• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

Trying to play Dead space 2 (Xbox360 version) after finishing the amazing Dead space 1 remake, and I can't get into it. Game plays exactly the same, but graphics look so dated compared with the remake that I'm having a hard time trying to enjoy it. I want a Dead Space 2 remake đŸ˜Ș
Play it on PC, it looks and runs much better, just dont use ingame vsync because it limit performance to 30fps.

Last edited:
Hearing about the image quality kind of sucks. And I wonder why people are giving some high ratings here. Maybe gfx aren't everything, but it's gotta at least look good quality wise to be considered amazing.

I never played the DS series, but will give this a try at some point.
Overall game looks amazing (lighting and assets quality), but picture quality is soft. Maybe that was the intention, because remake looks like a film.

For example Isaac suit has insane amount of details, but these details arnt razor sharp even from up close. Running the game at native (instead of FSR) and downscaling helps a lot though.

Here's how picture quality looks with TAA and dowscaling, but keep in mind these are SDR screenshots, so there's a lot of black crush that's not there in HDR (In HDR you can play this game even without a flashlight).

a2.jpg

a7.jpg

a4.jpg

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Thank god they've adden an option to equip different level suits via store in todays update, cuz goddamn level 6 one in NG+ is awful af, but now I can buy it, upgrade it and remove it from Isaac forever and equip level 5.
l0imIQa.jpg

Dead Space Update 1.005 Patch Notes:​

• Steam Deck Improvements
  • The game will now recognise if the player has collected the Crew Quarters key card before reaching Chapter 10 and getting the objective ‘Find the Crew Deck key’. —-> If you’re loading a save where you were already in this state and the game doesn’t update, travel away from the area (60 seconds approx.) and return, the game should then update.
  • The door to the security station will properly unlock after the call from Daniels ends during the objective ‘Locate the source of the broadcast. —-> If upon loading a save the door is still in standby, ride the tram to another station and back, wait 30 seconds and the door will unlock.
  • You will no longer be able to launch the asteroid without first destroying the gravity tethers, preventing them from getting stuck. —-> If upon loading a game where you are already stuck, the game will update if the player has destroyed the mining tethers. If you have not destroyed the mining tethers, you should do this, then the game will update.
  • Fixed Dr. Kyne not spawning inside Chief Steward’s office. —-> Will be fixed if the current objective is scrambled with unitologist symbols. Go back to the Cantina, then come back to Hunter fight room. This should trigger the proper quest flow. Then follow the quest markers until you reach Kyne’s sequence.
  • We now allow for the previous suit visual to be equipped —-> Previously acquired suit visuals are available in Storage and can be equipped by selecting them and choosing the “Equip” action. To remove a cosmetic, choose the currently equipped cosmetic suit, from the Storage, and select the “Unequip” option. Changing the cosmetic aspect of a suit does not impact the upgrades you have acquired. Suits are granted as such: Purchase level 2 -> Acquire level 1 cosmetic, Purchase level 3 -> Acquire level 2 cosmetic, etc
 For saves where you’ve already acquired specific suit upgrades, the player will be automatically awarded the cosmetics in his Storage.
  • Enabled HDR10+
  • A few other fixes that may help overall, keep us posted here once you’ve updated your game and spent some time with it.
Now, Photo Mode please and new difficulty level above Hard.

Last edited:

Vick

Thank god they've adden an option to equip different level suits via store in todays update, cuz goddamn level 6 one in NG+ is awful af, but now I can buy it, upgrade it and remove it from Isaac forever and equip level 5.
l0imIQa.jpg

Now, Photo Mode please and new difficulty level above Hard.
Great news!
On Reddit however they're destroying Motive for the still unfixed stuttering mess PC.

Game also won player's choice on PlayStation, which could hopefully lead to additional sales.

5501092e783475fbb71bee25d87132b8a346fdd2.jpg

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
On Reddit however they're destroying Motive for the still unfixed stuttering mess PC.
Well, removing cache still works... a bit, but yeah, they need to fix huge memory usage spikes during certain scenes and of course reduce VRAM requirements somehow for 8-10GB GPUs.
Returnal runs way better @ 4K DLSS even though it's using UE4 and requires almost 10+GBs of VRAM with RT enabled - games using different engines, yes, but UE4 is universally bad on PC, unless it's The Coalition's game.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Trying to decide which system to get this for — PS5 or XSX. I think since they’re both similar performance-wise it comes down to DualSense support. How good is it? Is it on AstroBot level, basic rumble, or something in between? Thanks!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Trying to decide which system to get this for — PS5 or XSX. I think since they’re both similar performance-wise it comes down to DualSense support. How good is it? Is it on AstroBot level, basic rumble, or something in between? Thanks!
It's really good. Not used overall as good as Astro's (seeing as that was meant to showcase it in every way), but really good still. Far beyond basic rumble.

Get it on PS5 for the DualSense features, it's worth it.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

The above poster obviously had a different experience than me. I don't think the dualsense features are much to write home about in thos title. I bought on PS over my Series X because of trophies, but looking back I should have just got it on my Series X. Then again without a side by side I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the two, but usually I go with whatever performs and looks better by default.

Golgo 13

The above poster obviously had a different experience than me. I don't think the dualsense features are much to write home about in thos title. I bought on PS over my Series X because of trophies, but looking back I should have just got it on my Series X. Then again without a side by side I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the two, but usually I go with whatever performs and looks better by default.
So you’re saying the Dualsense features in Dead Space are pretty basic and not noteworthy at all?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Get it on PS5 for the DualSense features, it's worth it.
Hopefully Motive or modders will eventually add DualSense haptic feedback features to PC version, which is already half-way there and supports DualSense natively.

Last edited:

Vick

Not sure if there was before the latest update, but I just now found an option to get rid of those ugly input prompts when in Zero G and next to lockers and such. Game is much more immersive now.

Love this Remake so damn much, would kill for an hefty DLC/Expansion.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Not sure if there was before the latest update, but I just now found an option to get rid of those ugly input prompts when in Zero G and next to lockers and such. Game is much more immersive now.

Love this Remake so damn much, would kill for an hefty DLC/Expansion.

As in the L1 and R1 prompts to take off in zero G? That fucking annoyed me so much considering the rest of the presentation is so clean. I love this remake too. It's one of the rare instances I prefer it to the original in almost every way. Hefty DLC / Expansion would be cool, but in praying for a Dead Space 2 remake.

Vick

As in the L1 and R1 prompts to take off in zero G?
Yes.
I actually have them on R1 and R2 so it was extra ugly before. Might sound weird but it's a much better solution paired with the DS2 Control scheme.

Hefty DLC / Expansion would be cool, but in praying for a Dead Space 2 remake.
Same, but not sure how a Dead Space 2 Remake would work. How can you make that game Metroidvania?
And if not, there wouldn't be any Intensity Director, which here helped immensely and still does in every playthrough at keeping things tense and fresh.

Assuming the game sold enough to greenlit a more expensive DS2 Remake (big if), I sure hope they'd find a way to make it much less linear/more interconnected.

As far as DLC/Expansion, I'd take a Dead Space Mobile Remake as DLC in a heartbeat.
Even better an Extraction one, although this would basically be a full game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I kinda agree with both of you, the Dualsense features are better in The Callisto Protocol.
But what's there is better then what Xbox has got so.... I'd say it's just better rumble.
But yes they are disappointing overall.
I think the most notable thing in Dead Space is you know when you're stepping in shit 😅

Last edited:

Vick

Just found this in my recommendations:

What a welcome surprise, followed Sydney for years so seeing her kick off a gaming channel with this Remake is amazing.

Tarin02543

How do you check the build version of the PC version? The ea app messed up my update and I had to repair my install, the latest digital signature on the .exe is February 17th so I think I'm good?

Golgo 13

Few hours in on PS5, loving the game so far. Currently playing on Fidelity mode, the visual upgrade is very noticeable. What is everyone’s thoughts on Performance Vs Fidelity modes?

TrebleShot

Few hours in on PS5, loving the game so far. Currently playing on Fidelity mode, the visual upgrade is very noticeable. What is everyone’s thoughts on Performance Vs Fidelity modes?
I finished the game on Perf mode on PS5, its softer of course but the gameplay is better. Of course it doesnt have the depth or sharpness of fidelity, have to say though the fidelity mode was a smooth 30 so I could have easily played on that mode. Perf though was good enough to impress visually and have smoother movement.

skneogaf

qocvqgm.jpg

The launch version did not say this about 3d audio, it said it was to do with headphones, not headphones and an av receiver!

Spatial sound is what dolby atmos and dts X use for object based audio.

I'm very glad they rewrote this as I was just using multichannel on my 11.2 setup.

👌👍🔊

Golgo 13

I think I’m gonna stick with Performance Mode. Combat and aiming is just so much better at 60FPS, makes the actual gameplay more enjoyable.

Just got to Chapter 4 and although it’s been 15 years since I’ve delved into the original, I’m pretty sure I’ve already experienced a few new sections - small but memorable detours. Also quite interesting that they’ve added special abilities to the weapons (!).

Golgo 13

qocvqgm.jpg

The launch version did not say this about 3d audio, it said it was to do with headphones, not headphones and an av receiver!

Spatial sound is what dolby atmos and dts X use for object based audio.

I'm very glad they rewrote this as I was just using multichannel on my 11.2 setup.

👌👍🔊
You really think 3D audio is worthwhile, or more gimmicky? I didn’t notice a big difference when I turned it on with my headphones đŸ€·đŸ»â€â™‚ïž

Trying to play Dead space 2 (Xbox360 version) after finishing the amazing Dead space 1 remake, and I can't get into it. Game plays exactly the same, but graphics look so dated compared with the remake that I'm having a hard time trying to enjoy it. I want a Dead Space 2 remake đŸ˜Ș
What the fuck are you talking about? Dead Space 2 still holds up well. Don't be such a graphics snob.

xrnzaaas

Just found this in my recommendations:

What a welcome surprise, followed Sydney for years so seeing her kick off a gaming channel with this Remake is amazing.

Meh, the video was cut in several places (beginning of the first chase, before entering the elevator) so it's not a bunch of proper reactions. Plus one moment she wonders not knowing what to do and the next moment she knows to use alt-fire or to smash the crates. Seems like a staged reaction clip for the clicks.

Knightime_X

I'm done with this game.
Only because I literally can't continue with a new game or NG+.

When I try to return to the main menu after the start-up autoload, I'm greeted with this screen.
To the left is Isaac except him and the background is entirely blacked out.

All I see is some kind of prompt that I can't fully make out. I can't push any keyboard or controller buttons.
Once this happens, my only option is to ALT+F4.

I am able to continue from last save, but that won't do me any good, because this will happen again after beating the game.

cEwmEy1.jpg

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I'm done with this game.
Only because I literally can't continue with a new game or NG+.

When I try to return to the main menu after the start-up autoload, I'm greeted with this screen.
To the left is Isaac except him and the background is entirely blacked out.

All I see is some kind of prompt that I can't fully make out. I can't push any keyboard or controller buttons.
Once this happens, my only option is to ALT+F4.

I am able to continue from last save, but that won't do me any good, because this will happen again after beating the game.

cEwmEy1.jpg

Just got an update on my PS5. Might get one on PC today to fix issues?

No patch notes as of yet

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Decided to dive into this game this weekend on Series X... is it just me, or does Performance mode look like 90% as sharp as Quality mode?

I know it's supposed to be 1440p vs native 4k, but usually it's super easy for me to tell the difference in clarity between the two and with this game they're very, very close.

Ambient occlusion is definitely much more effective in Quality mode, but other than that they're looking damn close to my eyes.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

Just found someone’s “Rig”. Found out these are just collectibles to get the master key? Man. Would’ve been so dope if you could actually find new suits.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Picked this up on PS5 and I totally regret it.

I get it's supposed to be dark but like it's hard to see most of the time. I just keep pressing R3 to follow the guiding line. Basically it's a pain in the ass to play in day time. Deleted it.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

skneogaf

I get it's supposed to be dark but like it's hard to see most of the time. I just keep pressing R3 to follow the guiding line. Basically it's a pain in the ass to play in day time. Deleted it.

Why don't you either adjust the brightness or ask us for help adjusting the brightness as we all can see just fine?

Cashon

Banned

Yeah, I think you just need to learn how to adjust your settings.

It *is* supposed to be dark in certain areas, but not so much that you can't see anything.

Glaucoma should be treated as soon as possible, your condition will only deteriorate over time, book an appointment with the optometrist ASAP.

How’s the PC version now? I’ve finished RE4 Remake and now don’t know what to do with myself and I loved the original Dead Space.

I watched some videos on the traversal stuttering and just normal gameplay and I can barely notice it.

Sleepwalker

How’s the PC version now? I’ve finished RE4 Remake and now don’t know what to do with myself and I loved the original Dead Space.

I watched some videos on the traversal stuttering and just normal gameplay and I can barely notice it.
Honestly pretty good aside from the mentioned stutters.

Sleepwalker

How do ps5 and pc versions compare nowadays?
The price is going down so it is time
Ps5 runs at 900 something p resolution upscaled to 1440p 60fps in performance, 1200p upscaled to 4k in quality. they did fix the image quality issues it had on release. Traversal stutter is present on consoles and PC but its very minimal.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Still not fixed and probably never will be. It's been almost 2 months with no updates. Stutters and VRAM leaks are here to stay.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ps5 runs at 900 something p resolution upscaled to 1440p 60fps in performance, 1200p upscaled to 4k in quality. they did fix the image quality issues it had on release. Traversal stutter is present on consoles and PC but its very minimal.

900P...are you serious?, does it look fine though? that sounds incredibly low. I was going to pick up on console too.

skneogaf

Pc version at native 4k, 120hz, vrr, hdr10, dolby atmos is worth it even if it isn't perfect due to the smallest of stutters in between each loaded area.

If the developers don't fix it I'm hoping a mod comes out that does.

I've tweeted the developers asking if they have plans to fix it but I have seen zero responses.

Top Bottom