• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 developer Yager dropped by Deep Silver

MattyG

Banned
Yikes, did not see that coming. Dead Island 2 wasn't looking so hot though, so it probably shouldn't be too unexpected. I wonder who it'll get handed off to now or if it just gets scrapped.

Tamaki? Your time is now.
I had little interest in this game but I would love to find out how it's development ended up with this conclusion.

Well, they fought with 2k over the multiplayer for Spec Ops, the game was delayed nearly 2 years and the intial concept of the was for a constant dynamic sandstorm and weather to effect the city as you progressed...
...that was all dumped in favour of a poor shooter, with above average graphics and a mildly interesting story.

Not really surprised they dropped the ball again.

Damn....I mean, I hated their idea for the game....but still, Damn.

I hope the base portion of the game still stays the same. I need a zombie game set in San Francisco

DrArchon

Holy shit.

I mean, I can't say I'm terribly surprised that there were problems with DI2. I mean, it's been over a year and we've heard fuck all about it, but I figured that just meant they were retooling it or something, not dropping the dev and probably starting over from scratch.

At this point, is Dead Island even worth the effort?

Bebpo

Banned
Spec Ops was cool, but Spec Ops was a completely linear hallway cinematic shooter. Maybe open world isn't really for Yager. They would have been good for something like The Order.

Holy shit.

I mean, I can't say I'm terribly surprised that there were problems with DI2. I mean, it's been over a year and we've heard fuck all about it, but I figured that just meant they were retooling it or something, not dropping the dev and probably starting over from scratch.

At this point, is Dead Island even worth the effort?

Deep Silver seems wholly convinced Dead Island is a major franchise.

I admit I'm completely confused why, but maybe their financials bear that out. I've never met anyone that goes "Yeah, I'll buy anything Dead Island!"

I admit I'm completely confused why, but maybe their financials bear that out. I've never met anyone that goes "Yeah, I'll buy anything Dead Island!"

Im close to that...but fuck whatever that MOBA shit is they made. Not touching that. I bought all the other games though, including escape dead island

I still have beta access for dead island 2 waiting from preordering escape dead island haha

Yikes, did not see that coming. Dead Island 2 wasn't looking so hot though, so it probably shouldn't be too unexpected. I wonder who it'll get handed off to now or if it just gets scrapped.

I hope whoever takes over adds a proper campaign and plot. No one wants to do menial, repetitive shit for hours with no sense of progression.

Yager's vision for the game was terrible.

Karak

That is awesome news. So god damned happy for this. It will add time but...man what this was going to be...no one would have wanted.

I hope whoever takes over adds a proper campaign and plot. No one wants to do menial, repetitive shit for hours with no sense of progression.

Yeah. It felt really lazy. Also, the lead writer for Spec Ops The Line left a while ago. I wonder if that was one of the reasons for the design choice. On top of that, I wonder if they got the money back from using Hollywood in the game now that it is not coming out. I don't know why Yager insisted on it.

WOW!!

When was the last time a publisher dropped a developer halfway through development?

Phantom Dust earlier this year. Before that, Prey 2. Probably some others I don't recall right now, but it's definitely still uncommon enough to be notable - especially with a sequel as big as Dead Island.

I agree with you, but are we sure that wasn't what Deep Silver wanted, as opposed to Yager? It sounded like they were creating a persistent world co-op thingy not unlike Destiny, which is obviously very hot with publishers right now.

KissVibes

Banned
I doubt this is really about Yager delivering a bad product. Keep in mind, Deep Silver has delivered THREE fucking awful Dead Island games since the original. I'm sure this is about them wanting to make a game for as little as humanly possible.

I can't say exactly why, since even I know the games have more than just one issue, but I love the series.

SephLuis

I am not fmailiar with the dev or the series, but did they showed any gameplay after the initial teaser trailer ? And this dev developed something good before ?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt this is really about Yager delivering a bad product. Keep in mind, Deep Silver has delivered THREE fucking awful Dead Island games since the original. I'm sure this is about them wanting to make a game for as little as humanly possible.

Which 3 are those ? As Dead Island 1 is excellent and Dead Island Riptide is decent but more of an expansion pack. I can only think of that moba type thing that was released.

I am not fmailiar with the dev or the series, but did they showed any gameplay after the initial teaser trailer ? And this dev developed something good before ?

There was significant gameplay footage out of E3 last year, and previously they made Spec Ops: The Line which, while in a completely different genre, is very highly regarded as a twist in the third person shooter field.

This explains the sudden absence of info for the game. Was looking forward to it since Riptide left off on a small cliffhanger... though I have a feeling they're not going to conclude that anyway.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

How is paying a dev to make your game for years and then more than likely having to start pretty much from scratch about saving money?

They get ZERO ROI for this move.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Huh... really surprised by this. I thought Yager did a great job with Spec Ops; I wonder what happened between then and now. I was really looking forward to more from them.

OmegaDL50

This is the same Deep Silver that decided to not work with the former Ascaron devs for Sacred 3 and put Keen Games on that project instead?

Yeah, can't say I have much confidence on whatever dev Deep Silver uses instead for Dead Rising.

Roussow

Yeah, seeing how the game was last time it was shown -- unless it had a killer story, It couldn't compete in a Post-Dying Light world.

Top Bottom