• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

G-Fex

Axiom said:
A DCUO story from today I decided to tell in a picture

atrocityskirt.png

Jesus, you don't know how many times I get hit on in WoW.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Killthee said:
Yup. I don't even bother with it anymore for alerts, I just shout till I find 3 other people (or 1 if I want to do a duo) to join me. You skip the Alert queue completely when you do it this way and most people I've met have been pretty awesome.
I just spent nearly an 40 minutes doing the Hive Moon Base Alert. My first time playing it since getting skullfucked right out the gates the other day. I had the dumbest fucking people in my group. Being a controller is so frustrating at times...

Jube3

Hit Level 28 before the servers went down, I will definitely hit 30 tomorrow. This has been one of the most pleasent level 0 to cap that I've had in an MMO. So much fun and the PVP has been so awesome. Me and my buddy won out in a 4v2 today near the lanterns area, so satisfying :D

My toon, Tharaxian on Cry for Blood (hero)
5373420176_9a6f8d1bd0_b.jpg

elwes

I finally got around to making a character on Death and Glory.

Thankfully, the servers went down while I was making it and nothing was saved. You're a real pal, SOE. :|

They go down every day at 4am PST, unless there was an earlier unscheduled maintenance.

So making a character just before then probably isn't a good idea. :p

elwes

Yeah, I'm no stranger to the daily downtimes...I just figured that if I was already making a character, they'd at least save it. D:

I really love those rare moments of PvP chivalry. A couple of times I've been questing with a new character, only to find a lvl 30 villain hanging around just metres away but not attacking me.

elwes

I have yet to play on a PVP server in this game. The only MMO I've done PVP on (aside from Aion) was WoW, and the fondest memory I have of that is high levels repeatedly griefing my low level. Makes it hard to enjoy the game when some level 70 dude is one shotting me over and over.

elwes said:
I have yet to play on a PVP server in this game. The only MMO I've done PVP on (aside from Aion) was WoW, and the fondest memory I have of that is high levels repeatedly griefing my low level. Makes it hard to enjoy the game when some level 70 dude is one shotting me over and over.

1 - You level fast in this game
2 - Lowbies in a group can kick the crap into a level 30 ganker.
3 - If your within around 5 levels, you can win if you know how to fight.

Tobor

They need to stop working on anything else until voice chat is fixed. Fire somebody, hire somebody, burn a witch, I don't care. Just fix it!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Jube3 said:
Hit Level 28 before the servers went down, I will definitely hit 30 tomorrow. This has been one of the most pleasent level 0 to cap that I've had in an MMO. So much fun and the PVP has been so awesome. Me and my buddy won out in a 4v2 today near the lanterns area, so satisfying :D

My toon, Tharaxian on Cry for Blood (hero)
5373420176_9a6f8d1bd0_b.jpg

Serpentor is that you?

hermit7

lastplayed said:
I really love those rare moments of PvP chivalry. A couple of times I've been questing with a new character, only to find a lvl 30 villain hanging around just metres away but not attacking me.
Honestly unless the person is within + -2 levels I never attack them. I think eventually the people that stick around will come up with these unspoken rules.

Looking forward to hitting 30 with my healer today. I made a controller as well, but I am going to hold off levelling for a while and really dig deep into understanding my healer.

DY_nasty said:
I just spent nearly an 40 minutes doing the Hive Moon Base Alert. My first time playing it since getting skullfucked right out the gates the other day. I had the dumbest fucking people in my group. Being a controller is so frustrating at times...

Its wierd some people I can throw out some stuns and recharge them slowly and then some groups run through power faster than I can get it to them and they're all hey recharge us you're being useless..how the f are you out I just dumped my whole bar on you!!! lol

Its funny too getting dc'd or freeze'd in pvp and coming back on and forgetting I'm in pvp mode. Last night i was wandering after logging back on and someone tried to kill me but I somehow won. I suck at pvps but that was hilarious.

Hmm ok so I thought PVP got you renown, and after taking out several heroes myself in world pvp, my renown has not gone up at all. So now I'm confused, what gives you renown, and basically is real world pvp do nothing outside of doing the bounty sign missions?

Varna

CaLe said:
Hey guys, is there a League on "Death and Glory" ?

If so, please invite me.

Toon name: Kregan

Thanks !

There is. MisterAnderson and I are the only members so far. I think only the guild leader can invite and he hasn't been on this weekend.

Welp, just had a quick fun run through doing part of the Circe/ Giganta mission and played around with a new whirlwind speed power.

And then I spent 15 minutes trying to get to my bank in the Watchtower. Walls where there should be doorways, 100% broken design for something that should be very simple to access and use. After running in circles for a while I turned the game off. Fuck it :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mercury Fred said:
Welp, just had a quick fun run through doing part of the Circe/ Giganta mission and played around with a new whirlwind speed power.

