• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Game Informer Details [Use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrylic7

now with perks!

but seriously, sometimes you just have to leave games alone. Some things just shouldn't be implemented.
But I haven't seen a stitch of gamelplay soooooooooo whatev.

I'm thrilled that we are getting another Dead Space game. I am not really jazzed about applying a cover-based element to the franchise. However it didn't seem to kill Max Payne 3 so I'll reserve judgment for now. The side-missions and non-linear format could be a nice upgrade over the previous games.

I can't say much for certain because we know very little. However, that hasn't stopped everyone from going all Judge Dredd on the game...

I like change too but not when dumbing down is the change. You're getting a regular old third person shooter with these changes, not a horror game. It's easy as hell to see.

We have a bullet list of new features, nothing more. I understand that complaining about games is your shtick Derrick but it's kind of early for the full review, right?
Perhaps you could at least wait until we have a game play trailer before you conclude the sky is falling, the oceans are boiling and the Dead Space franchise is well, dead.

RiverBed

Banned
I guess you have the PS3, so you should have a Dual Shock 3.

Use this: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Didn't tried it with DS2 but I never had any problem with most games.

I have motionjoy and it switches my DS3 into a 360 pad, but I am told if a PC game doesn't support pads, motionjoy will not work. I looked at the game's options, it didn't mention pad layout. I tried motionjoy anyway, nothing happened.

On the game's Steam page, it doesn't mention controller support either (unlike other games like Renegade Ops). I am a sad panda :(

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I have motionjoy and it switches my DS3 into a 360 pad, but I am told if a PC game doesn't support pads, motionjoy will not work. I looked at the game's options, it didn't mention pad layout. I tried motionjoy anyway, nothing happened.
Did you press the purple "enable"-button after you chose 360-pad emulation? I haven't tried it on DS2 yet, but it works in DS1 and it would be strange if they dropped support for it in the sequel.

Smo21

(

You can map keyboard functions and mouse functions maybe? Not sure if motion joy supports this tho.

rozay

Banned
Dead Space
Dead Space 2

what's the third?
dante's inferno
paris_giggle_31004713.jpg

"Dead Space 3 will have zero gravity space sections,dark corridors,and all the other things that made the series what it is"

Well shit

Eusis

Considering how much crow eating has been going on GAF lately I'm going to reserve judgment until I see something.
A few jokes and some skepticism aside, that's what I've been thinking. Honestly just hearing about them putting in more open areas makes me somewhat optimistic I could like this most of all if I gave it a chance, or at least it's pointedly not falling into the same trap RE5 did (focus more on co-op, subsequently fuck up the adventure aspect beyond salvation.)

Jackl

Have the Romantic Vampires been confirmed yet?

In seriousness looks like they're trying to revamp the series. Hope it doesn't backfire.

RiverBed

Banned
Did you press the purple "enable"-button after you chose 360-pad emulation? I haven't tried it on DS2 yet, but it works in DS1 and it would be strange if they dropped support for it in the sequel.
It works now! It turns out I didn't select 360 emulation. I am a PC noob though I have a kickass PC rig with many top tier Steam games. >_< (but that is due to my techie side).

Another question; so if I had a 360 pad, is it just plug and play (not needing any setups before playing a game)? If that is true, I will buy one because it is easier.

"Dead Space 3 will have zero gravity space sections,dark corridors,and all the other things that made the series what it is"

Well shit
Did you get that right? they said it will have all those things. Signature DS features. why the disappointment?

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Another question; so if I had a 360 pad, is it just plug and play (not needing any setups before playing a game)? If that is true, I will buy one because it is easier.
Depends on the game. DS1+2 is plug and play with the 360 pad, but any pad that is plug and play with the 360 pad should also be plug and play with the motionjoy emulation. It might be better with a 360 pad since the button prompts in-game is for the 360 pad.

RiverBed

Banned
Ah, ok. So does motion joy have an auto start option so I don't have to boot it up and select the option every time I want to use it?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Well, I'd say "fuck you". Visceral's developed two of my favourite games in the current generation. I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they have never let me down. I don't mind the changes because I trust in the company to make a good product for their consumer, ie me. Also, I'd rather wait for substantial information to pass judgment on anything rather than half of GAF which screams silently inside that their favourite franchise has been RUINED FOREVER before playing it or trying it for themselves.

You think it's not possible for someone to be a fan of a franchise and still like something from that franchise that is completely different? Honestly, I don't give a fuck how different they make it as long as it's good. I liked Conviction. It's a fucking fun game. Is it like the old Splinter Cells? No, but you know what, I don't really care, because Conviction is fun.

And what I really hate the most is people like you who say that I can't be a fan of something just because I don't mind change. I don't want the same old stale thing for years on end. I like new, I crave new. I just want good games. That's it. Max Payne 3 threads were filled with this same bullshit and it really, really pisses me off.

Look, I won't try to deny you your opinion. I'm sorry if I come off like that. You're entitled to it. But don't ever say someone isn't a true fan or bullshit to that effect because they are okay with change or because they are excited or because they are optimistic. Fuck your jaded cynical viewpoint if that's the case.

I've got to second this completely. I loved the first game, I loved the second game (except for the
gauntlet at the end
) and I'm really looking forward to the new game. Glad they dropped competitive mp, though I wonder if we'll see ME3-style cooperative mp in DS3 (wouldn't mind this actually - I loved ME3's mp).

