• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

LiK

Just beat it the other day. It was ok, not better than the first 2 imo.

- Story was boring
- Final boss is horrible
- Awful save system. WTF were they thinking?

7/10

the save system was pretty poor. Inventory and progress saving should be the same damn thing.

Why is there monster drops literally right on top of you? every time a necromorph pops up it's behind me, hugs me and then somehow it one-hit-kill's me when i have at least 60% health. I'm playing on hard because I've heard it's an easy game for dead space fans. I never had this issue on Dead Space 2. Also, I don't really like the weapon crafting, it feels like it was just shoe-horned in to allow for 'micro-transations the game'. Also default suit is no way near as cool as DS2 suit.

It reminds of donkey kong country 64 with all the collecting shit aswel, too much ammo, health, whatever just laying everywhere!

I like the way the visor throws a shadow in dark areas however, nice touch.

malfcn

Finally cracked the seal on this, installing right now. Picked it up on release day, but have been busy.
Wow at the Limited Edition content. Just a couple of skins and crappy weapons? I guess it is better than nothing, but wow at those weasel words.

Really looked forward to this game. Thanks again for the demo code codecow!

Mike M

Nick N
Finally cracked the seal on this, installing right now. Picked it up on release day, but have been busy.

Wow at the Limited Edition content. Just a couple of skins and crappy weapons? I guess it is better than nothing, but wow at those weasel words.

Evangelizer is faaaaaaaaaaaaar from crappy, but yeah, you don't get a lot.

NZNova

Really looked forward to this game. Thanks again for the demo code codecow!

If by "crappy weapon" you mean "the only weapon I used for the whole goddamn game" then yeah. Actually now I think about it that is pretty crappy because there was no point to the whole weapon crafting system when the shotgun just eradicates everything.

malfcn

Little confused on a few things.

When Carver shows up to pick up Isaac, how is he in the bathroom?

And when the mines blow up the shit, was that supposed to be an escape pod?

I thought Ellie and Isaac were kind of a thing.

As someone who was willing to give Visceral the benefit of the doubt based on all the advance negativity, and finally picking it up I'm pretty bummed out after just losing progress 3 times on Conning Tower mission due to the Autosave glitching.

I've made it to the trams Aft Station 3 times after fighting the Hunters and got to Conning Tower and there has definitely been a "Progress Saving" icon flash up, yet every time I end up back in the corridor just before the Hunter battle on the previous Chapter.

So infuriating, and I don't see what was so wrong with the old Save System? If it ain't broke don't break it!

After searching on the net it seems like optional missions will not save progress at all? Can anyone confirm? I get little enough time to game these days as it is, losing progress is really painful, and having to put aside 2 or 3 hours just to get past a section is just really poor on the devs part, sorry CodeCow and co, but at least in DS1 and 2 if I had to stop playing I could at least choose to locate a Save Station and knwo that I would start exactly where I left off on next playthrough.

It's so unintuitive, Save and Quit should save at the last checkpoint; I've checked just there and after getting past the Hunter battle, Checkpoint restart does not take me back to that bit, so why would Save & Quit?

It's a shame, because after a VERY poor start, it was starting to get back to feeling like Dead Space again, but this is really annoying.

Anyway, that aside as I said I thought things started poorly, the prologue was all style no substance, and the 'gears' style cover shooting left me feeling like I wasn't playing Dead Space at all.

Thankfully it picked up in Chapter 2, and I was starting to enjoy things, although I really don't like some of the changes:-
Although Weapon Crafting and the 'sandbox' weapon idea is fine in principle, I think in practice and execution it falls short of DS1 and DS2, for the following reasons:-
1. Power Nodes and Individual Weapon Upgrade paths. I really miss these from previous games, and think that the individual upgrade circuits are a poor substitute
2. Universal Ammo - I understand why it had to be done to support the crafting system, but it just feels off; I know the other resources replace the ammo, but it just doesn't work for me.
3. If you are not playing co-op then a fair amount of the buffs from attachments are pointless.

