• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead franchises almost nobody but you seems to want back

Archtreyz

Not to be rude, but I hope this thread moves beyond just being a list thread. I don't really know some of these names that are being brought up here. I mean, I don't think an essay is needed, but maybe a little description will make more people interested in your series of choice.
Lost Kingdoms is a card battling game where you run around with a deck and cucle through monsters of different elements that also belong to different classes of use. For instance, some are summons that roam around the level and attack other creatures. Some are weapons that have a limited number of attacks. Some are supports that heal you or restore your MP. Then there are transform cards that temporarily turn you into that monster. It's pretty engaging aside from the nonsense story.

Super Monkey Ball.

The first 2 on Gamecube were amazing and the original Xbox got a compilation that combined them both into one fantastic game. And then the series' quality dropped dramatically and everything was shovelware. What happened? Bring the good games back.

Super Monkey Ball is so simple.

Don't need a storyline, great graphics, or gimmicks.

It's marble madness with monkeys and snake courses. How can they fuck it up?

duckroll

Landstalker is my favorite game of all time. It remains the only Zelda "clone" on any platform which I felt resonated with me in some really special ways. There were great dungeons, the use the equipment was creative, and I loved the art. Most of all, the memory I like best from the game is that randomly in the middle of the game there is a totally optional side quest involving a guy who wants to reopen a store, and you get to decide what he should sell. The sort of store he opens depends on your input and determines what unique items that one store will sell for the rest of the game. I don't know why that made me feel so great, but it did.

When they announced a PSP remake for the game I was overjoyed. Too bad it never happened. Too bad one of the lead designers of the game at Climax also died young. Lots of sad memories about Landstalker beyond the initial release. I never really cared for any of the sequel/spin offs like Ladystalker and Dark Savior either.

I just want another Landstalker with the same world, same characters, but more adventures, puzzles, and quirky towns. T_T

Slayven

5152ZT2FBGL._SY445_.jpg

RRockman

Banned
Another Century's Episode

EDIT: Big huge Crossover Mech game from Various Animes. the focus is usually Real Robot but they sneak in some Supers like Shin Getter Robo from time to time. the sizes are all correctly scaled, King Gainer is stupid small next to a Gundam and Everyone is stupid small compared to SGR's Main Villains Dragon, for example. The gameplay style is straight up Zone of the enders with some nice QoL changes, (being able to dash through an enemy and leave two halves behind instead of wasting time on him is functional and stylish) Everyone still plays very differently too, Nirvash plays completely differently to a Macross ship. as another example.

it was a collab between Banpresto and From Software, the latter of which (fortunately for others and unfortunately for me) are currently involved with the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm happy they are doing well, but I shed a tear when another year goes by without one of these games.

Golden Sun.

I need closure on this series and Dark Dawn did nothing but get me excited for a sequel that has never materialized.

There are a number of franchises I want to see come back where I'm probably one of several thousand. I'll mention two.

There might be a sizable audience who wants it back in Japan, but not elsewhere:

Siren. The first two are truly amazing, quality horror games. They also seem to have been shunned in the western world, especially within the context of a certain Resident Evil game (iirc, a number of European reviews of Siren 2 lamented the fact that it wasn't more like a game that barely made any pretense of attempting at a horror experience). They're also difficult, feature a Japanese cast, can be clunky, intentionally obtuse, and turned off Americans with a mixed bag of British VA in the original.

And very much, dead in the ground to the point where even an HD collection isn't feasible:

Xenosaga. I think the franchise deserves to come back due to the sheer fact that absolutely nothing in the industry has attempted a JRPG at this level of ambition (Kiseki might be worth a mention), but of course, it's completely impossible. Why am I largely alone? After the second title, a lot of people grew cold to the games. The first game also turned quite a few people off, resulting in the sales drop. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I liked Xenoblade quite a bit more than I thought I would, but I don't think it can replace this series.

Not to be rude, but I hope this thread moves beyond just being a list thread. I don't really know some of these names that are being brought up here, so I'd love to know more (besides retreating to google lol). I mean, I don't think an essay is needed, but maybe a little description will make more people interested in your series of choice.

Bloody Roar is a 3D fighting game where the "unique" thing about it is that every character can turn into a specific animal/beast. It's an incredibly fun and fresh series with a lot of depth.

Characters like Jenny the Bat, a long legged blonde that can turn into a bat and fly around and suck blood.

Battle Hunter
Silent Storm
Jagged Alliance (a not shitty one)
Blue Stinger
Seven Mansions
3D Dot Game Heroes
Champions of Norath

hitmon

Suikoden series. I loved seeing the fortress build up as you recruit your army. It's a Konami title so its never coming back.

The one I want back I think a decent amount of people do as well but probably won't ever happen. But I'd kill for a Dead Space reboot

Zalman

Sly Cooper. I love this series so much. Memorable characters and awesome gameplay. I enjoyed Sly 4 on PS3 and it bums me out there's no sign of a sequel. Sadly the series doesn't sell very well and people barely talk about it. I guess I just like it more than most.

Vibranium

Banned
Snatcher. I would love to see Kojima assemble a team after Death Stranding to do a smaller-budget spiritual successor adventure game.

Brothers in Arm

You're not the only one my friend, it was confirmed to be in pre-production actually. There is a small, yet dedicated fanbase waiting things out past countless Borderlands games. Maybe CoD: WWII will get Gearbox to fast track the project. Troy Baker's always around to finish Matt Baker's story, we really need to see that Bastogne snow combat in Unreal Engine 4.

I would seriously say 80% of the games mentioned in this thread have active fanbases of people clamouring for reboots/sequels.

Let's get a bit more exotic here!

I'd like a sequel to Gungriffon. Gungriffon was a series of very cool Japanese mech games developed by Game Arts for Saturn, PS2 and Xbox.

I would love to see a new Zone of the Enders game- franchise has been dormant for almost 15 years now though.

Also, insert Jawmuncher talking about Dino Crisis here

Came here to post ZoE. I played 2 as part of the HD collection on 360. 1 didn't age well but 2 held up. Amazing game and one of my favs.

Also came here to post Red Faction... there still hasn't been a game that's topped that destruction.

I NEED another Virtua Fighter. My friends think I'm just being a hipster but that was my all-time favorite 3D fighter. Tekken and DOA are gonna have to do until then ._.

Also

latest

It's not that amazing from a gameplay standpoint, but I always thought Primal Rage had a really neat universe and cast of characters. God dinosaurs/apes tearing each other apart to rule supreme over a post apocalyptic earth.

In the unlikely event this would get a revival, I suppose Netherrealm Studios as the developer might make sense on paper, but their games have always kinda felt/looked stiff and soulless to me. Maybe Iron Galaxy seeing as they did well with Killer Instinct.

I'd love to see Ristar get brought back. Ristar on the Genesis is one of my favorite platformers. It's classic Sega all the way and a new 2D digital-only Ristar game would be loads of fun.

I'd also like to see some of Clover Studio's IPs comeback in a big way. We still need a proper Viewtiful Joe 3, damn it!

Top Bottom