• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kizer

2728028-new_avengers_now.png

^ alright, I am in.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
OK folks:

I'm looking to find a comic/graphic novel or two to read. I have never read any. I don't really want super hero stuff, or stuff I've seen adaptations of (Watchmen, Walking Dead). I'd really like a couple recommendations of quality stories in this medium. In the OP the one that stood out was Y: The Last Man.

Viewt

OK folks:

I'm looking to find a comic/graphic novel or two to read. I have never read any. I don't really want super hero stuff, or stuff I've seen adaptations of (Watchmen, Walking Dead). I'd really like a couple recommendations of quality stories in this medium. In the OP the one that stood out was Y: The Last Man.

Both Y the Last Man and Preacher are pretty much the equivalent of comic-book-crack. Both are collected in trade and believe me when I say that you won't be able to stop after the first paperback's over. With both of these series, I was buying volumes in batches of three at a time.

If I had to give the edge to one in particular, I'd go with Preacher. It's my favorite comic book series of all time.

tumblr_mdb351IEuN1ql4e6oo2_500.png

That fucking walk, man.

Owzers

Invincible #96: Kirkman did a horrendous job telling this back and forth Monster Girl and Robot storyline. I like Invincible, a lot actually, and this arc had some good substance, but it was set up in a way that made me embarrassed to be reading the book.

I though comixology was an account based thing. Aren't the books stored online?

Indeed they are, but i kinda wanted to store EVERYTHING at the same time :p I didn't plan ahead for how much room that would take.

Twice. Considering i bought a 16GB Kindle Fire to use as a reading device/mp3 player/comics on the treadmill, etc. I don't think it will have enough storage space to fit all i want on it, but in this case i have a month to return it thanks to Best Buy's holiday return policy incase i want to get the 32GB version. And ipad has a really terrible comixology finding past purchases app. It's not like the android one where it lists the books by series quickly, you have to scroll past individual album art gallery things.

akira28

Stegman says there will be some alterations to the old Spidey costume — tying into some new abilities — that make him look a little more intimidating. "His belt looks a little different, and there's points at the end of his glove that add a little aggressiveness to his costume."

kill everything now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm looking to find a comic/graphic novel or two to read. I have never read any.

Phonograph: The Singles Club
Y: The Last Man
Transmetropolitan (if you enjoy following politics or are a fan of Hunter S Thompson)

i am trying to keep my expectations in check having played their Jurassic Park game. So so so bad.

I've never been too into Telltale's adventure games (love me some old school LucasArts stuff, though) but The Walking Dead on 360 is fantastic.

Read the first 5 or so TWD trades and enjoyed it.
Watched the first 1.5 seasons of the show and hated it
Played the first episode of the game and LOVED it.

Can't wait for their Fables adaptation now... gonna be SO good.

Willingham is closely involved, the story will be "canon", and apparently the first 3 trades are a good primer before playing (i'd read the first 11 to be perfectly honest. those first 75 issues are a really good story.)

Owzers

i am looking forward to renting Walking Dead on ps3 this month, i am trying to keep my expectations in check having played their Jurassic Park game. So so so bad.

Whoa they're making a Fables one? That Walking Dead game is the best Walking Dead thing. I hope its good too. I just got the trade for Fairest.

Sblargh

Banned
I have to say that reading the comic after the game felt underwhelming. So I'll agree with the game being the best walking dead thing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Phonograph: The Singles Club
Y: The Last Man
Transmetropolitan (if you enjoy following politics or are a fan of Hunter S Thompson)

Both Y the Last Man and Preacher are pretty much the equivalent of comic-book-crack. Both are collected in trade and believe me when I say that you won't be able to stop after the first paperback's over. With both of these series, I was buying volumes in batches of three at a time.

If I had to give the edge to one in particular, I'd go with Preacher. It's my favorite comic book series of all time.

tumblr_mdb351IEuN1ql4e6oo2_500.png

That fucking walk, man.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Still open to other suggestions from people as well though.

frye

If you've only seen the Watchmen movie, then you're really only doing yourself a disservice by not reading the comic.

Or, to put it another way, Watchmen the comic is a better comic than Watchmen the movie is a movie.

If you've only seen the Watchmen movie, then you're really only doing yourself a disservice by not reading the comic.

Or, to put it another way, Watchmen the comic is a better comic than Watchmen the movie is a movie.

I just. . .

yeah.

Walking away.

However it's insight into why Clevelanders hate Pittsburgh so much. That is all I've learned this day.

Watchmen is a book you should read twice about 6 months apart. That second time around is so satisfying.

Watchmen is a book you should read twice about 6 months apart. That second time around is so satisfying.

I think it took me six months to read it the first time.

It's a daunting piece of work.

Reality is I read an issue a week or something, everything. I didn't skip shit. If there were words I was reading them.

Why you so crazy Alan Moore?!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I'm not saying I'll never read it, I'm just saying I want my first foray or two into the medium to be something I don't already know the plot of.

jon bones

yes but if history is kind, it will be remembered as a New American Horror Classic

Seeing panther at the forefront does my heart good.

of all the reasons that cover is amazing, BP holding the planet front-and-center is the best.

i love that hickman is making his avengers diverse, too.

a global team whose makeup accurately reflects the world, and not in a cheesy 90s way - finally!

Bets on how soon the X-Men start to outsell the Avengers and Marvel does another "creative shift" where the best X-artists and writers suddenly end up on the Avengers?

On an Apple product?

lolno

Y'know!

Apple "upgrade" process in one simple step:

- But new overprice iDevice!

:p

Journeyed to the Eastern lands today for Planetoid #2. While I was there I snagged Peepo Choo 1&2 and Sgt. Frog vol.21.

Here's some shit I just found out about and need to buy too!

WAuUq.jpg

ga7Av.jpg

I already am doing Uncanny because i loved Xforce. In Rick I trust. I guess I could do both. I just hate trades because if I like the book I have to wait for the next trade.

I already am doing Uncanny because i loved Xforce. In Rick I trust. I guess I could do both. I just hate trades because if I like the book I have to wait for the next trade.

I dropped uncanny avengers because I simply don't care about the characters. Scarlet Witch, Havok, and Rogue don't do anything for me.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see the new thread until today. I missed the post from last month's thread that had the link. I need to check and see what comes out this week.

jon bones

I dropped uncanny avengers because I simply don't care about the characters. Scarlet Witch, Havok, and Rogue don't do anything for me.

straight up, dude.

rick's fear agent styled cap run is going to be great, so that'll fill the void uxf leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom