• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS attacks - targeting PSN, Spotify, Netflix, Comcast, etc

Playstion Store website is down so I assume it's something with PSN. Anyone else getting a primary ps4 error? Hoping this is causing it.

Sanador

Had the same problem.
Had two errors shown, firstly PSN was having problems and he DNS.

Use the google DNS.
Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.
Worked fine for me and had no problem afterwards.
Before I always had Battlefield showing me, that Battlefield wasn't able to connect.

The DNS service Dyn has been under attack.

JP

Some things seem to be fine, I'm downloading Titanfall 2 on the PS4 without any issues at all.

EDIT:
I'm in the UK.

jeffc919

Anyone blaming sony for this is in the wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm in NY state and I can get online on my PC just fine. I can also get into a MP game on Xbox one. On PS4 I get an error when I try to play BF1 or even just go to the store. I tried changing the DNS servers to the Google servers as suggested above, first in my PS4 network settings and then in my router config, which didn't help. If I go to my PS4 test network option, I intermittently connect or fail to connect to PSN.

There is a widespread DDOS attack but once again PSN seems especially weak in its ability to stay up while other services are still working. I'm pissed because I burned a vacation day to play Battlefield, not deal with this BS.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm in NY state and I can get online on my PC just fine. I can also get into a MP game on Xbox one. On PS4 I get an error when I try to play BF1 or even just go to the store. I tried changing the DNS servers to the Google servers as suggested above, first in my PS4 network settings and then in my router config, which didn't help. If I go to my PS4 test network option, I intermittently connect or fail to connect to PSN.

There is a widespread DDOS attack but once again PSN seems especially weak in its ability to stay up while other services are still working. I'm pissed because I burned a vacation day to play Battlefield, not deal with this BS.

Oh come on. Twitter and Spotify are down too, but this is Sony's fault right?

They may not be attacking those other services. Xbox has succumbed to ddos attacks in the past as well. There really isn't a reasonable solution.

Lucumo

Haven't noticed anything apart from the Fallen London wiki being down. Paypal worked earlier, when I was wasting money again.

Chaplain

Could be a cyberattack since "Department of Homeland Security is taking a close look at the "malicious activity":

Sites across the internet had problems on Friday morning following a cyberattack on a major internet management company. On Friday morning, Dyn — a company that hosts domain name systems — announced it has been the subject of a cyberattack that caused major problems for numerous websites. People reported issues with Twitter, Spotify, SoundCloud, Vox Media sites, Airbnb and numerous other sites.

The White House is aware of the attacks, and the Department of Homeland Security is taking a close look at the "malicious activity," a CBS News reporter said on Twitter.

“The internet continues to rely on protocols and infrastructure designed before cyber security was an issue. DDoS, especially with the rise of insecure IOT devices, will continue to plague our organizations," Ben Johnson, a chief security strategist for Carbon Black, told Mashable. "Sadly, what we are seeing is only the beginning in terms of large scale botnets and disproportionate damage done.”

Source

zkorejo

I was also getting dns error. Changed to opendns and now i can connect to psn but the friendlist doesn't show up, store isnt opening and cant access uncharted mp.

Big Chungus

Yeah you know since I couldn't even get past the internet part of the test connection process I didn't even think it could be an outage. Just got past that to PSN Sign-In and it failed so I googled it and http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/723760/PSN-down-PlayStation-Network-offline-PS4

Thanks Battlefield 1 or Sony or whatever the hells the issue.

Edit: Or it's a DDoS attack and it's out of their control 😓

Yeah I noticed some sites were spotty but they ended up working fine eventually.

yeah thanks a lot sony

jeffc919

Oh come on. Twitter and Spotify are down too, but this is Sony's fault right?

I didn't say it's their fault. I think they could offer a more robust service. Maybe this time was completely unavoidable but it's not the first time that I can connect to Live just fine but I can't connect to PSN, and the PS4 is my preferred system where I buy most of my games.

I didn't say it's their fault. I think they could offer a more robust service. Maybe this time was completely unavoidable but it's not the first time that I can connect to Live just fine but I can't connect to PSN, and the PS4 is my preferred system where I buy most of my games.

While I agree with you when Department of Justice is looking into a massive cyber attack that makes it clear it ain't Sonys fault.

So are you saying that massive, billion dollar services like Twitter or PayPal just don't take security seriously enough? "I can log into GAF but not Twitter!?! Get it together!" Read up on how these kinds of attacks work.

crimilde

Banned
Outage map: http://downdetector.com/status/level3/map/

Edit: Map

Screen_Shot_2016_10_21_at_8_05_24_PM.png

It also affected Soundcloud, GitHub, etc. This is huge.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
"PSN is down? Damn, I'll watch Black Mirror on Netflix inste... fuck! What is going on? Guess I'll check Reddit..."

Top Bottom