• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 Review Thread

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dead Rising was my Xbox360 system seller. Enjoyed Dead Rising 2 (played on PS3) even more. Even if it's just the same, Dead Rising 3 (along with Forza) are selling me on the Xbone - of course Netherlands has to wait until next year...

Some said this one is weaker from the series, but we're getting a bigger world with more missions, more objects to interact, etc. I have a hard time to understand what they want.

5 games later, the concept may be running thin for a lot of people. Not me though. Not me...

Im assuming they resolved the framerate issues for these relatively high scores? I thought the game ground along at around 20fps?

danwarb

Im assuming they resolved the framerate issues for these relatively high scores? I thought the game ground along at around 20fps?

Some reviews note a patch resolving the frame rate issues, while others complain about the frame rate issues. It'd be nice to get that cleared up.

Some said this one is weaker from the series, but we're getting a bigger world with more missions, more objects to interact, etc. I have a hard time to understand what they want.

Reviewers have always been a little more forgiving to open world games for whatever reasons. Like this for instance, reviewers are saying it is the weakest in the series and has plenty of bugs one even called it ugly, but still it is a 7-9 game partly because it is open world and there is a lot of ways to kill zombies. It is the same reason Assassin's Creed gets good reviews year after year and why Skyrim can be an unplayable mess and get GOTY. That may not line up with everyone else's personal thoughts though. I personally find most open world games boring, with Saints Row and Infamous being the exceptions.

Edit: Meant to add if this wasn't open world with more missions and objects then reviewers may have docked even more points and followed the trend of more the same reviews games like God of War, Gears of War, Killzone, and Arkham Origins have received of late.

hoos30

Sounds like a game that I would wait on a Steam sale for. Pretty much what I was expecting, dollops of fun here and there, but not worth full price.

I read the text of the reviews the opposite way; fun when you have the freedom to do what you want, but bogged down when you have to fight the bosses. So, more fun than not.

I see some of those reviews bringing up technical issues. Was it ever determined if that DF analysis was the final build? Just curious if the framerate issues were ever ironed out

Don't know if it's already been posted, but:

Gamecentral 7/10

In Short: The best Dead Rising so far and purveyor of some of the most entertainingly absurd weapons in all gaming – just don’t expect any depth or longevity.

Pros: Wonderful outrageous weapon and vehicle combos, and an impressive number of zombies on-screen at once. Lots to see and do and a usefully expanded co-op option.

Cons: The gameplay is still extremely shallow in almost every aspect, and the novelty wears away considerably after a few hours. Prescription-only combo weapons still seem a missed opportunity.

Rev3Games (Tara Long) 3/5

She basically says that while it's fun, it does not advance over its predecessors, feels padded and with some odd design decisions.

Twinduct

Looking forward to the DF to see the performance! Looking forward to this one in my tier 2 country ... eventually when it gets released.

michaelx

Banned
10/10

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/gaming/review-dead-rising-3-is-the-xbox-one-launch-game-you-want/article15484310/

Capcom Vancouver’s gory, over-the-top zombie thriller is a technological masterpiece that amply showcases the power of Microsoft’s new Xbox One console.

This is, in fact, what “next-gen” should be all about. It isn’t just more graphical fidelity – Dead Rising 3 looks great too, to be sure – it’s about games that are more immersive and draw more emotion out of their players.

lol-gif-36.gif

Bobb

oh wow. That is higher than I expected.
I really enjoyed the previous 2 games and hope it sells well.

....urge to buy Xbox One rising....

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds great. Some of the games I end up having the most fun with score in the 7-8 range. The Xbox One launch line up is looking quite solid indeed.

Odrion

Banned
Seems like a good game.
So it's looking like neither next-gen console has a NEED to play game.
But it looks like Xbone is going to have plenty of WANT to play games.

Also not surprised that some people here are being passive aggressive about the good scores the Xbone games are getting. How long until people start accusing EVERY GAME JOURNALIST of being worthless or paid by Microsoft?

Top Bottom