• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
December 21st 2012, the end of Comic OT’s outside of the Community forum, and the end of me posting here.

“My son, ask for thyself another kingdom. For that which I leave is too small for thee.”

Here’s what you should read to prepare for the End of Days.

Lah Di Dah, isn’t your apocalypse faaaancy!

Apocalypse Nerd
kmYWC.jpg

Imagine yourself in a post-apocalyptic world, where all the creature comforts that you've spent an entire lifetime taking for granted were suddenly gone for good. How do you see yourself reacting to such a situation? Would you "suck it up" and be stoically content? Or would you spend most of the time cursing your fate? We all like to picture ourselves as the former, though the latter is probably a more accurate portrayal - and that's exactly what our "hero" is like in Peter Bagge's new miniseries.

Sweet Tooth
xhWZ6.png

The first five issues of Jeff Lemire's acclaimed new series introduce Gus, a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid who was raised in isolation following a pandemic that struck a decade earlier. Now, with the death of his father, he's left to fend for himself . . . until he meets a hulking drifter named Jepperd, who promises to help him. Jepperd and Gus set out on a post-apocalyptic journey into the devastated American landscape to find 'The Preserve,' a refuge for hybrids.

Watchmen
GbzC9.jpg

It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story — the story of The Watchmen.

Y The Last Man
i7vCq.jpg

Y: THE LAST MAN, winner of three Eisner Awards and one of the most critically acclaimed, best-selling comic books series of the last decade, is that rare example of a page-turner that is at once humorous, socially relevant and endlessly surprising. Written by Brian K. Vaughan (Lost, PRIDE OF BAGHDAD, EX MACHINA) and with art by Pia Guerra, this is the saga of Yorick Brown—the only human survivor of a planet-wide plague that instantly kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome. Accompanied by a mysterious government agent, a brilliant young geneticist and his pet monkey, Ampersand, Yorick travels the world in search of his lost love and the answer to why he's the last man on earth.

Old heroes die hard.

The Hulk: Future Imperfect
7JH1F.jpg

The testing of the first Gamma Bomb thrust upon Robert Bruce Banner led to what he would come to believe would be his greatest nightmare: his unwilling transformation into the Incredible Hulk. He believed wrong. Now, having been dragged into the future – into a post-holocaust, dystopian world – Bruce Banner discovers that his nightmare has a whole new name: the Maestro. This is a nightmare that only Hulk can end; for he knows that he himself is responsible for the presence of the evil Maestro. The future, our future, and the Incredible Hulk will never quite be the same.

The Hulk: The End
j5atU.jpg

Chronicling the final days of the Green Goliath! Peter David and Dale Keown, creative team on some of the Hulk's most memorable tales, reunite to produce this searing vision of the future in which Bruce Banner, the Incredible Hulk, is the last man on Earth. It's the Hulk's final battle, as "The Last Titan" wrestles his inner-demons in order to discover his place in a dying world – if only he can survive!

Old Man Logan
qdbqI.jpg

Nobody knows what happened on the night the heroes fell. All we know is that they disappeared and evil triumphed and the bad guys have been calling the shots ever since. What happened to Wolverine is the biggest mystery of all. For 50 years, no one has heard hide nor hair from him…and in his place stands an old man called Logan. A man concerned only about his family. A man pushed to the brink by the HULK GANG. A man forced to help an old friend—the blind archer, HAWKEYE—to drive three thousand miles to secure his family’s safety. Get ready for the ride of your life, Logan.

Punisher The End
70fPA.jpg

In a world gone mad, the Punisher just might be the sanest man on Earth. Now he's heading home, to the place it all began, and heaven help anyone who stands in his path.

Such heroic nonsense!

Infinity Gauntlet (featuring both simping, thirsting, and dry begging Thanos)
8DCaQ.jpg

The Mad Titan Thanos has seized control of Infinity Gauntlet and with it near-omnipotent power! Who can stop this deadly new overlord? All of Marvel's top heroes star in this epic of cosmic proportions!

Crisis on Infinite Earths
jKdAd.jpg

This is the story that changed the DC Universe forever. A mysterious being known as the Anti-Monitor has begun a crusade across time to bring about the end of all existence. As alternate earths are systematically destroyed, the Monitor quickly assembles a team of super-heroes from across time and space to battle his counterpart and stop the destruction. DC's greatest heroes including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Aquaman, assemble to stop the menace, but as they watch both the Flash and Supergirl die in battle, they begin to wonder if even all of the heroes in the world can stop this destructive force.

Infinite Crisis
qPPT0.jpg

The 7-issue miniseries event that rocked the entire DC Universe in 2005-2006 — a sequel to the epic CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS — is now collected in an amazing hardcover collection! Written by Geoff Johns (GREEN LANTERN, TEEN TITANS) with art by a who's who of comics' greatest talents — including Phil Jimenez, George Pérez, Jerry Ordway and more, this hardcover is a must-have for any DC collector. OMAC robots are rampaging, magic is dying, villains are uniting, and a war is raging in space. And in the middle of it all, a critical moment has divided Earth's three greatest heroes: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. It's the DCU's darkest day, and long-lost heroes from the past have returned to make things right in the universe...at any cost. Heroes will live, heroes will die, and the DCU will never be the same again!

Final Crisis
PYKpH.jpg

What happens when evil wins? That's the devastating question Superman, Batman, the Justice League and every other super being in the DC Universe must face when Darkseid and his otherworldly legion of followers actually win the war between light and dark. Written by superstar creator Grant Morrison (JLA, BATMAN) with stellar art from J.G. Jones (52 covers), Carlos Pacheco (SUPERMAN) and Doug Mahnke (BLACK ADAM), this event defined the DCU and the New Gods for the 21st century and beyond!

Kingdom Come
8aOjc.jpg

Set just after the dawn of the 21st Century, in a world spinning inexorably out of control, comes this grim tale of youth versus experience, a tradition versus change, while asking the timeless question: what defines a hero? KINGDOM COME is a riveting story pitting the old guard-Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and their peers-against a new, uncompromising generation of heroes in the final war against each other, to determine nothing less than the future of the planet.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
scwCf.jpg

We fought. We lost. We d-died. And now... seeing you all alive -- oh God, I didn't think it would hurt so much. - Kitty Pryde

Dreams of Dystopia

The Dark Knight Returns
5fFDZ.jpg

It is ten years after an aging Batman has retired, and Gotham City has sunk deeper into decadence and lawlessness. Now, when his city needs him most, the Dark Knight returns in a blaze of glory. Joined by Carrie Kelly, a teenage female Robin, Batman takes to the streets to end the threat of the mutant gangs that have overrun the city. And after facing off against his two greatest enemies, the Joker and Two-Face, for the final time, Batman finds himself in mortal combat with his former ally, Superman, in a battle that only one of them will survive.

Judge Dredd
ByN6p.jpg

Dredd is an American law enforcement officer in a violent city of the future where uniformed Judges combine the powers of police, judge, jury and executioner. Dredd and his fellow Judges are empowered to arrest, sentence, and even execute criminals on the spot.

Collecting more contemporary Judge Dredd tales from some of the best creators working in the comics industry today, including John Wagner, Alan Grant, Al Ewing, Charlie Adlard, Simon Bisley, Chris Weston, Steve Dillon, Glenn Fabry, Jock, Staz Johnson and Cam Kennedy.

Prophet
UT2oi.jpg

On distant future Earth, changed by time and alien influence, John Prophet awakes from cryosleep. His mission: to climb the the towers of Thauili Van and restart the Earth empire. News of the Empire's return brings old foes and allies out of the recesses of the vast cosmos.

These are the days of high adventure!

Kamandi
gkvSQ.jpg

Kamandi – one of the few survivors of a futuristic Great Disaster that has destroyed civilization – must make his way through a world populated by bizarre, mutated animals and other strange wonders! Considered one of Jack Kirby's most creative works, KAMANDI features a band of intelligent animal supporting characters who accompany Kamandi as he searches for answers and adventure across the wastelands of Earth.

