• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Aquaman should be a pulpy adventure movie with Arthur and Mera battling sea monsters and trying to recover artifacts from Atlantis that Black Manta swiped.

shingi70

Banned
Aqua man has enough to foes to do a horror, action, or political film. Wan is pretty versatile with the first two so it makes sense.

The Knightmare needed to showcase the League or at least give context to the flash showing up.

strafer

It's hard not to make that connection you know.

3xTbNUN.jpg

BadAss2961

The Knightmare is fine. It's a cool glimpse at another timeline. Just roll with it and you'll enjoy it.

The e-mail stuff was clunky though.

Penguin

Ultimately, I have no idea where you put the Knightmare sequence as it doesn't pay off in the movie.

I'd suggest putting it at the very beginning because would help feed Batman's paranoia about Superman, but I love the intro and you also miss out on Bruce during the Black Zero event from MoS.

Put it at the end and it's more of a WTF ending than some curious hook.

Ultimately, I have no idea where you put the Knightmare sequence as it doesn't pay off in the movie.

I'd suggest putting it at the very beginning because would help feed Batman's paranoia about Superman, but I love the intro and you also miss out on Bruce during the Black Zero event from MoS.

After the Destruction of Metropolis maybe? I don't know either

Ahasverus

A MoS sequel should adapt a semminal Superman story, it can't be "another movie" as it's a miracle it's even happening. Any suggestion other than All Star?

It'd be a killer intro with adjustments. Although when I talking about those adjustments, I end up describing X-Men DoFP.

Say, rather than Kryptonite, it's a tachyon device. In the battle you start with Batman and his human squad getting worked. Flash and Aquaman save him, but the parademons show up and things get dire. Batman sets Flash to travel back; Bats and Aquaman sacrifice themselves to buy time. Flash runs off into his portal. From there it goes into the Black Zero attack. After that you get Bruce looking at the Batsuit, instead of before the party. Play the Beautiful Lie flashback, also intercut with shots of Bruce looking at the suit. Continue as normal.

Cut Superman from the Knightmare entirely. Later when Flash pops up, keep what he says vague. Personally I'd shy away from conveying Superman as evil even in the nightmare. That 1% Cheney BS shouldn't be supported at all.

Effect

This why I think the lead in and out are the issues. Well more so the lead out. Having Bruce fall asleep while waiting for the files to decrypt is fine. Having something happening around him to indicate something is triggering that vision would have been better. Like seeing the portal Flash comes through starting to form but behind Bruce but we the audience see it. Then after he wakes up we see the portal fully open.

I would have had Flash, if he isn't already in the possible extended version of the Knightmare scene, show up in the vision so people knew who it was more clearly. That might have helped.

I also would not have had Bruce waking up a second time. That was a big mistake and makes things even more confusing as to what happen. Having him be fully awake when the Flash disappears works better. It still leaves him confused and provides more of a shock when he goes through the files. It plays more into him wanting to find him and the others at the end.

IconGrist

I suggest getting rid of it altogether. I can imagine sitting in the office, Snyder doodling his little doodles, thinking to himself, "goddamn this would be fuckin' awesome!" And it is. If it was just part of some Injustice movie adaption. As it is it has no benefit within BvS. It's entire point was basically the beating of a dead horse. Like he put it in just in case he never got to do it later on.

The Knightmare sequence feels like something you have to continue going back to in future movies to make it worth it. It was cool, but unnecessary.

a916

I suggest getting rid of it altogether. I can imagine sitting in the office, Snyder doodling his little doodles, thinking to himself, "goddamn this would be fuckin' awesome!" And it is. If it was just part of some Injustice movie adaption. As it is it has no benefit within BvS. It's entire point was basically the beating of a dead horse. Like he put it in just in case he never got to do it later on.

The transition was rather clunky as was the "who is that, is that Flash? It is Flash? but I thought it was a dream..."

Either make it a dream, and we know Bruce is asleep, not some jarring edit. And he wakes up and his paranoia grows. (because Bruce is very troubled)

Or show the Flash running around and seeing the Knightmare sequence and THEN he runs back in time to warn Bruce (this would have to happen before the movie I think, there's no way to introduce Flash without interrupting the flow of the movie, in the beginning it's easier, you can say "in the year 2050 or something")

The same issue I Had with the email section... way too forced and clunky. Could've handled it a million times better. Like maybe when Batman is like "there are others" at the end of the movie, you move into a sneak cameo of Flash and Wonder Woman goes I know another, cue Aquaman, roll credits.

