• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space IGN Review

Kingpen

Hmm... gotta wait for some more reviews, but thinking this is turning into a fallout 3 pre-order since it is between the 2 games... Nothing against the quality of the game and I'll still pick it up later, just not up for a lot of back tracking (reminds me of Devil May Cry 4). I'll have saints row 2 to keep me pre-occupied anyway.

boco77 said:
Only 8.7?
Wasnt it getting "better than RE4" type reviews in other places?

It will be good but RE5 will walk all over it.

IGN boosts up review scores based on the how well the series or developer is known. Read the Saints Row 2 review where it is pretty much "SR2 compared to nostalgic GTA4 memories from a few months ago" where the guy says clunky lock-on is better than free aim.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Sweet, a new horror game for the missus and I.

I'll be selecting 'easy' difficulty.

Also, those with Insider: What's IGN's verdict on which platform is better? If they're the same I'll just buy the PS3 version, probably.

Zeliard

boco77 said:
Only 8.7?

The game at one point was looking like the most cookie-cutter, generic game imaginable. A pure product of focus groups. It's come a very long way.

mjc

Kingpen said:
Hmm... gotta wait for some more reviews, but thinking this is turning into a fallout 3 pre-order since it is between the 2 games... Nothing against the quality of the game and I'll still pick it up later, just not up for a lot of back tracking (reminds me of Devil May Cry 4). I'll have saints row 2 to keep me pre-occupied anyway.

To be fair, he does say the backtracking is acceptable. DMC4 was a total trainwreck.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
maxax said:
Who said there isn't a complete story in there? There are even additional graphic novels and an animated movie to expand the story of the game.

The possibility of a sequel doesn't mean that the story isn't conclusive, and even if it isn't that's not necesserily bad or speaks for lack of depth.

i hope you're right. but i've played too many games lately that would contradict this.

Don

Is there going to be a demo for this? The footage in the video review looks great but there are so many games coming out this year that I'm not sure if I will have time for this as well.

new game plus! awesome.

And about comparing the two console versions of the game, I haven't really seem slow down in the 360 versions like I have in the PS3 videos, but that could have been fixed up by now. Then again, I haven't seen 360 videos with as many enemies at the same time as I did in the IGN PS3 videos.

This just entered my must-buy list a few days ago. Good to see the favorable reviews so far.

Anyone making an official thread?

anddo0

Too many games :( I was kinda hoping this game would bomb:lol

But with the good review plus impressive showing in Qore. I may just have to pick this one up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
boco77 said:
Only 8.7?

I don't see how its standing next to the RE series is relevant outside of "the game plays similarly to RE4". You kids and your need to rank everything.

Wag

Don't forget to check out all the Animated Comics (6 parts), and the Deadspace: Downfall DVD/BLU-Ray which starts off right after and leads into the game.

Fizzle

dasupremeone said:
The 360 was

Didn't EA say they'd start making multiplatform games with PS3 as lead platform?

Did that mu'fucka just lie to our faces? TH 'FUCK are they thinking?

Danielsan

I hate that I've become part of this crowd but are there any visual differences between the PS3 and the 360 version? As a PS360 owner I kinda want the best possible experience also importing the PS3 version from Canada will save me €15 (not sure if the 360 version is region free).

Draft

I've replayed RE4 probably at least 12 times. No joke. Favorite game. Played it to death. Of those 12, 10 were probably Professional difficulty. Of those 12, 0 were New Game +. Because that shit isn't fun. The game is balanced around starting with a handgun and a couple boxes of ammo, not a maxed out shotgun and sniper rifle and bullet proof vest and half a dozen grenades.

However, lack of a quick 180 turn is critical. I'll shave a Goddamn point off for that alone. 180 turn just feels good, and is solid design. Oh well, always Dead Space 2.

Corrupt

a Master Ninja said:
Sorry if this is already common knowledge, but will there be a demo?
Seem there won't be

Andrew Green over at EA today let Xbox Evolved know that there "will be no demo" for Dead Space. Seems that, "the developers focused on the final game instead of a slice for demo to focus on quality."

I'm looking to be pretty surprised by this game. I've been on a blackout for this for a few months now so I don't know much more than its basic features.

I'm incredibly interested though. Complete real time involvement in a survival horror is absolutely necessary to me. You shouldn't be able to hide. The game sounds incredibly tense as well with difficult enemies that force you to use precision and to prioritize with no real way pause the action.

Wag

Only bad thing is the game comes out Tues the 14th and the BLU doesn't come out until Tues the 28th! Who scheduled that?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
As a big fan of horror games I will give it a try, although I have this feeling it won't really be scary (enough). Hearing about the excellent sound design makes me slightly more hopeful, could add a lot to the atmosphere.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh yes this will be mine, since it always reminded of a "what if" The Thing meets Event Horizon.

Now which system should I get it for. I'd prefer the PC for textures and higher frame rates, but I don't have it going through my stereo. I want it for the PS3 for the audio, but I want it for the 360 for the controller...grrr decisions decisions.

Wag

sublime085 said:
Do you know when it will be airing on Starz?
I have no idea, but I think I'll be buying the BLU anyways as it has a DTS-MA lossless soundtrack and hidden codes and other extras (along with 1080p, which of course the Starz broadcast won't offer).

raYne

Arkaerial said:
Ooh yes this will be mine, since it always reminded of a "what if" The Thing meets Event Horizon.

Now which system should I get it for. I'd prefer the PC for textures and higher frame rates, but I don't have it going through my stereo. I want it for the PS3 for the audio, but I want it for the 360 for the controller...grrr decisions decisions.
Why do you people always do this?

Buy a wired 360 controller and use it on your PC.

No_Style

Anyone going all out with the Dead Space lore? There's the Blu-ray and novel coming...

I just checked Amazon.ca and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger and pick it up for $54.99...

Top Bottom