• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New hawk guy page are awesome

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/HAWKEYE2012007015_col2.jpg

HAWKEYE2012007004_cropped.jpg

Looking at the latest shipping updates, I notice that Avengers #3 has slipped to Jan. 23. On the bright side, we might be getting three weeks in a row of new issues, provided the current schedule sticks.

frye

Another thing that I forgotten about this book is that's it's FUNNY. You think in the quest of unending misery for Matt Murdock that seemed to come out of Miller's run(specifically, Born Again), they forgot how much levity and comedy relief there is in this book.

#175, has this wonderful two-pronged fight sequence of Elektra vs Kigiri and DD vs 4 swordsmen, that's thrilling as it is inventive, but in the middle of all that we also get these humorous asides in the court room where Foggy has to present the case by himself, and it's hilarious! #178 is a Luke Cage/Power Man guest star issue, which is light and breezy as anything in the Mark Waid run, and begins with this panel(gotta love:

Daredevil, smiling, enjoying life, having a good time! I mean, even as cynical, nasty, destructive and brutal as Born Again was, the last 1/3rd is Murdock coming back from that shit and even getting a happy ending!

You're completely right about the humour. Miller has a weird reputation from his Daredevil, that he turned the book into an unrelenting "let's shit on Matt Murdock every month" but that isn't really true. It balances humour and seriousness much better than the later runs. Also that "Guts" Nelson/Turk team-up issue is just the best.

I have a theory that Turk is the secret ingredient to a good DD story. He even shows up in Born Again in a Santa suit. I dunno if I'd agree with that story being cynical though - it's pretty hopeful I think and, like you said, 1/3 of that book is about rising above yourself. Matt, Ben Urich, and Karen Page all reach their lowest in Born Again but the book ends with them stronger/better people than they were.

ZUkMW.png

~freewheelin'~

Are you reading End of Days at all?

It's Bendis, so I felt I could wait until the story is complete before hopping on and reading it all in one sitting.

But it's Sienkiewicz so I have to get it eventually. I'm duty-bound to read anything that man draws.

Who the fuck is CBR trying to kid by having Saga as the number one comic of the year? Absolutely fucking insanely crazy. That is some Fables level shit right their.e

frye

It's Bendis, so I felt I could wait until the story is complete before hopping on and reading it all in one sitting.

But it's Sienkiewicz so I have to get it eventually. I'm duty-bound to read anything that man draws.

Yeah, that's probably a good call. If you're reading it for Billy the Sink then prepare to be disappointed. He has some paintings but they're few and far in between the (Sienkiewicz-inked) Janson interiors.

Who the fuck is CBR trying to kid by having Saga as the number one comic of the year? Absolutely fucking insanely crazy. That is some Fables level shit right their.e

I don't get it either. It's good, but rarely great. It seriously needs some sort of direction really soon.

IMO it work work far better as a gaming sourcebook for a PnP tabletop setting.

I don't get it either. It's good, but rarely great. It seriously needs some sort of direction really soon.

IMO it work work far better as a gaming sourcebook for a PnP tabletop setting.
That's how I feel, seems to be riding on the names behind it.

Do you play that DC card game brah?

boinx

but... all star superman owns....bones...

so many boness...

Yeah, I love those comics a lot. Watching a young Frank Miller in his 20's doing Daredevil/Wolverine/Ronin basically mashing up shit he likes together - Eisner, Lone Wolf and Cub, Moebius, Kurosawa, sf, NINJAS, film noir, kung-fu movies, Kirby, Ditko, female body builders - and distilling them into comic form is real fuckin' awesome. I like those Bendis/Maleev and Brubaker/Lark Daredevils quite a bit but even disregarding Born Again (TOP 5 DEAD OR ALIVE BABY) those cats ain't Frank Miller.

80s/90s Miller was so good. Dark Knight, Daredevil, Elektra, Ronin, Sin City and Hard Boiled, all that stuff is seriously awesome. It's such a shame what happened to Miller, i wish he still could turn up work as good as his early stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom