• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I loved the character intros in Green Lanterns this week.

Hi, it's me Jessica Cruz. I'm the Green Lantern of Earth!

I'm Simon Baz. Being a Green Lantern is awesome. Green Lanterns do awesome stuff.

Just read some of today's books:

- JL Rebirth. I liked it. They handled the new old Super-man very well. Will continue reading. But the story shows how the League lacks/miss Martian Manhunter.
they had to rely on Aquaman "I can hear something..." instead of actually telephatic contact the Harvester.

- Batman #2. King is King.
But my impression from Rebirth one-shot was that the Gotham heros weren't soo rookie. They seem to have a plan. Well they might....

Now Green Arrow.

Green Lanterns #2 was cool but man that art was sloppy after the first few pages. Lol at Jessica getting a Green Lantern ring and being completely useless with it. If they had gave her a yellow one she could solo Darkseid with her scaredy self.

Superman #2 was great but I'm still not seeing why they had to get rid of new 52 Supes to have him married to Lois and with a child. It's like they want an easy out to bring back single Superman without any marital drama. It's so dumb though.

Jetman

Will pick up the new Justice League and Superman, on the fence for Aquaman. Noticed we got an artist change-up (for the worse) on it. I guess we can expect this kind of rotation twice a month now, huh?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Justice League: Rebirth (First book today), was good. Good introduction to the Justice League for people new to our world.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Green Lanterns #2 was cool but man that art was sloppy after the first few pages. Lol at Jessica getting a Green Lantern ring and being completely useless with it. If they had gave her a yellow one she could solo Darkseid with her scaredy self.

Superman #2 was great but I'm still not seeing why they had to get rid of new 52 Supes to have him married to Lois and with a child. It's like they want an easy out to bring back single Superman without any marital drama. It's so dumb though.
Kind of puts his relationship with Clark in an odd position too. It'll be like they're starting back from square one. Years of relationship building wiped away. Potentially, things will always be weird between them.

Lashley

Why is everyone hating on Aquaman? It was alright.

One problem though -

Manta earlier states he'll kill Mera to bring pain to Arthur, yet in this issue
he agrees that if he kills Arthur he'll have nothing, he can't bring pain to him etc....But he could kill Mera? That would hurt Arthur more than anything else.

Lashley

Superman #2 was amazing.

Legit making me fall in love with Superman, a character I've never liked much (Besides All-Star Superman).

Just amazing.

Aquaman was dope and I don't get the art complaints. It looked pretty nice and was consistent unlike Green Lanterns which looked god-awful at times.

I don't know if I like Black manta's cliffhanger. He had the chance to kill Aquaman and decides to end the blood feud only to start it up again in the next issue? I hope Aquaman just groans and fishhooks his ass when he next shows up trying to start shit.

Lashley

^ the story in Aquaman definitely didn't make sense, it didn't move forward at all. Totally nonsensical, a shame.

Green Lanterns #2 - Ehhh, not sure how I feel about it. Quite run of the mill.

Lashley

Batman #2 - I hate Finch's art.

Also, "I don't even trust Alfred" ? What the fuck is this?

Nothing happened.

At least
Hugo Strange
is back.

Green Arrow left to read, my most anticipated.

EDIT:

Green Arrow #2 - Err...John Diggle? Fine, whatever.

Good issue though, and that art is amazing

Neither of the two DC Rebirth issues I gave looks this week left a positive impression. King plays with some interesting ideas in Batman #2, and the villains are of the less-used, never-abused variety, but execution and substance are sorely lacking. The art team of Finch/Bellaire is still not my cup of tea, and your comic has a serious problem when the title character is the least exciting person in your comic -- EVERYONE in this issue was more interesting than Bruce/Batman. He is the gray-painted brick wall of this comic. And Justice League #1 was just awful, I don't even know what to say. I could forgive Hitch's sloppy writing, bland generalizations, and alien threat ripped straight from a video game, IF his artwork was on point; unfortunately, it looks rushed and sloppy and heavily referenced (a fact made even more obvious by the sloppiness). And I just knew that outside her own book, Wonder Woman was going to become the "grieving widow" following the death of New52 Superman.

