• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction (Wii - EA/Eurocom) Details, Trailer

Sadist

happyfunball said:
Because they fell into the same trap that pubs/devs think they have to do for games on the Wii.

Make a core game so easy and dumbed-down that grandmother's can play.

In the process, they create a game that nobody wants to play. This game fits that perfectly and is a shame because it could have had great potential.
What? To make it a rail-shooter? Yeah, at first sight I was unimpressed with the decision made by EA, but with more info coming in (a lot of the guys of the original working on it with a few Eurocom members) and seeing more of the game (the first level walktrough looked pretty cool) peaked my interest. It's not a pure railshooter like a HotD, but it also has elements like inspecting/researching a room and you choose which paths to take. It looks interesting and very important, a game I'd like to play and seeing the opinions of several others in this thread, I'm not the only one.

And I don't want to be a dick or something, but the original Dead Space didn't fire up the charts either. Maybe no one (keeping the "hardcore" out of the picture) wants to play a Dead Space game. No matter what genre it is.

Sadist

I find it funny everytime I see this happening with the whole boxart thing. :lol

Edit: and one more thing, Extraction might not be in the genre we actually wanted, but that doesn't make it a game we don't want to play or it might be boring. I want to play it first.

EDarkness

Sadist said:
What? To make it a rail-shooter? Yeah, at first sight I was unimpressed with the decision made by EA, but with more info coming in (a lot of the guys of the original working on it with a few Eurocom members) and seeing more of the game (the first level walktrough looked pretty cool) peaked my interest. It's not a pure railshooter like a HotD, but it also has elements like inspecting/researching a room and you choose which paths to take. It looks interesting and very important, a game I'd like to play and seeing the opinions of several others in this thread, I'm not the only one.

And I don't want to be a dick or something, but the original Dead Space didn't fire up the charts either. Maybe no one (keeping the "hardcore" out of the picture) wants to play a Dead Space game. No matter what genre it is.

It's great that you want to play it, but it doesn't change the fact that the Wii really doesn't have many 3rd person games like Resident Evil 4 and changing the game from a 3rd person experience to a rail shooter isn't something that a lot of people want. I enjoy rail shooters, honestly. I have pretty much all of them except Mad Dog (which I'll probably get at some point), but I believe changing the genre of Dead Space was a bad move.

What's really sad is they act like this is some kind of test. No one should be surprised if it bombs. All I can say is good luck to them. I won't be buying a copy unfortunately...at least not until there's a price drop or something.

Sadist said:

No doubt, the game looks good for what it is, but making it a rail shooter still seems like a cop out. I'd much rather see a Dead Space side story for Wii in the style of the original than the route they took, and I think that's more than a fair criticism, especially given the shitty history the Wii has when it comes to established 3rd party franchises. As for sales, even though the first one didn't do amazingly well it helped lay the foundation for the series, and I suspect a proper sequel will enjoy more recognition because of it. Honestly I'll be surprised if Extraction even manages to match the total sales of the first game, but if it does it just puts Wii owners back in the catch-22 that all these "tests" lead to- retail failure means Wii owners "don't support core games" signaling devs not to bother, and success signals that it's acceptable to just pump out genre hopping second tier spin-offs of games that the HD systems enjoy the "real" full fledged versions of.

Scrubking

GrotesqueBeauty said:
but if it does it just puts Wii owners back in the catch-22 that all these "tests" lead to- retail failure means Wii owners "don't support core games" signaling devs not to bother, and success signals that it's acceptable to just pump out genre hopping second tier spin-offs of games that the HD systems enjoy the "real" full fledged versions of.

This can't be stressed enough.

Sadist said:

So Dead Space doesn't light up the charts in it's original genre, so make it into a more niche genre with greater competition on a different console.

Dead Space on Wii may not have sold like crazy no matter what genre but I think they have doomed it to failure with their poor decisions no matter how much love they put into it.

Sign me up on the not buying camp.

We should boycott Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles too. What's Capcom gonna do? Cancel the PS1 ports or RE2 and RE3?

Sadist

I know you guys want a third person Dead Space on Wii (I want one as well) but the thing is, it won't change Extraction. It will stay the way it is and it's true what you say GrotesqueBeauty, it looks cool for what it is. You can argue as much as you want and several of your arguments are valid, but it will stay an onrailshooter.

I know EA won't be as happy with low sales for Extraction, but they should have thought of that earlier. It's not the general Wii demographic fault if they don't want to play on-rail shooters.

happyfunball said:
So Dead Space doesn't light up the charts in it's original genre, so make it into a more niche genre with greater competition on a different console.
Thats not what I said. Maybe in general people aren't interested in the Dead Space IP. I'm not saying this decision is a good one either.

happyfunball said:
Dead Space on Wii may not have sold like crazy no matter what genre but I think they have doomed it to failure with their poor decisions no matter how much love they put into it.
Don't know. We'll have to see it when it comes out right?

Haunted

Metal Gear?! said:
More like most awesome. The US boxart ruins it by losing the scared faces.

33lcaiv.jpg
25657125.jpg
So awesome. :lol

Also, the changes to the woman's face in the US cover makes the art look a bit more professional. It's toned down the campiness a bit - which can be either a good or a bad thing, I guess. :lol

Cow Mengde said:
Sign me up on the not buying camp.

We should boycott Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles too. What's Capcom gonna do? Cancel the PS1 ports or RE2 and RE3?
Monster Hunter Tri becomes a PSP exclusive. You know they're looking for the right excuse.

JRW

Are people actually looking forward to this game? Dead space on much lesser hardware and @ 480P?

It's Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop all over again.

MWCShay

A game like Cursed Mountain with a ton of effort put into it by a smaller developer is getting overlooked. While this game because it's by EA and has the name Dead Space on it, is just getting to much attention.

I actually hope the game does good, I won't be buying it but I didn't like Dead Space on 360 being the reason. I'll admit I liked REUC but most of that was from loving the RE universe.

This game, even if it may not be the case, just seems so halfassed. Once something has a perception it's hard for it to shake it.

MWCShay said:
A game like Cursed Mountain with a ton of effort put into it by a smaller developer is getting overlooked. While this game because it's by EA and has the name Dead Space on it, is just getting to much attention.

This game, even if it may not be the case, just seems so halfassed. Once something has a perception it's hard for it to shake it.

Ditto!

Plus, EA is very desperate at trying to hide the on-rails stigma.

Whatever you do, don't call Dead Space: Extraction an on-rails shooter. Its development team would much rather you referred to it as a 'guided first-person experience', presumably because you're not actually physically bolted to pretend train tracks. If, like us, you do, you might get attacked by a glowstick wielding code monkey.

That was the very first paragraph from ONM's preview.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=9703

Haunted

I'm not really sure what that "guided experience" marketing speak entails exactly. How is it different from your regular lightgun shooter gameplay?

donny2112

Haunted said:
I'm not really sure what that "guided experience" marketing speak entails exactly. How is it different from your regular lightgun shooter gameplay?

Maybe it's like Sin & Punishment in first-person? Basically, you do the moving forward when you decide, but you can still only really go in one direction?

donny2112 said:
Maybe it's like Sin & Punishment in first-person? Basically, you do the moving forward when you decide, but you can still only really go in one direction?

More like a light-gun shooter in the RE:UC style. Slower-paced to create "mood" and lengthen game time.

Haunted

donny2112 said:
Well, that would be pretty similar to DQ:S.

I mean, they're hyping this up to be something different from everything else, but I don't really see what that would be.

Moving the camera to broaden your field of view was in HotD: Overkill, going into cover with the press of a button is a lightgun games staple, moving the character on-rails has been in DQ:S and other on-rails games (d'oh). It really does sound like an empty buzzword and nothing else at this point.

ShockingAlberto said:
Curious.

The developer name is on the US box (which I thought Nintendo didn't allow), but the logo isn't.
I don't see how Nintendo could reasonably claim to have any say on what logos go on a box published by a different company. I mean, I suppose theoretically they could make it part of the licensing agreement, but that would be an amazingly assholish thing to do for no actual purpose whatsoever. Nintendo never credits developers on the front of Nintendo-published games, but that's Nintendo's own choice.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
extraction may turn out good, or utter shit, or anything inbetween. regardless, i'll be among the first to admit that (i was hyped for overkill but that did not stop me from critisizing the game after playing it). hating on a game for not being something one would rather see it be is rather stupid, though.

and stop bringing re4wii as an example. it was as safe a bet as they come on capcom's part - a low-effort up-port (for the ps2 part, otherwise a verbatim copy) of the game of the generation with a new control scheme. dead space does not enjoy such a stature - why would EA go full-out with a lukewarmly-received original to a foreign platform? just so that a few gaffers would say 'EA gets it!'? yeah, sure.

i'd understand people passing on extraction if (a) they did not enojoy to the lightgun genre, or (b) were indifferent to dead space. but being both interested in dead space and not against lightgun shooters, and saying you'd boycot the game is quite frankly tantrum-like behavior. seriously, if you want so much a dead space 3rd person, full-control game - there's already one out, and you know where to find it.

Mdk7

I was very impressed by this game at E3.
It's good, the atmosphere is there and the whole experience totally feels like Dead Space.
Day one for me.

donny2112

blu said:
why would EA go full-out with a lukewarmly-received original to a foreign platform? just so that a few gaffers would say 'EA gets it!'?

Isn't that the reason they put out the new IP in the first place? Sure, they wanted sales to accompany that, but wasn't part of the reason to get the press/core gamer to say "EA gets it!"? They had gotten derided for continually putting out licensed-property sequels, so they wanted to put out new IP that would review well with the core gamer. They wanted the core gamer to say "EA gets it!", and they got that. Why wouldn't they want that from the Wii core gamer, too?

blu said:
seriously, if you want so much a dead space 3rd person, full-control game - there's already one out, and you know where to find it.

Really? There's an RE4:Wii control version out that doesn't require me to buy a new PC to run it? Point me the way!

JRW said:
It's Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop all over again.

It's the opposite of Chop Til You Drop. It's a completely new game, not some massively downgraded rehash.

The Chop Til You Drop treatment is what some misguided people actually wanted for this game.

Alcibiades

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The Chop Til You Drop treatment is what some misguided people actually wanted for this game.
Can you pinpoint a single person that wanted an outsourced rush job port of the first game rather than an in-house, 50-100 man team with 2-3 years of development time for a Wii version?

Yes, a lot of Wii-only owners wanted a port. No, nobody wanted the Chop Til You Drop treatment.

Alcibiades said:
Can you pinpoint a single person that wanted an outsourced rush job port of the first game rather than an in-house, 50-100 man team with 2-3 years of development time for a Wii version?

Throwing 100 men for three years at a Wii version of a mature 360/PS3/PC game that doesn't have the world "Resident" in the title seems like a great way to throw money away, but that's just my opinion.

And it would still be a downgrade.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Throwing 100 men for three years at a Wii version of a mature 360/PS3/PC game that doesn't have the world "Resident" in the title seems like a great way to throw money away, but that's just my opinion.

Visual downgrade

Control upgrade

Like COD:WaW.

Alcibiades

beermonkey@tehbias said:

maybe it would be throwing money away, maybe it wouldn't, we'll never know because third parties refuse to try...

that said, nobody wanted a low-budget, rushed port like Chop 'Till You Drop, which is what some people people... why would anybody want that?

a downgraded would be fine if it was 90% identical (everything the same with top notch graphics relative to other Wii games)... people accept downgraded ports from PC to 360/PS3 all the time and it's fine because they are serious efforts by third parties and not cheap cash-in attempts...

happyfunball said:
Visual downgrade

Control upgrade

Like COD:WaW.

Tell you what, I'll rent WaW for Wii and give it a fair shake. I finished the nextgen version, so it's a good title for me to compare.

Alcibiades said:
maybe it would be throwing money away, maybe it wouldn't, we'll never know because third parties refuse to try...

Third parties are trying. Madworld?

What M-rated Wii game that isn't Resident Evil was a smashing success? Yeah, Dead Space is an existing IP, but it didn't sell great on the first platforms.

Alcibiades said:
people accept downgraded ports from PC to 360/PS3 all the time

That's not on the same magnitude as going down to Wii (and given the actual PCs that many gamers have, it isn't always a downgrade at all).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
El-Suave said:
Controls Doc:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/controls-doc-dead-space/52359

The game looks sweet, but this movie has me a bit worried that there is some waggle involved that falls on the stupid side of the spectrum. Plus all of a sudden I'm pretty sceptical that this is much more of a two player game than I had thought so far.

I'm getting tired of every developer interview starting with something like "we wanted to use the unique capabilities of the Wii" and/or "this is an EXCLUSIVE title, built from the ground-up for the Wii!". I don't care! Make it a good game. Make it for every system known to man if you want. Just ensure that the Wii version is good. In fact, I'd rather they made the game for every system if that meant getting a game that's not a spin-off on the Wii, ugh.

Okay, sorry for the rant. The game doesn't look poor, really, it's just that we get that kind of speech for every third-party game and it's really annoying. There's an Overlord: Dark Legend demo video that suffers from the same bullshit.

What looks interesting is the part where the players have to alternate between puzzle solving and fending off the enemies.

nightez

Banned
This got really good previews at E3. I believe it was the IGN Wii editor's best game. So I'm really looking forward to it.

wrowa

Cow Mengde said:
Plus, EA is very desperate at trying to hide the on-rails stigma.
It makes me wonder why they even bother to develop an on-rails game if they want to hide that it's, well, an on-rails shooter.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I think it looks good. Obviously it's not HD, but in comparison to other Wii games trying to recreate a realistic look it's probably the best looking one.

Kastle

Neo Member
wrowa said:
It makes me wonder why they even bother to develop an on-rails game if they want to hide that it's, well, an on-rails shooter.

On-rails has a bad name with "true" gamers. I don't mind about that, there has been many fun and well-done on-rails shooters on Wii. Of course, it would be great if this one is scary too.

On the other hand, I liked Chop Till You Drop since it was pure tongue-in-cheek entertainment and nothing else. And I think it didn't try to be more than that, which is fine for me.

pakkit

Banned
Dead Space rocked, and I want to learn more about the story. I can already tell some of these fuckers in game are going to die brutally.

dankir

pakkit said:
Dead Space rocked, and I want to learn more about the story. I can already tell some of these fuckers in game are going to die brutally.

Well doesn't this take place before Dead Space... so doesn't everybody die brutally anyways?

pakkit

Banned
dankir said:
Well doesn't this take place before Dead Space... so doesn't everybody die brutally anyways?
Not necessarily... It's possible to fly away from the Ishimura, you know.

Also, I'd like to say that I have little to no doubt that we'll encounter
real
Nicole this game.

Scrubking

Kilrogg said:
I'm getting tired of every developer interview starting with something like "we wanted to use the unique capabilities of the Wii" and/or "this is an EXCLUSIVE title, built from the ground-up for the Wii!". I don't care! Make it a good game. Make it for every system known to man if you want. Just ensure that the Wii version is good. In fact, I'd rather they made the game for every system if that meant getting a game that's not a spin-off on the Wii, ugh.

Okay, sorry for the rant.

No. No need to apologize. They include that PR line because it's their way of saying you should buy the game even though it's not a real effort.

Just be happy they haven't taken the BS to Capcom levels by claiming chronicles games are REAL RE games.

Top Bottom