• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing some DS while waiting for my copy of Star Ocean to deliver. It's such a good game, very easy to pick up and play as well.

98QgHSi.jpeg

zyxbQ7X.jpeg

JtCTQyk.jpeg

ObUpbFV.jpeg

2j6aqfR.jpeg

bXNPiFk.jpeg

CPrTjWk.jpeg

skneogaf

Nice to see dead space remake on the front page again.

A reminder that motive studio and EA have completely abandoned the pc version of the game that has annoying traversal stutters.

The game is amazing but damn I wish the stutters were fixed.

Currently playing this myself. Like a trip down memory lane. Solid game and fun story. I'm glad I went with hard difficulty as I don't think normal mode would be as intense. Does anyone know if the devs are committed to remaking DS2 also?

rofif

Banned
If they EVER make Dead Space 4, then they need to take a leaf out of the Alan Wake 2 book...
I feel personally attacked lol.
AW2 got almost no gameplay, bad pacing, wokeness galore and it's just.... barely a game. I liked it well enough but it's not something I want for Dead Space
You mean they should add terrible pacing issues, shitty stock gunplay, minimal enemy variety, awful boss fights and a downgraded crappy inventory system?

Great idea
exactly.

Jesb

I’m playing this on the xcloud on the iPhone with backbone controller and it’s such a great game that I remembered. It’s been so long that I probably can’t pin point what they made better.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Such an amazing game! But i agree --> shame they never took care the stuttering issues on PC 😞
It's up to future CPUs / GPUs to brute force that shit, Pretty much the same story as with Arkham Knight at the time of release and after a dozen patches.

BigLee74

Nearly completed my play through of this. Looks great, but it simply plays OK. Nowhere near as good as I remembered it.

And every time I open a save station, it sounds like Gears of War - throws me!

It should win the award for Safest Remake of the Year

This.

Finished my playthrough on hard the other day and...I enjoyed it, thing is, this is more of a testament to how good the original still is compared to the "work" they did with the remake.

The much touted new dismemberment system/graphics are really nothing to write home about (in fact, in the thick of the action it's something that you don't even notice), the fresh coat of paint/shinier gfx are also nothing special in 2023, some re-done art (posters/ user Interface) are actually worse and look amateurish with the various QOL things being the only "standouts".

It's still a good, 8/10 game but I expected something more - especially when compared to RE4RE which actually introduced new things/mechanics, trimmed some fat here etc etc.

This Remake was completely unnecessary IMO, they could have just released a remaster at native 4K60Hz for half the price since the OG still looks good.
At 70 eurodollars though that this was sold at...I just don't know, I paid 1 Eurodollar for it via EA play promotion and by the end I thought "is this it ?".

I'm actually surprised that this received the praise it did - especially on NeoGAF where everyone is just jaded - then again, like I said before, this just goes to show that the original game is still good and the new coat of paint just makes things better.

The game is still an 8, 8.5/10, as far as remakes go though it's a 7 for me.

Last edited:

Sulaco

I was put off by all the comments about PC stuttering but I tried it out on gamepass found it was only in the first 30 minutes of the game. After that there was very little stuttering. About to start my new-game-plus. Amazing game!

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This.

Finished my playthrough on hard the other day and...I enjoyed it, thing is, this is more of a testament of how good the original still is compared to the "work" they did with the remake.

The much touted new dismemberment system/graphics are really nothing to write home about (in fact, in the thick of the action it's something that you don't even notice), the fresh coat of paint/shinier gfx are also nothing special in 2023, some re-done art (posters/ user Interface) are actually worse and look amateurish with the various QOL things being the only "standouts".

It's still a good, 8/10 game but I expected something more - especially when compared to RE4RE which actually introduced new things/mechanics, trimmed some fat here etc etc.

This Remake was completely uneccesay IMO, they could just have released a remaster at native 4K60Hz for half the price since the OG still looks good.
At 70 eurodollars though that this was sold at...I just don't know, I payed 1 Eurodollar for it via EA play promotion and by the end I thought "is this it ?".

I'm actually surprised that this received the praise it did - especially on NeoGAF where everyone is just jaded - then again, like I said before, this just goes to show that the original game is still good and the new coat of paint makes.things better.

The game is still an 8, 8.5/10, as far as remakes go though it's a 7 for me.

Agree with every single thing you said. Couldnt have said it any better. Which is why i condensed it into that single sentence lol

It's why I hold higher regard for Callisto (even though I hate comparing the two, even though its impossible not to). That game at least took some risks and tried to do something different in a similar setting.

And yeah as far as remakes go, and as much as I despise catchy internet jargon, I think this particular one is about as mid as it gets

In short, I say save your money. Stick with the OG.

Diddy X

I'm playing it for the first time I think it's a good game but nothing special, still I could replay it on a harder difficulty after I beat it on normal, I'm sure it's gonna be more intense.

Krieger

Just got the platinum trophy. Fantastic game and remake. The backtracking, new side missions to give more lore and the intensity director were well done.
Let's hope EA doesn't shit the bed and allows Motive to remake Dead Space 2.

What a good game and remake--even though not too much was altered from the original except for the graphics.

Goes to show that a good game is timeless. I say give me more remakes to put a modern sheen on solid games. A Bioshock remake done like this one was would be one of the GOATs.

WitchHunter

I was thinking about this game yesterday, and I remember that I played each game, finished it, but can't recall shit from the story and the setting. And that's a red flag :D.

Ywap

What a good game and remake--even though not too much was altered from the original except for the graphics.

Goes to show that a good game is timeless. I say give me more remakes to put a modern sheen on solid games. A Bioshock remake done like this one was would be one of the GOATs.
Yeah, i agree. Although 3 is my favourite Dead Space this remake of the first one is awesome (- the minor stuttering on PC)

Like you i would love to see Bioshock get the same treatment 🙌

Last edited:
Yeah, i agree. Although 3 is my favourite Dead Space this remake of the first one is awesome (- the minor stuttering on PC)

Like you i would love to see Bioshock get the same treatment 🙌
Why was the 3rd your favorite? Other than having a good time with a buddy, I can't imagine ever playing that again.

Kssio_Aug

Damn... This Remake is looking good! I was missing that, but I think I will try it one of these days, while it's on Game Pass.

Ywap

Why was the 3rd your favorite? Other than having a good time with a buddy, I can't imagine ever playing that again.
I have fond memories of it being a very challenging on the hardest difficulty combined with great atmosphere. Loved the anti gravity and snow environments too.

I got some The Thing vibes from it as well 👍

Last edited:
I have fond memories of it being a very challenging on the hardest difficulty combined with great atmosphere. Loved the anti gravity and snow environments too.

I got some The Thing vibes from it as well 👍
The Thing is probably my favorite movie of all time.

Now that you've incepted that into my mind... I kind of want to replay DS3 now. I remember playing it with a buddy and having a good time, but I never thought about the The Thing while I was playing it because of how action focused it is was and playing it coop pretty much killed all tension. But it's been so many years, I should give it a shot again by myself.

Top Bottom