• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction coming to XBLA/PSN?

DMczaf

http://kotaku.com/5467177/dead-space-extraction-planet-cracker-coming-to-xbla-psn

Visceral Games' Dead Space 2 may not be the next game you play in the sci-fi franchise. Recent surveys point to an Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network port of Wii misfire Dead Space Extraction and something brand new, Planet Cracker.

One survey's description of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 port of Dead Space Extraction indicates that any planned port of the game would feature the same on-rails "guided first-person experience" gameplay, pitched as an "interactive horror experience" in "full HD." A tentative price of $15 USD was mentioned in the survey forwarded to Kotaku.

Another title, known as Planet Cracker, was potentially more interesting. Described as a "resource strategy game where players will manage a CEC Mining operation," Planet Cracker focuses players on attempting to "maximize their daily profit" and "defending their hard-won ore from Space Pirates." Sounds like Ore Tycoon aboard the USG Ishimura.

Planet Cracker was billed in the survey as an extension to the story of Dead Space 2 and could yield "in-game rewards" for the retail version of the sequel, similar to the Fable II Pub Games that preceded Lionhead's role-playing game and netted players in-game gold.

Both Dead Space Extraction HD and Planet Cracker were listed a possible incentives for Dead Space 2 that could be unlocked to those who pre-purchased the game.

DMeisterJ

Banned
And thus begins the ports of Wii games to the motion controllers. I'm actually not sure how they'd do DS: E on the 360, but the PS3 version would obviously be ARC controlled. :eek:

Anony

15 usd on xbla/psn
vs
50 usd on wii

reaffirms this should have retailed for budget price on wii when it released if this is true

Could this be the beginning of devs seriously considering putting their Wii games on XBLA? I wouldn't say no as I don't have a Wii. I'd imagine that an XBLA/PSN DSE release would happen around the same time as Natal/Arc.

Mohonky

Aaron Strife said:
not even wii owners wanted this, why would it do better on XBLA

As much as the Wii has become a lightgun shooter platform, it pisses me off using the Wii-mote to aim due to the way the technology works unlike the old lightgun games with a CRT screen.

I'd buy a HD Extraction on XBLA, would love it.

yoopoo

Banned
Its a game that can be finished in one sitting...and you'll never play it again. $15 is too much for this, $10 to $8 is a better price for the experience.

Does the Arc have a fast enough refresh rate for light gun shooters?
I haven't seen how it responds in that kind of situation for pointing yet.

Alphahawk

Aaron Strife said:
not even wii owners wanted this, why would it do better on XBLA

I'm pretty sure the Wii hate was from bitter Nintendo fanboys who wanted an actual Dead Space on their console of choice though..

TehSw1tch

Banned
If it's for Natal and Arc, that's kinda cool. But I distinctly remember both Sony and Microsoft claiming their devices will not be a place for ports.

So, if this uses standard 360 and PS3 controllers, who the hell wants to drag a cursor around the screen with thumbsticks?

Sipowicz

Banned
this is a great idea. eurocom's half assed railshooter was enjoyable thefirst time you played through it and offering it as a 15 dollar download on the platforms that played host to the proper game makes far more sense than what they did on the wii

i could see this doing quite well, better than 9k anyway

EmCeeGramr said:
also in before sipowicz gets in here and threatens to blow up xbla and psn and murder everyone at ea

too late son! :lol

and it would work quite well with natal and the sony wand i think

Both Dead Space Extraction HD and Planet Cracker were listed a possible incentives for Dead Space 2 that could be unlocked to those who pre-purchased the game.

Wii owners didn't want it and I don't think Xbox 360 and PS3 owners want to take a step back to on-rails. I think giving it away as a pre-order bonus is the best way to get people to play it.

ColR100

People mentioning Arc, what is it exactly? Some new download section for PSN?

Ahh, just seen the few posts above. Never knew it had a name yet.

Alphahawk said:
I'm pretty sure the Wii hate was from bitter Nintendo fanboys who wanted an actual Dead Space on their console of choice though..

The fact that it only sold 9K indicates that it wasn't JUST "bitter fanboys" that didn't want it.

TehSw1tch

Banned
AceBandage said:
The fact that it only sold 9K indicates that it wasn't JUST "bitter fanboys" that didn't want it.

The only reason Umbrella Chronicles sold so well, is because people thought it might be a new resident evil, and the only reason house of the dead 2&3 sold so well, is because it was cheap.

EA fails.

AceBandage said:
*facepalm*
It sold 9k in ithe US in the first few days after its release. Its current sales, while still bad, are much higher than that.

Firestorm

Can I download a light gun?
AceBandage said:
And you say I'm trying to "spin this" like it means anything.
I'm simply stating the facts.
Yeah, yeah. We all know you're Fair and Balanced.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EmCeeGramr said:
That would be kinda cool, but the controls would be weird.

Not really. Left thumb-stick/d-pad - aim.

R1/R-Trigger - shoot.
L1/L-Trigger - reload

Worked for Biohazard: Gun Survivor (ugh, no guncon support in US) and X-box port of House of the Dead 3 (unless you got the mad cats lightgun/Silent Scope controller).

I'd actually probably replay this on XBLA if there were an appropriate control method

It was a pretty good game that I wish EA had some confidence in.

Firestorm said:
Can I download a light gun?
Yeah, yeah. We all know you're Fair and Balanced.

I've never claimed to be, but I fail to see how I'm trying to spin anything here.
People don't want this game, the sales indicate that, the backlash indicate that.
However, it seems EA is just hell bent on shoving this game down people's throats.

Good to know EA's big "core" Wii effort is something they're comfortable selling as a $15 download. Wii owners are at fault for not rushing out and buying it at full price though.

If this happens, I want sales figures. Beyond that, this feels weird. They charge $50 for it on the Wii, and then turn around and discount it 70% for the other consoles.

AceBandage said:
Does the Arc have a fast enough refresh rate for light gun shooters?
I haven't seen how it responds in that kind of situation for pointing yet.

why would it have trouble with refresh rate?

And as for pointing Arc should have no trouble there ether.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAbd_i67oc
Starting at 3:22 You can see that because the PS3 knows exactly where, the Arc is in space and how its tilted and where it's pointing it can create a targeting redical just as accurate as the Wii.

An on-rails shooter sould be a piece of cake for Arc.

Top Bottom