I do like the Scavenger Bot though. I think the Weapon Crafting combined with the Power Node system would have been better, and Universal Ammo just bothers me, it feels like it removes the largest aspect of inventory management from the previous games.

Anyway, I'm going to start from the beginning again and pay much more attention to the Autosaves - I've read that Save and Quit directly after these can reduce the glitching.

EDIT -Just catching up on this thread see I'm not the only one hating on the Autosave System
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49020093&postcount=3545

Glad it's not just me!

malfcn

I posted on their Facebook, but codecow..make this happen!
Whipped this up roughly in an image editor, and I would buy this!

CfXd3dx.png

voltron

So I get nothing for selling peng in ds3? What bull shite. Seriously....

The VERY least they coulda done us give u 60 ration seals. Not that I need any more of anything. But still a token gesture would have been appreciated.

As someone who was willing to give Visceral the benefit of the doubt based on all the advance negativity, and finally picking it up I'm pretty bummed out after just losing progress 3 times on Conning Tower mission due to the Autosave glitching.

I've made it to the trams Aft Station 3 times after fighting the Hunters and got to Conning Tower and there has definitely been a "Progress Saving" icon flash up, yet every time I end up back in the corridor just before the Hunter battle on the previous Chapter.

So infuriating, and I don't see what was so wrong with the old Save System? If it ain't broke don't break it!

After searching on the net it seems like optional missions will not save progress at all? Can anyone confirm? I get little enough time to game these days as it is, losing progress is really painful, and having to put aside 2 or 3 hours just to get past a section is just really poor on the devs part, sorry CodeCow and co, but at least in DS1 and 2 if I had to stop playing I could at least choose to locate a Save Station and knwo that I would start exactly where I left off on next playthrough.

It's so unintuitive, Save and Quit should save at the last checkpoint; I've checked just there and after getting past the Hunter battle, Checkpoint restart does not take me back to that bit, so why would Save & Quit?

It's a shame, because after a VERY poor start, it was starting to get back to feeling like Dead Space again, but this is really annoying.

Anyway, that aside as I said I thought things started poorly, the prologue was all style no substance, and the 'gears' style cover shooting left me feeling like I wasn't playing Dead Space at all.

Thankfully it picked up in Chapter 2, and I was starting to enjoy things, although I really don't like some of the changes:-
Although Weapon Crafting and the 'sandbox' weapon idea is fine in principle, I think in practice and execution it falls short of DS1 and DS2, for the following reasons:-
1. Power Nodes and Individual Weapon Upgrade paths. I really miss these from previous games, and think that the individual upgrade circuits are a poor substitute
2. Universal Ammo - I understand why it had to be done to support the crafting system, but it just feels off; I know the other resources replace the ammo, but it just doesn't work for me.
3. If you are not playing co-op then a fair amount of the buffs from attachments are pointless.

I do like the Scavenger Bot though. I think the Weapon Crafting combined with the Power Node system would have been better, and Universal Ammo just bothers me, it feels like it removes the largest aspect of inventory management from the previous games.

Anyway, I'm going to start from the beginning again and pay much more attention to the Autosaves - I've read that Save and Quit directly after these can reduce the glitching.

EDIT -Just catching up on this thread see I'm not the only one hating on the Autosave System
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49020093&postcount=3545

Glad it's not just me!

It's definitely not just you, I think pretty much everyone thinks this game's save system is garbage. I love the game and think the save system is horrendous. :p

malfcn

I have only had minor save issues. One or two was because I quit during a scene, and it fast-forwarded me to the next area.

I don't understand the loading options.
Load from save,
Load the story
Whenever I load either, it is the same place.

I have only had minor save issues. One or two was because I quit during a scene, and it fast-forwarded me to the next area.

I don't understand the loading options.
Load from save,
Load the story
Whenever I load either, it is the same place.

If you choose to go back and play an earlier chapter either in single-player or co-op when you return Load from Save will load the last checkpoint, choosing to continue the story will instead load the latest point you've reached in the story.

malfcn

If you choose to go back and play an earlier chapter either in single-player or co-op when you return Load from Save will load the last checkpoint, choosing to continue the story will instead load the latest point you've reached in the story.

Aha, thanks for the clarification. This is my first run through, and I don't have a buddy.
Also kind of wish I started on Impossible. Playing on Hard and have my entire inventory full of health, and hundreds of rounds of ammo.

voltron

Exactly. Its rather a convenient option IMO. A game that lends itself to going back and messin' about in earlier levels, further encouraged by the persistence of your inventory, the continue from story option is a cool feature.

malfcn

Recovered a shuttle. I never saw it launch, where did it go? I know it is supposed to go to a docking bay, but I didn't see it launch or how it got there..guess I just need to keep playing.

Nemesis_

Is there a separate thread for the DLC or something? Just finished it and intrigued nobody is talking about it.

It's rather short.

Regrettably I ignored this game at launch, but last week I picked it up for ~$40 and played through it. Yeah, it's still Dead Space, and it's awesome. I still don't think co-op needs to be in this game, and the microtransactions are pretty sleazy, but for the most part I was able to ignore all of that and enjoy the game. I think despite the push towards mass-market appeal Visceral was still able to persevere and make an awesome game. That studio has some serious talent.

It's not perfect - the save system is bonkers, unified ammo, and the relationships between some of the characters are totally annoying and out of place - but it's still great overall.

Loved it. Still fuck you EA.

Plissken

Played through Awakening tonight in co-op. I really enjoyed the interactions between Carver and Isaac, the story is creepy as hell (and pretty much required if you're into the lore of the series; it sets up DS4 quite nicely). However I was disappointed there weren't any new weapons, and it's rather short (we finished in about an hour, hour and a half tops). Still I think it was worth the $10, YMMV though, depending on how big a DS fan you are.

Man, sometimes its tough to win in this business.
Fans are like necromorphs. With each passing game they come at you faster and more aggressively. Good humor is your stasis, but I'm not sure it's enough to manage the never ending hoarde being turned to madness by the marker known as the wonky new save system.

Minamu

Fans are like necromorphs. With each passing game they come at you faster and more aggressively. Good humor is your stasis, but I'm not sure it's enough to manage the never ending hoarde being turned to madness by the marker known as the wonky new save system.
That has got to be the most eloquently put thinly veiled hate I've seen on gaf :lol

That has got to be the most eloquently put thinly veiled hate I've seen on gaf :lol
Hey now, I own to being vocally critical, but I don't actually hate anything. I'm just terrible at concealing disapointment. I'm sure the team has thicker skin than an enhanced necromorph at this point.

Minamu

Hey now, I own to being vocally critical, but I don't actually hate anything. I'm just terrible at concealing disapointment. I'm sure the team has thicker skin than an enhanced necromorph at this point.
Yeah I know how you feel. The save system had a negative impact on my enjoyment as well. I agree with the thick skin piece for sure. I haven't experienced it on such a scale yet but I hope to one day (graduation in a couple of months woot!).

Can't get myself to finish it. I've played co-op one or two weeks ago and now i can't get back and play it. Dead Space 2 is really amazing but this game... Average at best.

Mike M

Nick N
On a lark, I picked up the strategy guide to leaf through.

Under enemies, it had a "spitter" that I didn't recognize at all. Where on earth was that in the game?

Just started it a few days ago and am up to Chapter 5 and have lost progress twice of about 20 min of gameplay because of the awful maybe worst designed new save and checkpoint system. I can only hope that this system is never in any game again because of how poor it is. Yes checkpoint systems are nothing new in games but this is stupid how bad it is in this game. Maybe a patch will fix it someday but that's doubtful by now and since I've seen no one mention a patch about it, it probably won't happen.

I was under the impression visceral games read neogaf has there been any response to this awful system and how broken it is????

raindoc

i got "Awakened" and while i really like DS3, i regret buying this DLC:
for 10 € you get maybe an hour and a half of gameplay in locations that are more of the same and there's too fucking many of these annoying "rushing horde"-encounters that i hate so much.

On a lark, I picked up the strategy guide to leaf through.

Under enemies, it had a "spitter" that I didn't recognize at all. Where on earth was that in the game?

the guys that spit acid at you? they are pretty common.

Mike M

Nick N
the guys that spit acid at you? they are pretty common.

Nah, not Pukers. This thing kind of looked like a Slasher, only the human head was maybe chest level and it had a second, larger inhuman head on top. From the description, it sounds like it spit explosive projectiles or something. DS1 and 2 had something similar, but they looked completely different.

Minamu

Nah, not Pukers. This thing kind of looked like a Slasher, only the human head was maybe chest level and it had a second, larger inhuman head on top. From the description, it sounds like it spit explosive projectiles or something. DS1 and 2 had something similar, but they looked completely different.
Can you google a picture or anything? Might be a cancelled enemy type. Two vomit like projectile enemies seems superfluous.

raindoc

then maybe it's cancelled or future (DLC) content?

Dorrin

I finished this up last night and thought I'd leave some thoughts.

1) One of my biggest concerns was the micro transactions and crafting being put into this game. I will admit I felt the first half of the game was sort of pushing me towards them by the end of the game I had plenty of resources deploying three bots whenever I could that crafting whatever I wanted. I still think it will be a problem for future EA games but for this one it was alright.

2) Game length was fine but the side missions got old and although they are optional my OCD made me complete them, I liked their story elements but the environments getting reused got old.

3) Enemy encounters just had too many enemies and they were too fast. This trend started towards the end of Dead Space 2 and just continued with part 3. I complained about this earlier when I had just made it through the first sections of the game but it really is annoying. The way the encounters came about really reward constructing cheesy weapon tactics.. ie grenade launcher/ rocket launcher combo with safety guard. I used that and Chain gun/ shotgun most of the game. I miss the old Dead Space 1 type encounters, they just felt more tense and less unload as fast as possible. I just like that feel from the first game, tactically dismembering a guy using TK on a limb etc. Instead on part 3 it is. "Here comes 3 dark fast mobs!" "Ow here come two more behind you!" *fires rocket launcher at feet.

4) Saving issues I never had a problem with this, basically the rule is don't quit unless you have just seen a 'saving progress' message. Side missions must be completed before saving an quitting or you are screwed. I've always been careful and never got burned but I get how it would impact others, it is a wonky save system and should have been better particularly on the side missions.

Bollocks

Am I crazy or is the game easier in Pure Survival mode?
I finished it on normal and so far (chapter 10) everything feels way easier, despite being set on hard and no item drops

The
Regenerator in the shipping container
was a cool moment, I hate fighting those things!

Glad I put the game on hard though, feels just like normal in DS1&2.

malfcn

What is with some of the AI? If I walk back through a door or stand on an elevator the enemies just hang out and stop moving.

Played and finished the DLC, I enjoyed every part of it.

Especially, and I assume you will get the most out of this section in coop...

The part near the end, where the light goes off and you're fighting 'each other', that was just crazy freaky.

SalomonA

Do I need to play the first 2 games to somewhat get a grip of the story? I have played the first one for like 7-8 hours, but those hours didn't really tell me much storywise.

Mike M

Nick N
Do I need to play the first 2 games to somewhat get a grip of the story? I have played the first one for like 7-8 hours, but those hours didn't really tell me much storywise.
There's a recap at the start of 3 to catch everyone up.

It does its best to make a pretty cool mythos sound dumb as shit : /

malfcn

Holy shit at the Blue dispersal room. That room was no joke. I started the game with an inventory full of ammo and health and cruised. The game difficulty has picked up, and specifically the room. I now have almost no health or ammo after that optional mission.

And I don't know how, but I am at 28 hours with 65%? Wut.

Top Bottom