• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 developer Yager dropped by Deep Silver

HMD

Because it looked terrible in comparison to the superior Dying Light, DL was the most fun I had in gaming for a while, I'm hoping for a DL2.

dex3108

I don't know how or if game will come out but it is interesting to see that publisher is ready to take game from developer if they don't like what they are doing. Many publishers would just push it on market.

wipeout364

I really did not like that trailer at all with the guy running it looked stupid and was jarring compared to the first two games

. I actually enjoyed dead island 1 and 2 quite a bit so that was a disappointment I don't need another dead rising. I never saw the actual gameplay & lost interest after that with dying light looking so good.

It was weird in a way because I really enjoyed spec ops. I don't know maybe yager just couldn't pull off an open world.

This always seemed like a waste of Yager's talents, after how phenomenal Spec Ops was. Hope they pull through okay.

Also, Dying Light was all I wanted out of a sequel to Dead Island anyway

Vuze

Well shit. But tbh I totally forgot about the game; forced multiplayer / no story quest line were a huge turn-off for me. Plus I haven't even finished Dying Light.

Anyway, I'm skeptical as to how this will turn out... All the best to Yager

Beefy

I still remember the Dead Island trailer, it was probaby one of the best game trailers ever. Shame the game didn't live up to it and now the sequel seems a mess.

Enco

To be fair the game sounded absolutely awful in the interviews.

No story, no end game, just random fetch quests. Lol. A bomba from the start.

Calmine

Shame was looking forward to it. Yager are decent Spec Ops was great in its story telling. I saw Dead Island 2 at EGX last year and it looked good, but it had some serious frame rate problems didn't look optimised at all.

Durden77

So sad to see the geniuses that made Spec Ops The Line reduced to this. Don't know if it was because they were forced to do projects they didn't want to do to get by or what (I know Spec Ops was a flop), but if it's a shit game, it's a shit game.

Still hope the absolute best for them though.

Makes sense. The gameplay they showed off looked VERY rough, and it was a no show at this E3 and has been a no show since the trailer.

Dunkley

Well I'm torn about this. I'm glad Deep Silver cares about their vision with Dead Island 2 enough to make such a huge step instead of finishing it up in whatever state and sending it to die, but on the other side I do feel bad about Yager and while the prototype looked rough, I am sure what they had at this point was a lot better and would have been interesting to play.

In either case, guess it's back to the drawing board.

MrBS

I need to know the story behind this!

As for the game itself I wasn't a fan of what was going on with this game. I would prefer another cheap and nasty sequel like Riptide. The previous games were fun for what they were.

I'm far more bummed about the indefinite hiatus of Hellraid :(

ezekial45

Banned
What's weird is dying light to me is dead island 2. Just make another dying light game in the series

To clear things up, Techland opted out of Dead Island 2 to focus on Dying Light - which was published by WB Games. Deep Silver went with another indie dev for DI2.

LycanXIII

Damn second dev deep silver has dropped in a year. Not looking good for them. (Crytek with Homefront being the first)

Deep Silver bought the Homefront IP from Crytek after Crytek themselves fucked up. They then created a new studio (DS Dambusters) for the people that were working on the game at Crytek UK to continue work on the game.

That latest Saints Row hell game got a pass and this didn't? It must be really rough. Poor Yager.

Dead Island 2 is a full-fledged sequel. Gat out of Hell is an expansion. Gat out of Hell probably cost less to make, too, given the likely amount of asset and tech reuse.

I don't like what this portends for Yager, but maybe Spec Ops: The Line was a fluke success.

sector4

Goddamn :( I thought the gameplay from last years E3 looked decent, and was somewhat looking forward to exploring Holywood / LA. I hope Yager survives, Yager and Spec Ops were both excellent games.

Massa

The original Dead Island is one of the worst games I played last gen, I can't imagine making a sequel to that would be hard at all. Deep Silver probably doesn't know what they want.

I think that game was done, but Dying Light scared them. Too much similar, and it was playable at Gamescom. Probably gonna be rebooted.

Tapejara

Damn. Hopefully Yager is able to survive this; we've seen it happen too many times where one failed game is enough to put a studio under.

Dead Island 2 looked and sounded like garbage, I hope this means they'll go back to the drawing in some respects and not have the game be an endless stream of repetitive missions with no end in sight.

Yup. I think having no story with procedural/repetitive mission designed around drop in/out multiplayer really hurt the game. That right there did them in. Also, the parkour system that was introduced in Dying Light put this game to shame.

Anung

Un Rama
I'd hate to see Yager go under. They bought a lot of good will with Spec Ops. That said, I lost a lot of interest in this game after Dying Light came out and kicked ass. That looked like Dying Light but with gutted features.

ooooh. Yager did Spec Ops? Well that explains a lot. Spec Ops was fucking garbage.

Hopefully no-one is fired over this though.

JqS6luU.gif

Spec Ops was great.

I guess this means we wont be seeing Dead Island 2 until at least 2017.

Dysun

I expected this to happen to Homefront 2, not Dead Island 2. Game looked alright when they last showed it, but it was a strange omission from this years E3

KodaRuss

It has to do with how good Dying Light was at least a little. If you are a Dead Island fan and you havent played Dying Light you need to.

Shredderi

Sad for the devs if they get layoffs because of this, but to be honest the game looked pretty rough and sound even worse. I really hated the direction they were going for regarding campaign structure or lack thereoff. I'm surprised at this news but not shocked. After Dying Light really showing them up I kind of figured they'd go back to the drawing board. Hopefully they'll come up with something that sounds a lot better than their original vision.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

This was one of my more anticipated games. Here's hoping it'll see the light of day.

It looked solid at last year's E3...

Top Bottom