• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Question about Rebirth itself:

Did it explain away
the time discrepancies in New 52?

TheFlow

Banned
Sharps art is really good but this Diana in the preview is so much better imo. I do not like how Liam draws her face. Looking forward to rucka's origin arc.

Which reminds me I gotta pick up grant morrisons own stab at wonder woman too sometime
Morrisons version is great

Question about Rebirth itself:

Did it explain away
the time discrepancies in New 52?

Kinda sorta. New 52 is explained as being the result of two separate forces: a mysterious entity (almost certainly Dr. Manhattan) literally taking away 10 years from the DCU, and Pandora mixing in the Vertigo and Wildstorm universes into the DCU. So you COULD chalk up the time issues to Pandora trying to patch up what Manhattan undid, but kinda half-assing it.

A lot of them are probably still only explicable as continuity errors, tho.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Kinda sorta. New 52 is explained as being the result of two separate forces: a mysterious entity (almost certainly Dr. Manhattan) literally taking away 10 years from the DCU, and Pandora mixing in the Vertigo and Wildstorm universes into the DCU. So you COULD chalk up the time issues to Pandora trying to patch up what Manhattan undid, but kinda half-assing it.

A lot of them are probably still only explicable as continuity errors, tho.

I still have no idea how Pandora did all of that...

Birds of Prey Rebirth? I'm not entirely excited for it, but I'll give it a shot. I'm more interested in the Batgirl book.

That's next week isn't it ? And Batgirl is the week after. It looks like the Rebirth issue for Batgirl and Birds of Prey is the same book. Birds of Prey #1 doesn't launch until August 17.

Nightwing Rebirth is out this week. That's worth checking out for me at least. Grayson actually got a pretty good wrap up considering how abrupt it was (better than most of the Rebirth wrapups). Nothing else I'm really hyped about. I am looking forward to Tec since after issues ending it seems like the actual plot will pick up this week.

That's next week isn't it ? And Batgirl is the week after. It looks like the Rebirth issue for Batgirl and Birds of Prey is the same book. Birds of Prey #1 doesn't launch until August 17.

Huh, that's weird. I did a search for comiclist this week week and it sent me to two weeks out. I thought it was weird Aquaman was on the list.

Hal Jordan and Nightwing this week? That's much better than Birds of Prey.

And New Super-Man this week? This a hell of a week.

kmfdmpig

what we hyping this week?

I'm curious about Hal Jordan and the Corps and Nightwing. Hopefully Hal Jordan and the Corps gets to focus on the corp. The Tomasi run on the old Green Lantern Corps was good comics and I'd like to see something get back to that style of focusing on the group and exploring smaller characters from other sectors.

Curious about New Super-Man, but not sure if it will be good.

I'm looking forward to Detective a lot as I quite like this run so far.

I'm curious about Hal Jordan and the Corps and Nightwing. Hopefully Hal Jordan and the Corps gets to focus on the corp. The Tomasi run on the old Green Lantern Corps was good comics and I'd like to see something get back to that style of focusing on the group and exploring smaller characters from other sectors.

Curious about New Super-Man, but not sure if it will be good.

I'm looking forward to Detective a lot as I quite like this run so far.

I'm really curious what is going on in Hal Jordan with the aftermath of The Green Lantern Corps book and with them all seemingly off world dealing with something big and Earth getting a lot of Lanterns as if preparing for something big. All seems like it's building to something big, but I hope the Hal book will handle it all well.

Ross61

Since Doomsday is back again, I'm going to assume that he's the one Rob Williams teased about being apart of Suicide Squad. But how the hell do you convince that juggernaut to play nice.

Hmm. Tec is interesting.
Kind of wondering how a military outfit gets a reasonable duplicate of Batman's training though. Not like the League's top assassins offer group training courses (and a lot Bruce's mentors are similar sketchy / tetchy) . I guess they observed Batman's techniques and then found less accomplished trainers ? Considering they took him 3 on 1.

Nightwing Rebirh is very solid. Wraps up the hanging stuff from Robin War / Grayson and gives Dick motivation and direction and defines his place in the world. Probably one of the better Rebirth issues. It does lack a hook to really draw in new readers though. But it would have felt too compressed like the other Rebirth issues if they had.

TheFlow

Banned
Nightwing Rebirth #1

everything I needed it to be and more. Great dialog, great setups, and
The owls are back in black

5/5

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
quick question - is now a good time to read Fletcher's run on Batgirl?

should be wrapped up, right? any other good runs recently end?

TheFlow

Banned
New Super-Man #1

Ok this book has no right being soo good. Felt like I was reading something from Image till the last couple of pages. I think I enjoyed this more than Green Arrow rebirth.

Edit
Edit: No wonder the book was so good then. Gene Luen Yang is behind some of my favorite :01 books. American Born Chinese and level up.

Yea this book is great hands.Can't even think of anybody else more qualified to write this book
5/5

MartyStu

Hmm. Tec is interesting.
Kind of wondering how a military outfit gets a reasonable duplicate of Batman's training though. Not like the League's top assassins offer group training courses (and a lot Bruce's mentors are similar sketchy / tetchy) . I guess they observed Batman's techniques and then found less accomplished trainers ? Considering they took him 3 on 1.

Nightwing Rebirh is very solid. Wraps up the hanging stuff from Robin War / Grayson and gives Dick motivation and direction and defines his place in the world. Probably one of the better Rebirth issues. It does lack a hook to really draw in new readers though. But it would have felt too compressed like the other Rebirth issues if they had.

Wait, a Batman story
has a trio of no names take him down?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Flash, see some people disliked it, why?

I enjoyed it, excited to see what happens following that last page.

Not sure where he got that number from. See the image I've linked
And I wouldn't call them no-names considering they're military trained and we don't know the extent.

LAST PAGE OF THE PREVIOUS ISSUE:
http://i.imgur.com/3Up5NLx.png

The images in this issue of the takedown seem to show 3 pretty consistently. Not sure if that means the previous horde was cliffhanger drama or if he took down a bunch first. Its also possible that it was just too awkward to fit more than that many in the panels and they aren't supposed to be the same 3.

Actually on further consideration of that final page, and the condition we see him in, when they do take him down, its probably b) and/or c). What we see are the ones that manage it and the costumes make it impossible to tell if it's the last 3 or it was still a mob fight and it was just impossible to show more than 3 on panel while still having something that looks like a convincing fight/beatdown.

And ex-special forces is the Gotham equivalent of a competent non-combatant most of the time so no names is probably fair for standard military but yeah you're right we don't know just how well funded and trained this group is so it may not be fair to them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read GL Corps

Er, why is Sinestro an old man? What have I missed?

But yeah, that was shit. From Venditti so no great shock.

tim1138

Rebirth rankings for this week:

Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Nightwing
Flash
'Tec

Not a bad book among them.

I really need a Nightwing arc where he teams up with Damian and Midnighter, that has to happen.

TheFlow

Banned
Rebirth rankings for this week:

Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Nightwing
Flash
'Tec

Not a bad book among them.

I really need a Nightwing arc where he teams up with Damian and Midnighter, that has to happen.

wonder woman above new super man? now I gotta read it

I'm gonna wait until Wonder Woman is in trade and has separated the Year One and modern day issues. The way it is, I'd have to skip every other issue if I wanted to do a re-read of either arc.

I thought that Hal Jordan & The GL Corps was... actually, not half bad. Art was abysmal, but the writing was solid. I like the way Sinestro speaks in this, it's kinda flowery, but the slightly elaborate prose works for me.

VanWinkle

So Nightwing Rebirth was the first in this line [that I've read] that I didn't think was good. And Paquette was at the least impressive I've ever seen him.

On the other hand...New Super-Man. Holy crap. I ADORED it.

Ross61

Man, DC's gonna be fucking stacked this October. All the Rebirth books will have all rolled out, all the mini-series, and the Hanna-Barbera books too.

Xis

Ooh, Sinestro is on sale. I'm interested...

How important are the events for him (Future's End and Godhead)? I don't really care about either, but will I be lost by skipping them?

Future's end is completely skippable. Have not read Godhead yet.

MartyStu

Yup. Without a doubt. Also, with what I have seen so far, I feel that Detective Comics is the stronger of the Bat-Books.
Based Snyder. Forgot he's not writing this one.

I think King's book may pan out better in the long run, but 'Tec's quick rev up has been pretty impressive.

Just like all of the other weaker Rebirth #1s, Hal Jordan's problem is that its so focused on where the character has been you don't get a feel for where he's going. Its even worse here since Vendetti doesn't explain some key things like why Sinestro's so old. I'm going to give it one more issue to lay out the plan for Hal but if that doesn't click this will be my first dropped Rebirth book.

On the hand hand, New Super-Man was a delight. Kenan was a jerk without being a psycho and we've already got a great feel for his world in Shanghai. Only quibble is that some of the colors seemed washed out. Otherwise this is a 9/10 book for me.

Hawkman and Adam Strange mini announced

Weird they're going to push Katar Hol version, I much prefer the Egyptian version.

Still, DC's cosmic side could use more expanding. Not much going on besides GLC.

Hope Shaz isn't a mini but I get the feeling they're going to do this for a lot of characters and then gauge interest.

Ya'll getting me hyped for the Superman Rebirth trade, sounds like Tomasi/Gleason are on fire.

edit: Oh, NEW Superman. Was interested in that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom