• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeathSmiles getting US release

danmaku

Yes Boss! said:
Whoo-hoo!

MarkMan in a DS thread. Sounds like the NA release is gonna be fun.

MarkMan
loves Arcade Sticks
(Yesterday, 09:01 PM)
Reply | Quote

Sounds interesting...

for american GAFers...

1. When is it coming out?

2. Markman, any hint at it being region-free? Or at least published in Europe with a delay that isn't Blazblue.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wonder if this is going to be one of those hard-to-find Japanese to U.S. ported games, such as Battle Fantasia. I don't expect Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart/Etc. to be carrying this.

Llyranor

Wait, online co-op???? Was that in the JP version?

Now it especially needs to be region-free or localized for PAL! Could use some good shmup co-op with my UK buddy.

Llyranor said:
Wait, online co-op???? Was that in the JP version?

Yes.

And this definitely won't be region free if it has Mega Black Label on the disc, as the press release implies. That was and still is pricey DLC for the Japanese version (1200MS points), so they'll region lock it so Japanese can't import it.

ShinobiFist said:
A few people here called it(AKSYS)Good news indeed. Now Mark, Siemitsu edition stick? You know you want to.

I'd love to see a US release of TE stick with Deathsmiles artwork, but I imagine its waaaaay too niche for Madcatz to consider doing so. But I'd love to be proven wrong though!
Then I'd have to convince my wife to let buy a third 'stick, my PS3 SFIV TE and '360 HRAP EX-SE are already way too much for her liking!:loll

So yeah, Deathsmiles by Aksys. Day one purchase.

This pretty much solidifies that I HAVE to go through with my plans to make a Seimitsu stick, now. There's just too much shmuppage on the 360 to ignore it. :lol

t3nmilez

Wow, Aksys has brass balls to publish this in the States. Deathsmiles is a great game but it's gonna be a really hard sell for a variety of reasons. Oh well, anyone who considers themselves a fan of horizontal shooters needs to get this game, it's really quite excellent and easy to get into!

Angie Liu

Banned
I'll be getting both eventually, but as a Cave novice, which would be the better game to start off with: Deathsmiles or Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5? That is, which one is less likely to crush my fragile gaming ego under a hail of bullet-hell madness? :lol

Angie Liu said:
I'll be getting both eventually, but as a Cave novice, which would be the better game to start off with: Deathsmiles or Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5? That is, which one is less likely to crush my fragile gaming ego under a hail of bullet-hell madness? :lol

Others may disagree but I'd say Futari 1.5. It was the game that made me fall in love with shooters. Especially Black Label Original is a more or less easy 1CC if you learn a few patterns and practice.

Both Deathsmiles and Futari are low on the overall difficulty scale, but 1CCing Deathsmiles even on the easiest difficulty was harder for me than clearing Futari 1.5 Original. I also totally suck at Deathsmiles, so disclaimer. :lol

Daigoro

well i never did see this official announcement thread, so let me just say:

WHOO HOO!

and:

MarkMan said:
Dude seriously, wait til' you see what the publisher has planned for this US launch.

<3 x 1000

hooooooly shit. nuh uh!

hipgnosis

Great news this is getting localized! Hope this is getting released in Europe as well. Not a big fan of the lolita goth stuff, I would prefer space ships or something manlier. But it's a great game nonetheless so I shouldn't complain.

Daigoro

Rabbitwork said:
Agreed.

Not so much agreed. Can somebody just churn out a great looking space-themed shmup?

do they all have to be space-themed?

its just a different style. you dont have to buy the fuck pillow.

danmaku

Rabbitwork said:
Agreed.

Not so much agreed. Can somebody just churn out a great looking space-themed shmup?

Wait for Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu. If you don't mind the lolibosses (you see them only for a few seconds, anyway), it's space themed and it looks gorgeous.

Been cutting back my game purchases this year, but this is absolutely day one for me. I'm just happy I won't necessarily have to wait for Otakon to play it again.

jlevel13

In regards to the poster's question of which game to start with, Deathsmiles or Mushihimesama Futari... I mean this as no insult to DeathSmiles, but I think almost everybody would agree that Mushihimesama Futari is simply a better game. Both can be pretty tough, but the 360 versions of each have easy modes that should help a beginner player out. In particular with Mushihimesama Futari, the novice arrange mode (and probably all the arrange modes) could most likely be 1CCd by just about anybody on their first try. DeathSmiles has a very nice 3-tier adjustable challenge for each level, so if there's a level you're finding tough at tier 2 or 3, you can play through just that level on 1, though you get less points the less challenge you attempt. However, the last level (and the bonus level) in DeathSmiles have to be played on the hardest difficulty and they're quite hard.

Also the rumored US release date for DeathSmiles isn't until summer

depths20XX

This game is decent but I found the scoring system to be really confusing. Even after reading up on it really didn't click with me. The only way I was able to have fun with it was playing v1.1 and doing all the suicide bullet cancelling.

hipgnosis said:
Great news this is getting localized! Hope this is getting released in Europe as well. Not a big fan of the lolita goth stuff, I would prefer space ships or something manlier. But it's a great game nonetheless so I shouldn't complain.

Sadly it's not, I sent Aksys an e-mail a few hours after they announced the US release and was told the following regarding a region-free or UK/EU/AU release.

"We only have the rights to the US version of Deathsmiles, so any region coding would be at Cave's discretion.

But we'll definitely try to look into it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!"

hipgnosis

Azure Phoenix said:
Sadly it's not, I sent Aksys an e-mail a few hours after they announced the US release and was told the following regarding a region-free or UK/EU/AU release.

"We only have the rights to the US version of Deathsmiles, so any region coding would be at Cave's discretion.

But we'll definitely try to look into it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!"

Shit this is bad news, I'll be so pissed if it gets localized and I still wont be able to play it. It could still be region-free, but the chances for that are pretty slim too :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Castor Krieg said:
Still, will be most likely NTSC-U/S only so us folks in Europe still have to buy J-360.

Really, Cave has probably worked out a deal for a locked release after making MushiFutari region free, so they'd be able to still get more money selling a publishing deal for an improbable PAL release in the future.

FUCK IT -__-

I'm not going to say why I don't want to buy a JPN X360, but y'all can guess it (before this gen's hardware started to fail me big time I used to buy all my consoles as NTSC-JP).

Also, where the fuck are my RAIDEN IV & Fighters Aces PAL? Mmmhh?!

I just posted this over at CAVE-STG, go go cross-post!

Interview with Asada, Famitsu 360 (March 2010)

&#12539;New project will be revealed at the end of February.
&#12539;Mentions that CAVE's dev speed for 360 has improved since their first try with Deathsmiles and they've managed to shave 3, 4 months off dev time.
&#12539;Mentions a port of one of CAVE's "well-known titles" after the new project reveal.
&#12539;Mentions an Xbox LIVE game which will be an original title. He wants to make it based on co-op play, 16:9 hori shooter that recalls "Moero Twin Bee".
&#12539;LIVE plus package releases: 4 games total in 2010. New project will be revealed at the end of February.
&#12539;Mentions the NA Deathsmiles release, says it will be on sale the second half of 2010. Translation is done. This is a first for CAVE but fun for them.
&#12539;They've messed around with Natal a bit, but he doesn't offer any concrete plans for it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
adversesolutions said:
&#12539;New project will be revealed at the end of February.
&#12539;Mentions that CAVE's dev speed for 360 has improved since their first try with Deathsmiles and they've managed to shave 3, 4 months off dev time.
&#12539;Mentions a port of one of CAVE's "well-known titles" after the new project reveal.
&#12539;Mentions an Xbox LIVE game which will be an original title. He wants to make it based on co-op play, 16:9 hori shooter that recalls "Moero Twin Bee".
&#12539;LIVE plus package releases: 4 games total in 2010. New project will be revealed at the end of February.
&#12539;Mentions the NA Deathsmiles release, says it will be on sale the last half of 2010. Translation is done. This is a first for CAVE but fun for them.
Pretty much all awesome news! I think I'll just pony up for the Japanese LE release of DeathSmiles instead of waiting for the US version.

Top Bottom