Will be buying this day one. :)

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, ok. So does motion joy have an auto start option so I don't have to boot it up and select the option every time I want to use it?
There's an option to run it on startup under "options". You'll still have to press the "enable"-button every time you start/restart the program though.

Did you get that right? they said it will have all those things. Signature DS features. why the disappointment?

I can't imagine playing DS1 & 2 with these new features. Deadspace was a great game because it didn't have them in it. Also, they say that these signature DS features will be in the game. Question is, how much?

A lot of people are going to scoff at this, but I'm one of the very few who really liked Dante's Inferno. A real shame we won't see a sequel.

I thought there was a rumor going around that Visceral was staffing up for a potential DI sequel? It wasn't explicitly named, but it said something like 'Action-Combat genre'

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought there was a rumor going around that Visceral was staffing up for a potential DI sequel? It wasn't explicitly named, but it said something like 'Action-Combat genre'

A very long time ago, yes.

I'm almost entirely positive it was canned though in favor of their new IP.

Montreal is supposedly starting up The Ripper again though to try and get an EA game in that genre.

A very long time ago, yes.

I'm almost entirely positive it was canned though in favor of their new IP.

Montreal is supposedly starting up The Ripper again though to try and get an EA game in that genre.

QCPN0.gif

I would have loved to seen what improvements they could have made on DI2 given a chance. Yeah, the first game was flawed, but there was definite promise.

So The Ripper's a go, then? I remember some concept art a little while back, it was really good, I think. He was a vampire hunter or something, right? The concept art was really neat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I do hope we find out something about the Marker, it's origins, etc. in this game. Has anything really been answered about DS1 and DS2? The story has never really progressed, has it? I want more info on the Marker and its makers. An explanation for the Necromorphs. At this point, I guess we're looking for
Lexine
on that ice planet.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I guarantee all the whiners will change their tone as soon as they see a live demonstration of he game, which has become the norm here at Gaf. Funny people so quick to judge.

Recently fired up DS1 for my third playthrough, needless to say, it still holds up. More Dead Space = awesome. These guys have proven that they can translate the coolness of creepy space movies into great games, and they made #2 incrementally cooler than the first (it was the only game I played all the way through twice, before moving on to something else). They seem to have their shit together, it's worth waiting for more info. Personally I'm day -1; working on a time machine to get around waiting.

mrpeabody

&#8226;They want DS3 to be less linear than 2&1;be able to explore large environments and find "unique beta missions" that aren't required to complete the main game

This is the main thing that was missing from 2 for me. The game was too linear. If they can fix that in 3 I would be the happiest man alive.

&#8226;Now has universal ammo pickups

This is the biggest worry. Removes a layer of resource management, a source of tension, and a reason to try out different weapons.

This is the biggest worry. Removes a layer of resource management, a source of tension, and a reason to try out different weapons.

You're making a few assumptions here. Not sure resource management has been "removed". Everything that you've listed is stuff that I also liked, and maybe miss (?) but I'm not quite ready to make a call on universal ammo. I'm willing to bet that larger gamespaces played a part, as well as more varied enemy types. You'll probably have to move your vast ammo into different guns depending on the situation. It could also be that 38 Pulse rifle rounds will only be 8 plasma cutter rounds, something like that. It just happens to be the same ammo lump graphic.

NinjaBoiX

Universal Ammo?

Why the fuck did they do that? Who the hell asked for that?
Exactly. That was something awesome about the game, managing your ammo, saving your fav gun for bigger encounters, purposely saving expensive ammo to sell for nodes, it was awesome the way it was. And I thought they'd perfected TPS tank controls in DS1, but DS2 took it even further; that game controls nigh on flawlessly for me, why add a cover system?

Urghh, really not sure about this now.

And I thought they'd perfected TPS tank controls in DS1, but DS2 took it even further; that game controls nigh on flawlessly for me, why add a cover system?

Since apparently you'll be battling unitologists with weapons at times, adding a cover system makes sense. I doubt it will be useful against necromorphs. I see no need to worry.

NinjaBoiX

Since apparently you'll be battling unitologists with weapons at times, adding a cover system makes sense. I doubt it will be useful against necromorphs. I see no need to worry.
I suppose I was sceptical about a cover system in Max Payne 3, and that worked out OK. I just hope it doesn't turn into a flat out shooter.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not sure how I feel about universal ammo and Co-op but cover? What the fuck where they thinking? Might as well make it an FPS just to make it less like Dead Space and more like whatever they're going for.

Considering my whole dead space 2 run thu's (after beating first time) was jamming a spinning saw blade into things until they fall appart, cover system sounds so bad.

Really? since when do CoD games have cover systems?

Since CoD4. (CoD2 also featured it, didn't play 3, but I expect the same applies there)

All modern/recent CoD games have featured an unofficial cover system on the higher difficulties, not using cover results in you dying very quickly.

Sp yeah, cover is in there...something everyone who has played them on veteran can confirm.

Fantaz

Banned
I want to know who attends the Dead Space 3 design focus groups? Who is telling them that these design decisions are right? Certainly not the fans of the franchise... time for a 'lil community backlash? >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom