• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead franchises almost nobody but you seems to want back

dickroach

well... my post was gonna be Katamari. but I guess you took that. which means both of our posts have been negated. abort thread.

but yeah, they should really release an evergreen Katamari title on PC. a new 20 level campaign and then have DLC levels, every past Katamari level, and some awesome unique ones like the Pac Man level in Touch My Katamari. leaderbords and time trials and all that stuff.

250px-Magitsbox.jpg

ActRaiser. I'm sure other people want it back too but I'm surprised that game's style hasn't been replicated in a game lately (but if it has please let me know because I want to play it). ActRaiser had an awesome soundtrack with an interesting strategy/action gameplay mix.

Chibot

Tenchu hasn't had a solid entry since the PS2 and I miss it. Today's From could probably do great things with the series.

duckroll

e02onQg.jpg

Here is another one: Metal Warriors

This Konami/Lucasarts action game on SNES is an absolute blast. Like a 2D Lost Planet way before its time, you can exit your mech to get into new ones you find around the stages, and there's both mech action and humanoid action. But the real meat of the game comes in the amazing split-screen multiplayer, where two players compete to kill each other in an entire stage. You can hide from each other, swap mechs if you escape before yours blows up, etc. Great times. It's huge shame there has never been a remake, port, or even Virtual Console release. :(

No one even remembers this game.

Too Human

also not a series but people are eager for more Crash games...yet nobody mentions Crash Bash. i want that one remade.

This Konami/Lucasarts action game on SNES is an absolute blast. Like a 2D Lost Planet way before its time, you can exit your mech to get into new ones you find around the stages, and there's both mech action and humanoid action. But the real meat of the game comes in the amazing split-screen multiplayer, where two players compete to kill each other in an entire stage. You can hide from each other, swap mechs if you escape before yours blows up, etc. Great times. It's huge shame there has never been a remake, port, or even Virtual Console release. :(

I want to pick that game up, its so darn expensive now though.

e02onQg.jpg

I actually really liked this game when I was younger! I only could afford very very few games so I would play this one over and over again.

Dang it now I miss this...it got "lost" in a yard sale.

Twisted Metal.

People say car combat is a dead genre. I say much like everything else people disagree with me on they are wrong.

Return the series to its single player roots. No not Black. The cheeky, twisted dark comedy version seen in the first and second game's. Crank the tech up to 11, make the cars feel weighty and the bullets and missiles have heft to them that do real time damage to the cars and environment. And then let me jump a canal onto a skating rink, running over a mall santa in downtown not quite apocalyptic New York City.

augmental

Metal Warriors was a lot of fun. There was another NES mech game where you could reverse gravity which was also cool.

e02onQg.jpg

Zeta Oni

Blood Wake

7d6U675.png

Its Twisted Metal on water. That's it.

...and it was great.

This thread is making me wanna dig out some retro systems.

Altazor

e02onQg.jpg

I do!

Played the multiplayer a lot with one of my best friends. It was fun as hell.

OuterLimits

Vandal Hearts series. Ok, it was only two games really. Well, three if you count the lackluster DL version last gen, but the first two were brilliant. Very underrated SRPG series.

Oh and bring back Arc the Lad as well.

Noctilum

Ecco the Dolphin

The type of game isn't for everyone. I just like the concept and game play. I'd really like to see how an "open ocean" concept would work for it. Think Breath of the Wild but underwater. The Dreamcast version was nice but still sandboxy. Graphically it would be quite a beautiful game and I think we need a good game with today's graphics showing off what the ocean is like.

e02onQg.jpg

Loved this game, Nitro was best mech

Split/Second

Technically it's not a franchise as it's literally the only title, but damn if this game wasn't good. I think a sequel could have improved on online and just added more of everything (levels, cars, customization, etc.) and it would have been a successful franchise.

The game reviewed great and was a victim of poor timing. Fuck man. Fuck Disney.

El Odio

Banned
I picked this up months ago at a 2nd hand store and have yet to actually start it up. I remember seeing ads for it in Nintendo Power way back when and thought it looked cool but I guess I'm just afraid of seeing that it isn't all I thought it would be cracked up to be.

I'd have to say Battalion Wars for me. It was such an interesting take on an RTS game and I haven't seen anything similar to it at all. It would have been neat to have on the Wii U where you could had a live overview of the map on the gamepad but I guess it just wasn't meant to be...

Strings

If we're talking obscure games we'd love sequels to - Folklore!

Folklore.jpg

Early PS3 RPG that did so sold so poorly it killed its developer, despite the game being rad :(

They even pitched Sony a PSP sequel that was super well received internally, but shelved after first game sales numbers came in.

EDIT: Game also had a great soundtrack (https://youtu.be/U9xGl8IKSVA?t=10).

koutoru

SW_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg

Sakura Wars

Why?:Under the right budget. I think Sakura Wars could actually find a nice niche within the PS4/PC crowd.
Why almost no one would care:At least in the west it's a super niche franchise with one localization that reviewed well critically but commercially bombed.

Hah I remember my cousin got this on a demo disk. We were young and felt like we would get in trouble for playing it.

I really miss Gex. The themed level platform genre really is untapped. Horror, cartoon, so many levels with cool themes and music. Best part is that crystal dynamics is alive and well.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
SoulCalibur. The soul still burns.

Also, where is the Virtua Fighter guy?

I would also love a modern sequel to Jaws Unleashed just because it was such an absurd game and would be hilarious with good graphics.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Mana Khemia. I really want a new Mana Khemia.

Almost anything that Quintet created too—ActRaiser and the Soul Blazer games in particular.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
e02onQg.jpg

Was this the spiritual successor to Cybernator?

I wish they made another Waverace.

Top Bottom