• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

deformity

Neo Member
DS3 for me is a strong entry in the series, as well as the deepest and most ambitious game form VIsceral.
I love the explanation and the lovecraftian horror implemented ( I noticed also some half life 2 influences in the beginning and in the end of the game), I love the settings (tau volantis is solid and intrguing as the Ishimura and Titan were) and they kept their strong horror roots alive, with the gameplay who works at its best. The narrative is strong, aside some minor complains (some charchters)
I love the audiologs and texlogs that I found the more interesting of the series ,and the idea of side mission works extremely well with their backstories and sub plot.
Visceral kept the quality on all his Dead Space series, hope to see the necromorph back in next gen.
for me is a strong 9/10 and also a bit more

Maxxan

I haven't looked through the majority of this thread as I'm on the sensitive side when it comes to spoilers :p

I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick pros and cons for playing this alone or in coop, keeping in mind that I only intend to play through the game once.

I haven't looked through the majority of this thread as I'm on the sensitive side when it comes to spoilers :p

I'm wondering if anyone could give me a quick pros and cons for playing this alone or in coop, keeping in mind that I only intend to play through the game once.

You'll get the most out of it in coop in that case, there are certain mission restricted to coop play.

A lot of the cutscenes make more sense in a coop environment as well.

Mike M

Nick N

Play through on Single Player, do chapter select to play as Carver on the three co-op only missions (Won't take long).

Maxxan

You'll get the most out of it in coop in that case, there are certain mission restricted to coop play.

A lot of the cutscenes make more sense in a coop environment as well.

Play through on Single Player, do chapter select to play as Carver on the three co-op only missions (Won't take long).

Thanks :) I guess I'm wondering whether coop makes it a genuinely better game, like it did to RE5

Facism

i need a coop partner for the brusilov, chapter 4 impossible on PC

not tonight though. Sorry i'll ask again tomorrow :d pm for my username if you want a coop partner anytime.

Game really surprised me. Thought it was going to be a shitfeast trainwreck and turned out to be MOAAARRR deadspace with great weapon funtime explosion!

Mike M

Nick N
Thanks :) I guess I'm wondering whether coop makes it a genuinely better game, like it did to RE5
It makes it a different game, whether it's worse or better is dependent on what you're looking to get out of it. Playing as Carver for the co-op missions is more old-school Dead Space than playing as Issac, oddly enough. The rest of the time though, it definitely neuters whatever fear the game would otherwise attempt to cultivate.

Nekuru

What the hell is wrong with Dead Space 3 save system? This is the 3rd time that I have to replay hours of gameplay after saving and quit. I understand that it saves the inventory when I do that but I've gone through many check points and progress saved. In one instance it even took me back a full chapter 0_o.

Replicant

What the hell is wrong with Dead Space 3 save system? This is the 3rd time that I have to replay hours of gameplay after saving and quit. I understand that it saves the inventory when I do that but I've gone through many check points and progress saved. In one instance it even took me back a full chapter 0_o.

Sub-mission? You need to do the entire sub-mission in one go or it won't save at all. Yeah, it's fucked up I know.

If it's not sub-mission, you need to be aware that check points are not necessarily saved. It just check points you while you're still playing. You need to reach the "Progress saved" moment (indicated by the top right hand icon) for the game to save properly. Although I have myself experienced cases where I ended up doing the entire chapter again after saving at a progress saved area because I did a MP afterwards.

At any rate, I really really detest this save system and would like to see it gone in next iterations of DS games. If there's next iterations.

Nekuru

Sub-mission? You need to do the entire sub-mission in one go or it won't save at all. Yeah, it's fucked up I know.

If it's not sub-mission, you need to be aware that check points are not necessarily saved. It just check points you while you're still playing. You need to reach the "Progress saved" moment (indicated by the top right hand icon) for the game to save properly. Although I have myself experienced cases where I ended up doing the entire chapter again after saving at a progress saved area because I did a MP afterwards.

At any rate, I really really detest this save system and would like to see it gone in next iterations of DS games. If there's next iterations.

Bummer! I guess I am done with this for tonight. Thanks for your answer.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished the game on hard and I have hard time describing how disappointed I am with this game overall. Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite gaming experiences this gen and I think I've finished that game 5 or 6 times. With the third installation I had hard time finishing even the first run. Noway I'm even going to begin hardcore run.

My biggest gripe is that the balance is all over the place. Dead Space 2, although challenging, never felt cheap. Whereas Dead Space 3 is constantly pouring monster closets at you with little to no room to maneuver which in turn just isn't fun.

What happened? Did the creative team change that much between DS2 or DS3 or did they just run out of ideas?

Finished the game two days ago....

To go from a fantastic great game that DS2 was to this is a HUGE let down and disappointment :\

The settings are the most boring in the series, the memorable moments are non existence... and why the hell they tried to mix it with action?

DS2 >>> DS1 >>> DS3.

Bollocks

What?
I just finished it myself 2 days ago too, how can you say that the setting is one of the most boring in the series?
Especially the ending, dat setting.
The setting is as dead space esque as can be.

NZNova

Just quietly, fuck the save system in this game up the ass with a rusty razor blade.

I LOVE replaying the last 20 minutes every time I reload a game!

Hesemonni

Banned
What?
I just finished it myself 2 days ago too, how can you say that the setting is one of the most boring in the series?
Especially the ending, dat setting.
The setting is as dead space esque as can be.
There was nothing really wrong with the ending setting per se. It's just the build up for the ending had been droning on for a better half a game and the horrible characterization and writing undermined any attempted emotional impact. The ending sequence was bland and boring. I did it on hard using the regular cutter and just using the stasis when the little buggers came at you. Didn't die even once and I can't even remember trying to dodge the projectiles thrown at you. Overall the ending sucked.

Actually, the ending credits were fuck awesome because of the Pelican song playing in the background...

Anyway, I haven't really paid any attention how the game does saleswise, but I'm guessing it'll bomb and bring down Visceral games with it. Which is a shame really. One of my favorite new IPs this gen.

Facism

Is anyone interested in doing a run on the brusilov @ impossible difficulty on the PC? Can't find a fucking soul to do this with.

Anyone have AA bits for Dead Space 3 that don't make the shadows go bonkers in certain scenes? I've looked everywhere and I can just find one hex (0x004012C1), and yeah, it fucks up the shadows.

raindoc

hardcore mode.
after watching the cutscene leading up to the final confrontation in the game, my character glitched/fell through the floor before i even regained controls.
permadeath.

eMPLjF7.jpg

I really enjoyed Hardcore in DS2 but the borked save feature in 3 makes this really un-appealing.

@Raindoc: Fuuuck...

@As far as the game goes I pretty much agree with Replicant. As a huge fan of the universe I felt that 3 was a step backwards in several ways and really shit on a lot of the story elements set up in 1 and 2.

hardcore mode.
after watching the cutscene leading up to the final confrontation in the game, my character glitched/fell through the floor before i even regained controls.
permadeath.

eMPLjF7.jpg

That's why I'm not even going to bother with hardcore. Chapter 8 on normal and my character got stuck on some kind of box and I couldn't even raise my gun. Just kept getting attacked until I died. No point playing a game mode like that if the game is full of glitches.

raindoc

I won't touch hardcore without Devil Horns and save backups. I don't care :)

you can't use the devil horns in hardcore.* but you can use the dlc weapon (parts), making the game a walk in the park (except for the last part of chapter 15 -
those two guys that spam you with rockets, while necromorphs are rushing you? fuck them!
).
and i surely will use a thumb drive too, if i ever try it again. right now i can't even look at the game.
it's a shame. i (ps3) usually don't care about getting all trophies, but i really enjoy playing dead space 3 and wanted to get the platin. now "Aren't you thankful" is the only trophy missing, because of a stupid glitch.

*i just googled it and read that by going back to 1.00 it is actually possible to carry them over? jesus christ.

Elginer

Picked this up last week and am already selling it. I loved. LOVED THE HELL out of DS and DS2 was amazing. DS3 is a pain in the ass to play. The horror is gone and it's nothing but monster closets in tight spaces and fetch quests galore. Just not feeling it at all, which bugs me as I thought after DS2 the series has some awesome places it could go.

Just saw an announcement on the official DS FB that details on the DS3 DLC is coming soon. Apparently, a new Necromorph is being introduced.

