• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Dorrin said:
Enemy encounters just had too many enemies and they were too fast.
Can not agree more. I played through on impossible for both my NG and NG+ runs. It really highlighted the flaws in the game design.

Enemy spawns are too erratic and their speed...far too fast for the DS mechanics to adequetly deal with. The roll is next to useless 9 times out of 10 because the recovery animation leaves you very vunerable for too little ground gained.

I barely used stasis in DS3 because a lot of the time enemies are already in the lunge animation by the time you've seen them (esp. on the higher difficulties). Again - like Stasis - Kinesis is even more superfulous in regards to general combat. I never found myself relying on it like in some of my best momments in DS1&2.

When I was still in the flotilla section, I was finding myself picking up arms and legs and getting pounded by pickaxe's (every necro can spawn a pickaxe, nice imersion building there) before I could find a useable projectile. I soon learned. It's so so dumb, and an obvious way to force the whole 'oh god I need 5 more Tungsten' microtransaction bullshit earlier on in the game.

The speed and spawn rate also pretty much destroys any BFG-style enjoyment I might have had from the new weapon crafting. The underslung force gun (shotgun variant with stasis attachment) was basically my best friend and go-to for the whole game. You need that or, like you said, a rocket launcher with safety gaurd to deal with enemies on the higher difficulties effectively.

deformity

Neo Member
then maybe it's cancelled or future (DLC) content?

there is a spitter in DS3, I find only one of them.
In research lab in chapter 14, when you go across the boardwalk with glasses that leads you to the dark room with feeders (archeology section I guess), there is a spitter coming out form the ceiling. It's a bit unnoticed cause you get swarmed by the black necros

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Which side missions should I avoid to keep from feeling burned out on the game? I'm still in the flotilla right now and I'm liking what I've seen so far but I don't like the sound of repeating environments and padded optional missions.

Replicant

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Which side missions should I avoid to keep from feeling burned out on the game? I'm still in the flotilla right now and I'm liking what I've seen so far but I don't like the sound of repeating environments and padded optional missions.

All of them? Especially "Disposal Services" and "Reaper Baracks". I wish I am kidding but they are really frustrating if you haven't got enough upgrade and the repeated environments just makes you sick of the whole thing.

In which game mode they respect your inventory?

Today I tried the Game +, specting to use my all my materials from my first playtrough to use in classic mode and well what a surprise all my custom weapons and materials are gone.

So I played after you can change your suit and yes, all my armor update are gone too.

Dave1988

In which game mode they respect your inventory?

Today I tried the Game +, specting to use my all my materials from my first playtrough to use in classic mode and well what a surprise all my custom weapons and materials are gone.

So I played after you can change your suit and yes, all my armor update are gone too.

I doesn't work like that. You only unlocked New Game+ for your Standard playthrough. Classic, Pure Survival, and Hardcore modes are counted as separate modes and as such nothing from your standard run carries over.

Completed the game at the weekend.

Some decent parts but on the whole really disapointed, a big drop from the standards of 1 and 2 IMO.

Main criticism and gripes as follows:-
1. First and foremost is the speed of the Necros now - they are so fast it destroys the game balance in most places, Kinesis especially is rendered almost impotent, Stasis in a lot of cases doesn't even take effect until they have already completed a hit animation. Not only that, but it makes the Necros less varied - the Leaper was always hated by me due to it being able to cover a lot of ground quickly, now all the Necros can cover the same ground in the same time, it really detracts from things. As someone else said the Necro Gangbang is getting old now when you tend to get swarmed by numbers and speed.

I just rage quit in Conning Tower mission on Classic playthrough; I wanted to give the game another chance by seeing if classic mode changed anything in terms of the balance; nope, Necros are all fast fuckers, even superspeed Pukers! Puker's were nasty and pissed me off in DS2, but now they can cover a room in a second or two, it's ridiculous.

2. Co-op; for someone like me who fell in love with DS1 due to the isolation, and has no desire to play co-op whatsoever, it's clear to me that a lot of the design changes were implemented to increase the co-op challenge and balance it better, which is fair enough but it lost the feel of the single-player Dead Space; the combat for me was slow and considered; and there isn't much in DS3 that retains that core combat feel.

3. Upgrade system. Weapon Crafting in DS3 is all fine in concept, but it's less Dead Space and more Gears IMO, couple that with cover system stuff, and it's a game that has lost it's sense of identity IMO.

4. Ending
Utterly incoherent, and really disappointing.

5. Overall Narrative.
Poor writing and execution, though to be fair I thought DS2 was similar in the narrative department.

6. Other Nitpicks
Too many QTEs. Part of the 'gotta have a big action set piece' approach.
Too many flying sections, these are so dull. In total contrast to the Zero G sections in DS2, which I loved.
Suit upgrades? What was wrong with having suits dictate inventory slots? Suit changes are now just cosmetic...which is a shame.
Regenerators just walk through engine fire like it's not there? A bit of a retcon this one...
Just nowhere near as polished as one and two - so many more glitches and issues I have found. Again I put the blame on co-op focus.

I've played through Dead Space about 6 times, DS2 3 times, and right now I'm not feeling the desire to go back to DS3 right now, the combat just isn't as much fun as DS1. To be honest, I should have extrapolated, as the last few chapters in DS2 were pushing things in the direction that DS3 has gone (speed, swarming, less consideratiuon... more ACTION!).

With Bioshock Infinite out tomorrow I'm going to leave DS3 for a few months at least, and maybe will come back to Classic mode then.

My current ratings:-
Dead Space = 9.5
Dead Space 2 = 9
Dead Space 3 = 6.5

nel e nel

Ugh, don't feel like sifting through 70+ pages of posts, does anyone have a link to the googly eyed Ellie pic from the shuttle crash sequence?

I doesn't work like that. You only unlocked New Game+ for your Standard playthrough. Classic, Pure Survival, and Hardcore modes are counted as separate modes and as such nothing from your standard run carries over.

So I have to grind the materials and upgrade my weapons all over again? thats sucks

nel e nel

So I have to grind the materials and upgrade my weapons all over again? thats sucks

It may suck on paper, but let me tell you that Pure Survival is the best way to play this game.

Classic mode has all the weapon crafting disabled anyways, since you can only use classic Dead Space weapons that you buy from blueprints.

nel e nel

All of them? Especially "Disposal Services" and "Reaper Baracks". I wish I am kidding but they are really frustrating if you haven't got enough upgrade and the repeated environments just makes you sick of the whole thing.

I definitely agree with Disposal Services - that one is a PITA. But Reaper Barracks is actually fairly short compared to the other ones, and is also one of the few that doesn't re-use the same assets as most of them. It's similar to the basement section where you get your first snow suit.

MrDaravon

I'm still early on; is there any sort of ideal weapon crafting setup? It feels overly complicated to me. Right now I'm using an upgraded version of the starting/classic DS weapon (Planet Cracker version which I apparently got from something arather), and a 2-handed heavy single-shot rifle which I'm only using because I have a Force Gun on the secondary slot which is good for getting people off of me, but that's about it. None of the crafting or weapon stuff feels like it's clicking at all for me.

Edit: Hmm, just made plasma line gun with the force gun as the secondary, this could work for me. I still just have this feeling like I'm doing this wrong though :/

nel e nel

I'm still early on; is there any sort of ideal weapon crafting setup? It feels overly complicated to me. Right now I'm using an upgraded version of the starting/classic DS weapon (Planet Cracker version which I apparently got from something arather), and a 2-handed heavy single-shot rifle which I'm only using because I have a Force Gun on the secondary slot which is good for getting people off of me, but that's about it. None of the crafting or weapon stuff feels like it's clicking at all for me.

Edit: Hmm, just made plasma line gun with the force gun as the secondary, this could work for me. I still just have this feeling like I'm doing this wrong though :/

It doesn't really open up until you get more weapon parts and are able to add upper and lower attachments in addition to higher level circuit boards.

There is a weapon crafting arena from the main menu that let's you go in and play around and test it out on necromorphs. I've spent a couple hours in there getting the hang of the system and trying out various combos.

MrDaravon

It doesn't really open up until you get more weapon parts and are able to add upper and lower attachments in addition to higher level circuit boards.

There is a weapon crafting arena from the main menu that let's you go in and play around and test it out on necromorphs. I've spent a couple hours in there getting the hang of the system and trying out various combos.

Okay, I'll stick it out for a bit. So far though I just can't shake this feeling like I'm doing it wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with the speed of the enemies which I don't seem to be alone on, so that makes me feel a bit better :p.

I'm still early on; is there any sort of ideal weapon crafting setup?

This is all IMO, but the best weapon in the game is the Javelin Gun; essentially the same as the Dead Space 2 Javelin Gun.

Heavy Elite Frame.
Upper Tool: Telemtery Spike
Lower Tool: Electrocution Module

A lot of Necro's are one-shot fodder for this, and is great for crowd control, especially Feeders, it's easy to just prep an area and get multiple Necro's with alt-fire.

However, I can't remember where you get the Electrocution Module, it might be quite far on. In Classic, the Javelin Gun was the 1st weapon I could afford to build, which suited me fine!

voltron

So can anyone tell me if theres any reason to watch, or at least wait until they roll, the credits? Before quitting back to start menu?

I hate waiting for credits to roll then getting nothing for my troubles. Easter egg? Halo-style future game direction cinematic? Anything?

So can anyone tell me if theres any reason to watch, or at least wait until they roll, the credits? Before quitting back to start menu?

I hate waiting for credits to roll then getting nothing for my troubles. Easter egg? Halo-style future game direction cinematic? Anything?

Yes there is, but it's not really woth sitting through IMO (they are long-assed credits!)

Static-filled audio of Isacc trying to contact Ellie...no visuals

At least that was on normal difficulty, not sure on anything else.

I finished this game last night and overall I really loved it. The flaws are there and they're very well documented in this thread so I won't bother bringing them up again, but in spite of that stuff the game was still extremely enjoyable to me. The highlights for me were the environments (Visceral's art team is one of the best in the business, period), crafting system, and story (I know it was flawed but I loved the history of the Tau Volantis. This game has The Thing vibes and that has to count for something, right?).

Overall I would rank the series 1 >2 > 3, but I'm very tempted to say 1 > 2 = 3. 3 feels like one step forward and one step back in many ways.

EA's marketing really failed with this game, in my opinion. Everything I saw about DS3 prior to launch made me less interested in checking it out, but once I finally got around to it I realized there was actually another great Dead Space game waiting for me.

nel e nel

Okay, I'll stick it out for a bit. So far though I just can't shake this feeling like I'm doing it wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with the speed of the enemies which I don't seem to be alone on, so that makes me feel a bit better :p.

Yeah, you really need at least one attachment that is all about crowd control. I know Arthur Gies isn't really well liked around these parts, but I found that I agreed with his assessment of how the weapon crafting can really help to balance out getting swarmed by the AI. Even at lower levels you can craft some pretty powerful weapons that will knock enemies off their feet to give you some breathing room.

Protip: conic dispersal and diffraction torus tips are your friends.

deformity

Neo Member
It's sort of strange seeing how so many post in this thread are talking about the flaws of the game without mentioning the many PLUS DS3 has.
I'm replaying in in pure survival, with a new save slot, so I'm foundign it very hard.

I'm loving it better and better, the same thing happened with DS2.

nel e nel

It's sort of strange seeing how so many post in this thread are talking about the flaws of the game without mentioning the many PLUS DS3 has.
I'm replaying in in pure survival, with a new save slot, so I'm foundign it very hard.

I'm loving it better and better, the same thing happened with DS2.

Yeah, I'm finishing up my 4th(!) and final run on Hardcore right now, and I'd say that Pure Survival was the most fun of all the modes.

K' Dash

Hi GAF, I need help with a little isse with this game, see, I just formatted my PC a few days and I forgot to backup the Origin Saves, I just went to play this and have to start all over again, so, can anyone share a complete save please? I've tried to google them but all fail to load.

If I can't find a save, can I play the DLC without playing the main game? I really don't have time to play this again :(

velociraptor

I think I'm on the final chapter - level 19.

Don't really like this game. I've played it on Solo. It's taken me 17 hours to reach this level and it's felt like game has really dragged on.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were much better experiences.

I'm playing on Hard mode but I was frustrated at certain segments of the game, as well as the bullet sponge enemies.

Also, ugh @ the 2 weapon limit. It's bullshit.

Is the Awakened DLC worth the price or should I skip it? Will I miss anything noteworthy?

.Anema

I'm on chapter 12, 13 hours maybe.
I don't know, i started the game about 1 month ago and, for me, it's a good game but for some reason I'm not satisfied with the experience. I finished Dead Space 1 and 2 in about a week, but this is taking me so much time.
Weird.
I love the crafting system and actually i have fun with the game... Its like a uninspired game overall. Hope it gets better on the next chapters.

Fuck you EA.

Helscream

Banned
I know I am totally late to the party, but I just wrapped on this game a few minutes ago. I had alot of fun with it, but I didn't feel as hyped as when I picked up Dead Space 2. Nor did I feel the horror that Dead Space 1 offered.

If anyone wants to Co-Op on the PS3 send me a friend request. My PSN ID is also Helscream.

GutsOfThor

What an awful game....

I'm hoping that EA really does put this series out of it's misery as it is a shadow of it's former self.

I'm almost tempted to stop playing completely so as not to tarnish my great memories of DS1 and 2.

Edit: It's official this is THE WORST game I've played in 2013. There are no redeemable qualities about it, just pure shit.

Alucrid

Banned
Ugh, a few hours in and enemy spoiler
they bring back the fucking invincible guy. can't they just let that fucker go? and then you end up mowing a hundred of them down during that stupid turret sequence. and the ship atmosphere entry was fucking annoying. and now they decided to put in that stupid cold timer. fuck this game.

Seanspeed

Banned
I started the game up just to see what it was like on my new PC and while I only played past the first few enemies, I must say - this game is damn beautiful.

Didn't find it in the OP

-can you turn off mouse acceleration/smoothing? How? the aiming feels AWFUL
-is there an fov fix? This game has the worst fov I've ever seen, holy shit, it must be like 50 degrees

What happened to that cool visor light effect? I've been playing bits here and there and just noticed that it's gone. This is the pc version

Edit: Hmm...apparently it's just something he turns on at certain points. Kind of weird

I've thought of this before but is it just me or does DS3's story remind me a lot of Halo?

The Necromorphs are very much like Flood. The create Necros by infecting people which also eventually serve as biomass to make Brethren Moons. This is exactly what the Gravemind does.

Linkark07

Banned
So disappointed with this game. It is clear Visceral were trying to force you to play coop with someone. Since that was their objective why they didn't add the other guy controlled by the AI like Sheva in RE5?

Overall it is an ok game, but as a Dead Space sequel it is terrible. Not even once I was scared by this game unlike DS1 and sometimes DS2.

Ghazi

So disappointed with this game. It is clear Visceral were trying to force you to play coop with someone. Since that was their objective why they didn't add the other guy controlled by the AI like Sheva in RE5?

Overall it is an ok game, but as a Dead Space sequel it is terrible. Not even once I was scared by this game unlike DS1 and sometimes DS2.

I thought it was alright, but I regret paying $60 to get this game on launch. I was expecting it to be better than DS2, which I thought was amazing. I can't convince myself to sell DS3 because I paid so much for it, but I can't get myself to play it any more.

I wish they'd stuck to the horror aspect, and forego ed co-op, I've never even used it.

I had to revive this thread to remind everyone of how terrible this game was. And it killed the franchise so we still have no new Dead Space game.

I want a new Dead Space game. Just pretend Dead Space 3 doesn't exist. Try again, EA.

Top Bottom