• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 is a 1-year timed exclusive for MS

The whole timed exclusive really doesn't bother me but it just seems so pointless for the dev. A year is so long that I will have lost almost all interest in a title. I know not everyone is like me but I'm sure a good portion of the populace is. Why not just make it a full exclusive.

Kusagari

So it won't go on Steam until next holiday?

This comment could really mean anything. It could be like Tomb Raider where it's on Steam early 2017 and the year wait is for PS4. The year could only mean Steam with no PS4. It could mean both.

Who knows?

Granjinha

No but he can still complain about shitty business practices.

Proof?

Cause that's what happened with 3, and i'm pretty sure some insiders here said that MS was helping with money for the development

no proof tho, but co-publishing means they are putting their money and in DR4 case it seems pretty substantial, in contrast to ROTR

Blanquito

The whole timed exclusive really doesn't bother me but it just seems so pointless for the dev. A year is so long that I will have lost almost all interest in a title. I know not everyone is like me but I'm sure a good portion of the populace is. Why not just make it a full exclusive.

Agreed. Like, who is going to buy Tomb Raider PS4 this holiday when there's all that new stuff coming out and receiving all the marketing money?

The hypocrisy in this forum is incredible.

Sony funds Street Fighter 5 which wouldn't have been made otherwise and it turns out to be an exclusive: "Thank you Sony! They deserve exclusivity for saving the franchise."

Microsoft funds Dead Rising 4 which wouldn't have been made otherwise and it turns out to be an exclusive: "Fuck you Microsoft! This is bullshit!"

I'm pretty sure MS is banking the game so i'm not getting the 'that's shitty comments'. Gotta find something to complain about, i guess.

And i also would bet that this exclusivity means W10 exclusivity and that it's coming to Steam later, just like DR3.
I don't think its funding the development, they are probably just asuming the publishing and marketing, in exchange they have the exclusivity. Makes since capcom finnacial situation is not the best, probably they can affor the marketing and publishing that can be as much expensive as development, especillly if it for the holiday season. Also MS won't advertise a game for it to be sold on other platform, so it makes sense they have a window of exclusivity to make sure theiir investment actually benefits their platform.

Alx

I would have thought that non-Xbox/PC gamers would be happy to have a chance to play the game. One year is not that long.

Garlador

Exactly.

Hey, PS4 systems are flying off the shelf! Tomb Raider has always done best on Playstations!

... and not a peep has been said about Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PS4 this year. No presence at E3. Nothing mentioned at all. It's a year late, old news, and while I'm still probably going to get it, it has no momentum and already feels like a game that's yesterday's news, and it's barely over half a year old.

When you've got new shiny things like Overwatch and Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 and Doom and other great games, it's actually quite amazing how a stunning game like RotTR has no long-lasting presence or impact, despite being such a big deal not that long ago.

That Tomb Raider deal benefited nobody.

This series has been very weird with its platforms, 1st one being on 360 apart from that chop till you drop one on wii, then two was multiplatform, three exclusive and this one timed.

Regardless be picking it up on day one.

Let's not forget that DR2 had an exclusive prologue and the Case West DLC that ps3 never got. They really have given the PS crowd the shaft for this series...

Akronis

Dead Rising 4 is being published by Microsoft in partnership with Capcom

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/d..._by_microsoft_in_partnership_with_capcom.html

So Microsoft gets publishing rights for a year and then Capcom can do what they want with it.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

I would have thought that non-Xbox/PC gamers would be happy to have a chance to play the game. One year is not that long.

Ehhh one year is plenty of time for interest to fizzle out. Using RoTTR as an example, no one has heard anything from it about the PS4 version.

TsuWave

Wait isn't MS throwing their money at it? If that's the case I want SFV for XB1 lol

sony funded SFV. that doesn't seem to be the case with DR4. at their conference all games exclusive to xbox1 and windows were announced as such, DR4 was announced as "coming to xb1 and windows" not "exclusive" like the confirmed exclusives.

that, alongside the 1 year deal info plus this tweet, imo, is pretty much saying its coming to PS4:

tumblr_o8vvnjL3t21r6mcwfo1_540.png

Microsoft funds Dead Rising 4 which wouldn't have been made otherwise and it turns out to be an exclusive: "Fuck you Microsoft! This is bullshit!"

receipts please

Gren

Eh, if the other platform is Steam, that would suck.

Still, a one-year delay is better than me skipping out on this game entirely because of UWP.

Sony funds Street Fighter 5 which wouldn't have been made otherwise and it turns out to be an exclusive: "Thank you Sony! They deserve exclusivity for saving the franchise."

This is how n
Gaf is, it's something you just look at abd the. Exit the thread
Shaking your head

If MS funded this game, there should be no questions asked, straight from the conference Xbox One and Windows 10 "exclusive" like Scalebound/Recore no?

Armadilo

Banned

People just want to play games, man. As long as more people get to eventually play it.
I believe that's good

OKK

You're saying Microsoft funds the actual development for DR4? Source?

It's funny how these dumb fanboy arguments always conveniently ignore Dead Rising 3 and how most people really didn't mind its exclusivity because Microsoft funded development.

The fact that Dead Rising 4 is only timed exclusive this time points to a Tomb Raider style situation where it would've happened otherwise but Microsoft paid to delay the PS4/Steam versions.

Boke1879

Yea. I can't imagine Rise of the TR coming to PS4 is going to make any sort of splash with all the amazing games coming out this fall and quite frankly early next year as well.

I knew something was up when it didn't say Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive.

Kssio_Aug

It's funny how these dumb fanboy arguments always conveniently ignore Dead Rising 3 and how most people really didn't mind its exclusivity because Microsoft funded development.

The fact that Dead Rising 4 is only timed exclusive this time points to a Tomb Raider style situation where it would've happened otherwise but Microsoft paid to delay the PS4/Steam versions.

You know DR3 is available on Steam, right?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They are publishing it, so? Not sure what the problem is. Doesnt look like a moneyhatting.

Granjinha

Would it, though? With Capcom's financial situation? Maybe MS hasn't funded the complete game, but i'm pretty sure they are helping with the development. Besides, the one year window can mean windows store to steam exclusive, not PS4.

I find the contrary (MS paid to delay the game lol) less likely than the first option. And it makes sense, considering the series history with Xbox.

You're saying Microsoft funds the actual development for DR4? Source?

Official PR? Co-publishing meant helping with the actual development in DR3.

Well, seeing as how they can't seem to get their internal development in order, I guess this is the second best option?

Whatever, though. Wasn't DR originally sort of an Xbox thing?

Or, it points to Capcom needing some publishing help. We know they're not doing well right now financially.

Which Neogaf posters are you referring to with this exactly?

I'd appreciate you directing your complaints at those members directly instead of just scattergun shitting on all of us thanks.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
1 years exclusive huh? Can't wait to see what capcom gonna do with it. I wonder if there's a plan to delease it on NX.

harSon

Banned
1 year timed exclusive is so lame. It is just showing that MS has no confidence in the value of the deal.

They're invested within the franchise. It started off as a 360 exclusive. Microsoft bankrolling Dead Rising 3 is the only reason it existed in the first place. They're publishing it this time around. It's not like Microsoft/Capcom pulled exclusivity out of the crevices of their asses. There's an obvious long term partnership in place with respect to the franchise.

Menitta

I've always been bothered by these deals. This doesn't feel like a pro for Microsoft as much as it is a con for Sony. It would be very wise of MS to say this deal isn't timed at all and Sony announces around E3 next year to say it's coming out on PS4. How many PS4 owners are looking at Dead Rising 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider and thinking "I don't want to wait at all. I'll drop $300 just to play it now"?

Top Bottom