6rjiz0P.jpg

Salz01

Finished this over the weekend. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as DS2. At the end I kept wanting to be done with it. Half the time I didn't know what the hell was going on, nor did I care. The suits look were a let down. How can you go from the awesome suits of 2, to the ones in 3. As of right now I don't see myself replaying it. I replayed 2 a few times, and will always keep it in my library. 3 will be traded.

Mike M

Nick N
Just saw an announcement on the official DS FB that details on the DS3 DLC is coming soon. Apparently, a new Necromorph is being introduced.

6rjiz0P.jpg
Hmmmm... Ending spoilers ahoy.

Either that's not Isaac and this is something that occurs prior to the ending, or this is going to feature the worst deus ex machina ever. Even putting aside that Isaac was at ground zero for a planetary collision and survived somehow, the moon crashing into the surface would be incalculable in its devestation to the entire planet. Granted a moon made of flesh is less dense than one made of rocks and minerals, but that is a shit ton of mass regardless. I find it unthinkable that crates and necromorphs would be left.

Either that's not Isaac and this is something that occurs prior to the ending, or this is going to feature the worst deus ex machina ever. Even putting aside that Isaac was at ground zero for a planetary collision and survived somehow, the moon crashing into the surface would be incalculable in its devestation to the entire planet. Granted a moon made of flesh is less dense than one made of rocks and minerals, but that is a shit ton of mass regardless. I find it unthinkable that crates and necromorphs would be left.
Well there was the DLC leak earlier in the thread
that apparently the DLC involves Clarke and Carver escaping the planet and getting aboard the Terra Nova where a group of fanatical Unitologists lie in wait.

What if it's
a dying dream?

TWIST!

Mike M

Nick N
Well there was the DLC leak earlier in the thread
that apparently the DLC involves Clarke and Carver escaping the planet and getting aboard the Terra Nova where a group of fanatical Unitologists lie in wait.

Saw that, but this is definitely not the form I would have expected such a plot to take.
Would have pegged them as getting picked by a shuttle in free fall or something. They fell from the moon! The fucking moon! I mean it was in the planet's atmosphere at the time, but c'mon!

That's a looooot of hand waving...

Saw that, but this is definitely not the form I would have expected such a plot to take.
Would have pegged them as getting picked by a shuttle in free fall or something. They fell from the moon! The fucking moon! I mean it was in the planet's atmosphere at the time, but c'mon!

That's a looooot of hand waving...

Well... their suits do have rockets on them.

@MikeM: If anything the DLC allows some leeway to brush over the damp squib that was DS3. I would be happy if
Issac escapes and then Visceral are free to retcon the whole EarthGov/Unitology war in any potential sequel

Finished this over the weekend. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as DS2. At the end I kept wanting to be done with it. Half the time I didn't know what the hell was going on, nor did I care. The suits look were a let down. How can you go from the awesome suits of 2, to the ones in 3. As of right now I don't see myself replaying it. I replayed 2 a few times, and will always keep it in my library. 3 will be traded.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with the suit designs as well, what a downgrade. I'll definitely replay on classic.

Replicant

hardcore mode.
permadeath.

OMG NOOOOO. I'd push a magazine rack for sure if that were to happen to me.

The suits look were a let down. How can you go from the awesome suits of 2, to the ones in 3. As of right now I don't see myself replaying it. I replayed 2 a few times, and will always keep it in my library. 3 will be traded.

Yeah, the suits are massive downgrade. So fugly and most of them look like just color/texture palette swap of each other. I just keep reusing the N7 suit since that's the only one that looks different from the rest of them (and so fitting
with the ending
). The classic suit is okay but I really like the DS2 suit.

I'm not excited about hardcore either. Not with this save method. And maybe I'm just getting busier and busier but 4 playthroughs just to platinum the game seem a bit too much to me. I know EA doesn't want you to sell the game but this is a ridiculous attempt to stop you from doing so. Not to mention all of the ridiculous MP-related trophies like the medic ones.

I did pinged the Space Ace and Drill Sergeant ones as annoying as they were but the rest just look too grindy for my taste.

@MikeM: If anything the DLC allows some leeway to brush over the damp squib that was DS3. I would be happy if
Issac escapes and then Visceral are free to retcon the whole EarthGov/Unitology war in any potential sequel

Pretty much my thoughts.

On a more positive note, I love the Mexico Steelbook I got for DS3. If only DS2 came with a Steelbook since it's the more superior game. On that note, I don't understand how the Steelbook distribution for this game is so localized to few countries (Canada, Mexico) and the rest of us got shitty normal packaging.

F1sVvIr.jpg

I've been having trouble even mustering the interest to play this (still on chapter 5). Between the terrible save system, the unnecessarily convoluted crafting system, and especially the obnoxious way every fucking enemy just kinda bum rushes you it's tough to stay motivated. Not to mention the dialogue might as well be nails on a chalk board as far as my tastes are concerned.

Seems like a lot of people who were disapointed with this really loved DS2, which is interesting because I thought the writing was already on the wall what direction the franchise was headed by the end of that game. DS1 was great because it miraculously avoided a lot of the more irritating trends this generation, while by contrast 2 went out of its way to try them all on for size. The original game seems to be the only Dead Space to grasp that sometimes less is more. Improved combat mechanics and visual fidelity aside (which were genuinely great btw) I found DS2 to be a step backwards from the first game across the board, and for a lot of the same reasons why DS2 fans are now finding DS3 a tough pill to swallow. Not that DS2 was a "bad" game by a long shot, but the potential being pissed away was clear as the spectral menace of Issac's dead GF starts talking your ear off and all traces of suspense and atmosphere building give way for wave upon wave of prolonged necromorph gangbangs. I don't think it's coincidence that many people's favorite chapter was the Ishimura, which was basically a bid for nostalgia, and a reminder why DS1 was so much smarter and more atmospheric.

Visceral should thank their lucky stars for the art team, because their creative vision is the last vestige making the franchise compelling against a backdrop of increasingly poor gameplay decisions and painfully hamfisted storytelling. I'm trying to hold out hope that the series can evaluate and revisit some core ideas that were lost along the way, or that some of the criticisms of DS3 will have a positive impact on the direction of the next game (assuming we get one), but after the empty assurances that preceded DS2 and DS3 I can't help but feel skeptical.

Replicant

Seems like a lot of people who were disapointed with this really loved DS2, which is interesting because I thought the writing was already on the wall what direction the franchise was headed by the end of that game.

To be fair, many people did complaint about the ridiculous spike in the game's difficulty at the end of DS2, especially Chapter 13 and forward. But it seems no one at Visceral read the complaint or worse, took it seriously. And personally, I thought that was just upping the stakes towards the end of the game not a vision of future DS gameplay in general. I don't think anyone thought they'll be swamped with enemies from start to finish. Completely destroying whatever tension they could have build for the finale.

In general, however, DS2 was hard but also not ridiculously unbalanced unlike this game. You had more time to think of your strategy to dismember. The set pieces were beautiful. And the suits were 10 times better than what we got here in DS3. Not to mention the ending was perfect and not the clusterfuck that is DS3's ending.

Gassey

Banned
I've been having trouble even mustering the interest to play this (still on chapter 5). Between the terrible save system, the unnecessarily convoluted crafting system, and especially the obnoxious way every fucking enemy just kinda bum rushes you it's tough to stay motivated. Not to mention the dialogue might as well be nails on a chalk board as far as my tastes are concerned.

Seems like a lot of people who were disapointed with this really loved DS2, which is interesting because I thought the writing was already on the wall what direction the franchise was headed by the end of that game. DS1 was great because it miraculously avoided a lot of the more irritating trends this generation, while by contrast 2 went out of its way to try them all on for size. The original game seems to be the only Dead Space to grasp that sometimes less is more. Improved combat mechanics and visual fidelity aside (which were genuinely great btw) I found DS2 to be a step backwards from the first game across the board, and for a lot of the same reasons why DS2 fans are now finding DS3 a tough pill to swallow. Not that DS2 was a "bad" game by a long shot, but the potential being pissed away was clear as the spectral menace of Issac's dead GF starts talking your ear off and all traces of suspense and atmosphere building give way for wave upon wave of prolonged necromorph gangbangs. I don't think it's coincidence that many people's favorite chapter was the Ishimura, which was basically a bid for nostalgia, and a reminder why DS1 was so much smarter and more atmospheric.

