• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I want screenshot function... for a $60 game with a high monthly fee they should be able to accommodate a feature even FPS games have been doing for years.

So I am doing challenges at level 30 for gear? I have done like 7 or 8 but only a few of them the bosses have dropped any loot. I got 1 purple and a few blues but sometimes i get nothing. Even the treasure chests are empty. Is this normal at level 30?

hank_tree

Sqorgar said:
I don't know of many off the top of my head, but the first time I noticed it personally was his NGP Last Blade review. I've noticed it on several other reviews as well. Basically, if it isn't a game that interests him, he will do the minimum.

So the basis for your statement is one review from eleven years ago?

I love the internet. If you've noticed it on "several other reviews" why not post some links?

Effect

get2sammyb said:
To be fair, I have him on my PSN friends list and he played the HELL out of DC Universe Online for a good week. Whether that's long enough to review an MMO is up for debate, but he definitely put in way more than 90 minutes.

I also happen to disagree with his review (and the fact that people are "reviewing" this game in the first place), but whatever. I'mma keep on enjoying it. Sucks for those people who will miss out because of this review.

A good week of play is more then enough time. Actually I would say 3 to 5 hours is more then enough time understand a MMO. What you might not have a good idea of is how the later areas are design in terms of environment or what a raid boss would be like but nearly everything else can and will experienced in the first few hours.

theta11 said:
challenges give some gear but you should be getting gear from duos and the normal hard alerts

ah alright, i have completed all the duos once, i will do them some more. I feel like it is better then alerts as some people in alerts dont know how to do there role (controller's only dps)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PS3 PATCH IS UP!

130-ish MB then a 72MB in-game patch. Servers don't seem to be back up yet though so I can't test the fixes (mainly the voice chat) yet.

theta11

arts&crafts said:
ah alright, i have completed all the duos once, i will do them some more. I feel like it is better then alerts as some people in alerts dont know how to do there role (controller's only dps)

you can only get loot and marks form the duos once a day, that's one of my issues with alerts in general, i don't mind not being able to get marks more than once a day but disabling loot kills the replayability. so as the day progresses more and more people complete thier daily so theres no reason to help unless you are doing it for a friend and with the poor communication in the game meeting new people is a drag.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
LiquidMetal14 said:
PS3 PATCH IS UP!

130-ish MB then a 72MB in-game patch. Servers don't seem to be back up yet though so I can't test the fixes (mainly the voice chat) yet.
Weird that they changed the update procedure. It prompts you to update during the client check now instead of alerting you when launching the game, like every other game does. Hopefully this means patches will go out faster now that the game contacts SOE's servers instead of the PSN servers.

LiquidMetal14

Killthee said:
Weird that they changed the update procedure. It prompts you to update during the client check now instead of alerting you when launching the game, like every other game does. Hopefully this means patches will go out faster now that the game contacts SOE's servers instead of the PSN servers.
I noticed that and was thinking the same thing. Like this is one of a very few select games that call out for their own updates instead of going right at the begining per PSN.

Sqorgar

Banned
Effect said:
A good week of play is more then enough time. Actually I would say 3 to 5 hours is more then enough time understand a MMO. What you might not have a good idea of is how the later areas are design in terms of environment or what a raid boss would be like but nearly everything else can and will experienced in the first few hours.
3 to 5 hours is enough time to form an impression. It is NOT enough time to form a review.

Edit: Let me elaborate. My review of the game leading up to 30 is a lot more positive than my review at the level cap. I went from wanting a lifetime sub to definitely not.

Still getting the audio dropping out issue, annoying.

Also need a new league for All seasons european server, the one im in at the moment has quite a few members but they all just play together and im a last resort, so at the moment im wondering around bored, been queing for a duo for 30 minutes now and nothing.

Foxix Von

Well my mic still doesn't work but they made some changes to the menu. Different icons and whatnot, you can submit bugs now too. I don't recall that option being there but I might have just skipped over it heh.

Foxix said:
Well my mic still doesn't work but they made some changes to the menu. Different icons and whatnot, you can submit bugs now too. I don't recall that option being there but I might have just skipped over it heh.

Yeah the bug buttons always been there.

Someone on the official forum found an Artifact rare from the vault:

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/Justin9981/IMG_20110118_220036.jpg

Makes his character all ghostly when he uses it

twisteddeeds said:
Personally I've been reading anything and everything about this game, I have been sceptical but when pay day comes along I'm getting this...

I think the free month is worth the price you pay for this game alone.

Raoh

I should be able to use my PS2 usb headset i use for socom right?

getting frustrated having to remember to turn on my mic before launching the game and since i'm not using it all the time it just sits there draining the battery.

LiquidMetal14

Alright! This patch cleared up the mic issues on PS3. There have been small changes to the HUD. Performance seems slightly better. I'm a happy camper.

Sqorgar said:
I don't know of many off the top of my head, but the first time I noticed it personally was his NGP Last Blade review. I've noticed it on several other reviews as well. Basically, if it isn't a game that interests him, he will do the minimum.
You really need to stop talking shit if you can't back up what you say.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah... Word of Power is not getting the job done as a healing power.