MartyStu

Batman #2 - I hate Finch's art.

Also, "I don't even trust Alfred" ? What the fuck is this?

Nothing happened.

At least
Hugo Strange
is back.

Green Arrow left to read, my most anticipated.

EDIT:

Green Arrow #2 - Err...John Diggle? Fine, whatever.

Good issue though, and that art is amazing

I actually sort of like Finch's art now, and I am usually pretty picky. I am not blown away, but I am definitely adjusting.

And he is joking about Alfred.

jph139

Justice League was pretty shit. An absolute non-entity of a comic. Nothing even remotely memorable.

Green Arrow was decent, sort of a buildup issue but the art was good. And Batman I liked as well. King really nailed Gordon's voicez and I'm interested in Gotham/Gotham Girl as characters. Hopefully they're not smears on the pavement by the end of this arc...

And yeah, I don't really get the hate for Finch. He's no Capullo but he's decent enough, and the gritty, pencil-heavy style suits the book.

Justice League was pretty shit. An absolute non-entity of a comic. Nothing even remotely memorable.

Green Arrow was decent, sort of a buildup issue but the art was good. And Batman I liked as well. King really nailed Gordon's voicez and I'm interested in Gotham/Gotham Girl as characters. Hopefully they're not smears on the pavement by the end of this arc...

And yeah, I don't really get the hate for Finch. He's no Capullo but he's decent enough, and the gritty, pencil-heavy style suits the book.

Justice League was just a
What is the Justice League?
Who's on it ?
What can they do ?
Setup issue.
With a tad bit if foreshadowing.

Weirdly it felt much less compressed than some of the other Rebirth issues. Probably because the villain and plot were pretty obvious one and done throw aways.

Effect

Only had a chance to read Superman #2 and Justice League Rebirth. I loved Superman. Especially that splash page, I think that's the term, toward the end.

Justice League was interesting but a bit weird. I couldn't help but think about
Mass Effect and the Reapers
as I was reading it. They kinda took me out of it. I wish more time was spent on the League having concerns and issues about the new Superman. I'm looking forward to the first issue though but at the moment I'm thinking I might just wait for this to be collected in a trade as this didn't really grab me as much as I hoped. I have to make cuts so if the Rebirth and first issue aren't doing it for me compared to the others even if it is interesting it will be cut going forward. It's just a straight up money issue at this point.

MartyStu

Justice League: Rebirth

This was pretty bad. Not only is the art dodgy, but the story was just too throw away for something of this scope.

I hated this so much, that is easier to list the stuff I liked:

-The Joe Mad variant
-Superman's thoughts at the beginning of the story
-The sheer size of the creature

Hitch needs to either tighten up or get a real writer. The story or the art can suffer. Not both.

Batman #2

I generally like reading King, so I enjoyed this as well. That said, this setup better pay out in spades.

As I said, Finch is fine. His colorist is covering his several fuck-ups though.

One minor detail I would like to discuss is King's Batman. I am really liking this approach. It is really nice to see some of the anal-retentiveness that is to be expected from him without the associated paranoia.

Green Lantern #2

Both the art and the story is still pretty rough, but Humphries is actually doing a very solid job. Particularly when it comes to delving into the personal lives of the lanterns. I enjoyed learning about Jessica so much that I was actually bummed when the story moved back to the present. I very much look forward to discovering why the ring chose her. I am convinced that we may actually get an interesting answer here.

Baz's 'Emerald Sight' is pretty cool too. I wonder if Jessica gets any new powers as well?

Green Arrow #2

I am staying away from all of this until this arc is much further along. I am in no mood to deal with fake-out shenanigans.

Superman #2

Good story. Fails to quite stick the landing though.

SuperOrez

Kinda late to the party on Rebirth 1. I loved it though. I'd been collecting trades instead but now I'm going monthly. I think I'm gonna go all in with Batman but is there a title that will fillow up on the Dc rebirth stuff? I assume Juatice league but now I'm curious about flash.

My pull last so far:
Batman
Detective Comics
Justice League
Trinity

I just signed up for MU too. =

I loved the character intros in Green Lanterns this week.

Hi, it's me Jessica Cruz. I'm the Green Lantern of Earth!

I'm Simon Baz. Being a Green Lantern is awesome. Green Lanterns do awesome stuff.

That second line cracked me up. I won't mistake it for good dialogue, though.

Green Arrow was awesome this week, too.

I liked the Green Latnerns line, but you can tell that Humphries is playing around a little trying to figure out what he wants each character's voice to be; I can forgive some awkwardness.

MartyStu

I liked the Green Latnerns line, but you can tell that Humphries is playing around a little trying to figure out what he wants each character's voice to be; I can forgive some awkwardness.

Totally. I think he may actually have a pretty good grasp on Jess. I definitely love her already.

Feels really weird to give him props. Hope he does not screw it up.

tim1138

I don't think it's awkward at all, I think Humphries is doing really solid character work. Jessica is earnest, but uncertain and a nervous talker, so she just rambles. She may know the provenance of her ring but she doesn't think she's earned it. He also plays all that up to make her completely relatable and super likeable.

For Simon being a Green Lantern is awesome. In the short time he's had his ring, it got him out of Guantanamo Bay, he used it to help prove he wasn't a terrorist, saved his brother from a coma, saved Guy and his family from the Third Army, teleported across the universe with B'dg to take on Black Hand, got sucked into the Dead Zone, went head to head with Sinestro, tracked Sinestro back across the universe after getting out of the Dead Zone, was able to wear the White Lantern ring and almost made it work, and was there for the final battle against Volthoom. He's all bravado because hell yeah being a GL is awesome!

You could remove the visual cues from the narrator boxes and know which one was talking. I'll gladly give Humphries props.

Disappointed to hear about the reception for JL, JL is almost always a sure buy from me but I might pass on Hitch's run. It's always been DC's biggest book to me, maybe next to Batman, but certainly in directing where the universe is going.

Anyway, what all has been announced/what are we expecting for sdcc? I know Justice League action will be showing up, I'm unsure if DC will want to unveil new books while they're still launching wave 2 & 3 of Rebirth. I think at the very least they'll unveil the JLA ongoing (which some of you have said will be JSA), and they have mentioned LOSH and Shazam in the past.

- Batman #2. King is King.
But my impression from Rebirth one-shot was that the Gotham heros weren't soo rookie. They seem to have a plan. Well they might....

That one shot seemed like it was written a lot more by Snyder, than it was by King, to me. Who knows how that whole thing actually worked, but it just furthers the reasoning it should have been written solely by King.

Disappointed to hear about the reception for JL, JL is almost always a sure buy from me but I might pass on Hitch's run. It's always been DC's biggest book to me, maybe next to Batman, but certainly in directing where the universe is going.

Anyway, what all has been announced/what are we expecting for sdcc? I know Justice League action will be showing up, I'm unsure if DC will want to unveil new books while they're still launching wave 2 & 3 of Rebirth. I think at the very least they'll unveil the JLA ongoing (which some of you have said will be JSA), and they have mentioned LOSH and Shazam in the past.

I don't think DC has ever done simultaneous Justice League books well (apart from maybe Classified which was a "here is a tale of the Justice League don't sweat the continuity too much" book). So I'm hoping it's not yet another JL book to conflict.

I don't think DC has ever done simultaneous Justice League books well (apart from maybe Classified which was a "here is a tale of the Justice League don't sweat the continuity too much" book). So I'm hoping it's not yet another JL book to conflict.

I'm curious as to what lineup would make up a second JLA book. Firestorm, Shazam, Hawkman, Stargrl are a few that I don't think have landed anywhere post rebirth. They could throw GA and Atom on there as well.

GeeTeeCee

I just read Batman #2 now. It's nice to see a Batman who is a little more approachable as a human being compared to how other writers might choose to portray him. Slowly getting used to Finch's art, and overall I only have one incredibly minor nitpick with the issue:
Gordon jokes about what it must be like to fight crime with a mask on, apparently ignoring the fact he was Batman not too long ago

It was also nice seeing the Incorporated costume hanging in the cave.

I just read Batman #2 now. It's nice to see a Batman who is a little more approachable as a human being compared to how other writers might choose to portray him. Slowly getting used to Finch's art, and overall I only have one incredibly minor nitpick with the issue:
Gordon jokes about what it must be like to fight crime with a mask on, apparently ignoring the fact he was Batman not too long ago

It was also nice seeing the Incorporated costume hanging in the cave.

It was never public knowledge Gordon was Rabbatman was it ?

kmfdmpig

This week's Rebirth titles were not quite as strong as some of the previous weeks', but I liked Green Arrow and Batman. Superman was fairly good. Aquaman was passable, but not great. JL was poor. Looking at the next few weeks there are a lot of titles I'm looking forward to. Next month we'll again have a dark week with no Rebirth issues.

The Flintstones comic was legitimately good and was a surprise. Like Star Trek the different setting makes the social commentary hit much better than it otherwise would.

My rankings for this weeks Rebirth titles:

Green Arrow>Superman>Batman>Green Lanterns>Justice League>Aquaman

Green Arrow continues to be great, I'm really liking the focus on Superman as a dad, and I came around on Batman.

I liked the banter and character stuff with Baz and Jessica more this issue than the last two, but I still just don't really care to see more of the Red Lanterns.

Justice League just seemed like a weird thing to do for a Rebirth issue. I feel like it should have just been the heroes perspective on what happened in the last issue of Superman with Batman and WW going to see him. Maybe something with the League getting the GL's acquainted with what they're doing with them supposedly training them. I feel like it should have just been more of a set up for the team with the new additions and instead it was a huge threat with some of the team talk on the side. Wasn't feeling it.

Aquaman just seemed blah. Don't really know what to say, a whole issue fight that was anti-climactic and mostly dumb.

One minor detail I would like to discuss is King's Batman. I am really liking this approach. It is really nice to see some of the anal-retentiveness that is to be expected from him without the associated paranoia.

Yeah I really like how King has such a good voice for the character already. He can pull out the emotion as we saw at the end of issue 1 but also he's got the workmanlike voice of Batman down 100% too going by this second issue. Straight professionalism.

Also as an aside I will always read Gordon in Gary Oldman's voice and it works so damn well. I truly believe he owns that role 100% no matter who else voices/portrays the role after him.

Also as an aside I will always read Gordon in Gary Oldman's voice and it works so damn well. I truly believe he owns that role 100% no matter who else voices/portrays the role after him.
I used to do that, but the way Finch draws Gordon has me reading him as Bryan Cranston instead.

Dalek

Green Arrow is still the best Rebirth book by far. Too bad about Justice League, it was the pits. Wasn't thrilled so Green Lanterns either.

Ross61

I might be in the minority's but Superman & Detective Comics> Green Arrow

Something I don't think will be discussed to much is them reintroducing John Diggle early on and establishing him as an important character in Oliver's life. Diggle's is imo the best character in the series. Integrating him into mainstream DC, adding a new poc character in return, is a smart move by DC.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.avclub.com/article/diana-gets-definitive-rebirth-origin-wonder-woman--239373

Wonder Woman 2 preview

qriLYAQ.jpg

Sharps art is really good but this Diana in the preview is so much better imo. I do not like how Liam draws her face. Looking forward to rucka's origin arc.

Which reminds me I gotta pick up grant morrisons own stab at wonder woman too sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom