• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS attacks - targeting PSN, Spotify, Netflix, Comcast, etc

Melchiah

I was able to play Destiny six hours ago, and again a couple of hours ago. It was only a brief period inbetween, when I couldn't go past the character selection screen. From a Finnish perspective, it seems like it wasn't that successful attack.

jeffc919

So are you saying that massive, billion dollar services like Twitter or PayPal just don't take security seriously enough? "I can log into GAF but not Twitter!?! Get it together!" Read up on how these kinds of attacks work.

Like I said...this time might have been unavoidable, but my opinion is that their service is down more than it should be and I'll just leave it at that. It's like an employee that calls in sick a lot more than he should. It doesn't mean that one of those times he isn't actually legitimately sick.

crimilde

Banned
I was able to play Destiny six hours ago, and again a couple of hours ago. It was only a brief period inbetween, when I couldn't go past the character selection screen. From a Finnish perspective, it seems like it wasn't that successful attack.

Europe seems to be largely unaffected, the US was hit the hardest.

Was having problems with Spotify earlier and just thought it was my service being shitty. But I just got home and was planning on playing some bo3, but it looks like that's not gonna happen.

Kyrios

I was on PSN this morning but when I exited my game I noticed everything was down and got a DNS error trying to sync trophies.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm in NY state and I can get online on my PC just fine. I can also get into a MP game on Xbox one. On PS4 I get an error when I try to play BF1 or even just go to the store. I tried changing the DNS servers to the Google servers as suggested above, first in my PS4 network settings and then in my router config, which didn't help. If I go to my PS4 test network option, I intermittently connect or fail to connect to PSN.

There is a widespread DDOS attack but once again PSN seems especially weak in its ability to stay up while other services are still working. I'm pissed because I burned a vacation day to play Battlefield, not deal with this BS.

It's the DNS servers from Dyn and it's affecting so many huge service providers, not an attack on Sony directly. You're embarrassing yourself.

Nzyme32

Why do they attack that service ?

Because it gets the funny reactions they are after and "outrage" with all these threads. Then a group claim responsibility, you folks flip out and make it more entertaining and circulate the name giving them notoriety - rinse and repeat

UV-6

It's partially up for me in the UK. I am able to sign-in and download the Battlefield 1 patch, pretty quickly actually. The store is down though so can't redeem the pre-order incentive.

Haven't tried playing online yet. Will check out the campaign first.

SigSig

Because it gets the funny reactions they are after and "outrage" with all these threads. Then a group claim responsibility, you folks flip out and make it more entertaining and circulate the name giving them notoriety - rinse and repeat

This seems highly unlikely, considering the scale of the attack.

crimilde

Banned
Twitter and PSN have gone down for me here in Ireland during the last hour. Don't know if that definitely means it's spreading everywhere over here but it's not looking good.

Yeah, I posted a link on the previous page from Level3, UK, Ireland, Germany and France also seem to be having some issues.

Have been using Spotify, Steam, and Reddit just fine here in North East US. This is the first place I've seen people mention problems today.

Hope things get resolved soon.

raindoc

Time to read some books guys...oh who am I kidding.
DNYXCCk.jpg

Aenima

Yeah, I posted a link on the previous page from Level3, UK, Ireland and France also seem to be having some issues.

You can add Portugal to the list. Funny thing is 10 minutes ago i was playing SF5 against a french guy. But was getting very slow matchmakings so decided to do a conection test and now just say PSN down.

A.Romero

Can only check twitter at this time and it doesn't work. I'm from Mexico.

Can't remember an attack this big before.

IdodgerI

Down and out for me, south west UK. Don't get to try BF1 until Monday now as I'm busy all weekend, and going out this evening. Great 🙄.

crimilde

Banned
You can add portugal to the list. Funny thing is 10 minutes ago i was playing SF5 against a french guy. But was getting very slow matchmakings so decided to do a conection test and now just say PSN down.

Oh yeah I just did a test too (Romania) and it's down. Got a pop-up saying PSN is undergoing maintenance so it might be controlled, though.
Twitter is working fine, at least.

Top Bottom