Penguin

I... was told that during initial test screenings people suggested it was remove.

We heard that Terriro took it out of his screenplay.

So it was truly Zack's baby and he wanted it above all else.

IconGrist

I... was told that during initial test screenings people suggested it was remove.

I'm wondering if the rumored Superman nightmare sequence is in the Ultimate Cut. Maybe the Knightmare sequence fits better thematically if Superman has a similar experience. I know Snyder mentioned it in the EW article and we'd heard rumblings about it here and there.

Effect

I'm wondering if the rumored Superman nightmare sequence is in the Ultimate Cut. Maybe the Knightmare sequence fits better thematically if Superman has a similar experience. I know Snyder mentioned it in the EW article and we'd heard rumblings about it here and there.

If there is a nightmare scene for Superman then that helps to better explain the conversation he has on the mountain. While as it stands it leads one to believe Clark has nightmares about what happen at the Capitol but maybe he continually has them. People he couldn't save? Zod's death and that fight? Etc. Him coming to terms with that by remembering he has Lois in his life, via the talk, plays into his final words to her.

Ninjimbo

That's probably what it was on Snyder's part. How often do you get to do a project like this anyway? A project where you're giving a massive budget and creative leeway on pretty much everything? Snyder going all in seems pretty plausible especially if you take into account that he is going to be working on these movies for almost a decade. If I were in charge of something like this, I'd definitely want to make sure that what I was working on was something I really wanted to do.

On that note, I don't really understand why the Knightmare sequence has to be taken out. Can most people just be okay with it being this tiny part of a larger movie? There's this fixation in a lot of people to want all these movies to be pristinely constructed where every second counts for something and I don't know if I'm okay with that. I like it when things get a little messy sometimes. Maybe the Knightmare scene doesn't really fit anywhere, but it might work as a tease for other things that could happen in the future.

I'll see how I feel about it after I watch the UC.

IconGrist

If there is a nightmare scene for Superman that that helps to better explain the conversation he has on the mountain. While as it stands it leads one to believe Clark has nightmares about what happen at the Capitol but maybe he continually has them. Him coming to terms with that by remembering he has Lois in his life, via the talk, plays into his final words to her.

It would certainly add to that conversation with his father. Superman's nightmare sequence is supposed to be about the Black Zero event so it would line up with Jonathan's story about feeling like a hero but ultimately being responsible for a tragedy as result.

On that note, I don't really understand why the Knightmare sequence has to be taken out. Can most people just be okay with it being this tiny part of a larger movie? There's this fixation in a lot of people to want all these movies to be pristinely constructed where every second counts for something and I don't know if I'm okay with that. I like it when things get a little messy sometimes. Maybe the Knightmare scene doesn't really fit anywhere, but it might work as a tease for other things that could happen in the future.

In that instance the Knightmare sequence could be in the middle or at the end of the credits. Self-contained where it doesn't interrupt the flow of the movie. I love that sequence but it feels like it was just slapped in there with little regard to it's effect on the viewing experience.

Ahasverus

The Knightmare sequence is a big problem because it's not clear whether it's the future or a dream. If it is the future it should have been put at the end. If it's a dream if should have replaced the bat nightmare.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Knightmare sequence is a big problem because it's not clear whether it's the future or a dream. If it is the future it should have been put at the end. If it's a dream if should have replaced the bat nightmare.

It doesn't matter what label you give it. The point is that Bruce sees a future where Superman has turned bad. Wether it's a vision, his worst nightmare, it's irrelevant.

The problem is there are so many scenes to cut from that Snyder chose to leave in and so many scenes that he could have expanded on that he didn't. While the inner nerd in me appreciated it visually, I hate that we got the Knightmare scene as it ultimately had no payoff. Snyder could have used that time to perhaps expand on the first time Batman meets Superman in costume instead we get a terse exchange of words and basically everything we saw on commercials was the extent of the conversation. I think the movie required a lot from audiences, people like me appreciate it more because I know the lore but when my sister, for example, saw the movie she didn't like it because she didn't understand much of what was happening.

However when my cousin came into town and wanted to watch the movie I dragged her with us to view it a second time. And to my surprise she really liked it the second time around because she knew a little more of what was going on. And that's my main problem with the film. There's a good movie inside there, you just have to know where to look. Ultimately that is why I have turned on Snyder. I used to think that the criticism of him caring more about visuals than substance we're just hyperbolic statements as Watchmen and Man of Steel were excellent films. But I guess when it comes to creating his own vision he doesn't do as good a job as when he's adapting material or under Nolan's thumb. WB definitely has learned from their mistake and is putting him on a leash for Justice League. That is why I'm not so worried for JL, I think Snyder when given restraints and not the keys to the kingdom, is a far better film maker.

To the last point, I love that we got a glimpse of The Flash and the other Super Friends but I agree with the concensus that the way they're introduced was just so rushed it would have made for a better post credit scene or not included at all. In fact I really hope WB starts including post credit scenes in general because I'm not sure about everyone else but both times that I saw the movie after the there was no post credit scene to be found the audience groaned in disappointment. People now in days expect these scenes to be at the end of the movie for superhero films. The last thing you want is having the audience leave on a bad note, so I really hope WB reverses their stance.

Merely the seconds of footage in the UC trailer answers, or at least softens some sticking points of the film.

As an example, Superman pushing Batman down and through the building was a weird moment. You can make educated guesses as to why. Many settled on calling Supes an asshole. But seeing Clark investigate Batman, a woman basically tells him Batman is too stubborn to listen to reason; he only understands physical force. So when he confronts Batman, tries to talk, and Batman won't listen, Superman's actions make some sense.

Oh boy, a Forbes article by Scott Mendelson talking about DC. This guy should tithe his earnings to WB or Zack Snyder at this point.

Yup he wrote the: Why 'The Flash' Is The Most Problematic DC Comics Movie article. It's just typical click-bait BS, it doesn't really phase me.

I remember him specifically because of that sinister ass profile pic. Upon further examination, I don't think he's a DC fan... some would say he's the reverse...

tWnPmcO.jpg

PLIgTSx.png

I don't think I ever commented on it, but I think that Ultimate Edition trailer was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing it. The new stuff looks like it should add quite a bit of context and stuff to the movie, which should hopefully help a lot. There was some awkwardness with the movie...though, I did enjoy it quite a bit regardless. Not sure if I should wait for the Blu-ray, or try and watch it through the digital release. Will that be available to rent? I don't feel like paying $20 for a digital movie. Heh.

-----------------

In other news, here's a better look at the Mattel DC Multiverse 12-inch Suicide Squad figures than the ones I posted in the old thread.
They're available from ToyWiz, which is where the pictures were posted...but they're $46-$50 there, and these should be $30 in retail stores, so I'd just wait if you were interested in picking them up.

I'm personally waiting on the 6-inch ones myself. I don't know if the 12-inch Deadshot comes with an alternate head with the mask on (doesn't look like it), but the 6-inch one thankfully does. For the 6-inch ones, I'm planning to get Deadshot, Harley, Katana, and maybe Boomerang. There's also Batman and Joker figures. Each figure comes with a piece to build Killer Croc.
I think the 6-inch ones look a lot better so far than their larger counterparts. No pictures of the 6-inch Harley exist, though, as far as I'm aware.

Loxley

Pack it in guys, the dream is dead. Forbes: 'Ninja Turtles 2' Box Office Is Terrible News For 'Justice League': http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/06/ninja-turtles-2-box-office-is-terrible-news-for-justice-league/#417e6957318f

This guy just gets his rocks off trolling hyper-sensitive DC fanboys, its better to just pay him no attention.

The Knightmare sequence itself is really good.

The Knightmare sequence in the context of the movie isn't... since there is no context

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

tim1138

Those look like the new 52 runs, awful.

He just needs to read Waid & John's run, and maybe Silver Age Flash.

Two two on the bottom are the new Johns Wally West collections, the third from the top is Rebirth, and I'm guessing the other non N52 spines are Johns pre Flashpoint Barry run.

Boke1879

Two two on the bottom are the new Johns Wally West collections, the third from the top is Rebirth, and I'm guessing the other non N52 spines are Johns pre Flashpoint Barry run.

He's just probably reading all sort of material to get a feel of the universe. No foul in that.

Yeah, I figured as much, still not the complete run though :/, DC should be able to supply him with the omni's or just give them all to him digitally.

My hype for IJ2 grows, and that ultimate edition sounds way different in a good way than I anticipated.

tim1138

Yeah, I figured as much, still not the complete run though :/, DC should be able to supply him with the omni's or just give them all to him digitally.

My hype for IJ2 grows, and that ultimate edition sounds way different in a good way than I anticipated.

There's something to be said for not completely overwhelming the dude with the subject material, especially since the screenplay is already written. I'm sure Johns will hook him up with whatever he would want or need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom