• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendas

Banned
So I finally got around to reading Justice League Rebirth, Superman 2 and Green Lanterns 2 ( I know, I know.. a week late)

Superman 2 was great, I like where they're going and it's nice to see a part of Clark that he's willing be a dick and show some negative emotion over (his son).

Justice League and Green Lanterns has some pretty mediocre writing. Green Lanterns has a ton of odd exposition and internal dialogue... it's weird how Baz randomly says "I'm awesome" all the time.

I also, I fucking hate the art in Justice League. Wonder Woman looks god awful. And the whole "We're the Justice League" shots are so shoehorned and corny. So far it's my least favorite Rebirth series.

jph139

I knew that New Super-Man would be something special. Still not crazy about the costume but I'm loving the characters, the world, the dialogue... great stuff.

And I'm enjoying Action Comics as well. Really basic so far, but a solid Superman story. The different perspectives on Doomsday - from Supes, Lois, Lex, Jon - are the real key.

TheFlow

Banned
I knew that New Super-Man would be something special. Still not crazy about the costume but I'm loving the characters, the world, the dialogue... great stuff.

And I'm enjoying Action Comics as well. Really basic so far, but a solid Superman story. The different perspectives on Doomsday - from Supes, Lois, Lex, Jon - are the real key.

Well the writer for New Superman is an award winning writer with an eisner, l Michael L. Printz Award, and others under his belt. The man got chops

anything i need to read before New Super-Man?

read the Rebirth event or...?

Rebirth is just one issue, you might as well read it, but... no, not required reading. Some of the characters showed up in a pre-Rebirth Super-crossover event, but there's no real allusions to that here (yet).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Rebirth is just one issue, you might as well read it, but... no, not required reading. Some of the characters showed up in a pre-Rebirth Super-crossover event, but there's no real allusions to that here (yet).

which event? was it any good? tbh, i'm interested in any good, modern, completed DC runs.

finally got around to starting Young Justice and it has put me in a SERIOUS dc mood

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
finally got around to starting Young Justice and it has put me in a SERIOUS dc mood
Yeah, it'll do that to you. WB animation has always been a great gateway into the world of DC comics which is why it's a shame we rarely get DC cartoon shows of that caliber any more.

Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL, JLU inspired a generation of comic book readers and it is so weird to see them let this fall by the wayside.

which event? was it any good? tbh, i'm interested in any good, modern, completed DC runs.

Okay, so, first of all, read The Omega Men. Completed and beyond excellent. I'd also heartily recommend Grayson, Midnighter, Snyder's Batman, Tomasi & Gleason's Batman & Robin, and a whole slew of other stuff (tho I'd have to put some notes together).

But as to the Super-crossover, it was... mostly just okay. Some very cool moments, and it does transition directly into the new Superman status quo, but it doesn't really have any bearing on New Superman, and on the whole I'd mostly just call it average. Does do justice to New 52 Superman, though, if that's a character you're fond of.

kmfdmpig

I haven't read Tec or New Super Man yet, but all of the others have been solid to great with Wonder Woman being my favorite so far (and a big step up from the Rebirth issue). Action, Flash, and GLC were all solid enough. Nightwing has me interested in seeing where the series goes.

Rebirth has been impressive so far.

Rebirth Rankings

Detective=New Superman>GL Corps>WW>Flash>Action>>Nightwing

Honestly I liked them all but Nightwing. It just came off so corny and the dialogue was horrible. Only thing I liked from the entire issue is it finally referring to the end of Robin War.

Detective and New Superman was just a cut above the rest for me. Even though the reveal of Kate's dad was obvious The dialogue, the small jokes, and the team dynamic were all just great. New Superman was a complete surprise, I had been looking forward to it, but didn't think it'd be near this interesting right from the start. I'm also glad this is a monthly because I feel like the issue would have ended with the Dr showing up if this was a twice weekly.

Action Comics: Could this possibly be dragged out any more? I like the hints of mystery, but when is it going to become more than hints?

GL Corps: Yes it was mostly rehash and catch up but I really liked the way it presented it. Catching the readers up to everything that needs to be dealt with while starting it in on it's story.

WW I liked, but I feel like I'm missing details from not having the history with the character.

Flash I actually liked the issue. It feels like this issue actually moved on. I was a defender of the art on the last issue but man it really bothered me this time around.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yall were right, New Super-Man was terrific. Shout out to my homeboy Paul Kaminski who is the editor on that title.

Yeah, it'll do that to you. WB animation has always been a great gateway into the world of DC comics which is why it's a shame we rarely get DC cartoon shows of that caliber any more.

Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL, JLU inspired a generation of comic book readers and it is so weird to see them let this fall by the wayside.

Yeah, I've loved BTAS & Beyond as a kid, and have seen most of the DCAU movies. But this... this might be another level of good.

Okay, so, first of all, read The Omega Men. Completed and beyond excellent. I'd also heartily recommend Grayson, Midnighter, Snyder's Batman, Tomasi & Gleason's Batman & Robin, and a whole slew of other stuff (tho I'd have to put some notes together).

But as to the Super-crossover, it was... mostly just okay. Some very cool moments, and it does transition directly into the new Superman status quo, but it doesn't really have any bearing on New Superman, and on the whole I'd mostly just call it average. Does do justice to New 52 Superman, though, if that's a character you're fond of.

Not a fan of Snyder's Batman (except for the Black Mirror which I loved) but I'll check out Grayson & The Omega Men.

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow #1-2

Hory shit this amazing. Like Court of the owls amazing. It is not just the artwork, but the color and use panels that make everything feel alive. Hands down in my top 5 ongoing atm.

Also
Diggle was a cool intro, and I don't think Emi fully betrayed Oliver. She might have left him that tracker on purpose

One of the best Superhero books on the market/5

Nightwing question: Wasn't Tiger revealed to be really a checkmate operative the entire time? He seemed to still be a Spyral guy in this Rebirth issue.

Blader

I have absolutely no idea what Nightwing Rebirth was about (probably doesn't help that Snyder's Batman is the only Bat-related run I've read since Morrison left) but it certainly didn't interest me in wanting to read more. Is Parliament of Owls a recent thing? Talk about an extremely lazy choice of villain. :lol

I have absolutely no idea what Nightwing Rebirth was about (probably doesn't help that Snyder's Batman is the only Bat-related run I've read since Morrison left) but it certainly didn't interest me in wanting to read more. Is Parliament of Owls a recent thing? Talk about an extremely lazy choice of villain. :lol

It was a Robin Wars thing (so reasonably new, like 6 months ago?).

And it's an expaned idea of something from Snyder's Batman that I'm unsure if you've read.

Nightwing Rebirth implies
that its not an expansion, so much as it was Lincoln's attempt to set up a new and better Court of Owls and surpass them (while they controlled Gotham). And that it didn't work well.

This does seem to clash with what was established in Robin War though, since it was the Court who put the bomb in Damien for the Parliament to use , which doesn't make sense if the Parliament is effectively a rogue offshoot.

that its not an expansion, so much as it was Lincoln's attempt to set up a new and better Court of Owls and surpass them (while they controlled Gotham). And that it didn't work well.

This does seem to clash with what was established in Robin War though, since it was the Court who put the bomb in Damien for the Parliament to use , which doesn't make sense if the Parliament is effectively a rogue offshoot.
That's why I said its an expanded idea and not an expansion. :)

I don't think it was so much of an offshoot but him wanting to take it into a new direction. It was still court of owls but he was trying to rebrand it. I read only Snyder's run and I'm still unsure where Linc becomes the head of the court.

I don't think it was so much of an offshoot but him wanting to take it into a new direction. It was still court of owls but he was trying to rebrand it. I read only Snyder's run and I'm still unsure where Linc becomes the head of the court.

He gives a whole speech about how the Parliament will surpass the Court , which he's shot in the middle of this issue. They do the whole Black Mask thing as a distinction point.

Batman Eternal, I believe.

Effect

Think I"m going to be dropping both Batman and Detective Comics. I'm enjoying both but I see myself falling into a hole money wise, especially with a crossover already coming up. I'm finding the Superman stuff more interesting and between the two family of books I can only really potentially commit to one (even then it's iffy if all of them can be bought assuming they're good) and it's going to be the Superman stuff.

I also don't want to drop Green Arrow (this has been really good so far and wasn't expecting that), Green Lanterns (haven't read the Hall Jordan book yet), Flash, or Wonder Woman just yet. All Star Batman might get checked out if that's going to be it's own thing and in continuity. So that means taking a pass on Nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl, etc as well as those are all part of the Bat family of books or closely connected with them before they even come out at this point just so I don't get interested or hooked. Those might turn into trade pick ups or sale purchases in the future. I haven't even though about the team books yet.

Even then I'm still not sure if I'm just going to say screw it all after these first arcs end and just wait for the trades when it comes to everything. Digital is really good but I do like reading the physical thing when it comes to comics more. That was made more clear to me this week while I was re-reading Green Lantern: Rebirth.

Think I"m going to be dropping both Batman and Detective Comics. I'm enjoying both but I see myself falling into a hole money wise, especially with a crossover already coming up. I'm finding the Superman stuff more interesting and between the two family of books I can only really potentially commit to one (even then it's iffy if all of them can be bought assuming they're good) and it's going to be the Superman stuff.

