• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Pray to the gods this will end up good

Diana is probably the biggest name in Comics with the smallest multimedia/mainstream footprint.

Arrow is pretty fun, so I'm hopeful.

Edit: Johns says the name change is just a codename for casting. So if nothing else, I learned a random tidbit about the TV biz today.

Fantomex

So I'm getting caught up on Uncanny X-Force. Currently on issue #17. What a great run, I hear that in the end
I get killed and turn into a girl by way of EVE.
But all in all a great series that I hear will get better to the end.

Things I love in this series:

1. Character development and growth.
  2. Artwork.
  3. Bold Ideas (Age of Apocalypse)
  4. No Stupid Crossovers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Things I love in this series:

1. Character development and growth.
  2. Artwork.
  3. Bold Ideas (Age of Apocalypse)
  4. No Stupid Crossovers.

yep, yep, yep, yep.

So Comixology are having a Fantastic Friday sale, themed around our favourite family of superheroes, the Fantastic Four. I want to read Hickman's run, but I noticed that only his first sixteen issues of FF are available for sale. Knowing that it's probably best reading alongside/concurrently with his Fantastic Four run, is it still worth buying all sixteen issues if I won't be reading them until I have his Fantastic Four run?

Buy em and stash em - don't look at the covers too closely, either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Arrow is pretty fun, so I'm hopeful.

Edit: Johns says the name change is just a codename for casting. So if nothing else, I learned a random tidbit about the TV biz today.

Yeah, they were just trying to avoid attention.

And they're both black :(

Don't forget part 3 in Marvel's black unholy trinity: Eric Jerome Dickey for this atrocity:

120568-18260-109538-1-storm_super.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Parallax, pls don't tell me you liked Hudlin's BP

pls

what? fuck you man, i hated hudlins run. are you not aware of how much i bashed that shit?

im talking about comparing the introduction of a decent character with potential to one of the most destructive arcs of a character. in fact supes, tell me why you think the blue marvel is on par with hudlins garbage

Have they ever considered calling Black Panther just "Panther"?

why not call blue beetle "beetle" and red robin "robin 2"?

Have they ever considered calling Black Panther just "Panther"?

because thats stupid. they call him panther as a nickname, but black panther is the official title from the gods.

what? fuck you man, i hated hudlins run. are you not aware of how much i bashed that shit?

im talking about comparing the introduction of a decent character with potential to one of the most destructive arcs of a character. in fact supes, tell me why you think the blue marvel is on par with hudlins garbage

okay, maybe not on par with hudlin-trash, but grevioux definitely didnt have the skill to write that concept without it turning into a cliched hamfisted mess. good idea, but its like if judd apatow wrote and directed hotel rwanda.

Fantomex

I guess I'm wondering from a Sales $ point of view if Marvel has ever thought about negative associations. I think his name is cool but perceptions are like this:

Blue Beetle
7195901820_c9f4709557_z.jpg

Red Robins
large_RedRobin.jpg

Black Panther
2-28-69%20cr2.jpg

ReiGun

Just "Panther" is a pretty weakass name.

Don't forget part 3 in Marvel's black unholy trinity: Eric Jerome Dickey for this atrocity:

120568-18260-109538-1-storm_super.jpg
That shit was so wack. Never been more disappointed in a story. I'm thinking I'm signing up to learn more about Storm and her origin, and instead I get issue after issue of her and T'Challa exchanging googly eyes. Then T'Challa smashes and is like "Lol bye." Ugh

Parallax, pls don't tell me you liked Hudlin's BP

pls

Lol Parallax is the main reason I'm still hesitant to read that shit. The hate is real.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
okay, maybe not on par with hudlin-trash, but grevioux definitely didnt have the skill to write that concept without it turning into a cliched hamfisted mess. good idea, but its like if judd apatow wrote and directed hotel rwanda.

its an introduction to the character, and i think a good one. knowing that the world wouldnt be able to accept him as a hero because he was black, but not having any animosity towards it was nice. they could do a lot with him, if they only use him

Because perceptions are like this:

Blue Beetle
7195901820_c9f4709557_z.jpg

Red Robins
large_RedRobin.jpg

Black Panther
2-28-69%20cr2.jpg

bp existed before the movement. its a mere coincedence that they came about. and i doubt that people think of the restaurant when they think of red robin, so thinking of the civil rights militia group shouldnt really come into play either

kilongs

If I wanted to start reading Hellboy, would the Hardcover Library Editions be the best place to start? Also, where would the BPRD series fit into all that? Thanks!

Sblargh

Banned
I was reading a book about Marvel and apparently, in the crazyness of the 70s, the Jungle Action book featuring Black Panther (and no white character whatsoever) was very conscious of the whole race issue, to the point of being mocked by other creators because of the very long speeches on the subject.

It's on my "one day I gotta read this" list.

Owzers

If I wanted to start reading Hellboy, would the Hardcover Library Editions be the best place to start? Also, where would the BPRD series fit into all that? Thanks!

The Library editions are great and reasonably priced. I THINK BPRD fits in around the second Library edition of Hellboy, continuity wise as a spin off tangent.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Frank does Movember too apparently.

http://i.imgur.com/Wtdrq.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Where the fuck is War Zone 2? So used to getting Marvel books double (and now fucking TRIPLE SHIPPED) down my throat when one comes out monthly like Punisher or Daredevil End of Days I almost forget they exist.

frye

I was reading a book about Marvel and apparently, in the crazyness of the 70s, the Jungle Action book featuring Black Panther (and no white character whatsoever) was very conscious of the whole race issue, to the point of being mocked by other creators because of the very long speeches on the subject.

It's on my "one day I gotta read this" list.

Tucker Stone and David Brothers did a back and forth about it back when the Marvel Masterworks dropped and it's definitely worth a read too.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

It's been collected (or going to be soon?) in a b/w Essential volume along with the Jack Kirby run too if you don't mind b/w.

Where the fuck is War Zone 2? So used to getting Marvel books double (and now fucking TRIPLE SHIPPED) down my throat when one comes out monthly like Punisher or Daredevil End of Days I almost forget they exist.
The picture I posted is from #2. It's out next week.

Grain of salt, but it appears that DC editorial is waging another battle against creative freedom.

Rich Johnston said:
Just as I was about to run the story about the Villains Month at DC Comics yesterday, I received an e-mail from an anonymous source that not only backed up everything I’d heard from good sources about that project but added some new details about DC right now, some of which I’d heard (and was planning a story for today) and some of which I hadn’t.

This includes a list of titles that from issues 18, 19 and 20 will see all the writers leave, and some of the artists.

batgirl, birds of prey, dark knight, flash, hawkman, swamp thing

Some of this I knew. I’ve heard that Duane Swierczynski’s last issue of Birds Of Prey is issue 17, currently in February’s solicitations. Look forward to them announcing a brand new creative direction for that book for March.

And yes, I had heard that Scott Snyder has been piling up more and more projects – leaving Swamp Thing and putting American Vampire on hold may be his best option.

And I understand that some of these are changes because the writers want to try something new, some are attempts to freshen books that may have been seen as stagnant, but others are based on major creative disagreements and the Villains month may be part of that. Storylines planned and approved well in advance have suddenly been rejected to make way for it, with relatively little time to make amends. Some see this as a challenge, others… less so.

Especially since a number of writers were only told about Villains month after the Bleeding Cool article ran yesterday.

Didn't they do a villains month before the reboot? With the black covers by Alex Ross... Or was that covers only, my memory's fuzzy.

You're thinking of Faces of Evil in January 2009, but that was purely thematic and didn't have any kind of unifying storyline behind it, which Johnston seems to think is not the case for at least some of the participating books.

You're thinking of Faces of Evil in January 2009, but that was purely thematic and didn't have any kind of unifying storyline behind it, which Johnston seems to think is not the case for at least some of the participating books.
That was it, Faces of Evil. They're probably going to introduce the New 52 Legion of Doom as some line wide event.

Also if Batgirl gets a new writer that seems to confirm Gale is leaving DC.

That was it, Faces of Evil. They're probably going to introduce the New 52 Legion of Doom as some line wide event.

Also if Batgirl gets a new writer that seems to confirm Gale is leaving DC.

I think she's still working on some book with EVS, so I doubt she's leaving DC completely.

She posted on Tumblr last week that she had been offered the chance to write an "iconic heroine" that she hadn't previously written. It could be Supergirl, but she didn't say "DC heroine." (Though I can't think of any Marvel heroine who could plausibly be called "iconic" and star in a solo book, except maybe Black Widow.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
gail has mentioned on twitter that she is writing Lois Lane for something. maybe she is taking over on superman?

They just put a new writer on Superman. He hasn't completely shit the bed yet so I can't see him getting replaced so soon (It's still not a fun book).

The only good Sentry is the original miniseries Sentry

I bought the TPB for that. Read it and loved it. Never touched anything featuring the character again. That's probably why I still like him...I never endured any of the other crap that followed.

How's this series? The summary got my attention.

It's the best comic book series of all-time. I'm a hardcore BKV Stan, though, so keep my bias in mind. It's the one series I introduce to non-comic book fans and they eat it the heck up. I got my younger brother into it when he visited over Thanksgiving. He read the entire series in one day, one TPB at a time. I was so jealous of him getting to experience the full story like that for the first time. I re-read it once a year at least.

That and Saga (his new series) are must-reads. Runaways and Pride of Baghdad aren't as good, but they're still superb and better than 95% of what's out there in comics. His weakest work to me was Ex Machina. It started out very solid, but ended up becoming a bit too heavy-handed politically even for me, a political science major.

TLDR: Drop everything you're reading until you've read Y: The Last Man.

Yeah, IDK who SSM is, but at least they got TTOB's boyfriend Ryan Stegman drawing the FUCK out of it. The energy he brings to every panel and every object is crazy

1354311333.jpg

Parch

I vote yes for Community. ComicGaf on perma page one.

I vote for Sentry to be banned to that cosmic crap that nobody reads.

I vote for everybody to read Y. Seriously should be on any comic fan's read list.

I vote for Iron Man to get a better artist. Actually, most of NOW isn't tickling my rod. Get better.

I vote for Image to continue being my pleasant surprise company.

I vote for early and extra eggnog.

I vote for Red Robin in the next wave.

I vote for a miraculous return of my interest for X-Books, but won't bet on it.

*ding* There's the oven, so now I vote for scarfing down that whole pan of lasagna.

May be putting SSM on my radar just for Stegman art alone but not sure if I'll go floppies or trade for this one.

Also need to stop by my LCS and basically ask if I can specify nothing but baby variants for my books (they're all Marvel so I should be good)... I've had the Avengers baby variant as my work desktop since it first dropped so I can't really imagine getting the book without said variant...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I always thought Stegman was slummin it on Scarlet Spider. Is Humberto Ramos homeless yet? Because he deserves to be.

So that Comixology FF sale. I haven't read any of the that Hickman run. I did pick up both the new Matt Fraction books (FF and Fantastic Four) and loved them. FF more than Fantastic Four.

I think I know the answer to this already, but $15.84 for the Hickman run should be an insta-buy, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom