• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding 2: On The Beach | State of Play Trailer

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Wish we had Mads in DS2 :(

You never know

There was a lack of Keanu in yesterdays trailer too. I guess it cant be Christmas every day.

Yv2RSrG.jpg

Hrk69

With every Death Stranding announcement my 'fan-made' trailer get a lot of views. Thank you Kojima!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Maaaaan, this game looks CRAZY and awesome. I still haven’t played the first (I was really turned off by the monotonous gameplay, which is a me problem), but with how interesting the sequel looks, I think I might need to give the first game another chance. That actually looked like some truly weird Kojima shit. I love the little puppet guy with the decimated animation.

Are there any PC mods or anything for the first game to reduce the amount of monotony, or just the game length in general? I know that’s a sacrilegious ask, but I just don’t have the time to get through the whole thing.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I tried the first one, but got bored fast. This trailer looked awesome though, but it does feel like I need to play the first one too fully enjoy it?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This is what genius looks like. Western developers think subverting expectations is genius. Nah this is it. Just random flairs of ingenuity.

Youngyea had a great reaction to the guitar fight with the cyborg ninja. He said ‘this is everything I’ve ever wanted, i just didn’t know it until i watched it. ‘

We are all wanting. But we are not artists and need someone like Kojima to fulfill our imagination.

StueyDuck

This is what genius looks like. Western developers think subverting expectations is genius. Nah this is it. Just random flairs of ingenuity.

Youngyea had a great reaction to the guitar fight with the cyborg ninja. He said ‘this is everything I’ve ever wanted, i just didn’t know it until i watched it. ‘

We are all wanting. But we are not artists and need someone like Kojima to fulfill our imagination.
This is what so many devs, mostly western, are failing to understand.

We aren't all gushing because it's "ooow so quirky" were gushing because it's like nothing we've seen before in gaming. It's unique, it's weird, it's different.

When I see all AAA games that released in 2023, it's all just the same shit we've seen over and over and over. This just tickles the imagination before release even. Is death stranding for everyone? No it isn't, but no one can deny the creativity and it truly being different to the same AAA sludge we get all the time.

vivftp

In DS1 it's the death/limbo/beach navigation. You'd die, then go first person in water to find your body and respawn

How that transfer lore wise to what we saw I have no idea.

When you go into the tar and wind up in limbo or the beach, people are blue. The ship they're on can go into the tar, which would be a way to tell when they're on the other side (blue) and when they're in the normal world (not blue)

leizzra

I'm wondering if there will be any Ray Tracing reflections in the game. For now there aren't any titles using Decima that have any RT solutions. I thought about it because two things - PS5 Pro and gameplay mechanics. I think that if the game won't have it form the start then probably Pro will not receive it also. It's a shame.

As for mechanics - playing Spider-Man 2, there is a section in the school where Peter can't be spotted. I though that it was a net thing when I've seen the person reflection in the window while not looking at him. I though then that RT can be used in some gameplay scenarios not only for visuals. Now after Kojima and Sony announced Physint I thought - stealth game could use this. It would be great if the enemy AI could also use this stuff (yet I'm not sure if it's doable from the code perspective).

SkylineRKR

DS1 was hate it or love it and I was in the second group. I cherish games like this. You can pretty much check every box in a new Uncharted, God of War, Spider Man or Horizon game, even though they are solid and feature rich products. They will come out, they will sell, don't worry.

Death Stranding was very different, with combat actually being advised against. Holding your breath to stealth you past invisible enemies, having to wiggle the baby to relax it. The building aspect and paving the way for easier travel. This game has so many unusual things, I loved it just for that.

I can't wait for Death Stranding 2. Kojima will always do something unusual or break the 4th wall.

EekTheKat

I think the music is absolutely on point here. Ludvig has been on point for pretty much every project with Kojima (the phantom pain theme lives on my phone pretty much), and it seems like it'll carry on with DS2.

The actors all look more comfortable here, and also seem to be having fun with the roles. Least Troy seems to having a great time with it.

Nice to see a lot of familiar names popping up in the credits from a lot of previous games. It's almost like Hideo was working on refining the toys he had with the first game so he can share them with those he worked with in the past.

Yuji Shimomura being involved in a big plus here, as that pretty much guarantees well choreographed jaw dropping action pieces.

Last edited:

K.N.W.

He specifically says "puppet of the new character", like the puppet is not the character, but only its representation! Maybe the real guy still exists, trapped on the beach or somewherer else. I know Kojima's english is not the best, but He's the kind of guy who would bank on that to give information cryptically.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Man I've played the OG for around 260 hours. Loved it.

Didn't understand the story so have to look that up.

Just the gameplay, graphics/design/characters and sheer amazing overall experience was amazing.

Plus it introduced me to Low Roar.

Regarding this trailer.

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Day one. Holy fucking shit I 💗'd it 🌸

Last edited:
The fact that he even had to explain this… 🤦‍♂️

The fact that he said "I dropped the framerate" when it was some random dev working on the game lol. The way he tweets I totally understand when people think Kojima is an indie developer, one guy alone in his bedroom pumping out AAA titles because he can do it all.

Wimbledon

This looks more exciting than the first game. I like the first game, but I've damn near skipped the cutscenes/exposition dump just to get back to the game.

StueyDuck

The fact that he said "I dropped the framerate" when it was some random dev working on the game lol. The way he tweets I totally understand when people think Kojima is an indie developer, one guy alone in his bedroom pumping out AAA titles because he can do it all.
Do you think that random dev just did it on their own free will or by Kojimas direction?

Pretending like Kojima does nothing or got to where he is by doing nothing and ordering people around is a bit disingenuous

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Literally the entire world: Smoking is bad for you bro, don't do it

Kojima:
afa1253190576f6ba29954ae39af58b4be16a7a4.gifv

Firstly. The creativity regarding those hands are speechless. And than that short scene which combined their utility and the facial expression from smoking. No words.

Ok one word: Bravo

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This may have looked cool but I have no idea if it would have done any damage with how little force he was putting behind it (unless the Guitar has capability to damage just by touch).
I just enjoyed it for how absurd it is. If you actually look at the combat choreography it's almost worse than The Last Jedi clips where all the enemies are missing Rey on purpose. You have this retarded guitar axe doing little jabs and then trying to what ... hit the guy's feet, or the ground? And you have the sword master with superior range actively backing up and holding his weapon away so he doesn't hit this guy's face while his weapon spends about 3 seconds flat on the ground right in front of him. I can't imagine anyone facing someone with a sword kneeling forward with their face at their waist level just wide open. Then this ridiculous guitar slide dodge. It's fun, it's silly, I enjoyed it, but the choreography was bad. When he is doing that big winding up hit for the power hit and the camera edits, the sword guy literally just has to hold it out straight in front of him to hit the guy.

Last edited:

RaduN

I just enjoyed it for how absurd it is. If you actually look at the combat choreography it's almost worse than The Last Jedi clips where all the enemies are missing Rey on purpose. You have this retarded guitar axe doing little jabs and then trying to what ... hit the guy's feet, or the ground? And you have the sword master with superior range actively backing up and holding his weapon away so he doesn't hit this guy's face while his weapon spends about 3 seconds flat on the ground right in front of him. Then this ridiculous guitar slide dodge. It's fun, it's silly, I enjoyed it, but the choreography was bad. When he is doing that big winding up hit for the power hit and the camera edits, the sword guy literally just has to hold it out straight in front of him to hit the guy.

If you played the 1st game you'd know that, while under the protection/blessing of the EE, Higgs had/has inhuman strength. He doesn't need to swing the weapon/quitar with too much momentum to cause insane damage.

Actually the choregraphy here is so detailed, that you can even see how much strength his quick jabs produce, in the moment his quitar connects with the sword and almost makes Grey Fox drop it.

It is obviously an uneven fight and they both know it. Fox probably just buys some time, as he clearly knows he is weaker.

Also this has to be some of the best Mo-Cap ever made in a realtime cutscene. The motion noise is non-existant. Mgs3 level, if not better.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you played the 1st game you'd know that, while under the protection/blessing of the EE, Higgs had/has inhuman strength. He doesn't need to swing the weapon/quitar with too much momentum to cause insane damage.

Actually the choregraphy here is so detailed, that you can even see how much strength his quick jabs produce, in the moment his quitar connects with the sword and almost makes Grey Fox drop it.

It is obviously an uneven fight and they both know it. Fox probably just buys some time, as he clearly knows he is weaker.

Also this has to be some of the best Mo-Cap ever made in a realtime cutscene. The motion noise is non-existant. Mgs3 level, if not better.
I bailed on the first one after 6 hours or so. I may try to play it again though. I was into the general art design and tone of the game enough to buy it day 1, but couldn't stick with it.

I didn't realize there's a power imbalance so I guess that helps explain it a bit. I didn't really care enough to mention it before, but saw someone else discussing it. I think it looks like two guys that are solid stunt martial artists just having fun, but not really the kind of memorable weapon choreography that feels believable to me. It's fine, it's obviously better than most games. But it feels a bit ridiculous if you've watched some HEMA videos breaking down fight scenes in movies and common choreography mistakes people make with weapons that are just really unbelievable. This is more like an action dance, and that's fine for what it is. Looks cool.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think death stranding was honestly good, the investment in good actors I loved the story. My concern is getting the inventory and traverse right.

I just enjoyed it for how absurd it is. If you actually look at the combat choreography it's almost worse than The Last Jedi clips where all the enemies are missing Rey on purpose. You have this retarded guitar axe doing little jabs and then trying to what ... hit the guy's feet, or the ground? And you have the sword master with superior range actively backing up and holding his weapon away so he doesn't hit this guy's face while his weapon spends about 3 seconds flat on the ground right in front of him. I can't imagine anyone facing someone with a sword kneeling forward with their face at their waist level just wide open. Then this ridiculous guitar slide dodge. It's fun, it's silly, I enjoyed it, but the choreography was bad. When he is doing that big winding up hit for the power hit and the camera edits, the sword guy literally just has to hold it out straight in front of him to hit the guy.

Yeah and with the super speed the swordmaster seems to be having he/she could have easily sliced him multiple times.

Do you think that random dev just did it on their own free will or by Kojimas direction?

Pretending like Kojima does nothing or got to where he is by doing nothing and ordering people around is a bit disingenuous
Don't put words in my mouth, I never said he does nothing. But don't be so daft to think ONLY HE comes up with these amazing ideas while the other 200 people are sheep with no input. Yes Kojima comes up with every single thing for all his games, he is Jesus reincarnated....please...guy is an egomaniac. I haven't seen ONE interview where he ever said "my team, our game".....its ME ME ME.

StueyDuck

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said he does nothing. But don't be so daft to think ONLY HE comes up with these amazing ideas while the other 200 people are sheep with no input. Yes Kojima comes up with every single thing for all his games, he is Jesus reincarnated....please...guy is an egomaniac. I haven't seen ONE interview where he ever said "my team, our game".....its ME ME ME.
I mean your talking point is silly. When he says "I made the framerate 20fps for the puppet" it's because he did, just because he didn't physically animate himself doesn't mean he didn't do it.

He is the game director, he has final say for everything. So if he decides the puppet is 20fps then that's what he did.

Stop acting like he's taking glory for everyone's work while doing nothing.

Steven Spielberg doesn't physically act or manually do the vfx for his movies but when he says "and then I decided to make the bad guy bleed more" he's not "stealing the glory" from the make up and prop department. Stop reading into things in a way that's not there, no one would work for him if he was awful and didn't appreciate his staffs work

gtabro

Quite excited for DeStr 2. I just hope there are longer treks with more planning and equipment needed. Once I "got" the gameplay loop of the first game I needed an even deeper and more treacherous Post-Apocalyptic Amazon Simulator experience.

About the trailer:
Was that a God of War Mimir reference? (below) Judging by the fact 2-3 other ppl here noticed, I think yes. I mean he even went to put the doll on the same side as Kratos has Mimir.
The giant hands from Elden Ring are back I see, welcome back old friend. (below)
Mark my words - The Joker x Guitar Hero will be the most ambitious crossover of 2025.
The new vistas look absolutely great.

Alexa, play Bring Me The Horizon - Ludens.

(Hope to fuck Bring Me The Horizon has a song in this game too. Ludens grew on me so effortlessly and Oli (the vocalist) is a huge fan of MGS and Kojima anyway, so please Kojima-san, do it again.)

8ithLDO.png

Ql1BRvE.png

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Unless it's an MGS2 fakeout, all the gameplay features Norman Reedus. I hope it's not a fakeout, honestly. I don't want to be switching characters. Maybe if there's a shared inventory.
In the scene it sounds like they are talking about her coming out of the tar... also she had puppet strings if you look extremely close.

Doubt it's going to be a playable character.

Top Bottom