• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

eshwaaz

Judging from the demo, I feel like the sound design has taken a step backwards.

Bodies (and body parts) are now completely silent when they get kicked around as you run over them, which is really a shame - that sound used to startle the hell out of me, even after I'd cleared out an area. Now corpses feel hollow and have no physicality.

The dive roll sound is barely audible. The rig is supposed to be very heavy, but the audio here is very weak. Again, no sense of weight.

I could be imagining this one, but even the stomp sounds softer to me.

I'm probably the only one bothered by these things, but the sound design was one of the biggest strengths of the previous two games. I'm definitely not pleased with the changes/additions in DS3.

Judging from the demo, I feel like the sound design has taken a step backwards.

Bodies (and body parts) are now completely silent when they get kicked around as you run over them, which is really a shame - that sound used to startle the hell out of me, even after I'd cleared out an area. Now corpses feel hollow and have no physicality.

The dive roll sound is barely audible. The rig is supposed to be very heavy, but the audio here is very weak. Again, no sense of weight.

I could be imagining this one, but even the stomp sounds softer to me.

I'm probably the only one bothered by these things, but the sound design was one of the biggest strengths of the previous two games. I'm definitely not pleased with the changes/additions in DS3.

I haven't played the demo, but that sounds worrying. Hope it's because of an early build. Those are things many people appreciate, too.

The dive roll audio is fairly weak in the final game but running around the dead enemies bodies still makes the squishy sounds and whatnot.

eshwaaz

The dive roll audio is fairly weak in the final game but running around the dead enemies bodies still makes the squishy sounds and whatnot.
Thanks, slasher - I was hoping you'd chime in. Did you notice that the "body sounds" were missing in the demo, or are they just mixed really low in the demo and final? I strained to hear anything in the demo, but heard nothing - are they loud in the final, as they were in 1 and 2?

Thanks, slasher - I was hoping you'd chime in. Did you notice that the "body sounds" were missing in the demo, or are they just mixed really low in the demo and final? I strained to hear anything in the demo, but heard nothing - are they loud in the final, as they were in 1 and 2?

Let me put my headphones on and give it a whirl. I know they were definitely there though. :p Well after checking I'll admit there not super loud. Especially if there is background noise. So, take that as you will. Has that made my experience bad, no, but I can see audio junkies having some beef with it.

Did they make any changes to the controls with DS3? It's been awhile since I played 2 but something felt "off" while I was playing the demo (shooting necromorphs with the plasma cutter in particular).

Did they make any changes to the controls with DS3? It's been awhile since I played 2 but something felt "off" while I was playing the demo (shooting necromorphs).

You know I had a similar feeling at first as well. Put in the other games and it felt the same to me. So not sure If I just wasn't remembering them, or if it's just a subtle change, but I haven't had any issues with the controls as of this point.

Let me put my headphones on and give it a whirl. I know they were definitely there though. :p Well after checking I'll admit there not super loud. Especially if there is background noise. So, take that as you will. Has that made my experience bad, no, but I can see audio junkies having some beef with it.

Might as well throw out my expensive headphones then! What use are they when I can't notice the sloshing of dragging dead bodies around.

Might as well throw out my expensive headphones then! What use are they when I can't notice the sloshing of dragging dead bodies around.

Awww no come on. There is still plenty of awesome sounds in the game. These are small dings :D Trust me. :D Just wait till you hear the sound of the rushing air and snow storm outside. :D

RoKKeR

To be totally honest I thought the sound was overkill in DS2. I'm fine with it being in, but I'm glad to hear its been turned down a bit.

My Amazon order hasn't shipped yet. Don't fail me now...

codecow

I have a couple of Slim Jim wrappers. There was some DLC promo, any idea what it unlocks?

codecow?

Thanks.

Actually I don't, I will check for you. I know originally we had a really cool idea for an unlock but it ended up getting shot down.

We did get a crate of Slim Jims at work with the Isaac packaging and I ended up eating a bunch that people were trying to save (because of the packaging) near the end of the game. I love meat sticks.