I also don't want to drop Green Arrow (this has been really good so far and wasn't expecting that), Green Lanterns (haven't read the Hall Jordan book yet), Flash, or Wonder Woman just yet. All Star Batman might get checked out if that's going to be it's own thing and in continuity. So that means taking a pass on Nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl, etc as well as those are all part of the Bat family of books or closely connected with them before they even come out at this point just so I don't get interested or hooked. Those might turn into trade pick ups or sale purchases in the future. I haven't even though about the team books yet.

Even then I'm still not sure if I'm just going to say screw it all after these first arcs end and just wait for the trades when it comes to everything. Digital is really good but I do like reading the physical thing when it comes to comics more. That was made more clear to me this week while I was re-reading Green Lantern: Rebirth.

Yeah, that's sort of how it is with the Batbooks, you're basically committing to buy all of them if you buy any of them. It's why I don't really branch out beyond team books with Bat characters on them. Keeps my spending manageable.

Im in the other camp where Im thinking of cutting out all the non-bat books. Aside from Green Arrow, though with Canary in that, one could sorta kinda justifiably call it a bat book too, kinda sorta.

Right now im trying to just do the first arc of most books, but as those wrap up im almost certainly cutting Aquaman, Green Lanterns, Action Comics, and Flash. Also Superman and Wonder Woman are in my maaaybe drop list.

Im gonna give the Hellblazer rebirth issue a try, mainly for old Swamp's sake, but the likelihood of commiting to the series is low.

He gives a whole speech about how the Parliament will surpass the Court , which he's shot in the middle of this issue. They do the whole Black Mask thing as a distinction point.

Batman Eternal, I believe.

So was he running both concurrently? Or did I just confuse the two in Robin War? When Dick goes and visits him it made it seem like he was head of the Court. Or he was at least head of whatever of the owls remained. Guess I missed some of the Owl stuff by not reading Eternal. Didn't feel like going back and reading after B&R Eternal left such a bad taste in my mouth.

TheFlow

Banned
Dropping flash for sure. And green lanterns are on probation. I am an aqua man fan so I will keep pulling it regardless of quality lol

I'm bad about dropping stuff, it usually takes me just not caring at all anymore to drop. I was close with Flash, but I kind of liked this current issue. Action Comics is getting close to that point but I'll give it a little time just because the mystery intrigues me.

It will get easier to drop stuff for me when more of their Rebirth and Animal books start dropping.

I'm def dropping Detective Comics when that dumb-looking Monster men arc starts. I only have so much money to spend. I'll drop Superman too if they start that crossover crap again. And Green Lanterns.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Read Flash Rebirth and stopped there. Not much of a Flash fan. Gave Aquaman a chance but the 2nd issue kind of put me off. Action Comics and Green Lanterns are on probation.

Ross61

I don't know why everyone hates Night of the Monster Men crossover. Especially when it ties into the story that already connecting Batman and Detective Comics.

I don't know why everyone hates Night of the Monster Men crossover. Especially when it ties into the story that already connecting Batman and Detective Comics.

Street-level non-lethal dudes fighting giant monsters sounds boring as heck to me. I don't wanna look at Nightwing slapping Godzilla with escrima sticks.

Eh, the creative teams behind it make me excited. Plus I like the concept.

We also don't know how much ties in with Strange or what it really involves. As far as the title and the actual monster men I don't know if we know much beyond it being in homage to an old school story.

Ross61

We also don't know how much ties in with Strange or what it really involves. As far as the title and the actual monster men I don't know if we know much beyond it being in homage to an old school story.
I looked over the solicits and
Strange looks to be behind everything.

So was he running both concurrently? Or did I just confuse the two in Robin War? When Dick goes and visits him it made it seem like he was head of the Court. Or he was at least head of whatever of the owls remained. Guess I missed some of the Owl stuff by not reading Eternal. Didn't feel like going back and reading after B&R Eternal left such a bad taste in my mouth.

No idea. As I said, this expansion doesn't make much sense in the context of Robin War. It seemed like the Parliament was essentially the global version of the Court (a sort of meta-Court) in Robin War. I'm as confused as you are.

MartyStu

So, did Doctor Manhattan eventually made an appearance in this relaunch?

Long game.

Detective Comics #3

Holy shit. Tynion is ON FIRE!

Three books in, and this is quite possibly one of the most impressive Batman stories I have seen in quite some time. And we have barely delved into these characters.

That betrayal though. Brutal. Expected, but still brutal.

All this said, I feel that this story would be a great fit for Jason. Big missed opportunity.

Long game.

Detective Comics #3

Holy shit. Tynion is ON FIRE!

Three books in, and this is quite possibly one of the most impressive Batman stories I have seen in quite some time. And we have barely delved into these characters.

That betrayal though. Brutal. Expected, but still brutal.

All this said, I feel that this story would be a great fit for Jason. Big missed opportunity.

Jason gets so overlooked. Not even in the family portrait at Wayne Manor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom