american got tagged. We were stable, but had only 2000 blood each. We were a fucking mess. By pure chance we run into Igni, who had spawned not too far from us, near the big lighthouse between the two cities.

So us as a four man group started our way to Elekt. We checked out a town, found nothing, and then met one other guy. He said he just came from there, and that the city was dangerous and there were no blood packs in the hospital. As we had just come from Chenop, we decided hope was better than practicality so we kept walking. Most of us were pretty chatty on global, and so when we ran across people, they knew we were friendly. Or hoped we were.

By the time we hit Elekt, we had seven people in total. We were on the outskirts of the town, when suddenly a shot rings out from one of the towers. We hide behind a bus shelter, and take potshots at him. We clearly had the numbers, and seven barely armed players got the best of him easily.

We raided his tower, grabbed supplies, and started going through the town. The zombie count was only around 100, and it seemed most of those zombies were in front of us. Hitting the hospital, we break in and start looking through. To our amazement, we found three whole bloodpacks. We healed up, stocked up, and were ready to leave. But due to us being so vocal in chat, a smaller group of better armed players were waiting for us. They raided the hospital we were in, and a firefight ensued. We escaped, killing all of them and only one of us died.

Sheltering in a nearby school, we surveyed the town for snipers or other threats. By this point we had around 10-14 people, and it was crazy.

Not all were on our side, however. One guy decided to run outside and kite 20 zombies to our position. We killed him, and the zombies, and made a run to the east. We had our destination, we were going to the northeast airfield.

This is where the stream starts.

After numerous failed attempts at raiding villages for supplies, we were whittled down to seven people. After trudging north for fifteen minutes, we noticed something odd. There were now 0 zombies on the server. So, we left, joined another. Only five made the transition. But, hey, on the "bright" side, there were a thousand zombies waiting for us.

From there, two hours of banter, exploration, starving to death and hope. Hope was the most important part. Because without hope, I don't think we'd have made it.

Well, those of us who did.

--

Steam Screenshots:
"Cruxifiction"
Priorities (semi-nsfw)

ksimm

Something I've noticed, some servers switch off the crosshair and external view, so don't freak out if things are different and you think certain keys aren't working.

Arucardo

The thing about people using TeamSpeak in this is that TS3 has directional audio, not sure if Mumble has it working in Arma also.

Slair

never changed anything and it randomly started working, must've just been server trouble :S Time to get playing

Eccocid

This sounds damn awesome!
Dunno if i can run it on a bootcamp macbook pro 2011.

Spawning as a random zombie would be hilarious too.

WedgeX

Banned
The wait for this to download is killing me!

Can't wait to play with some gaffers at some point. And for TheNIX to betray me.

Nemic77

I'm having trouble joining servers. I think the weekend demand is taking it's toll.

Me too. Haven't been able to play in the last hour. When I do connect, I get stuck in debug mode with no weapons - I spawn in the wilderness surrounded by motionless player models. Kinda creepy actually.

I'm picking up a microphone tonight for sure, it's about time. We need a team speak GAF server and shitz. I really want to get playing with some GAF later. Right now my character is idling, prone, in shrubbery somewhere undisclosed :)

I'm picking up a microphone tonight for sure, it's about time. We need a team speak GAF server and shitz. I really want to get playing with some GAF later. Right now my character is idling, prone, in shrubbery somewhere undisclosed :)

no mic programs should even be used as the game has a built in directional audio. So its more immersive to just use the ingame chat

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man me and my friend lasted a while this time but man once your out of ammo you are just 100% fucked they need to add some melee weapons or something

legacyzero

Banned
So what is the easiest way to meet up with a friend when you join a server....

It sucks getting put in some random place and getting lost/killed/murdered/killed/lost/murdered.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So what is the easiest way to meet up with a friend when you join a server....

It sucks getting put in some random place and getting lost/killed/murdered/killed/lost/murdered.

it spawns you on the coast so i go by what light house it spawns you by theres 2 one up by cherno and one by elektro

Top Bottom