• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

gryz

Banned
man the commercial for this game is hilariously awful. its almost like they were going for a grimdark parody.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The demo is so bad. The first 10 minutes are boring but tolerable. Then the enemies with guns show up. Then it tells me to crouch behind a crate. I don't think a demo has ever damaged my interest in a game as badly as that.

Eh that's just how it is, when people actively look for things to hate and dislike with a game then they'll find everything. A friend of mine who is a huge Devil May Cry 1/3 fan stopped at nothing when criticizing the new DmC, stooping as low as saying "even the grass looks bad" in a Devil May Cry game.

I don't care one bit for EA's strategies and exploitations, I don't think they're long for this world anyway, but it's a shame that people have to equate their decisions with Visceral's.

I think it is kinda of sad that people go into a game wanting to hate it.
I don't think you guys are being entirely fair. Most people who have been frustrated at one point or another with news regarding DS3 prior to launch are fans of the first two games (or at least the first game) so they weren't necessarily looking for reasons to hate DS3. The problem is, a lot of the news surrounding the game was troubling in one way or another; be it the addition of co-op, the micro-transactions (not just the suits as with the other games in the series but the actual gun upgrade materials or whatever), or the changes to gameplay that seemed to make the game even more action focused than the previous installments (like the cover system and fighting against humans).

As it turns out, DS3 might end up being a pretty fantastic game and all of the worries and concerns many fans have shared going in could end up being mostly or entirely unwarranted. The jury is still out on that I suppose, but initial indications seem to suggest that DS3 will be another solid entry in the series.

The only point I'm trying to make is that some Dead Space fans who are worried about DS3 (such as myself) aren't looking for reasons to hate the game. Even with all of the concerns I have had leading up to launch I have tried to keep an open mind since I do think Visceral is a quality developer and I don't think they would allow EA's stupid business practices to ruin their franchise, but at times it was still difficult not to be concerned.

Having said all of that, there definitely are some people who will jump on the hate bandwagon when it comes to certain bits of news, so I understand where you guys are coming from. I just don't think you can apply that line of thinking to every DS3 skeptic.

Not to get off topic but the internet has just turned into this big self righteous, my opinion is better then yours, I'm right your wrong BS. It's always been there but It's been getting worse. I think the whole ME3 ending debacle and uproar paved the way for people to think they can moan and complain and have things changed and ultimately GET their way.

I agree that ME3 was the tipping point, but not quite in that fashion. I think it just tipped the scale from being a somewhat balanced environment to one that fuels on negativity.

Developers are now treated like crap after fans and media overblowing the "entitled" word and twisting it to whatever end they saw fit, and being in a catch-22 on the product.

Fans get the cold shoulder because, despite having a valid starting argument on the thematic issues of the ending, they've proven that they don't understand business or economics, therefore are incapable of being taken seriously. Not to mention how hostile they were to each other (mostly those who were angry towards everyone else).

The media is a joke because of, not only being completely opposite of what the consumers were feeling practically, but antagonizing their readers to worsen the situation in hopes of more page hits and potential scandals erupting. Not only did it not help prior allegations of corporate bribes affecting review scores and news content, but it also made it clear in many cases that the gaming media is no better than any of us in objectivity (they just get paid for their opinion).

No one really got their way to prove the behavior was ok. They believe it is because suddenly gaming turned into an antagonistic environment that was ripe for emulating, and nobody has done anything to change it since then.

No, this doesn't account for 100% of the people involved in that mess. Heck, it's stupid to lay a blanket blame on everyone, and it's the same case for those who are upset with the marketing of DS3 or the situation surrounding the Wii U. But most participated in it at all angles, and the majority of those who take part online on forums and aggregate sites are just digging that hole deeper.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't think you guys are being entirely fair. Most people who have been frustrated at one point or another with news regarding DS3 prior to launch are fans of the first two games (or at least the first game) so they weren't necessarily looking for reasons to hate DS3. The problem is, a lot of the news surrounding the game was troubling in one way or another; be it the addition of co-op, the micro-transactions (not just the suits as with the other games in the series but the actual gun upgrade materials or whatever), or the changes to gameplay that seemed to make the game even more action focused than the previous installments (like the cover system and fighting against humans).

As it turns out, DS3 might end up being a pretty fantastic game and all of the worries and concerns many fans have shared going in could end up being mostly or entirely unwarranted. The jury is still out on that I suppose, but initial indications seem to suggest that DS3 will be another solid entry in the series.

The only point I'm trying to make is that some Dead Space fans who are worried about DS3 (such as myself) aren't looking for reasons to hate the game. Even with all of the concerns I have had leading up to launch I have tried to keep an open mind since I do think Visceral is a quality developer and I don't think they would allow EA's stupid business practices to ruin their franchise, but at times it was still difficult not to be concerned.

Having said all of that, there definitely are some people who will jump on the hate bandwagon when it comes to certain bits of news, so I understand where you guys are coming from. I just don't think you can apply that line of thinking to every DS3 skeptic.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't dismiss any kind of negative impression just for the sake of going "well since I like this game I'm going to disregard your criticism"... especially considering I have yet to play it myself. I do agree with a lot of people that what has been shown of the game isn't really indicative of what I like with the franchise, like the things you mentioned above.

Jaded as I may be nowadays, I think you gotta approach everything Dead Space news related in two different ways; one way, as a fan that wants more of what made the first two games great - the other, as someone who understands that behind these "AAA" games are multi billion dollar publishers with interests, marketing and agendas of their own.

Yes I understand why they [marketing] focus on co-op. Yes I understand why EA wants DLC in the game and yes I understand why fans are constantly disappointed at commercials that are supposed to pander to as broad an audience as possible going as far as removing words like "sci-fi" in media quotes in the commercials.

In the end, what I guess I'm trying to get at is that by all means criticize a game as much as you want and it deserves, but be fair - the way people talk down this game on GAF you'd think it has been out for a while and everyone has tried it for themselves instead of basing their opinions on some non-representative commercials.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't dismiss any kind of negative impression just for the sake of going "well since I like this game I'm going to disregard your criticism"... especially considering I have yet to play it myself. I do agree with a lot of people that what has been shown of the game isn't really indicative of what I like with the franchise, like the things you mentioned above.

Jaded as I may be nowadays, I think you gotta approach everything Dead Space news related in two different ways; one way, as a fan that wants more of what made the first two games great - the other, as someone who understands that behind these "AAA" games are multi billion dollar publishers with interests, marketing and agendas of their own.

Yes I understand why they [marketing] focus on co-op. Yes I understand why EA wants DLC in the game and yes I understand why fans are constantly disappointed at commercials that are supposed to pander to as broad an audience as possible going as far as removing words like "sci-fi" in media quotes in the commercials.

In the end, what I guess I'm trying to get at is that be all means criticize a game as much as you want and it deserves, but be fair - the way people talk down this game on GAF you'd think it has been out for a while and everyone has tried it for themselves instead of basing their opinions on some non-representative commercials.
Sounds like we're in agreement then, I understand exactly what you're saying here and I agree completely. I really enjoyed DS2 and that game didn't exactly have the best marketing in the world either, haha.

I really want DS3 to be a fantastic game, the IP is easily one of my favorites to come out of this generation.

RoKKeR

In the end, what I guess I'm trying to get at is that be all means criticize a game as much as you want and it deserves, but be fair - the way people talk down this game on GAF you'd think it has been out for a while and everyone has tried it for themselves instead of basing their opinions on some non-representative commercials.
Yeah, this is my biggest issue as well. If the actual game turns out to be shit then by all means, tear it apart. But seeing all of the hate thrown at DS3 because of trailers, microtransactions, and bad PR is simply annoying. Especially when the game hasn't even released.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Anyone getting this on PC want to be my co-op partner?

Also, looks like we can preload the game on Origin this Friday at 1PM EST. Then the game unlocks at 12:01AM EST. Sweet! That means, 9:00PM PST for me!

Preloading now. :) Really wish I lived in a different time zone. It will be difficult to restrain myself from playing all night long after the game unlocks at Midnight.

Wrote and article on the marketing of Dead Space 3

http://www.playereffort.com/?page_id=2353

EA is weird

I think I responded to your article over on r/truegaming. Overall response was that EA just overestimated consumers on seeing past the target marketing to the other content they released on the side with the press, as well as that marketing horror is very difficult to do. Those who have watched Amnesia and played the game know the difference I'm speaking of.

But yes, they did need to balance the image a bit more, if not to appease knee-jerkers. Enjoyed the write up though.

Not had issues in the past for a few games. Thanks for the heads up though. Also nice touch having a blueprint called
Codecow
btw! :D I smiled!

I spotted this on IGN too, and tried to build it in the weapon crafting mode of the demo. The thing was way more powerful than I expected, and I didn't even have the right parts (had to use a basic frame instead of the better one from the IGN screenshot).

SystemBug

I think I responded to your article over on r/truegaming. Overall response was that EA just overestimated consumers on seeing past the target marketing to the other content they released on the side with the press, as well as that marketing horror is very difficult to do. Those who have watched Amnesia and played the game know the difference I'm speaking of.

But yes, they did need to balance the image a bit more, if not to appease knee-jerkers. Enjoyed the write up though.
I guess that's what it pretty much comes to down to. I'm looking forward to the game for sure since I read all the previews and stuff. However one of my friends who has played all other Dead Space games didn't even know some of the cool stuff such as side quests and dementia in coop until he read my article. His interest in the game shot up by quite a margin because he was going to dismiss after being disappointed by RE6. Some of the stuff could have been better promoted for sure.

And I agree marketing horror is hard but there has to be some way of doing it effectively. Maybe if they played up the scaryness of the game a bit - something like "Are you brave enough for Dead Space 3" or something like that.

I spotted this on IGN too, and tried to build it in the weapon crafting mode of the demo. The thing was way more powerful than I expected, and I didn't even have the right parts (had to use a basic frame instead of the better one from the IGN screenshot).

There better be some
monkey pants
in the game as well ;)

Drewfonse

Not had issues in the past for a few games. Thanks for the heads up though. Also nice touch having a blueprint called
Codecow
btw! :D I smiled!

Well it feels very Deep Space. Completely. I won't spoil anything. Yet sometimes it hard to gauge what's spoiler territory around these parts. I can say there is alot of variation in the game.

What the fuck, dude??!! Spoiler that shit. Now I know it feels like Dead Space.

Just kidding. Your impressions are eagerly awaited.

I'm torn... I like Isaac but I'm a military type and Carter looks like a badass with that face plate glowing red and he's a trained soldier... I just like that more than the engineer in a bad situation... But I started with Isaac and its my obligation to finish the job I think.

In the demo, my co-op buddy and I got the impression that Carver is a bit of a smartass, with his occasional wisecracks. Now my friend is insisting to play as him, haha.

I've heard that there might be hallucination type stuff that only one player sees. I'm wondering, will this make it worth playing through on co-op twice? (once with each character)

Ken

I'm torn... I like Isaac but I'm a military type and Carter looks like a badass with that face plate glowing red and he's a trained soldier... I just like that more than the engineer in a bad situation... But I started with Isaac and its my obligation to finish the job I think.

Isaac needs to update his occupation from engineer to necromorph hunter/space marine.

Muffdraul

can't wait for this to be basically an inferior version of Resident Evil 6 but get glowing praise

Can't wait for this to basically be a worthy addition to the franchise, but get torn apart by the rabid anti-EA/day 1 DLC/shootbang mob anyway.

Having our minds made up before actually playing the game... feels good man.

SystemBug

can't wait for this to be basically an inferior version of Resident Evil 6 but get glowing praise
I played a bit of RE6 coop at a friends house. The game has damn good gameplay mechanics built into it. The shooting/melee and diving stuff is unreal and works pretty well. I'll be picking it up once it hits the PC.

What the fuck, dude??!! Spoiler that shit. Now I know it feels like Dead Space.
Just kidding. Your impressions are eagerly awaited.

LOL.

Well let me just say a few things to clarify. First off. Enemies are much faster. Much. Like holy crap sometimes I get swarmed fast. Playing on normal the difficulty feels about right. I did notice that I have had healing items and ammo pretty abundant, yet there was a few times I didn't and the first side quest really gave me a challange due to it's set up. With that said normal isn't that bad. As for the story, I am loving the characters they have introduced and while they are there, I never feel like they are around to much to the point of not feeling isolated. The use of antigravity and outside space segments is the best the series has had imo.

Currently I'm on chapter 9, just got a new side mission and my game timer is around over 5 hours. With 19 chapters it feels like I have quite a bit left to do. Saying that. I've only out humans once, on chapter 1 and that's it. Could turn into much more later but for now all those worried about that, really shouldn't be. The scares, yes the scared are still there. From loud noises, to enemies jumping out suddenly, etc. That all feels the same. I've even had some unexpected things occur that threw me for a loop. I'm actually recording all this (with a face cam) for a video walkthrough I'm releasing on Tuesday. The game feels like a great mix between part 1 and part 2. Puzzles are varied, even if minor. I've seen a few repeats but not too many. Hmmm what else is there to say? So far I'm highly impressed, highly pleased, and if this keeps up, will take my spot for my favorite DS. Though really I've loved all of these games so far. There is just a ton of variation, and for those worried this went the RE6 route, not in the slightest.

I enjoyed RE6 for what it was, but this beats it hands down for me. Being a long time RE fan, yep... I just said it.

Amen.

I have actually been part of the problem when it comes to DLC for Dead Space games. Both had cheap suit upgraded that made the game a bit more manageable on the hardest difficulty.
When it comes to games that can scare me I'm comforted by any and every advantage I can get. If I can buy a better suit for $2 I'm in.
Sorry for helping ruin gaming. :)

Screw that. If it works for you, there is no problem. It isn't life threatening. It is optional content for a video game that brings us $2 closer to DS4.

A suit of the month club with a nice incentive for paying up front would be welcome. I'm good for a little extra if they can retrofit them for DS1/2.

I've warmed up to Resident Evil 6 considerably, but it's still not exactly what I want out of the series nor does it feel like Resident Evil to me. From what I've seen, personally, Dead Space 3 at least looks and feels like a Dead Space game. That being said, RE6 is admittedly a very fun game if you can deal with the stupid QTE's and a couple of the really bad insta-death scenarios. I'll be happy to own both myself.

RoKKeR

LOL.

Well let me just say a few things to clarify. First off. Enemies are much faster. Much. Like holy crap sometimes I get swarmed fast. Playing on normal the difficulty feels about right. I did notice that I have had healing items and ammo pretty abundant, yet there was a few times I didn't and the first side quest really gave me a challange due to it's set up. With that said normal isn't that bad. As for the story, I am loving the characters they have introduced and while they are there, I never feel like they are around to much to the point of not feeling isolated. The use of antigravity and outside space segments is the best the series has had imo.

Currently I'm on chapter 9, just got a new side mission and my game timer is around over 5 hours. With 19 chapters it feels like I have quite a bit left to do. Saying that. I've only out humans once, on chapter 1 and that's it. Could turn into much more later but for now all those worried about that, really shouldn't be. The scares, yes the scared are still there. From loud noises, to enemies jumping out suddenly, etc. That all feels the same. I've even had some unexpected things occur that threw me for a loop. I'm actually recording all this (with a face cam) for a video walkthrough I'm releasing on Tuesday. The game feels like a great mix between part 1 and part 2. Puzzles are varied, even if minor. I've seen a few repeats but not too many. Hmmm what else is there to say? So far I'm highly impressed, highly pleased, and if this keeps up, will take my spot for my favorite DS. Though really I've loved all of these games so far. There is just a ton of variation, and for those worried this went the RE6 route, not in the slightest.

I enjoyed RE6 for what it was, but this beats it hands down for me. Being a long time RE fan, yep... I just said it.
Nothing has done as much to calm my fears as much as this post. Thank you.

Why did EA have such a difficult time show THIS game to everybody? Idiots.

LOL.

flRWu.gif

Nothing has done as much to calm my fears as much as this post. Thank you.

Why did EA have such a difficult time show THIS game to everybody? Idiots.

Yeah the PR is a bit perplexing. I'd love to see some dude bros pick this up not knowing what they are about to play and inedvertedly shit themselves in fear. :D If only I could get EA or codecow/Visceral to approve me streaming a chapter on twitch! :D Come on guys! Let me do it for GAF. Just give me the rules, I'll obide! :D

Also the demo is vastly different then the final game (slight spoilers)
Isaacs helmet won't close, his suit is busted thus the hand shielding animation. You now have to find your way through the snow to light from fires due to the crash to stay warm or you DIE. Your waypoint marker doesn't work till you get yourself the snow suit. Also pretty much everything else in the demo is different after that short begining part. Will the demo stuff take place at a later point?, I'm guessing yes, but it's def not the same. I'm guessing they took segments and combined them.

codecow

My gun is very simple it isn't pimped out or anything other than it has a single cool attachment (which will get you an achievement/trophy).

codecow

If only I could get EA or codecow/Visceral to approve me streaming a chapter on twitch! :D Come on guys! Let me do it for GAF. Just give me the rules, I'll obide! :D

That's not going to happen. I just got a copy for 360 about a half an hour ago, I might jump on and play some tonight.

JJD

In the demo, my co-op buddy and I got the impression that Carver is a bit of a smartass, with his occasional wisecracks. Now my friend is insisting to play as him, haha.

I've heard that there might be hallucination type stuff that only one player sees. I'm wondering, will this make it worth playing through on co-op twice? (once with each character)

Good question! I hope Codecow or Monkeypants can answer this. My first playthrough will be solo, and on my second one I'll try co op playing as Carver.

A friend told me that the game is 16GB on the 360, so the PS3 version is probably close to that size right?

Damn, I'll need 32GB of free space just to download and install the game...I should have gone with a physical copy. =(

LOL.

Is there a option to replay chapters? Or is that not possible?

Toa TAK

Banned
This game is amazing and stomps on RE6.

Ha! I knew it wouldn't turn out as that god-awful garbage known as Resident Evil 6, (nothing can).

Your impressions please me and I can no longer contain my excitement for this game. Replaying through the second is all I can do until the 5th (in terms of Dead Space hype).

Is there a option to replay chapters? Or is that not possible?

Yes sir. Also say you stop at chapter 3, then replay chaper 2. There is an option to load story, which takes you to the last known story point. :D Pretty cool. So basically you could jump around to previous chapters at your hearts content and no worry about over writing your lastest story progress. Also the game tells you in the extras how many secret items are collectable per chapter, and how many you collected. Also tells you if it has a side mission or co-op only mission and check them off if you have done them.

RoKKeR

Also the demo is vastly different then the final game (slight spoilers)
Isaacs helmet won't close, his suit is busted thus the hand shielding animation. You now have to find your way through the snow to light from fires due to the crash to stay warm or you DIE. Your waypoint marker doesn't work till you get yourself the snow suit. Also pretty much everything else in the demo is different after that short begining part. Will the demo stuff take place at a later point?, I'm guessing yes, but it's def not the same. I'm guessing they took segments and combined them.
yesjacknicholson.gif

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes sir. Also say you stop at chapter 3, then replay chaper 2. There is an option to load story, which takes you to the last known story point. :D Pretty cool. So basically you could jump around to previous chapters at your hearts content and no worry about over writing your lastest story progress. Also the game tells you in the extras how many secret items are collectable per chapter, and how many you collected. Also tells you if it has a side mission or co-op only mission and check them off if you have done them.

This sounds great! I've been waiting for Dead Space to give us an option to replay levels.

Everything you say sounds too good to be true.

This sounds great! I've been waiting for Dead Space to give us an option to replay levels.

Everything you say sounds too good to be true.

It's not. :D Can't wait till you guys start playing! :D

Definitely keep the spoiler(ish) free opinions coming slasher, they're greatly appreciated.

I'll update more as I play. I find it funny though that I'm getting people more hyped then EA PR could. :p See hardcore gamers can help a product out after all :D You can thank me later :p

RoKKeR

I'll update more as I play. I find it funny though that I'm getting people more hyped then EA PR could. :p See hardcore gamers can help a product out after all :D You can thank me later :p

Or I'll just thank you now.

Thanks.

I'm holding out for a chance of Amazon shipping me my copy a day early. It's never happened before but...might as well hold out hope right?

Or I'll just thank you now.
Thanks.

I'm holding out for a chance of Amazon shipping me my copy a day early. It's never happened before but...might as well hold out hope right?

Appreciated but truly aimed more at EA :p Well... cause... PR speaks.. dude bro to alot of people out there :p

Thanks. That sounds great.

Another question: How many zero g sections are there?

Thanks. That sounds great.

Another question: How many zero g sections are there?

Well there is one or two inside if I recall correctly but not long. There is a few that takes place outside as well. I don't want to spoil to much but they are pretty to look at and alot of room to move around so to speak :p Now that I'm on the planet I'm curious if that's all done.

Top Bottom