• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cause it happened before he decided to turn into an asshole seen in BvS?

It's the reason he's an asshole in BvS lol. You really think Bruce is cool with Joker running around and busting out Harley? He may be a bit busy with impending alien doom and all, but he can't be okay with it.

This is probably the only time it would work, with Bruce trying to get over the anger of the past and trying to start being a hero again. You can not like the idea of a UTRH movie, but it's not out of left field.

Cause it happened before he decided to turn into an asshole seen in BvS?
If Metropolis didn't turn Bruce into an asshole, then what happened after Suicide Squad...
Red Hood would fit either way.

To us nerds Red Hood is pretty old but he is a great villain that the general public hasn't gotten to see much of.
Court of Owls would be good but need to be set up.

Wouldn't be opposed to a Red Hood story if they go mix it up and have the mystery revealed at the very start. It'd be interesting if Batman is still sort of conflicted and you have Jason and Dick appealing to his brutal and heroic sides. Catalyst being Joker or some villain causing trouble; it'd be bold if the movie opens with Batman arresting Joker, and that's all you see of him. And maybe the main villain/mystery is Hurt/Black Glove or Hugo Strange, who is the brains behind your Deathstroke and other goons going after Batman.

Yager

Banned
The title of the thread should be changed to "LionPride doesn't like anything (and be damn sure he'll be here 24/7 so everybody knows what stuff he doesn't like)".

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I sometimes wish everyone could enjoy all these comic book movies/tv shows like I do. Then no one would fight, haha. I just tend to go with the flow and enjoy the ride. Flash, Legends, and SHIELD were all so awesome tonight I can't even sleep. I've just been reading reactions and can't wait till I get into work tomorrow to talk about them with my co-workers.

I sometimes wish everyone could enjoy all these comic book movies/tv shows like I do. Then no one would fight, haha. I just tend to go with the flow and enjoy the ride. Flash, Legends, and SHIELD were all so awesome tonight I can't even sleep. I've just been reading reactions and can't wait till I get into work tomorrow to talk about them with my co-workers.

The fact that we get 20+ episodes of these shows a year, week after week is something I really respect.

okdakor

It's not about being dark, it's about being negative. Lots of people watch films, especially superhero blockbusters, for fun and escapism. Emphasizing on suffering makes it weird.

"Fun and escapism" is the key, and also it doesn't help when you have a situation where you hesitate bringing kids to a superhero movie... a movie with Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman. I can't imagine a kid wanting to play these guys after seeing BvS, or wanting to come back for a 2nd viewing with friends or family.

Bleepey

BvS is grim as hell. Lion Pride, you cray.

Even tho it's grim, it is ultimately a hopeful movie at the end. But let's not pretend blowing up a house of government and assassinating senators is something blockbusters usually do. And BvS handles it with the proper dignity.

People are talking about this film like it's the bastard love child of Seven, Requiem for a dream and Dear Zachary. I saw it as serious and whilst I an see why people think it took itself and the medium too seriously and if honest too realistically, I wouldn't say it was the most bleek film ever made.

"Fun and escapism" is the key, and also it doesn't help when you have a situation where you hesitate bringing kids to a superhero movie... a movie with Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman. I can't imagine a kid wanting to play these guys after seeing BvS, or wanting to come back for a 2nd viewing with friends or family.

Yup,
almost makes Burton and Nolan's feel like sunshine and rainbows.
(the end of TDK though I admit that tension was crazy)

Other than literally just Batman Superman and Wonder Woman being there, I don't see how a kid could enjoy it.

Ahasverus

BvS hopeless tone is its best thing. Fuck escapism, it goes for the jugular and smashes it to the ground until the very end. That's what I call balls. Terrio da gawd.

What worked for me was precisely how serious everything was, loved it, and Zimmer's music really drove the point home. But I admit I got out of the theater exhausted

I'm grateful Snyder and co had the balls to make the movie so bleak. It is however, probably one of the last movies I'd recommend to someone looking for a superhero movie to watch.

IconGrist

I would say the only comic book property I can't seem to enjoy is Agents of SHIELD. Try as I might I just don't like it. Haven't had that issue with any other show.

Blader

I want to believe, but there's so much smoke surrounding the DCEU that it's hard to have hope.

It's impossible for Batman to hit in 2018, right? It just kinda crazy that WB is entering that year with Aquaman alone.

I posted this a couple pages back, but Gotham City Sirens is also likely for 2018 since it has a director, a star, and a script; plus, it has been rumored that Margot Robbie would roll into shooting Sirens this summer after she finishes I, Tonya. Shooting this summer should be enough time for it to be ready for summer 2018 release.

But Batman seems pretty unlikely to make the cut for next year, especially if Affleck's own exhaustion was a major factor in him dropping out of directing. Even if they found a replacement today and they agreed not to rewrite the script at all and the new director needed no more than a month or so to get ready, I imagine Affleck will still want to take a bit to comedown from Justice League and Live By Night and take his time in ramping back up into Batman mode. If burn out was a problem for him before, I can't imagine he'll want to jump right back into the very thing that was burning him out.

jrush64

Banned
While I loved the movie, I did not like the tone at all. Every movie doesn't have to be fun and escapism, it just shouldn't be hopeless and grim like that.

While I loved the movie, I did not like the tone at all. Every movie doesn't have to be fun and escapism, it just shouldn't be hopeless and grim like that.

At the very least if it was a typical Superman he could have broken it up a bit and been a compelling counter to an extremely dark Batman.
But nope "teh arc" required a bland/asshole Superman to fight a super dark asshole Batman.

LionPride

Banned
At the very least if it was a typical Superman he could have broken it up a bit and been a compelling counter to an extremely dark Batman.
But nope "teh arc" required a bland/asshole Superman to fight a super dark asshole Batman.
One of my biggest problems with BvS was the fact that Superman did not advance as a character from Man of Steel. Like, if he was, ya know Superman in the beginning of the movie, but if people's reaction to him made him appear to be as charasmatic as white bread then I'd be slightly more fine. Instead, he's just bland as hell from the jump and I feel no connection to him and even lost the connection I had from Man of Steel

Penguin

I would say the only comic book property I can't seem to enjoy is Agents of SHIELD. Try as I might I just don't like it. Haven't had that issue with any other show.

I'm so so on SHIELD.

Wasn't keen on Constantine. Liked the actor, but the show never found its footing.

I don't watch Lucifer much, like the lead, but the show hasn't done a ton for me.

Powerless is just a chore and about to drop that.

Also dropped Preacher, but that was more like just not having time for another show at the time.

Other than that, I think watch and enjoy everything else.

LionPride

Banned
I'm so so on SHIELD.

Wasn't keen on Constantine. Liked the actor, but the show never found its footing.

I don't watch Lucifer much, like the lead, but the show hasn't done a ton for me.

Powerless is just a chore and about to drop that.

Also dropped Preacher, but that was more like just not having time for another show at the time.

Other than that, I think watch and enjoy everything else.

Preacher wasn't good, SHIELD is the best comic show ever, Constantine just needed more time, Powerless grabbed me with this third episode, Arrow is the best CW show by a wide margin this year, Legends is second since they cut the terribleness that was Vandal and Hawks, Flash has declined in quality since Season 1 but it's still something I watch, Supergirl was the second best and now they've fallen down a mountain. Legion looks to be the new hot shit that's really good, was pleasantly surprised.

One of my biggest problems with BvS was the fact that Superman did not advance as a character from Man of Steel. Like, if he was, ya know Superman in the beginning of the movie, but if people's reaction to him made him appear to be as charasmatic as white bread then I'd be slightly more fine. Instead, he's just bland as hell from the jump and I feel no connection to him and even lost the connection I had from Man of Steel

Exactly

firelogic

It's more like in Man of Steel he was a freshmen rookie. In BvS he hit the sophomore slump. In Justice League he'll be a junior all-star. In Justice League 2 he'll be a senior MVP.

I like the gradual progression.

Edit: Agents of SHIELD is terrible. I didn't like Constantine. I wanted to like Preacher but it didn't hit. Gotham is touch and go. Some episodes are great, others are fast-forward worthy. Flash season 1 was great but it's been on a decline (haven't watched current season). Arrow was great in season 2 but it's been on a steep decline (haven't watched current season). I liked Supergirl season 1 (haven't watched current season). Legends of Tomorrow is terrible. Daredevil is overrated. It's just merely mediocre to good. Jessica Jones was terrible. Haven't watched Luke Cage. Haven't watched Powerless.

The problem with the Netflix comic shows for me is that they seem to only have enough material for 6 or 7 episodes but then they drag it out to 13. Not to say the network tv series are chock full of content each and every episode but because of the Netflix format (all episodes available at once), plus the longer episode durations, I feel it a lot more.

LionPride

Banned
It's more like in Man of Steel he was a freshmen rookie. In BvS he hit the sophomore slump. In Justice League he'll be a junior all-star. In Justice League 2 he'll be a senior MVP.

I like the gradual progression.

Edit: Agents of SHIELD is terrible. I didn't like Constantine. I wanted to like Preacher but it didn't hit. Gotham is touch and go. Some episodes are great, others are fast-forward worthy. Flash season 1 was great but it's been on a decline (haven't watched current season). Arrow was great in season 2 but it's been on a steep decline (haven't watched current season). I liked Supergirl season 1 (haven't watched current season). Legends of Tomorrow is terrible. Daredevil is overrated. It's just merely mediocre to good. Jessica Jones was terrible. Haven't watched Luke Cage. Haven't watched Powerless.

The problem with the Netflix comic shows for me is that they seem to only have enough material for 6 or 7 episodes but then they drag it out to 13.
Jessica Jones is fucking good as hell. Luke Cage is good. Legends is fine this season. Arrow has been good since Season 3 really since Season 4 is just Season 2 again and 5 is legit. SHIELD is great. Tell me how it's not.

Also, Man of Steel was his first day on the job, made sense. BvS, aight you've had time to have people love you, why you fuckin round being an uncharasmatic stale ass dude

LionPride

Banned
Is that really how you define Superman though? His personality?
Yep. He's one charasmatic, wholesome, boy scout son of a bitch. Just don't mess with those he cares about or he will hurt you. I love the character of Superman. Always have. I liked him in Man of Steel. I strongly disliked everything about him in BvS.

Yep. He's one charasmatic, wholesome, boy scout son of a bitch. Just don't mess with those he cares about or he will hurt you. I love the character of Superman. Always have. I liked him in Man of Steel. I strongly disliked everything about him in BvS.

This.
What else is there?
Supporting cast - 2nd only to Batman's, movie definitely fails them as well.
Powers - OP and almost boring, certainly doesn't define who Superman is as a character.

LionPride

Banned
This.
What else is there?
Supporting cast - 2nd only to Batman's, movie definitely fails them as well.
Powers - OP and almost boring, certainly doesn't define who Superman is as a character.
I already think Amy Adams is meh, but her Lois ain't shit. It upsets me

I'm fine with his parents because a reasonabld parent would say "You ain't GOT to do anything, now what you choose to do is on you."

Ninjimbo

I would say the Superman we saw in BvS IS Superman. He does everything Superman would do like save Lex, fight for his ideals, sacrifice himself for the greater good. The entire film is about questioning why we need him in the first place and he's looking for those answers as well. I don't get how he's not acting like Superman.

Is he not allowed to get frustrated or questions things a little bit?

Ashhong

You got to remember that in the time between the two movies, Superman is basically being persecuted by the media and public. It doesn't seem like people really accept him yet. Honestly, they should have made the time skip only a year or so max. Three years is a long time and yes, he probably should have won people over by then. But, the movie does clearly show how and why he's not our Superman yet. The ending shows everyone accepting him so in JL I imagine a much different Supes. Then again, there will probably be no time to show him going around saving people

Also shield sucks.

firelogic

Jessica Jones is fucking good as hell. Luke Cage is good. Legends is fine this season. Arrow has been good since Season 3 really since Season 4 is just Season 2 again and 5 is legit. SHIELD is great. Tell me how it's not.

Also, Man of Steel was his first day on the job, made sense. BvS, aight you've had time to have people love you, why you fuckin round being an uncharasmatic stale ass dude

We couldn't be more polar opposites when it comes to comic book movies/tv hahaha. He hasn't had time to have people love him. Only enough time has passed for some people to love him and others to hate him. It's not until the end of the movie when the world sees him sacrifice himself to save them that he becomes universally loved. That's the set up.

4th movie to see Superman actually act like Superman?

Not 4 movies. He was Superman in BvS. He might not have been all happy-go-lucky but that's understandable considering the circumstances surrounding his existence. But yeah, you'll start to see the more "traditional" Superman in Justice League. I just tried to apply the evolution of his character using a phenom college basketball player. I think he won't be "100% your" Superman in Justice League because he's going to be coming back from the dead and I'd imagine, not until at least the halfway point of the movie, or maybe not until the last quarter for the final fight.

LionPride

Banned
You got to remember that in the time between the two movies, Superman is basically being persecuted by the media and public. It doesn't seem like people really accept him yet. Honestly, they should have made the time skip only a year or so max. Three years is a long time and yes, he probably should have won people over by then. But, the movie does clearly show how and why he's not our Superman yet. The ending shows everyone accepting him so in JL I imagine a much different Supes. Then again, there will probably be no time to show him going around saving people

Also shield sucks.
An opinion that's wrong but an opinion nonetheless

Yager

Banned

LMAO.

BvS is the first time since Superman 2 I felt Superman in live action resonated with me. He's Superman in all the ways he should be, but put in a deeply cynical and relatable world. Throughout the movie you see him trying to do the right thing and being told he can't. And it's not hard to see how it's demoralizing after 30-odd years of hiding who you are. But by the end he doesn't lose sight of it, no matter how much he wavered. And seeing it contrasted with Batman and Wonder Woman, who have lost their way, shows his strength of character. That said, obviously it could've been handled better. That I'm the exception for liking Superman in BvS speaks to that.

IconGrist

BvS is the first time since Superman 2 I felt Superman in live action resonated with me. He's Superman in all the ways he should be, but put in a deeply cynical and relatable world. Throughout the movie you see him trying to do the right thing and being told he can't. And it's not hard to see how it's demoralizing after 30-odd years of hiding who you are. But by the end he doesn't lose sight of it, no matter how much he wavered. And seeing it contrasted with Batman and Wonder Woman, who have lost their way, shows his strength of character. That said, obviously it could've been handled better. That I'm the exception for liking Superman in BvS speaks to that.

It kind of bugged me the reaction to CW Superman.

Both episodes him and Supergirl spent the entire time patting each other on the back. "Look how SUPER we are!" Supes gets in J'onn's face about kryptonite even though their possession of it kept the Kryptonians from killing millions of people, if not more.

The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking "This is not Superman" and then I'm reading reactions like "WB could learn a thing or two" or "I hope Snyder is watching". I really hope he wasn't because it was a terrible interpretation of the Man of Steel.

Yager

Banned
I mean, you can be wrong all you want. I won't fault you much

giphy.gif

jrush64

Banned
Jessica Jones was the meh-est marvel show. Daredevil season 1 was great, season 2 started off well but fizzled out at the end. Luke Cage was great too.

Agents of SHIELD is just alright, not too great not too bad.

It kind of bugged me the reaction to CW Superman.

Both episodes him and Supergirl spent the entire time patting each other on the back. "Look how SUPER we are!" Supes gets in J'onn's face about kryptonite even though their possession of it kept the Kryptonians from killing millions of people, if not more.

The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking "This is not Superman" and then I'm reading reactions like "WB could learn a thing or two" or "I hope Snyder is watching". I really hope he wasn't because it was a terrible interpretation of the Man of Steel.

I'd take
latest

over both.

Dysun

Gotham has gone from trash to good to mediocre, but one thing I cant deny is that its the best looking comic book property on TV.
A Batman movie taking inspiration from it is a good thing

Penguin

Gotham has gone from trash to good to mediocre, but one thing I cant deny is that its the best looking comic book property on TV.
A Batman movie taking inspiration from it is a good thing

I'd say it went back to great near the end of the mid-season of the current season

(try breaking that sentence down), but the Jerome stuff is probably some of the best stuff from comic media this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom