• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space IGN Review

imperium

MikeE21286 said:
TRU has buy 2 get 1 free 10/12-10/18....actually it's perfect timing.:D

Isn't the 10/12 - 10/18 TRU sale Wii only with the PS3/360 sale starting on the 19th? Or am I way off? I don't trust my local TRU to get either Dead `Space or Socom before the sale ends if it starts this weekend.

Jirotrom

U K Narayan said:
50th person to ask this.

Here, I'll answer your question.

The Xbox 360 version is on the Xbox 360.

The Playstation 3 version is on the Playstation 3.
No there is a difference... there is an exclusive XBOX 360 suit DLC.

Pretty upsetting that there is no demo. I thought a demo would be a no brainer after release since its a new ip. A demo would have have changed my mind getting it sooner rather than later. oh well will pick up sometime next year.

h3ro

Jirotrom said:
Nice, so they are even more different.

Yeah, the two suits are just palette swaps with the PS3 getting a blue/black suit and 360 getting a green/yellow one. I didn't see the suit on XBL yet, but I d/led the PS3 suit just incase... For those who are getting the PS3 version, I would d/l it now and not bother installing it. It stays in your d/l history so you can just re-d/l it when you finally get the game...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody preordered from GS/EB and got their code yet? Is this rig or whatever different from the DLC ones?

Philthy

Bodom78 said:
I would buy Dead Space for the UI alone :p

I was thinking this also. It looks really freaking cool, almost looks like they play a lot of Eve Online and then smooshed it all into a cool floaty GUI.

cool score. haven't really followed the game but I remember back at E3, it was one of my favourite games shown since the combat mechanic seemed pretty creative. looking forward to giving it a try when I get some time.

Momar

aka Ryder
I thought I was alone in the "Holy crap I hate scary games but I'm totally gonna force myself to charge through this game" feeling, but apparently not! When it releases, we should make a "Dead Space for wusses" thread where we can all post obscenities after screaming and turning off our console.

Foil

h3ro said:
For those who are getting the PS3 version, I would d/l it now and not bother installing it. It stays in your d/l history so you can just re-d/l it when you finally get the game...

Does it screw up if you install it before playing the game? I downloaded and installed it already.

eXistor

*sigh* this is just one of those games I want to play but just don't have the time for right now. On release day i'm already buying LBP, Fable 2 and Far Cry 2. The week after it's time for Fallout 3, Valkyria Chronicles and Castlevania: OoE. I'm still getting the game, but it's probably gonna be later rather than sooner.

BeeDog

Will most likely buy this game for the PS3, if it turns out to be really comparable to the 360 version. Otherwise, it's the PC version. :D Game looks awesome, and it was a while since I played a proper singleplayer game.

decon

Saw the free suit on PSN yesterday. Is there a free suit on the 360 too? I tend to buy PS3 games when on both the 360/PS3. Can't decide on this, I sort of like the 360 controller better for shooters, but the console makes so much noise! :(

Xater

Bliddo said:
Damn, I can't decide... 360 or ps3...

Doesn't look like there will be any major difference between the two versions. There are even trophies. Maybe you can decide by which of the downloadable suits you like better? :lol

Cdammen

I'm easily scared but I really want to play this game... what to do, what to do :(

But hey, people said that BioShock was a real fright but it didn't bother me a bit.

The_Dude

You know, thinking of recent examples, neither Resident Evil 4, both God of War games or Ninja Gaiden II allow you to start on a higher difficulty with all of your items/abilities from a previous playthrough on a lower difficulty. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it in those games, so why does it seem to be a problem in Dead Space?

The_Dude said:
You know, thinking of recent examples, neither Resident Evil 4, both God of War games or Ninja Gaiden II allow you to start on a higher difficulty with all of your items/abilities from a previous playthrough on a lower difficulty. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it in those games, so why does it seem to be a problem in Dead Space?

To me it's a weird issue, I don't know if I've ever even done that. If I go to a higher difficulty, it's because I want to be challenged.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can perhaps see one benefit of starting a New Game + on a new difficulty level. Depending on the balancing of the difficulty levels, starting a "Normal" New Game + on "Hard" would allow for the player to play the earlier sections of the game with all his/her new toys and still maintain a challenge.

In other words, it would be like the game never finished, you can have one long difficulty curve spanning multiple playthroughs.

It sounds good in theory but it would be a balancing nightmare.

Bliddo

Xater said:
Doesn't look like there will be any major difference between the two versions. There are even trophies. Maybe you can decide by which of the downloadable suits you like better? :lol
lol
Guess I'll go with the 360... so I can keep Dead Space disk in the 360 and LBP in the ps3 without switching. Lazyness wins

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
IGN posted an Insider-only head-to-head between both versions.

Overall they declare both game equal, no version being preferable to the other (that incudes graphics, audio) except for the PS3 having slightly shorter load times after death.

They basically say buy it for whatever console you feel like. Take that as you will.

Danielsan

Seeing as there are apparently hardly any differences or none a all I guess I'll go with the PS3 version. I can shave of 15-20 bucks by ordering from Canada and I won't have my 360's loud disc drive interrupting the quiet parts of the game. I do kinda prefer the 360 pad for shooter but ehh it's a crowded holiday season and shit is expensive enough as it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
stuburns said:
Score is kind of what I expected, backtracking is heart breaking though.
Can we not get a big gaming census that bans that from now on?
That would be unfortunate as some of us actually ENJOY backtracking. It helps create a sense of place and increases the immersion in the world. Linear action games that always move forward lose that feeling.

bigswords

Hmm is the game coming out on the 14th Oct? But the weird thing is that at the end of all the animated comics state that the date "21st Oct".

Danielsan

dark10x said:
That would be unfortunate as some of us actually ENJOY backtracking. It helps create a sense of place and increases the immersion in the world. Linear action games that always move forward lose that feeling.
Backtrackers unite! :D

bigswords said:
Hmm is the game coming out on the 14th Oct? But the weird thing is that all the animated comics all state that the date 21st Oct.
The game got bumped ahead due to the crowded release schedule.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's the 14th in the US.

Is the AU date still the 23rd?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kadey said:
Anybody preordered from GS/EB and got their code yet? Is this rig or whatever different from the DLC ones?

code? Scorpion skin, cool now I won't have to buy it online.

Top Bottom