• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction (Wii - EA/Eurocom) Details, Trailer

Dascu

Graphic-wise, Resident Evil DSC looks quite a bit more impressive. This looks more interesting gameplay-wise though. Difficult choice for lightgun fans this Fall!

Did anyone else notice how one of the guys in that Controls video was named "Schofield" and another one "Bagwell"?

EmCeeGramr said:

Even as a Wii-only owner, I think this game just looks ugly. From the very noticeable dithering to the low-res texturing, DSC really puts this to shame. And really, it just gets more pathetic every time they try to say this is a "real" dead space game. Just reeks of desperation for acceptance of a spin-off.

happyfunball said:
Even as a Wii-only owner, I think this game just looks ugly. From the very noticeable dithering to the low-res texturing, DSC really puts this to shame. And really, it just gets more pathetic every time they try to say this is a "real" dead space game. Just reeks of desperation for acceptance of a spin-off.
Considering this game seems fun and DSC seems to be another boring UC, whatever.

The game looks pretty cool, but they really should have done themselves a favor and avoided showing the humans so much. The character models for them are weak, especially that woman who seems to pop up in every clip. Her visual design is atrocious in both concept and execution. It feels like something shoehorned in to remind you it's for the Wii or something. Why construct such a compelling universe then keep breaking the illusion with the awful looking protagonists? The helmet in the first game was badass. More of that please. The difference between the cover art for Dead Space and Extraction says it all.

lutheran

I want to play this game but much like the RE light gun games I would feel a lot better about them if my weapon was viewable onscreen instead of just some targeting reticule.

Sipowicz

Banned
i'm not really feeling this game. it looks like the dead space version of umbrella chronicles

i dont really want to see any more low budget, simplified, outsourced, genre hopping spinoffs of good games from EA

when it comes to wii, i'd love to see what one of their good internal teams could do. maybe a new ip or a game in an existing franchise that hasn't been bastardised in any way

happyfunball said:

I dunno, seems like a prequel to me. And I say this as a big fan of Dead Space.

Then again I didn't think RE4 was a "spin-off" just because they changed things up.

AniHawk

happyfunball said:

DSC plays like shit and Extraction is awesome.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dascu said:
Graphic-wise, Resident Evil DSC looks quite a bit more impressive. This looks more interesting gameplay-wise though. Difficult choice for lightgun fans this Fall!

the correct choice is to buy them all =)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Unless the reviews are somehow terrible, I'm definitely picking this up. I loved Dead Space and this looks great, and I'm always looking for more good multiplayer games.

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:

ehh

they seem very similar. they both seem very slow paced and have large distracting cursors. dead space seems to be nicking some stuff off house of the dead too like shaking the gun and choosing your path

it sounds like an outsourced, low budget piece of "lore" (like the cartoon and comics) at a high budget price. they even said they're trying to make it like a movie (which isn't hard in a lightgun shooter i guess)

i dont really know who they're aiming it at either. dual console owners who want more story from the universe?

lutheran

I don't see why they can't add in the gun graphic , I am sure it wouldn't be that difficult to make the game look even more like a FPS and just take away movement from the player. That damn cursor takes me right out of the game when I played the first RE shooter.

pakkit

Banned
Sipowicz said:
it sounds like an outsourced, low budget piece of "lore" (like the cartoon and comics) at a high budget price. they even said they're trying to make it like a movie (which isn't hard in a lightgun shooter i guess)
Okay, but...

a.) Anihawk has tried both games.

b.) It's by the original developer

c.) You have no idea if it's low budget (if you're being comparative, sure, but one's an HD game, and one isn't)

d.) Story-focused light shooters are a pretty new idea as far as the genre goes

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sipowicz said:
i dont really know who they're aiming it at either. dual console owners who want more story from the universe?

yes, them, as well as horror fans on the Wii and fans of lightgun shooters generally. I think it'll sell pretty well.

Sagitario

^ Nice...

The Wii has made several appearances in True Blood, BTW...

I really need to finish Dead Space (I think I'm on chapter 5, it has been several weeks since I last played it)...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Broadbandito said:
haha it was awesome. But so out of place?! lol Cant wait to fucking buy this and play it like a soul less person!
hey, product placement for ya! though it was probably pretty brilliant. it gives spotlight to the brand and grants mindshare to those who otherwise may not have known anything about it. good move imo.

though i'm still not buying this for two reasons, principle (i still refuse to buy UC and DSC, no matter how pretty. i DO need to buy OVERKILL though...) and sheer number of games i'll be buying this winter, from Muramasa to Modern Warfare Wii to Sky Crawlers. i can't even buy games i WANT like Cursed Mountain. i'm actually foregoing my purchase of a motorcycle this semester because i want to get rid of my credit card debt and use the rest of my money on a new graphics card and video games.

Kenka

Gamespot uploaded a boss battle video conducted by one of the developers. Smart video ahead :

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/deadspaceextraction/video/6217510/tots-demo-dead-space-extraction

Looks like a solid fast-paced on-rail shooter with plenty of movements dynamics. Liked a lot what I watched.

For the non-believers that did not play Dead Space,
this game is much different but, from what I saw, keeps the same atmosphere as the original game. As well, it is much more action-oriented. Otherwise, I don't see many differencies and I can only say that it is shaping to be as good, if not better, than the original game. Trust me I played Dead Space on PC

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
AniHawk said:

Yo Ani, do you know if it's possible to get rid of the cursor so to play lightgun-like?
I don't think you can do it in DSC but I fear for Extraction it'll be the same...

AniHawk

Dash Kappei said:
Yo Ani, do you know if it's possible to get rid of the cursor so to play lightgun-like?
I don't think you can do it in DSC but I fear for Extraction it'll be the same...

I don't think so. The way it controls now, it's kinda like Metroid Prime 3 on rails, anyway. You sorta need the cursor there to know how close you are to moving the camera.

batbeg

Soon, my precious. ...though I want somebody to co-op it with, so may put it off in lieu of singleplayer games instead...

doomed1 said:
though i'm still not buying this for two reasons, principle (i still refuse to buy UC and DSC, no matter how pretty. i DO need to buy OVERKILL though...) and sheer number of games i'll be buying this winter, from Muramasa to Modern Warfare Wii to Sky Crawlers. i can't even buy games i WANT like Cursed Mountain. i'm actually foregoing my purchase of a motorcycle this semester because i want to get rid of my credit card debt and use the rest of my money on a new graphics card and video games.

ahahaha.

Luigiv

ShockingAlberto said:
Does co-op mode have two actual people or is just two cursors and the game will treat it like one person with two reticules?
I believe the official story is co-op mode is the same character dual-wielding but I could be wrong on that.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
batbeg said:
laugh all you like, cause i'm still getting a fully featured FPS with dozens more hours than i would ever have gotten from DSC. anyway, good to see the devs are making the best out of it, even if it is an EA "test."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have to wonder, when it comes to Extraction, which decision came first; to develop for the Wii, or to develop a ‘guided experience’?

I ask because it’s pretty clear the developers love their franchise and want to take it down every avenue they can, and I can totally see them wanting to create an interactive controlled environment regardless of what platform, and ultimately deciding to head development on the Wii due to the success of previous ‘rail’ games on the system.

They didn’t necessarily think “Let’s make a Wii game…make it a rail shooter.” , but instead “Let’s make a focused, guided experience…let’s put it on the Wii”.

Sipowicz

Banned
Kenka said:
7 and 8.75 ? Not bad. Was expecting a bit more. Still good though.

great score

EatChildren said:
They didn’t necessarily think “Let’s make a Wii game…make it a rail shooter.” , but instead “Let’s make a focused, guided experience…let’s put it on the Wii”.

i seriously doubt they'd have ever put a an outsourced lightgun game on xbox/ps3 and then charged full price for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sipowicz said:
i seriously doubt they'd have ever put a an outsourced lightgun game on xbox/ps3 and then charged full price for it.

That's my point. People act like Visceral Games decided to make a Wii game first, and then chose to make it a lightgun game. What I'm saying is they may have wanted to make a more focused, streamlined game from the very begining before deciding what platform. They may have wanted to make a more story based heavily scripted game, and realised that it would be more expensive and possibly unnatractive to consumers on others systems.

Thus, decided on the Wii as the best platform for the game they wanted to develop.

And since when is it outsourced? Eurocom are not heading the development, as far as I'm aware. It's still mostly being developed by Visceral Games, yes?

Sipowicz

Banned
EatChildren said:
And since when is it outsourced? Eurocom are not heading the development, as far as I'm aware. It's still mostly being developed by Visceral Games, yes?

my understanding is that it's being developed by eurocom and there's a few "key members" from EA helping out. whatever that means

and once again i dont think this game would've existed if it weren't for the wii. i'm guessing they saw the success of the wii and they wanted to capitalise on it as cheaply/quickly as possible. hence arcade game made by eurocom

Scrubking

EatChildren said:
That's my point. People act like Visceral Games decided to make a Wii game first, and then chose to make it a lightgun game. What I'm saying is they may have wanted to make a more focused, streamlined game from the very begining before deciding what platform. They may have wanted to make a more story based heavily scripted game, and realised that it would be more expensive and possibly unnatractive to consumers on others systems.

Thus, decided on the Wii as the best platform for the game they wanted to develop.

EA wanted to put something on Wii so they had someone concoct this spinoff abortion of a game. Anyone who believes that this game came about for any other reason than "hey let's throw something quick and cheap at the Wii" is being incredibly naive.

EA has not changed their view that Wii is for casuals and "real" games go to the HD systems (and I don't expect it ever will).

Razien

Banned
pakkit said:
Okay, but...

b.) It's by the original developer

No it isn't. It is being done by Eurocom, with help of the team that made the original. Still, outsourced.

It almost proves the point that it is a low/mid budget game; if it wasn`t, they`d let the original studio do it (and would outsource Dante`s Inferno instead). Which again talks about the quality if the game too: if Eurocom is so capable, why not letting them handle the new IP while the team that created the Dead Space franchise makes this Dead Space game?

scitek

The game wasn't just invented after the original Dead Space was released, which seems to be the belief of some. This game's been in development since early '08, well before EA had any idea how the first would perform, so the notion that EA thought they would cash-in with a quick turnaround or whatever is kinda unfounded considering the first game disappointed them with its initial sales.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What frickin difference does it make?
If the game is good, it's good. Buy it, enjoy it. If it isnt good, move on with your gaming: there's plenty out there.

Speculating on the philosophy behind greenlighting a title? Does this really sway you're enjoyment of it? Save it for the 'this is another test' thread.

Top Bottom