And then I spent 15 minutes trying to get to my bank in the Watchtower. Walls where there should be doorways, 100% broken design for something that should be very simple to access and use. After running in circles for a while I turned the game off. Fuck it :(
I seriously get headaches from being in the Watchtower. I try to avoid that place as much as possible.

DrDogg

I've heard the game gets worse the higher you level. Can anyone explain why that is or if it's looking to get fixed? Still on the fence about this one...

Varna

I don't know too much about DC lore. I wish this game had an information page. I spend way to much time looking up characters on Wikipedia.

Ok, I'm level 25 and the PVE missions are drying up - I've got a couple left in Gotham and absolutely zero missions left to do in Metropolis, other than bounties. I've looked around the watchtower and police stations for NPC's with missions, but to no avail - are there any more, or is that it? Just PVP and instanced PVE for the rest of the game?

hermit7

Bootaaay said:
Ok, I'm level 25 and the PVE missions are drying up - I've got a couple left in Gotham and absolutely zero missions left to do in Metropolis, other than bounties. I've looked around the watchtower and police stations for NPC's with missions, but to no avail - are there any more, or is that it? Just PVP and instanced PVE for the rest of the game?
There are quests thatvare only available at level 30. There are also hard versions of quests and instances.

jersoc

elwes said:

it's always like this on new MMO launchers. I bet within a few months as people get 30 all around they'll stop attacking lowbies.

Question about tier pieces, since I chose joker as my mentor, does that mean I have to buy a batman inspired set (mr freeze or harley) since the other onces say requires origins?

hermit7

arts&crafts said:
Question about tier pieces, since I chose joker as my mentor, does that mean I have to buy a batman inspired set (mr freeze or harley) since the other onces say requires origins?

No you just have to buy Iconic pieces that are from the tech origin. One is the Joker one, the other is Freeze, and I am not sure of who is the third. They are all in the Tech wing though.

BattleMonkey said:
Hmm ok so I thought PVP got you renown, and after taking out several heroes myself in world pvp, my renown has not gone up at all. So now I'm confused, what gives you renown, and basically is real world pvp do nothing outside of doing the bounty sign missions?

In world PvP does not reward renown, you must do arena PvP to get it, when someone is defeated they drop Skulls and thats your renown, you also get some at the end of the round, win or lose.

How come Challenge mode Power Girl doesn't drop any items? I bug reported it as it must be a mistake, i've beat her twice and nothing.

Raiden

Banned
I am really trying to like this game, but failing so far, i did not buy this expecting a WOW kinda game with heroes and villains in a crackdown type of world, but in every single thing i do i wish it was more like WOW :(

Also did my first instance, and what a clusterfuck it was, no idea who was the healer or tank, people were just killing stuff all over the place.

Gonna keep trying though, i hope i get into it.

Also the menu's on PS3 suck ass, it is so goddamn slow to use, christ.

TheExodu5 said:
So world pvp awards nothing then?

Yeah, I'm rerolling on PvE.

Nah, if you defeat 5 players within 5 levels of your level you get some soda.... :p

The next quiz for europe comes up on the 26th by the way, think its the penguins umbrella next.

JWong

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
So world pvp awards nothing then?

Yeah, I'm rerolling on PvE.
The dynamics of PVP in this game work better than it theoretically could in WoW.

On WoW PVP servers, you could get constantly ganked in Feralas cave by a high level and no one would care because they're too far away. Everything is very close in DCUO that Villains are out ganking people and Heroes are out protecting lowbies
or Vice Versa

I get ganked all the time and I'm happy with it because some level 30 ally will come by and help.

Nishastra

Banned
hermit7 said:
No you just have to buy Iconic pieces that are from the tech origin. One is the Joker one, the other is Freeze, and I am not sure of who is the third.
Deathstroke.

I wish there was some less-bulky high-end armor. They all look like power suits. I don't know if I'll ever actually wear one.

ferr

Is there a list of blue/purple items from level 30 duo/alerts/etc somewhere? It'd be nice to know what's out there.

Pimpbaa

Raiden said:
I am really trying to like this game, but failing so far, i did not buy this expecting a WOW kinda game with heroes and villains in a crackdown type of world, but in every single thing i do i wish it was more like WOW :(

Also did my first instance, and what a clusterfuck it was, no idea who was the healer or tank, people were just killing stuff all over the place.

Gonna keep trying though, i hope i get into it.

Also the menu's on PS3 suck ass, it is so goddamn slow to use, christ.

I feel almost the same. The controls feel wierd to me whether I use the keyboard + mouse or a controller, the powers are underwhelming, and the cities feel so dead. As dated as it is, City of Heroes (plus it's expansions) is a better game.

Leunam

Is there any way to buy a different skin type? I chose rock skin for whatever reason and I'd like to switch to regular skin.

hermit7

Leunam said:
Is there any way to buy a different skin type? I chose rock skin for whatever reason and I'd like to switch to regular skin.

There is, but I am unsure where you go to change unfortunately.

I got a sweet Epic drop off of Brother Eye. It looks good, but not with my character so I don't show it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
hermit7 said:
There is, but I am unsure where you go to change unfortunately.
I've heard of two skin vendors in the over world, one near Ace Chemicals (Villain) and one near STAR Labs (Hero).

Nishastra

Banned
I was wondering about skin. I like my glowing skin, but it'd be nice to be able to look less weird sometimes. I'll have to seek out these "skin vendors" :p

Pimpbaa said:
I feel almost the same. The controls feel wierd to me whether I use the keyboard + mouse or a controller, the powers are underwhelming, and the cities feel so dead. As dated as it is, City of Heroes (plus it's expansions) is a better game.

I can see issues with the game, but City of Heroes? Can't agree at all. The city especially in that game is so devoid of any life or feeling, so extremely sterile, DC Universe at least has more going on all around it for the most part. CoH also has the problem all Cryptic games has, and that is absolutely awful content (or lack of).

hermit7

Killthee said:
I've heard of two skin vendors in the over world, one near Ace Chemicals (Villain) and one near STAR Labs (Hero).

Ooh that is indeed good too know. My plant thing looks ok most of the time, but I am getting a little sick of it.

May go barbarian and throw it with green makeup. Also hit level 30 on my healer, so I am going to run one final quest and then start some Duos.

Pimpbaa

BattleMonkey said:
I can see issues with the game, but City of Heroes? Can't agree at all. The city especially in that game is so devoid of any life or feeling, so extremely sterile, DC Universe at least has more going on all around it for the most part. CoH also has the problem all Cryptic games has, and that is absolutely awful content (or lack of).

CoH has cars and people walking the street. Metropolis is a freakin ghost town except in the areas where the mobs are. And after 2 expansions, it definitely has more content. Even vanilla CoH i was switching to new areas far more often.

Pimpbaa said:
CoH has cars and people walking the street. Metropolis is a freakin ghost town except in the areas where the mobs are. And after 2 expansions, it definitely has more content. Even vanilla CoH i was switching to new areas far more often.

Metropolis has areas that are barren yes, Gotham isn't as bad though, but I don't know what is up with Metropolis which is filled with lot of empty areas.

As for CoH content, it's still pathetic and just more grind that Cryptic puts in with very little polish. New areas, but they play exactly the same and it's just rinse repeat with a new background and lack of any feeling. Champions has a much more polished feel to its content yet again Cryptic failed on many other aspects of that game. Both games suffer from very sterile feeling games, though they trump all games in the aspect of character creation and customization.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
hermit7 said:
Ooh that is indeed good too know. My plant thing looks ok most of the time, but I am getting a little sick of it.

May go barbarian and throw it with green makeup. Also hit level 30 on my healer, so I am going to run one final quest and then start some Duos.
You can do a lot with the skin in character creation - not so much later on.

I used a plant skin base and played around with it so that my character has a sort of pale skin and purple-ish root thing going on.

Emissive eyes need a bit more work though. Its hard to get the kind of glow that you want without using masks.

BattleMonkey said:
Metropolis has areas that are barren yes, Gotham isn't as bad though, but I don't know what is up with Metropolis which is filled with lot of empty areas.

It feels like metropolis was a little rushed compared to gothem, im sure the extra space will be filled with monthly content. I hated metropolis at first but after exploring theres a lot of cool areas that seemed like it was made for a mission to be there, im sure we will find out soon.

hermit7

DY_nasty said:
You can do a lot with the skin in character creation - not so much later on.

I used a plant skin base and played around with it so that my character has a sort of pale skin and purple-ish root thing going on.

Emissive eyes need a bit more work though. Its hard to get the kind of glow that you want without using masks.

You can change it anytime, the shade and then in makeup the secondary color.

Right now I have gray skin, and white plants. Looks ok, but not anything spectacular.

icechai

Varna said:
There is. MisterAnderson and I are the only members so far. I think only the guild leader can invite and he hasn't been on this weekend.

officers can invite as well. btw please invite icechai :p

CaLe

Varna said:

Dang.. Only two members... Come on people, everyone on Death & Glory join that League :)

Do I have to be online to receive an invite ? Or can you send it by mail ?

Edit: Have the Devs made any mention of upcoming updates on the official forums ?

Nishastra

Banned
Man, skin is expensive. Now I can also be a reptile! So picked because it looks good in the colors I was already using :p

If anyone wants to know where exactly the villain skin vendor is, here's a shot of the map. I'm the arrow with the blue, and the green-circled dot is Ace Chemicals. She's just west of the plant. Be careful if you're low level, because the enemies around there are level 30.

Top Bottom