• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like that isaac just doesnt jump from surface to surface in zero g, but can fly around
Which is makes much more sense, they are astronaut engineers, they should able to move around in zero g much smoothly than just jumping on surface.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Easily! I loved original Dead Space but this remake made game better in every way from, story to combat and even entire level design in Ishamura. I liked so much that as soon as I finished the game I started new game +.
95074672-0-E55-46-F9-8-BBC-9-DCB6-DC61387.jpg

Thanks man. I went ahead and got it. I want to see these new graphics on my expensive TV. 😊

Sound design is absolutely unreal on this, hearing them little bastards scuttling around the vents and having proper distance and that is amazing.
The 3D audio on PC with headphones ACTUALLY WORKS! I can tell if a baddie is behind-above vs ahead-above, down-to-the-right vs directly-to-the-right etc. Especially useful (and immersive) in a game like this when you need every detail to help with situational awareness.

Every game needs this from now on.

The 3D audio on PC with headphones ACTUALLY WORKS! I can tell if a baddie is behind-above vs ahead-above, down-to-the-right vs directly-to-the-right etc. Especially useful (and immersive) in a game like this when you need every detail to help with situational awareness.

Every game needs this from now on.

Most games already have 3D audio. Have you never played games before? Are you hearing all sounds in all games at the same level and from the same spot? Go and play Alien Isolation or any game from years ago. This aint something incredible or special.

Most games already have 3D audio. Have you never played games before? Are you hearing all sounds in all games at the same level and from the same spot? Go and play Alien Isolation or any game from years ago. This aint something incredible or special.
I had it turned on in Demons Souls on PS5, for example, and I couldnt calibrate where enemies were coming from to the extent I can in Dead Space. Not sure what's different but Dead Space gave me a better audio experience in this regard

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So I've come across a interesting glitch
dHIY8Qq.jpg
hD9UAxZ.jpg

Regarding the audio, the original had fantastic audio too and was 7.1 uncompressed on PS3.
so it's not surprising the Remake improves on this.

Last edited:
Lol i thought i was too stoned when i heard a girl whispering to isaac:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I'm pretty sure the voice that he hears is his mom. I like it when Isaac gets hurt and then you sprint with him you can hear the fatigue in his voice. Also, his voice changes depending on his health. So when he's talking with characters if his health is in red his voice will sound more distressed as opposed to when his health is in green.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it today and I know it was a long time ago when the original came out, but man, I forgot like 90% of the game. So it was like playing it for the first time all over again. Dead Space is a classic. Interested to see what they do for Dead Space 2 and 3 since they weren't nearly as popular as the first. Will they be just graphical upgrades or will they alter major things that players had issues with the first time?

I hate how you can't do everything in one playthrough though. Love the game, but not doing a new game+ just to fully upgrade a suit and get a better ending. It's always lame when games do stuff like that.

FeastYoEyes

I havent played the original in probably 10 years but I do not remember the
section on the Valor being so terrifying. The part where you get on the elevator and the battery flies out is crazy. The later in the game the better it gets for me.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve put a couple hours in. A minor gripe, I miss pressing the analog stick to land. Holy cow at the upgrades here. The darkness adds a lot to the game. I keep thinking back to Dead Space 2 where Isaac would stomp and go “mother f***er”.

This is a beautiful game. Dead Space 2 has you spoiled with giving you the vast majority of your inventory right there in the store for free. Here I dropped 10k credits on this new suit.

They’ve fleshed out these chapters. I swear I was chapter 6 in Dead Space 2 by the time Chapter 2 ends in the Remake.

Edder1

Some further observations about the remake:

• The game is just way too dark and you can barely see anything in some spots that have direct light sources right next to them. These dark environments are in contrast to game being even more action oriented than the original. You can't be making game with darker environments to make it scarier and then give players a ton of ammunition and less challenging enemies (read below)

• This ties in with my first point. Necromorphs in the original would almost always try to grab you and tear you apart when they were close to you, something that barely ever happens now. This gave you a sense of urgency and struggle to further induce the fear factor, something that is far more effective than just making game environments darker.

• There's a lack of weight when Isaac stomps and swings. In the original you could feel Isaac put his whole weight behind his punches and his stomps, an area that the remake severely suffers in. These weightier punches and stomps made the struggle and desperation far more realistic.

• Characters like Dr. Kyne and Dr. Mercer have been toned down to a point that they just don't have the impact that these characters had in the original. Kyne especially comes as weak and uninteresting compared to his original version. Mercer was far more of a villainous character in the original, something that was marked by his gruesome executiion of Temple.

• Isaac trying to save Kendra at the end makes no sense whatsoever after she betrayed him, killed Dr. Kyne and Cross Infront of his eyes and left him to die on Ishimura. Trying to have player be more sympathetic to Kendra and at the same make her a selfish murderer is just another proof that Motive cannot write good characters.

Overall I think Motive has missed the point of what made the original more of a survival horror and what made it creepy. They also missed the point of what made the original characters and their motives so impactful. The remake feels like a pretty vesion of the original without the creepiness, desperation and memorable characters that kept you on the edge of your seat. This remake is more of a Dead Space Light, EA Motive's toned down version for "modern audience".

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Had an interesting glitch on Chapter 5 on the PC. I'll keep it reasonably vague for spoilers but a cutscene triggers and your introduced to someone who has something else locked up tight in a vat. He then leaves and lets you play with his pet....except the pet wasn't there for me. I had to escape it but it never actually spawned.

Tomeru

I really don't get the audio praise. It doesn't sound amazing as people say. Im using a sennheiser game one on pc, and it sounds meh. Normal I guess. Any suggestions for this? I can't enable dts x for some reason - please recommend me something good to use in win11 (software).

I'm 6 hours in, just ejected levi, and and I proceed more and more into the game, it feels more and more like a chore. So many corridors and so many rooms - and no real sense of exploration. The only surprises is when I find a new weapon (to not use). I don't remember this much gear in the original. And soooo much upgrading. Honestly it's exhausting.

When I enter a room (or a corridor), I lift up my weapon prepared to fight - but its at a point where it feels like necromorph just get in the way of my objective. I just came here to flip a switch, why you gotta be like this? It doesn't feel like surviving. It feels annoying.

The ammo system is also annoying. The loop is, imo, stupid. Carry the weapons you want > kill > grab ammo. Rinse and repeat. You kill you stomp you collect. The gameplay loop is constantly paused to do minor stuff.

It's still a great game, but its cluttered to suffocation and doesn't flow as good in 2023 imo.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Here's a question from somebody on the fence: Is a certain unkillable enemy in the later chapters still in the remake and is the encounter any different than the original? I hate "bosses" like that and it was easily the worst part of the game for me, mostly the running away part while also having to wait a timer in locked rooms.

Nickolaidas

Here's a question from somebody on the fence: Is a certain unkillable enemy in the later chapters still in the remake and is the encounter any different than the original? I hate "bosses" like that and it was easily the worst part of the game for me, mostly the running away part while also having to wait a timer in locked rooms.
Yup, he is.

skneogaf

I really tried to hate it as the original is perfect but this remake is absolutely amazing!

Easily a 9/10 for me along side resident evil 2 remake and demon's souls remake.

Fingers crossed resident evil 4 remake will be as good.

Last edited:

Valt7786

He's still there but he shows up fairly early on, there's 1 running part that i can remember, then you deal with him. Doesn't show up again til one of the end chapters for a quick fight.

fatmarco

Just finished the game and while I really liked the open and connected level design, improved gameplay and rebalanced weapons and their systems, I just can't get over how much of a downgrade it is from a general "Acting" quality and characterization perspective, and maybe even from a narrative perspective.

Every single actor in the game is a literal downgrade acting quality wise (outside of Isaac). Not a single one of them has any intensity or fear in their voices, every single one sounds flat. They all sound roughly the same age (even though some characters like Kyne and Mathius are clearly meant to be old), and not just from the same country, but the same region, socio economic background. There's zero diversity and zero flavour. The new Hammond is atrocious compared to Peter Mensah in the original, and just comes across as naive and stupid rather than strong and level headed, and while Faran Tahir as Mercer is decent casting he is still a downgrade compared to the incredible Navid Negahban.

Kendra though perhaps is the biggest problem. You're meant to enjoy her being splattered at the end of the game, and as this is a remake, a large proportion of the player base will have played the original and will still hate her. Trying to humanise her and defuse her heel turn as being sympathetic or justified is severely damaging to the actual drama of the story as it robs us of a villain and therefore motivation. It feels like the game is fighting what the player actually feels in regards to her character, and there's no greater example of that then Isaac reaching out for her as she dies (Also that bizarre addition of another character at the end is just completely unnecessary).

I really don't get the audio praise. It doesn't sound amazing as people say. Im using a sennheiser game one on pc, and it sounds meh. Normal I guess. Any suggestions for this? I can't enable dts x for some reason - please recommend me something good to use in win11 (software).

I'm 6 hours in, just ejected levi, and and I proceed more and more into the game, it feels more and more like a chore. So many corridors and so many rooms - and no real sense of exploration. The only surprises is when I find a new weapon (to not use). I don't remember this much gear in the original. And soooo much upgrading. Honestly it's exhausting.

When I enter a room (or a corridor), I lift up my weapon prepared to fight - but its at a point where it feels like necromorph just get in the way of my objective. I just came here to flip a switch, why you gotta be like this? It doesn't feel like surviving. It feels annoying.

The ammo system is also annoying. The loop is, imo, stupid. Carry the weapons you want > kill > grab ammo. Rinse and repeat. You kill you stomp you collect. The gameplay loop is constantly paused to do minor stuff.

It's still a great game, but its cluttered to suffocation and doesn't flow as good in 2023 imo.
Agree with you except the audio which sounds way better than most games imo

Nickolaidas

He's still there but he shows up fairly early on, there's 1 running part that i can remember, then you deal with him. Doesn't show up again til one of the end chapters for a quick fight.
He shows up at exactly the same
Just finished the game and while I really liked the open and connected level design, improved gameplay and rebalanced weapons and their systems, I just can't get over how much of a downgrade it is from a general "Acting" quality and characterization perspective, and maybe even from a narrative perspective.

Every single actor in the game is a literal downgrade acting quality wise (outside of Isaac). Not a single one of them has any intensity or fear in their voices, every single one sounds flat. They all sound roughly the same age (even though some characters like Kyne and Mathius are clearly meant to be old), and not just from the same country, but the same region, socio economic background. There's zero diversity and zero flavour. The new Hammond is atrocious compared to Peter Mensah in the original, and just comes across as naive and stupid rather than strong and level headed, and while Faran Tahir as Mercer is decent casting he is still a downgrade compared to the incredible Navid Negahban.

Kendra though perhaps is the biggest problem. You're meant to enjoy her being splattered at the end of the game, and as this is a remake, a large proportion of the player base will have played the original and will still hate her. Trying to humanise her and defuse her heel turn as being sympathetic or justified is severely damaging to the actual drama of the story as it robs us of a villain and therefore motivation. It feels like the game is fighting what the player actually feels in regards to her character, and there's no greater example of that then Isaac reaching out for her as she dies (Also that bizarre addition of another character at the end is just completely unnecessary).
I've yet to beat the game but while I somewhat agree with the side-characters sounding less ... lively, I liked the fact that Kendra wasn't at Hammond's throat from the get-go as if literally trying to make a scene. I would prefer it if they were a little LESS casual, something in-between the original and the remake.

fatmarco

He shows up at exactly the same

I've yet to beat the game but while I somewhat agree with the side-characters sounding less ... lively, I liked the fact that Kendra wasn't at Hammond's throat from the get-go as if literally trying to make a scene. I would prefer it if they were a little LESS casual, something in-between the original and the remake.
I think the point remains though that none of them feel like the are voicing their characters in way that feel realistic or authentic to the context they're in.

Their emotional range is barely beyond the intensity you'd have for the detectives on a criminal procedural drama on TV, and all of this is let alone the fact that the marker is meant to be infecting their brain and creating even more fear. They're barely phased by the fact they've just survived alien monsters, and this is really evident in Hammond's performance early in the game.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I think the point remains though that none of them feel like the are voicing their characters in way that feel realistic or authentic to the context they're in.

Their emotional range is barely beyond the intensity you'd have for the detectives on a criminal procedural drama on TV, and all of this is let alone the fact that the marker is meant to be infecting their brain and creating even more fear. They're barely phased by the fact they've just survived alien monsters, and this is really evident in Hammond's performance early in the game.
Oh I'm not refuting your argument, I agree. The voice acting in the original was better, except from Isaac, as you've correctly said.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So past the
Leviathan
and I'm loving this remake, the added scenes are great and give Isaac a bit more character than the original
I fucking hated that fight.

Great remake overall and I greatly appreciate them bringing back Gunner Wright to voice Isaac Clarke. Them giving him a voice was a brilliant move. It wasn't overdone.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The game is not at all designed around first person view.
He didn't say just having the view toggle. He said mode, which would obviously have to have some changes.

A lot more games work in first person than people realize, as seen by the many mods.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He didn't say just having the view toggle. He said mode, which would obviously have to have some changes.

A lot more games work in first person than people realize, as seen by the many mods.
I don’t see it with Dead Space, especially how HUD works, level design and zero gravity.

I don’t get this obsession turning every game in first person. I like Dead Space exactly because it’s one of the best 3rd person survival horror games out there.

SCB3

I don’t see it with Dead Space, especially how HUD works, level design and zero gravity.

I don’t get this obsession turning every game in first person. I like Dead Space exactly because it’s one of the best 3rd person survival horror games out there.
Dead Space: Extraction worked really well on Wii and PS3, I'd like to see that game as a VR game tbh

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'd like to go for Impossible mode, but I died in a glitchy-type way on my playthrough. If that happened and my save reset, I'd be furious.

It's actually not that hard, you just need to make sure you quit the game before the death animation finishes. The game lingers on the death animation for a good long for 10 seconds so you have a long time to quit out.

Top Bottom