Visceral should thank their lucky stars for the art team, because their creative vision is the last vestige making the franchise compelling against a backdrop of increasingly poor gameplay decisions and painfully hamfisted storytelling. I'm trying to hold out hope that the series can evaluate and revisit some core ideas that were lost along the way, or that some of the criticisms of DS3 will have a positive impact on the direction of the next game (assuming we get one), but after the empty assurances that preceded DS2 and DS3 I can't help but feel skeptical.

You read my mind. I'm about to quit at exactly where you're up to. AAAA? LOL.

Dead Space 2 did very little for me, I didn't even get through it. But Dead Space 1 was a joy.

Real Space. Real Terror. RIP.

Minamu

Ending & dlc spoiler:
But the "secret" ending already confirms that Isaac survived the game so I don't see the problem.

And yes, if you delete the patch, all kinds of funny things can be done (I don't really care about prestige anymore).

Carnby

There is so much about DS3 that absolutely sucks. Crickey, even the game over death scenes suck in comparison to the others.

Maddness

I'm online between the hours of 6pm-11pm. PC only though. I don't have it for any of the consoles.

Thanks for asking. Also, everyone always typos my name.

Just beat it the other day. It was ok, not better than the first 2 imo.

- Story was boring
- Final boss is horrible
- Awful save system. WTF were they thinking?

7/10

Replicant

schwabdizzle said:
I have issues with saving on this game. If I do a save and quit it takes me back 20 minutes in the game......so fucking annoying.
Then there's the save system. Oh, the save system. Remember when we were reassured the co-op wouldn't affect the single player experience? Total BS. I don't need to say more about this. A quick glance through the thread shows that pretty much everyone agrees it's ass backwards and a downgrade. It's boggles the mind that this made it all the way through development. It actually keeps me from playing the game when I'm on a tight leash, because I can't just run back to a save station if I have to quit on short notice.
Splatt said:
I have to mention, the biggest problem for me, is the save system. It's bullshit. I stopped doing sidequests when I realised I had to do them in one go. Checkpoints are also badly placed.
* FAIL auto save. It's far and few actually. And it occurs in the weirdest places of all and hardly obvious. So if you quit halfway through a chapter before reaching an auto-save point, you'll be screwed and have to repeat the entire chapter again.
First time in here since the release! I'm at chapter 14 now and I'm wondering exactly how the saving system works? Does it truly only save my progress whenever it says "progress saving"? It seems a bit odd that I have to complete an optional mission in one sitting for it to save properly but I haven't died yet and turned it off after so I don't know what would happen. I got teleported back a few meters during my very first save and had to watch a cutscene unfold again. Seems rather clumsy tbh :( So I've been playing it in chunks and only turn it off after I've seen a save happen (which means I could be stuck for what feels like hours on end, tying up my life considerably).
-the savepoints are too few and far between. having to turn off the system to go out and not remembering when the last autosave was has me repeating a lot of stuff when i get back to the game
Someone should be fired over this.

The fact that they implemented this because some players would come up with a work around? That's as stupid a reason as you can get...unless by doing it, players could also make the microtransaction nonsense completely irrelevant? I don't know.

In the end however...the save system is utterly ridiculous. If I want to play, I need to put enough time aside and hope for an autosave. I'm looking for the autosave symbol more than I'm looking for necromorphs.
Just quietly, fuck the save system in this game up the ass with a rusty razor blade.

I LOVE replaying the last 20 minutes every time I reload a game!
I really enjoyed Hardcore in DS2 but the borked save feature in 3 makes this really un-appealing.
- Awful save system. WTF were they thinking?

I am sensing a pattern emerging here from just the last 3 pages. I wonder what it could be......

Seems like a lot of people who were disapointed with this really loved DS2, which is interesting because I thought the writing was already on the wall what direction the franchise was headed by the end of that game.
For me the story of DS2 was pitch perfect (as a sequel) till we hit the cliche illuminati type direction of the Severed DLC. That was what made me think "whaaaaaaa".

DS1 was great because it miraculously avoided a lot of the more irritating trends this generation, while by contrast 2 went out of its way to try them all on for size. The original game seems to be the only Dead Space to grasp that sometimes less is more. Improved combat mechanics and visual fidelity aside (which were genuinely great btw) I found DS2 to be a step backwards from the first game across the board, and for a lot of the same reasons why DS2 fans are now finding DS3 a tough pill to swallow. Not that DS2 was a "bad" game by a long shot, but the potential being pissed away was clear as the spectral menace of Issac's dead GF starts talking your ear off and all traces of suspense and atmosphere building give way for wave upon wave of prolonged necromorph gangbangs. I don't think it's coincidence that many people's favorite chapter was the Ishimura, which was basically a bid for nostalgia, and a reminder why DS1 was so much smarter and more atmospheric.
In the context of the story though the increased enemy presense made sense. Issac had awoken mid-outbreak whereas in DS1 we are merely spectators to the aftermath.

I feel that DS2 did a good job of straddling the line between the tension of the original and the "omg exploding babies" direction they wanted to evolve into.

DS3 never makes use of it's envioroment in the way 1 & 2 did. Imagine how much better the game would be on the planet if the obscurity of the weather was used to full effect; You can just about make out a figure but the further you walk towards it the louder the whispy chant of the marker can be heard interwoven with the beating wind, never able to quite reach the source...

Visceral should thank their lucky stars for the art team, because their creative vision is the last vestige making the franchise compelling against a backdrop of increasingly poor gameplay decisions and painfully hamfisted storytelling.
I agree. That said, I feel like they really copped out on a lot of the assets in the game. Beyond the clear copy/paste of certain levels, they never really make an effort to hide the re-use of assets that make 0 sense in context. Ranging from the minor - re-use of boxes - to the painfully similar design of '200 year old' equippment to the kind of shit we see Issac using.

In DS2 there's an effort to distinguish the different ages of Titan station interiors and paraphernalia (the Vintage suit in DS2 chief among those, which had a real Jules Verne vibe to it). In 3 however we get treated to some very lazy attempts at world building.

If they wanted to make the technological transition more subtle they should of made the gap much smaller. I imagine the reason they didn't do that was down to the absense of SCAF lore from the previous titles.

Even the
subterrianian alien complex feels rushed and ill capatalized upon in comparison to the flotilla from the intial few chapters. When I first reached it I was pretty impressed with the idea of incoporating the alien nature of the language into the puzzles (the door chime type thing which gave me some real Abe's Odyssey vibes) but ideas like that are never really explored beyond their intial introduction, which is a real shame.

Other then some very good texture work and vistas, DS3 is a real downgrade even in regards to the art.

Mike M

Nick N
Imagine how much better the game would be on the planet if the obscurity of the weather was used to full effect; You can just about make out a figure but the further you walk towards it the louder the whispy chant of the marker can be heard interwoven with the beating wind, never able to quite reach the source...

They made a half-hearted abortive attempt at something along these lines with the Waster with the pick axe in the ice caves. I still don't know what they were going for with that sequence, we already knew everyone was long dead, but it was inexplicable behavior to see a necromorph engaged in. Maybe if it was the first instance of seeing necromorphs making fruitless attempts to try and dig through the ice, it'd make more sense, but really it just feels like it was something left over from an idea that they didn't implement.

NZNova

I'm at chapter 18 and have started having frequent crashes to desktop. Anyone else had these? I'm worried it will crash during a save and wipe out my progress... since I can't copy my save game through the in-game interface, is there a way to do it manually?

The crash info dumped into the event log is this:

Faulting application name: deadspace3.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x511e9327
Faulting module name: deadspace3.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x511e9327
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x008a2c45
Faulting process id: 0xc78
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce1b00df85f92d
Faulting application path: F:\Origin\Games\Dead Space 3\deadspace3.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Origin\Games\Dead Space 3\deadspace3.exe
Report Id: b7357e62-86f5-11e2-bf14-90e6ba602f65
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

raindoc

okay, i've finished the game on hardcore mode.
when i arrived at the last platform my character glitched through the floor AGAIN, yet this time i save&quited and tried it again. and again, always getting the glitch - i had to restart the chapter to finally make it work.

Top Bottom