Killraven
sW15R.jpg

In the not-so-distant future, Martians have invaded our world and laid waste to our civilization! Now, only Jonathan Raven – the gladiator known as Killraven – and his band of Freemen stand between Earth and utter annihilation! Dig sci-fi action? Love great visuals? Then grab your tub of popcorn and get ready for this modern classic from the great Alan Davis!

O.M.A.C.
aYhWB.jpg

In one of his last major works for DC, Kirby envisions a 1984-inspired dystopia starring corporate nobody Buddy Blank, who is changed by a satellite called Brother Eye into the super-powered O.M.A.C. (One Man Army Corps). Enlisted by the Global Peace Agency, who police the world using pacifistic means, O.M.A.C. battles the forces of conformity in this short-lived but legendary series!

Orchid
LAb0l.jpg

When the seas rose, genetic codes were smashed. Human settlements are ringed by a dense wilderness from which ferocious new animal species prey on the helpless. The high ground belongs to the rich and powerful that overlook swampland shantytowns from their fortress-like cities. Iron-fisted rule ensures order and allows the wealthy to harvest the poor as slaves.

Xenozoic
5UAbh.jpg

Welcome to the Xenozoic Age, a post-apocalyptic landscape where dinosaurs roam freely…and humanity is the endangered species!
“What strange new world, to have such creatures in it!”
Forced into hiding by a global ecological cataclysm, humans emerge from their underground warrens half a millennium later to discover that the Earth has been totally transformed. All of the familiar flora and fauna are gone, replaced by a radically altered natural order populated by rampaging dinosaurs and strange, new creatures. It takes guts, grim determination, ingenuity and a whole lot of old-fashioned luck just to survive, much less thrive, in this alien wilderness—all qualities that ace mechanic Jack Tenrec, lovely scientist Hannah Dundee and their friends possess in abundance.
But even the worthiest of these hardy souls are hard-pressed to surmount the obstacles presented by their new homeland. And when those trials are further compounded by the underhanded and selfish actions of the cutthroat human scavengers they encounter, even the best equipped and bravest among them might not endure.

This was supposed to be a video game?!
Four Horsemen
s4wEl.jpg

Raised by the Order of Solomon, Adam Cahill is one of a rare handful of highly trained warriors bound by bloodline to guard the Seven Holy Seals that contain the End of Days. But ageless forces have conspired towards a prophetic event foretold by numerous cultures and multiple religions, and when that cryptic date arrives, they strike against the order without mercy! Adam's world is shattered, his family murdered, and he is sent spiraling into Hell itself. There, he must find three corrupt souls, chosen by Divinity, to join him in battle against the legendary Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Together, these broken individuals must band together to not only save their own souls, but to decide the very fate of Humanity.

Find a comic shop near you:

http://www.the-master-list.com/

Buy Digital Comics:

http://graphicly.com/publishers
https://digital.darkhorse.com/
http://www.comixology.com/

Buy Comics online:

www.dcbservice.com
www.grahamcrackerscomics.com
www.instocktrades.com

Where to buy back issues online:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/
http://www.fearlessreadersonline.com//

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thread highly exceeds expectations!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I will not weep for you bandit, for you are already dead

good luck in your future endeavors bro, but I have a feeling you may return again someday

Holy shit at that xenozoic age book. I bet that sucker doesn't come cheap

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
yeah i don't want a megathread in community. the monthly ot threads are good.

2nd. Also we pick up strays from OT-GAF on occasion that aren't regular readers. We can't lose TTOB and be relegated to Ghetto-GAF in the same month. I won't stand for it!

Parallax

Well then, it seems all the big players aren't going for an ot thread, and I agree

I thought you buttplugs were all for the community suburbs of neogaf. Is comics gaf gonna gentrify the OT?! :O

And Xenozoic is an incredible value online - like $30 for so much amazing art and you could kill a home invader with it.

Monthly threads are fine. Too many thread rules lately.

TTOB, I just found my Cadillacs & Dinosaurs boxed set last night! Amazing stuff.

frye

From the old thread -

His Jimmy Olson comic was good!

But I hated his Secret Avengers/Thunder Agents/Morning Glories so much, I straight up refuse to buy anything else he does(unless it's more Jimmy Olson). Three strikes, you out, brotha

I liked it all right as a backup to Action but reading it when it was collected as a one-shot made me realize that I kind of... didn't. I dunno, there was just a feeling that something was incredibly off about it that I didn't get when I was reading it in short bursts - like it was an empty retread of that Jimmy Olsen issue of ASS, maybe? I will concede that's the only half decent thing that dude has ever done though.

I will co-sign on that.

And I only read Bedlam, but it was like being beaten about the head and neck with his wildly out of control self love and colossal ego.

It felt like he was trying to write a Christopher Nolan Batman movie with none of the shitty action and all of the blow-hard "rousing" speechs.

Jeezus.

I've read a few things by the guy and the fact that he was picked up by Marvel so fast is unbelievable.

is morning glories really thart bad. i read the firrst trade at the library and was intregued

It starts off intriguingly enough, but within a few issues, it becomes apparent that Spencer is just piling on mystery after mystery and plot twist after plot twist with no sense of resolution or direction for anything. It's pretty impenetrable at this point.

-Mikey-

is morning glories really thart bad. i read the firrst trade at the library and was intregued

I'm pretty sure Naruto has a deeper story than Morning Glories. I managed to get through 11 issues and nothing happened. When nothing happens it's hard to remember what happened 1 issue ago let alone 20+.

frye

Spencer has talked about liking the comic medium before but it's clear he'd much rather be doing TV. Morning Glories and shit like Thief of Thieves are elevator pitches, not comics.

How does a thief stop being a thief???
- actual dialogue from a Nick Spencer comic

Owzers

Spencer has talked about liking the comic medium before but it's clear he'd much rather be doing TV. Morning Glories and shit like Thief of Thieves are elevator pitches, not comics.

By stealing someone's heart.

Meanwhile I can't get the third issue of Secret. :mad:

I'm hyped to finally get my hands on Planetoid #2 this weekend.

I could have acquired it through dubious means, but I'm locked into dat print.

The Transformers Prime was pretty fun too. Only one issue, but I'm enjoying it more than MtMtE and RiD. Those remind me too much of Matt Fritchman books where everybody is a wiseacre. :\

Is Prime based off the new cartoons or something? Ultra Magnus looked different.

rCIZZLE

I thought his runs on both series were fantastic. Morning Glories is one of the most interesting comics I've ever read.

Owzers

i forgot i didn't read WATXM #18 and 19....i knew something was going down in #18 already due to board reaction so it didn't hit me hard, still a good issue. #19's teacher search provided the typical levity found in the series. Overall still enjoying this book.

dat hawkeye

Man, where were you knuckleheads when Hawkeye was cool?!

39656226152.1.GIF

Oh right.

Not born yet. :(

Man, that preview really drives home my impression that Hickman is the new pre-doping Morrison. His FF reminded me of the big fun ideas of Morrison. Now this reminds me of Morrison's first JLA arc.

Let's pray he never starts taking lots of drugs and allowing his hype to outpace his talent.

Parallax

I thought you buttplugs were all for the community suburbs of neogaf. Is comics gaf gonna gentrify the OT?! :O

And Xenozoic is an incredible value online - like $30 for so much amazing art and you could kill a home invader with it.

30 dollars? Damn. I need to look into that

The one and only comic I want for this month.

EDIT: Oh shit, there's two numbers this month? Fucking yeah.

Mark is rocking the black and blues again?

Owzers

I think my preconceived notion that digital comics should be around 99 cents for past issues makes me angry whenever i see a marvel sale at comixology that isn't a miniseries that is easily completed.

Today's sale: FF #1-16 and Fantastic Four #544-561, some of the issues that came BEFORE Hickman's Fantastic Four start that should be avoided out of sucking. Their sales remind me of why MDCU half-sucks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom