• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record |OT2|

Whoa, is this region locked on Steam?

It has the following disclaimer!

"Notice: Capcom requires that this game will not install or update when connecting from an IP address attributed to Germany."

I'm US military stationed in Germany. Wonder if it will let me buy it.

Tizoc

As someone who liked DR2 (but HATED the bosses), will I like this as well?
Sorry for asking such a question but with all the games coming out now, this one's not exactly high on my list ^_^;

AgentOtaku said:
Whoa, is this region locked on Steam?

It has the following disclaimer!

"Notice: Capcom requires that this game will not install or update when connecting from an IP address attributed to Germany."

I'm US military stationed in Germany. Wonder if it will let me buy it.
Germany has some crazy censorship laws and sometimes publishers simply choose to not release a game there rather than change it.

AleeN634

Tizoc said:
As someone who liked DR2 (but HATED the bosses), will I like this as well?

They toned down a lot of the psychopaths and you can beat a lot of them with the Spiked baseball bat. With the new save system I never really felt stuck. Most of the new psychopath battles are pretty easy once you know the pattern (they did change up a few of their patterns).

There were only 2 psychopaths I had problems with while completing the game:
Ted and Snowflake since I was level 1, I'll probably wait for new game+.
Slappy was hard since I didn't have any ranged weapons.

Chinner

Banned
deadrising2otr_2011_10q2ld.png

deadrising2otr_2011_103038.png

AleeN634 said:
I have the PS3 version. The engine is definitely a lot more cleaned up than Dead Rising 2. The colors are brighter and the framerate (excluding Uranus Zone) seems more stable. Excluding the initial load (which is the longest) the load times seem slightly better but are still quite long for the amount of data they install (3.95 gigs).

Thanks for the info, wish I could see some screens of this. So the game doesn't look washed out and the game seems more stable? What about screen tearing, it was by far the most annoying thing.

TheBanditKing said:
Thanks for the info, wish I could see some screens of this. So the game doesn't look washed out and the game seems more stable? What about screen tearing, it was by far the most annoying thing.

Watched some YouTube vids of the PS3 version and the screen-tearing is still there with a vengeance i'm afraid.

AgentOtaku said:
Watched some YouTube vids of the PS3 version and the screen-tearing is still there with a vengeance i'm afraid.

Its hard to tell with youtube as sometimes its not the game that's tearing but the capture equipment used. That said I would not be surprised if it were still an issue, its not like I could honestly expect Blue Castle to take the extra year to optimize the the engine......

B-Dex

So can someone tell me the difference between just hitting A to start a new game ona cleared story save and pushing X for new game +?

As far as I can tell they both do the same thing. Although if you hit X for new game + it gives a warning saying you keep your levels etc... and just hitting A for new game doesn't but you keep everything anyways.....

SmithnCo

I have the PS3 version too and this is definitely improved over vanilla DR2. Still noticing screen tearing but I don't think it's as bad.

Chinner said:
http://www.abload.de/img/deadrising2otr_2011_10q2ld.png[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/deadrising2otr_2011_103038.png[img][/QUOTE]
Poor Katie. :(

Would be cool if she showed up as a zombie.

Digishine

Banned
William Percy Nightstick said:
So I really want to get this.......I have one big question though, does my save from Dead Rising 2 transfer over to Off The Record?

no. it only check if there dr2 save's if so it unlocks a jacket

Digishine

Banned
Sweet. Thanks for all the info man.

Also, did Case West ever come out for PS3? I went to the PS store and did not see it on there....

No those are exclusive on xbox 360 reason is capcom was doing a favor for the original dead rising 1 fan's

I have a copy on the way. I figured this would be awesome to play through with the improvements in load time and other features since I never completed DR2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Rizzo said:
Grab the watergun from inside the toy store. Shooting him with that will stun him.

or just simply
drop kicking him when he's skating makes him fall down and vulnerable for a good few seconds

Digishine

Banned
Ah yes...I do remember hearing that would be the case for those. Were they any good?

The first DLC was good I liked it. The Second one cast west I also liked it gives u some hints where it could go with Dead Rising 3

is this worth getting if i haven't played any dead rising game? i only have the ps3, so i can't play the original (which i hear is the best).

Chinner

Banned
shame you can't play the original because it's brilliant. i'm not sure what version you should choose. OTR's appeal is that it has Frank and the mood of the writing is a bit more darker like the original, but DR2 is still pretty good, although I'm finding OTR way more fun at this point.

more pics:
deadrising2otr_2011_10xuw8.png

deadrising2otr_2011_10wu0q.png

deadrising2otr_2011_109uj6.png

deadrising2otr_2011_104u6v.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't regret buying this after playing DR2 just because all the dialogue Frank has is great

'In the closet? this is mah favorite place to be'

haha the poker part was one of the better and easier parts of the game, loved playing B^)

haha fossil man look alike or did he give his likeness and voice to the game? never looked into it.

should have had devil fish

Chinner

Banned
i dont if its because of frank and the change of mood or because i'm playing this on PC, but i'm enjoying this like a billion more times than dead rising 2.

Must admit once I found out who the new biker boss was, I was totally sold on the game concept. Still unbelievable this version got greenlit, but hilarious event nonetheless!

Orayn

kunonabi said:
Damn, is the game that short?
An individual 3-day cycle doesn't take very long to complete. There are, however, multiple endings and a BUTTLOAD of optional missions along the way. It's definitely not a game that you can fully experience with just one play-through.

Chinner

Banned
there are three days for the main story and each day takes 2 real hours to pass. Factor in cutscenes, and load times the game probably takes about 7 hours to pass. Add in overtime it could be reaching 7-9 hours long.

but thats missing the point, dead rising is about replayability.

Yeah, I've played through the other two countless times. There some of the few games where I can immediately start a new playthrough once I've finished it.

MC Safety

I beat the game today, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I'm very glad Capcom decided to return Frank West to the fore. Chuck Greene was not a very likeable protagonist, despite being designed wholly to be a sympathetic character.

I'm wondering, though, where can I access the costumes I've unlocked? Is there any gameplay functionality for the costumes?

MC Safety said:
I'm wondering, though, where can I access the costumes I've unlocked? Is there any gameplay functionality for the costumes?

Costumes are in the safehouse washroom. There's a locker in there with all the goods.

MC Safety said:
I beat the game today, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I'm very glad Capcom decided to return Frank West to the fore. Chuck Greene was not a very likeable protagonist, despite being designed wholly to be a sympathetic character.

Lockers in the bathroom at the safe house area.

Daigoro

Darkshier said:
So my friend and his brother told me the co-op save glitch is still in, can anyone confirm that? If so, for shame Blue Castle, for shame..

the save glitch thing? what a pain in the ass.

Chinner said:
i dont if its because of frank and the change of mood or because i'm playing this on PC, but i'm enjoying this like a billion more times than dead rising 2.

aw, you had to go and say this didnt ya?

who am i kidding, im going to buy it either way.

Jintor

MC Safety said:

Man, I liked Chuck a great amount. He didn't say a lot and he was very stoic, but he was still a cool guy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chinner said:

Even the 360 version is more enjoyable, I think it's mainly because of the noticeably faster load times, especially in and out of the safe room.

Top Bottom