Respec #5 coming up

Sqorgar

Banned
Sharkington said:
You really need to stop talking shit if you can't back up what you say.
I can back up what I say. I'm just typing from a iPad, so my ability to cross reference a dozen threads and game reviews is slightly hindered at the moment. Off the top of my head, I know he lied in the DeathSpank review. He said he got 100% in five and a half hours. I don't think even the developers could do it in that time. I couldn't. Maybe he is just bad with judging time, but there have been other occasions where he has obviously not played the games extensively and said he's played more than he obviously had. Unfortunately, I let my fan club membership expire and I'd have to look it up.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ive got a dual core 2.7 gigs, 2 gigs ram, 9800 gt, should I grab this on PC or PS3?

Should I be able to run the game well on the PC? I'd rather play it on that.

AeroGod

So I have a noob question.

I want to get this on PS3 but im worried about the space i have on my HD since i have the cheap-ass 40gb model. I do however have a few external HDs. If i plug one into the USB on my ps3 can i save the data from the install and all the patches onto one of those for loading or is there a inexpensive way to upgrade the internal ps3 HD to something larger without haveing to buy a whole new system

AeroGod said:
is there a inexpensive way to upgrade the internal ps3 HD to something larger without haveing to buy a whole new system

Yeah, you can replace the stock HDD with practically any 2.5'' SATA laptop HDD, and it should be quite inexpensive to buy a sizeable one. Google for guides on how to change the PS3 HDD if you're unsure, it's easy on the fat PS3's, but a bit different for slims iirc.

Raoh

AeroGod said:
So I have a noob question.

I want to get this on PS3 but im worried about the space i have on my HD since i have the cheap-ass 40gb model. I do however have a few external HDs. If i plug one into the USB on my ps3 can i save the data from the install and all the patches onto one of those for loading or is there a inexpensive way to upgrade the internal ps3 HD to something larger without haveing to buy a whole new system

It's time to upgrade your hard drive. You can get a good 500gb drive for at least $60 or so

If not for DCUO, your going to need to upgrade eventually..

I usually order from newegg.com but i also get bank rewards so i will buy from bestbuy if i get a gift card as well.

I had a 120gb and it was down to 10gb of available space.. got a few 320gb drives from work and cant see any storage concerns in my near future.

Here are a list of drives for your ps3 from newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Tobor

LiquidMetal14 said:
Alright! This patch cleared up the mic issues on PS3. There have been small changes to the HUD. Performance seems slightly better. I'm a happy camper.
Don't break out the champagne yet. Voice chat worked great for a friend and I for a couple of hours, then he switched characters and we couldn't get it to work again.

What the hell, SOE?

ferr

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah the bug buttons always been there.

Someone on the official forum found an Artifact rare from the vault:

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/Justin9981/IMG_20110118_220036.jpg

Makes his character all ghostly when he uses it
I just received something similar, Clown Nose trinket. It turns me into a scary looking clown that looks like he's gotten into Bane's medicine cabinet. Although it only changes appearance, has no affect on powers/etc.

LiquidMetal14

Tobor said:
Don't break out the champagne yet. Voice chat worked great for a friend and I for a couple of hours, then he switched characters and we couldn't get it to work again.

What the hell, SOE?
uh oh

The ps3 patch made the game run so much better, metropolis I notice the most improvement the texture pop in has been reduced a lot. Vehicles and enemies load up before you get there instead of having to wait 10 sec. and get attacked by invisible enemys. And screen tearing has been reduced when your in turbo more (flying, running).

Hawk269

This is going to sound so fucking noob and I been playing a bit of the game on both PS3 and PC..but what the hell is DPS? I hear people going into raids in DPS mode and stuff. Thanks and yeah it is very noob'sh question. lol

ferr

Hawk269 said:
This is going to sound so fucking noob and I been playing a bit of the game on both PS3 and PC..but what the hell is DPS? I hear people going into raids in DPS mode and stuff. Thanks and yeah it is very noob'sh question. lol
Damage Per Second. A DPS player specializes in dealing damage and nothing else.

Killthee

ferr said:
Damage Per Second. A DPS player specializes in dealing damage and nothing else.
Yup. It's the default role for every character (the flame icon).
Outtrigger888 said:
The ps3 patch made the game run so much better, metropolis I notice the most improvement the texture pop in has been reduced a lot. Vehicles and enemies load up before you get there instead of having to wait 10 sec. and get attacked by invisible enemys. And screen tearing has been reduced when your in turbo more (flying, running).
The biggest difference for me is the load time for the XMB keyboard to pop up when chatting. It's much better now and less janky.

Hawk269

Killthee said:
Yup. It's the default role for every character (the flame icon).

My character, although level 7 has the flame icon, I am going to focus on healing, so at what point does it change? What other icons are there?

Killthee

Hawk269 said:
My character, although level 7 has the flame icon, I am going to focus on healing, so at what point does it change? What other icons are there?
Support roles unlock for everyone at lv 10.

Foxix Von

Hawk269 said:

DPS is just what recklessmind and ferr said. Damage Per Second. DPS mode is the default mode of all classes, however at level ten you unlock a mode unique to your class. Mentals/Tech unlock control (basically charging the teams power bar and buff/debuff if I understand correctly) Sorcery/Nature unlock healing (uhhh healing players) and Fire/Ice unlock a tank class which is basically a paladin. Soak up damage, control aggro and and focus on keeping yourself alive.

You can switch your class at any time outside of combat by pressing up on the d-pad or T on the keyboard.

Top Bottom