Actually I don't, I will check for you. I know originally we had a really cool idea for an unlock but it ended up getting shot down.

We did get a crate of Slim Jims at work with the Isaac packaging and I ended up eating a bunch that people were trying to save (because of the packaging) near the end of the game. I love meat sticks.

tumblr_lkbahxseln1qglq6uxs.gif

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the demo. That drill section is such complete and utter bullshit. It was obviously designed for co-op: one guy handles the enemies and the other guy handles the drill. Very frustrating to play solo.

Just played the demo. That drill section is such complete and utter bullshit. It was obviously designed for co-op: one guy handles the enemies and the other guy handles the drill. Very frustrating to play solo.

All I did was freeze the drill, kill the enemies, shoot in drill. Then repeated.

Oh and occasionally running around the small circle screaming when the drill got too close.

At Chapter 12, quick impressions:

+ Graphics, sound are superb.
+ Same awesome gunplay from DS1, 2.
+ Side options missions are nice addition.
- Normal difficulty is absolute cake.
- I prefer the item management system in DS1 and 2 (ammo, weapons, all of it).
- Human enemies suck, their AI is terrible and they aren't fun to fight. Thankfully, they appear infrequently.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I didn't have much trouble with the drill on solo. I crafted a gun to have a 360 degree knockback secondary and used that to keep enemies grounded while I slowed and shot the yellow dangly bits with the plasma cutter.

codecow

All I did was freeze the drill, kill the enemies, shoot in drill. Then repeated.

Oh and occasionally running around the small circle screaming when the drill got too close.

Use stasis on the drill, it makes it way easier. Also note there are stasis recharge units.

RoKKeR

- Human enemies suck, their AI is terrible and they aren't fun to fight. Thankfully, they appear infrequently.
All sounds promising. Thanks for the impressions.

Good enough for me.

How long have you been playing for? And how many chapters left?

Doomrider

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Praise the marker.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hmm, for some reason The Art of Dead Space and Dead Space (paperback comic) won't be here until the 7th, but I'll be getting Liberation and DS3 on Tuesday. It's not really a big deal, I just wish it was shipping in one package.

Ghazi

I picked release day shipping on Amazon for this and it's telling me that I'll get it on the 15th. This makes me angry.

Toa TAK

Banned
FUSE has it worse than Tomb Raider on GAF right now.

Well, maybe not that bad.

And yes! I think it switched over sometime this week. feelsgoodman.jpg

I don't think I've caught up on the TR situation on GAF yet. Does GAF still hate it? Or are they gonna let up?

Doomrider

I don't think I've caught up on the TR situation on GAF yet. Does GAF still hate it? Or are they gonna let up?

Neither have I, but you can always expect a similar reaction from fans of an established series when the latest game in said series strays too far from its foundations (which seems to be the case with TR). Generally speaking, people here don't seem to take well to extreme streamlining, in pursuit of a larger audience.

Feel free to correct me on the TR situation, as I only have very superficial knowledge of what's going on.

steven28

Sounds cool..does anyone know how many chapters are in the game ?

delta25

Banned

I think for the sake of the story/plot Visceral had no choice but to incorporate human AI enemies into the gameplay based on the story and its progression throughout the series leading up to DS3.

I think for the sake of the story/plot Visceral had no choice but to incorporate human AI enemies into the gameplay based on the story and its progression throughout the series leading up to DS3.

I'll admit I don't find the human fights appealing in the game and it's one of the worst aspects of DS3. When I say that though, it's really not bad, it's just I had to find a few things I didn't like about the game and the human stuff is one of them. Though I agree with your thoughts. Not to mention the series has had humans trying to intervene or get in the way before, now you just get to fight back a few times.

delta25

Banned
I'll admit I don't find the human appealing in the game and it's one of the worst things in the game. When I say that thought, it's reallly not bad, it's just I had to find a few things I didn't like about the game and the human stuff is one of them. Though I agree with your thoughts. Not to mention the series has had humans trying to intervene or get in the way before, now you just get to fight back a few times.

If I'm not mistaken Isaac now has earthgov, the CEC and Unitologists after him?

Top Bottom