• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DD Fraud: Sony is Embezzling 2 Games from Me (Everybody's Tennis/Motorstor:AE)

Wazzim

Banned
I always back-up everything I got from DD. Yes it takes some space but I'll still have everything I have paid for even if every DD service would suddenly crash.

If the title isnt going to return to the store Sony should probably give people a free psp game if they took one away.

Still......This is the Digital Distributed future Dawg. Sony/MS/Steam and whoever all have the power to remove games from your library without warning. If your not cool with that then buy retail.

At least Sony seemed to have good reasons for removing the games but like normal they screwed up the PR.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It would force them to approach this differently. Now it's affecting a few users but once more games get taken down, people will really start to ask questions. They'll have to answer questions, they'll have to deal with the negative side effects of taking away products people have paid for.

Especially since the fact that Sony can actually delete the files and make them unavailable at any time is hidden behind a wall of text. What they want you to think is pointed out in a short sentence on their website.

KGXPT.png

Source: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/suppo...6637/item73619/Introducing-PlayStation-Store/

I wonder if they meant it can be gameshared 5 times? Well, before they changed it to 2.

lol okay maybe my response was pretty cold, but i was definitely reacting more to the use of EMBEZZLEMENT in the thread title than anything else. this is not like you purchased the game from retail (ostensibly owning the physical product) and then sony came to your house and stole the game back. they extended an offer to PSP buyers with digitally distributed goods which i think everyone on this forum would understand is NOT a form of ownership. due to illegal practices arising from digital "ownership" of said games, sony has removed them.

i'm just tired of this DD debate of whats owned and what isn't. i own several games in digital form only, and every time i sink my money into one, i am fully aware that i do not technically "own" anything other than a magic pass to download and play the game.

it fucking sucks i agree but then again i've never paid full retail price for a single DD game i own (aside from buying XBLA titles on day one, but to me they are priced fairly for what they deliver) so i guess you take the good with the bad.

Oh Jesus...

We all know homebrew on these devices rarely give anything beneficial outside of emulators. Typically some time later another group will take this work and adapt it to run legal ripped copies of their games, and that is eventually used to pirate software.

This is a logical sequence of events.

The fact that this guy mockingly made it public was the *cause*. It harbors some of the blame. The *effect* is that Sont dicks around and does bullshit like this.

Both parties are wrong in how they do what they do. The homebrew kid didn't have to publicly challenge Sony, just because he wanted to prove he could beat the security (for publicity no less).

Sony, on the other hand, SHOULD remove the software, while simultaneously crediting every purchaser the full price of the title.

Again, both parties took the wrong action, and in the end the core user is effected more than anyone else.

What irks me with that line of reasoning is that you essentially hold to the same standard a multinational publicly traded group and an arrogant kid looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

There's no equivalence here. One has paid customers, the other doesn't. One has people actually paid to design a customer relationship strategy for said paying customers. So yes, when Sony unilaterally pulls games out like this without saying a word about it, they choose to do so, every step of the way. And it can't compare to one obnoxious kid making fun of them on the Internet.

The irony is that people will be able to claim their games back whenever the system is hacked.

That was the arguement earlier as far as i understood it. That if a PC DD service go down, then piracy makes it possible to get a hold of the content. Or did i misunderstand something?

I'm not sure an entire DD service going down is directly comparable to paid for services (as I guess we call games now?) being removed without refund or notification to those affected because the service provider is worried that they might somehow lead to something else being run.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not sure an entire DD service going down is directly comparable to paid for services (as I guess we call games now?) being removed without refund or notification to those affected because the service provider is worried that they might somehow lead to something else being run.
True, but the comparison is that once DD goes away for whatever reason on whatever system it might be, then it's gone (at least originally from the place you bought it). It isnt exactly common that console DD stuff gets removed for no reason and then never re-appear either.

Hex

Banned
Just call customer service, you'll probably get a credit to your account.

Get that gods damned common sense right the hell out of here!
This is NeoGaf!
"Hey, I am in a bar Gaf, there is this hot girl who seems to be into me what do I do"
"Hey, I just slammed by twig and beans in a drawer and it is bleeding pretty bad Gaf, should I call a doctor?"
"Hey Gaf this item that I bought that is completely under warranty that has a very clear and easy to find contact number located in many places has stopped working, fuck the world and fuck this company Gaf what do I do??"

It isnt exactly common that console DD stuff gets removed for no reason and then never re-appear either.

Given the maturity of the PSP 'scene' (and that's maturity of it's existence, I make no statement as to the emotional age of the people involved) and the cat and mouse game of exploits they've been running, combined with the number of PSP titles available on the PSN, I suspect it's going to get more common rather than less.

kadotsu

Banned
lol okay maybe my response was pretty cold, but i was definitely reacting more to the use of EMBEZZLEMENT in the thread title than anything else. this is not like you purchased the game from retail (ostensibly owning the physical product) and then sony came to your house and stole the game back. they extended an offer to PSP buyers with digitally distributed goods which i think everyone on this forum would understand is NOT a form of ownership. due to illegal practices arising from digital "ownership" of said games, sony has removed them.

So it's the corporate side of this argument:

piracyisnottheft.jpg

Just replace "theft" with "embezzlement", "Piracy" with "EULA" and "makes a copy" with "removes a licence"

yep, there was no billing error *does jedi hand wave*

... a charge back isn't the same as a billing issue.

a billing issue is your credit card won't work.
a billing issue is you were charged but you never received the game.
a billing issue is you were charged for two copies instead of one.

a charge back is when the customer accuses the seller of theft basically.
When this happens the seller receives fines from the major credit card institutions and possible is no longer allowed to do business with said institution.

yep, there was no billing error *does jedi hand wave*

If it was the banks mistake to do a chargeback then Valve isn't to blame. And in the rare case that happens Valve WILL unban your account, provided they get the necessary documentation. Can you blame them? They sold something and then the money was taken from them. It's basically theft from where they're standing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Given the maturity of the PSP 'scene' (and that's maturity of it's existence, I make no statement as to the emotional age of the people involved) and the cat and mouse game of exploits they've been running, combined with the number of PSP titles available on the PSN, I suspect it's going to get more common rather than less.
It can happen several of times indeed, but there are no words that these games will be removed forever. I.e, Mercury Meltdown was also used for exploit, then it was removed from the PS Store. Now it is up for download/sale again (it happened quite some time ago, but the game did come back for sale). Only time will tell what happens with Motorstorm Arctic Edge and Everybody's Tennis.

Eusis

I do worry though that even if games can be restored, if this is causing a slowdown in adding more PSP games to Vita BC. Seriously, it shouldn't be taking this long for new releases at the least.

2San

Honestly the day I lose my steam library is the day I quit gaming(or just stick to MP games only). DD is the future whether we like it not. I hope laws will change to reflect this.

... a charge back isn't the same as a billing issue.

a billing issue is your credit card won't work.
a billing issue is you were charged but you never received the game.
a billing issue is you were charged for two copies instead of one.

a charge back is when the customer accuses the seller of theft basically.
When this happens the seller receives fines from the major credit card institutions and possible is no longer allowed to do business with said institution.

If it was the banks mistake to do a chargeback then Valve isn't to blame. And in the rare case that happens Valve WILL unban your account, provided they get the necessary documentation. Can you blame them? They sold something and then the money was taken from them. It's basically theft from where they're standing.

yeah, except when they 'sell' something, don't deliver it, don't give the money back for weeks, then instruct the customer to charge back, then suspends the account when the customer does what they say!

like i said, not ready for prime time. yes, even on PC.

yeah, except when they 'sell' something, don't deliver it, don't give the money back for weeks, then instruct the customer to charge back, then suspends the account when the customer does what they say!

like i said, not ready for prime time. yes, even on PC.

Care to give an example of Valve not delivering a product somebody paid for, then refusing to respond to support tickets?

Haunted

Honestly the day I lose my steam library is the day I quit gaming(or just stick to MP games only). DD is the future whether we like it not. I hope laws will change to reflect this.
Oh they will, but I have the feeling it won't be to the consumer's benefit.

At least we have relatively friendly consumer protection laws in Europe compared to the US... for now.

I wonder if they meant it can be gameshared 5 times? Well, before they changed it to 2.

I didn't find the statement clear either. Buried somewhere in an official FAQ or official response on a forum there was a better explanation which verified exactly this.

I double checked this before I had to transfer my account to a second PS3. You are allowed to download something as many times as you like, it just cannot be activated on more than 5 (2) devices.

I'm sure he had a LONG line of *awesome* software planned for us all. Can't these kids just remain the attention starved shit heads they have always been, instead of challenging Sony at OUR expense?

Look, hacking is just going to happen. I don't get mad at the hackers, since if the opportunity is there they are going to take advantage of it. If not that particular guy, someone else would have. It's better to think of them as a force of nature that cannot be controlled (because they cannot.)

The IMPORTANT thing is how the legitimate companies involved respond to the hacking, and I think Sony is (as usual) doing a piss-poor job of clearly communicating with their paying users.

2San

Oh they will, but I have the feeling it won't be to the consumer's benefit.

At least we have relatively friendly consumer protection laws in Europe compared to the US... for now.
I think things will be better at some point. Just hope the dark ages won't last too long.

Atomski

Cannot wait for that Digital Distribution future!

People keep saying this.. Yet you are falling for Sony/MS/nintendos's idea of a closed platform DD future.

I don't see Steam taking away games because of some exploit.. oh wait thats because its on an open platform and people can do homebrew freely. Closed platforms controlled by retards are the problem.. not DD.

BibiMaghoo

The interesting thing about this is it's worded just plain wrong.

You can donwload any item on your list an infinite number of times.
You can only use it on 5 (now 2) devices registered to the account.

So yes, in my opinion they did / do mean gameshare. Otherwise it makes no sense. The intended for it to be used on up to 5 (now 2 ) consoles. You are not limited to 5 downloads of any item.

flowsnake

People keep saying this.. Yet you are falling for Sony/MS/nintendos's idea of a closed platform DD future.

I don't see Steam taking away games because of some exploit.. oh wait thats because its on an open platform and people can do homebrew freely. Closed platforms controlled by retards are the problem.. not DD.

Why is Steam an open platform? I don't understand what you mean by "people can do homebrew freely" at all when the games that go on Steam are tightly controlled by Valve.

Lich_King

So, if there will be an exploit in a retail game, will they update firmware to block it from playing or what? Maybe Nintendo should have banned Twilight Princess from playing?

Steam could take your game away for other reasons. The simple fact is any digital distribution can take away your license for a number of reasons and you lose out. Sony isn't the only one. Just the other day I found out Amazon was removing apps from their App store which includes the download history. Just gone.

Hex

Banned
So here is my question, honest question I promise...
DO you really have this sudden urge all of the sudden to play these games?
Did you wake up and say "God damn I really need to play some Hot Shots Tennis and some Motorstorm even though yesterday and for quite a while before I sure as hell didn't or I would have had them installed already or is it just that I read a thread somewhere that said that these games were not available so I would bring my wrath to Gaf?"

Not trying to make light of your obvious suffering, I just think that Sony will be doing something about this and most likely they will be making the games downloadable again before long.

surly

Banned
Steam is not an open platform. The PC is.

If there was an exploit in a particular game on Steam that I could somehow use to obtain other Steam paid-for content for free, do you think they wouldn't pull it? Sony have pulled these games because of the potential for them to lose huge amounts of money so I think any company in that situation would do the same.

The issue here is how Sony handled it. Pulling the games without warning and without offering refunds (even partial) or offering alternative games for free is just shady shit. You go to re-download and your purchase has just disappeared. That's not the way to handle this at all.

Remember last week when Forbes put out that article criticizing game journalists? And instead of taking the criticism to heart, they whined about it? Well this would be a perfect opportunity to prove them wrong, and take Sony to task on the issue. Of course, why risk free games, gifts, and trips when they can just copy and paste another PR statement?

test_account

XP-39C²
So, if there will be an exploit in a retail game, will they update firmware to block it from playing or what? Maybe Nintendo should have banned Twilight Princess from playing?
No, the two games in the OP excist as retail versions as well, and they work fine on the PSP.

You'll likely get it back. Both are SCE games that they can patch in house and re-release.

Though EULA's... at least they don't pull the games just because you look at them funny like EA does.

kadotsu

Banned
No one is saying that, the timing of it is suspect.

I was going to get a Vita (amazon.de deal). I heard that you had to redownload your PSP games in "bubble" form to transfer. The first game I downloaded was ZHP the second Tactics Ogre and the third whoud've been Everybody's Tennis.

Wazzim

Banned
Get that gods damned common sense right the hell out of here!
This is NeoGaf!
"Hey, I am in a bar Gaf, there is this hot girl who seems to be into me what do I do"
"Hey, I just slammed by twig and beans in a drawer and it is bleeding pretty bad Gaf, should I call a doctor?"
"Hey Gaf this item that I bought that is completely under warranty that has a very clear and easy to find contact number located in many places has stopped working, fuck the world and fuck this company Gaf what do I do??"
Damn it Junior, hitting us on the sore spots.

larvi

So from a legal perspective did Sony revoke the license for these games or just remove them from the service? Because if you still have a license you would be able to legally play them on a PSP running CFW. All the more reason to wait until the Vita is hacked before I buy one.

notworksafe

Hey OP why did you suddenly want to play these games?

FWIW, Everybody's Tennis is a damn fun game.

Just a question about Sony's DD offering. Can you download stuff from the PS Store on PC and burn it to DVD as a backup? I do that for Steam (and other DD retailers) games (along with the CD keys) in case they go away.

Baki

A year ago I bought a cheap PSP go to get the 10 free DD game associated with a purchase. One of the games included in this deal was Motorstor:AE. A few weeks ago Sony, without any warning, removed the title from the store and my PSN(SEN) download list. I don't know why and, to be honest, I didn't care all that much. It was "free" after all.

But now Sony did the same with Everybody's Tennis a game that I paid €24.95 for. No refund, no Email, no explanation, nothing. What the fuck is Sony thinking? I called the helpline (Germany) and got the "We're sorry but we can't help you right now" BS line. Does someone know a way to resolve the issue? Do I have any right to get my property back?

I hope Sony resolves this issue quick. Right now I will stop any SEN purchases. This is ridiculous. Yay, DD future.

You sir, deserve a refund.

Top Bottom