• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Is there any story/lore that's decent enough to keep me going for newer and newer revelations as I play? Debating if I want to add this to my Steam Sale cart.

Holy shoot I made it through the Sepulchre, THAT was a nail biter! Funny thing is I went there because I was like "fuck it this run sucks anyway, may as well try" and I made it. Got some pretty sick rare blueprints out of it.

Then I did a speedrun up to the first boss and made all the timed doors on the way there, got some blueprints from that too. Pretty productive session! This game is great. Just hope they fix the stuttering at some point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I had this on my wishlist, with no intentions of buying it during sale. If it weren't for the chatter on GAF I probably wouldn't have given it a good look. Talk about a diamond in the rough! I'm really enjoying it thus far!

Maximus P

OK I'm in, and after about an hour of game time I'm still clueless.

I managed to defeat the first elite boss and unlocked the climbing vines. I've also unlocked the health vile and got the skill which gives you a percentage of your coin back when you die.

What are the best things to spend my souls on early game?

OK I'm in, and after about an hour of game time I'm still clueless.

I managed to defeat the first elite boss and unlocked the climbing vines. I've also unlocked the health vile and got the skill which gives you a percentage of your coin back when you die.

What are the best things to spend my souls on early game?

Unlock all the weapons and active skills (except shields because they are garbage) and get 2 potions and 40% gold when you die. Don't worry too much about upgrading gear past the 10 cells mark. I'd prioritize getting 3 vials and 65% gold first.

Maximus P

Unlock all the weapons and active skills (except shields because they are garbage) and get 2 potions and 40% gold when you die. Don't worry too much about upgrading gear past the 10 souls mark. I'd prioritize getting 3 vials and 65% gold first.

Sweet. Thank you.

Duffman

Damn, I don't know how I missed this. Everything from combat to art-style looks top notch. I'll definitely buy this when it comes out of EA.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bought and returned about half an hour in. The stuttering was driving my nuts. Looks like the devs are aware of it and I will buy it again once its fixed.

I bought it but didnt return it, the core game is amazingly good just waiting on the devs to fix the stuttering so I can keep playing.

Vasili2K38

I bought it but didnt return it, the core game is amazingly good just waiting on the devs to fix the stuttering so I can keep playing.

Same here, some stuttering but I love the gameplay and the artstyle, I suppose they will fix it eventually.

grmlin

So,
this is normally not the type of game for me. Couldn't get into Saltn sanctuary at all for example.

But this game, why is so much fun! Awesome gamplay, and I don't mind dying all the time. I love it!

Majukun

So,
this is normally not the type of game for me. Couldn't get into Saltn sanctuary at all for example.

But this game, why is so much fun! Awesome gamplay, and I don't mind dying all the time. I love it!

eh...usually i don't mind dying,but enemy placement sometimes is really sadistic and forces the game to slow down considerably,forcing you to use cheap hit and run tactics..like with those "spider-thingies" in the prison that both drop bombs and spawn flying minions...you literally can't stay there and attack that thing because between the bombs and the flying guys you are dead,especially if it's located in a small space ...so you have to go hit and run...and they even have a good amount of hp

game still has to balance some things.

eh...usually i don't mind dying,but enemy placement sometimes is really sadistic and forces the game to slow down considerably,forcing you to use cheap hit and run tactics..like with those "spider-thingies" in the prison that both drop bombs and spawn flying minions...you literally can't stay there and attack that thing because between the bombs and the flying guys you are dead,especially if it's located in a small space ...so you have to go hit and run...and they even have a good amount of hp

Yeah for this reason Skills are way better for the vast majority of the game. My best runs are ones where I have great active skills that synergize. And why wouldn't you cheese enemies? There's no downside at all 99% of the time. Why get close when you can cheese safely from range. The only part where this can fuck you up is against The Watcher, who I still haven't beaten after 4 or 5 attempts. I think the damage scaling on weapons late-game, as well as the strength stat, should probably be higher. Or the damage of skills nerfed, but I think melee buffs are the way to go.

Zyae

How are hit and run tactics "cheap" when there are items and skills designed to use this tactic?

Majukun

How are hit and run tactics "cheap" when there are items and skills designed to use this tactic?

even if they are not cheap,it's still boring to pass minutes on a single enemy doing hit and run continuously because it's the only way to approach it without dying in 2 seconds.
they should at least reduce the amount of hp they have so that if you take the risky approach and go mano a mano,or at least decide to stay in their proximity instead of fleeing,you have the chance to kill them before they spawn too many bad things..basically make them a glass cannon

another enemy i don't really like are those rocks (?) in the ossarium that just stay still and spam a force field around them..they are boring to fight since they don't move but you can't avoid fighting them because their force field is huge and usually blocks the entire path

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Is there another thread for this game while it is in early beta? I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of more people who are playing it right now.

Crash331

I like what I'm reading here. Gotta wait for that console release first though.

I am using my old Xbox 360 controller and it's great with big picture mode. My DS4 works great as well, but I don't have the bluetooth module to wireless connect it and I do have the old Xbox 360 wireless PC dongle.

I usually hate rogue-likes because I hate "knowledge" being your only progression. I can't do BoI because of that. Dead Cells does get a lot easier with knowledge, but you can also level up your items and health potions and stuff to brute force through areas if you just don't have the skill to progress.

dr_mario

That game is way greater than I thought!

A question though: I fulfilled my first weapon at the colelcotr (blood dagger or so), what do I have from it? Where / How can I get the weapon after dying?

Even in early access, this game is very, very good. I've been doing a few runs every day recently, and think I'll stop soon until they get closer to release so I don't burn out on it.

dr_mario

Every time you buy a new weapon it just has a random chance to spawn when you get a weapon pickup at any point in the game.

Oh, okay. That's kinda lame. So there are blueprint weapons and normal weaposn? Because before I completed a blueprint, there was a dual-sword-weapon that I found.

Oh, okay. That's kinda lame. So there are blueprint weapons and normal weaposn? Because before I completed a blueprint, there was a dual-sword-weapon that I found.

All the normal weapons have blueprints.

P.S. I'm obsessed with this game.

Edit.

To further elaborate, as you complete blueprints you now get chances for those weapons to spawn in shops and in chests

You also later on get an upgrade that has a random starting melee weapon so you no longer use the starting sword.

Even in early access, this game is very, very good. I've been doing a few runs every day recently, and think I'll stop soon until they get closer to release so I don't burn out on it.

Same here. I still haven't beaten the 2nd boss though, even though I beat the first one without getting hit already. I haven't even gotten to him with 25 hours played :(

Closest chance I had was level 9 weapon with an electric whip that did 4x damage. I could get hit and almost die but as soon as I hit something I would lifesteal all of it back. I ended up getting hit with 2 things really quick and dying right before the crypt.

Arica_jade

Neo Member
deadcells_SMB.png

Arica_jade

Neo Member
It was interesting... brought a new element into the game. Without like quad jump though its tough to get above some enemies.

Same here. I still haven't beaten the 2nd boss though, even though I beat the first one without getting hit already. I haven't even gotten to him with 25 hours played :(

Closest chance I had was level 9 weapon with an electric whip that did 4x damage. I could get hit and almost die but as soon as I hit something I would lifesteal all of it back. I ended up getting hit with 2 things really quick and dying right before the crypt.

I've only gotten to the second boss twice, and did poorly each time. That whip build sounds pretty rad!

Mario_Amulet.img

And here I thought the quad jump amulet was wild.

Just finally got to the timed door at the end of the wharf in time (just under 6 minutes) and it's a locked door that can't be accessed yet? I've been grinding this out for a couple of days :|

fuck me.

Maddrical

Just finally got to the timed door at the end of the wharf in time (just under 6 minutes) and it's a locked door that can't be accessed yet? I've been grinding this out for a couple of days :|

fuck me.

I was wondering about that door myself, I got there once and it was locked. But there's also a locked door in the graveyard you can find the key for, so maybe there's a key in the wharf area somewhere? I'm not sure though, never found it myself.

JoeBoy101

Can someone explain the locked doors to me?

I don't understand what I have to do there. All I see are locked.

In the Graveyard? I assume you have to get a key somewhere. If its the red glowing doors, they are timed and you have to speedrun to reach them.

I would love to play this game but I'm not a fan of perma-death.

I hope Motion Twin gives us an option to play DC without PD if and when it comes to consoles.

Crash331

I hope Motion Twin gives us an option to play DC without PD if and when it comes to consoles.

I doubt it, it's pretty integral to the experience.

You still make progress by banking cells, so all is not totally lost on each death.

I was wondering about that door myself, I got there once and it was locked. But there's also a locked door in the graveyard you can find the key for, so maybe there's a key in the wharf area somewhere? I'm not sure though, never found it myself.

It's just content not yet in the game. The sign says you're prohibited and the PC flips it off.

so you want like a 35 minute game?

grmlin

Yesterday I found an amulet that could revived me :) That was handy. The 1st real boss still killed me though, lol.

d00d3n

Just for reference, the game doesn't seem to work well with intel hd graphics. Constant frame rate drops make the game unplayable for me on my Surface Laptop i5. Look elsewhere if you want something to play on your intel ultrabook during the summer months.

13ruce

Banned
Really can't wait to play this on Switch later whenever it arrives. Roquelike Metroidvania is my dreamgame could play 100s no 1000s of hours of such goodness.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The controls are just great! Everything is so freaking smooth. This game is pure joy to play.

Reani

i often cant decide between playing this and 20xx. both games are super fun.

if you like this type of games but also enjoyed megaman - try out 20xx http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110/20XX/
i strongly recommend picking it up aswell.

i think i have like 150 hours total in this 2 games over the past year.

Cant wait for additional zones past watcher, beating watcher is kinda easy when you get used to the game mechanics

Top Bottom