• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Comic |OT| Apocalypse NOW - Time Enough At Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who else doesnt have powers besides no name SHIELD people? I like the whole,"My life outside the Marvel universe" more than trying to fit in the superheroes.

The Avengers writing is pretty heavy handed right now. Cap just needs to bring back The Initiative if he wants to get bigger. That Hawaiian team looked chill. Hope the Liberteens show up in Venom.

And if we can talk about DC comics, Talon, Amethyst and Team Seven are all great books. I'm hyped for the roof for Vibe and Threshhold.

tim1138

The Avengers writing is pretty heavy handed right now. Cap just needs to bring back The Initiative if he wants to get bigger. That Hawaiian team looked chill. Hope the Liberteens show up in Venom.

And if we can talk about DC comics, Talon, Amethyst and Team Seven are all great books. I'm hyped for the roof for Vibe and Threshhold.

What's Team 7 like? You're the first I've seen talk about it.

Owzers

I liked the last issue of Uncanny X-Force, it will make for a nice omnibus in the year 2020 when Marvel remembers that omnibus collections are neat.

Cth

Damn, godspeed to his recovery.

Any chance of a paste of the article? His site has collapsed.

"We were on vacation in Florida when I lost control of the right side of my body. I cannot see properly and I cannot move my right arm or leg. We are currently getting the extent of the damage sorted out and will report as further details become clarified."

That's all anyone else has posted. I doubt he'd have posted more.

Acid08

Banned

Amethyst isn't that good mang. It's alright but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Beowulf is better so far.

Owzers

Animal Man #15 and Swampy were okay, but they are still dropped after Rotworld wraps.

Invinicible 98 made me feel like i didn't read 97, it was a decent jump in tone from the previous issues end. Liked it, but it seemed really forced, a " we are doing this NOW" tone as if an alarm clock to this plot point went off and it just suddenly happens.

Walking Dead 105ish - Kirkman is going all-out trying to establish
Negan with a different style than the Governor.
He's doing a decent job but it's hard for me not to see through it. This series is highly consumable even if it's not the best book on the shelf. I'm interested to see what happens on a regular basis as opposed to opening up a Batbook and trying to care what dumb shenanigans are going on.

I'm just so not a Superman fan and I tried my damnest to be. I really want to like him as a character but I just can't.

The following you can read with little to no prior knowledge of Superman and I think you can enjoy them whether or not you are a Superman fan

Superman: Birthright
Superman: Secret Origin
Superman: Secret Identity (highly recommended)
All-Star Superman
Superman: Earth One Vol 1 and 2
Luthor
Superman/Batman: Search for Kryptonite
Superman: Red Son
Superman: For Tomorrow

Owzers

I've heard it's pretty hard for anyone to enjoy Superman Earth One.

volume 1 was decent but disappointing
volume 2 was unbearable :(

sidenote:

Green Lantern #15 was fun, but it's incredibly disappointing that Geoff won't, or can't, go back to telling actual stories in his book and DC relies exclusively on events involving books i don't read because they aren't good.

fallingdove

Hey ComicGAF, how is Nowhere Men? I need another series to get into...

Also - I am in love again with Hawkguy. 6 was a return to form for me. Aja is god tier, I love his work. Is the Immortal Iron Fist run that he and Fraction did as good as the Hawkguy series?

Acid08

Banned
Hey ComicGAF, how is Nowhere Men? I need another series to get into...

Also - I am in love again with Hawkguy. 6 was a return to form for me. Aja is god tier, I love his work. Is the Immortal Iron Fist run that he and Fraction did as good as the Hawkguy series?
Definitely as good, better just because there's more of it for you to read. Hawkguy could definitely surpass depending on how long Fraction and Aja stay on. The art in IIF is just fucking draw dropping at times, it almost feels like a different Aja. Also even after Fraction and Aja leave Iron Fist it stays really good and wraps up the story in a superb way. I don't like Travel Foreman but I found his art mostly inoffensive during that part.

The following you can read with little to no prior knowledge of Superman and I think you can enjoy them whether or not you are a Superman fan

Superman: Birthright
Superman: Secret Origin
Superman: Secret Identity (highly recommended)
All-Star Superman
Superman: Earth One Vol 1 and 2
Luthor
Superman/Batman: Search for Kryptonite
Superman: Red Son
Superman: For Tomorrow

The bolded have been read and they've done nothing for me. Especially All-Star :(

Especially All-Star :(

izr1Z3ZeAfpBa.gif

also, I've been re-reading Frank Miller Daredevil. I forgotten how stupidly good this book is. It's like Will Eisner doing Lone Wolf and Cub. Humpery Bogart teaming up with Bruce Lee for a film noir kung-fu movie. Shit is sick

frye

The bolded have been read and they've done nothing for me. Especially All-Star :(

but... all star superman owns....bones...

so many boness...

izr1Z3ZeAfpBa.gif

also, I've been re-reading Frank Miller Daredevil. I forgotten how stupidly good this book is. It's like Will Eisner doing Lone Wolf and Cub. Humpery Bogart teaming up with Bruce Lee for a film noir kung-fu movie. Shit is sick

Yeah, I love those comics a lot. Watching a young Frank Miller in his 20's doing Daredevil/Wolverine/Ronin basically mashing up shit he likes together - Eisner, Lone Wolf and Cub, Moebius, Kurosawa, sf, NINJAS, film noir, kung-fu movies, Kirby, Ditko, female body builders - and distilling them into comic form is real fuckin' awesome. I like those Bendis/Maleev and Brubaker/Lark Daredevils quite a bit but even disregarding Born Again (TOP 5 DEAD OR ALIVE BABY) those cats ain't Frank Miller.

Owzers

Wolverine & The X-Men sale on the app, 1-8 of the series and the Wolvie Jubilee mini. Slowly but surely converting all my back issues to digi.

hmmm you just reminded me that i should forget about waiting for a WATXM omni and just get the back issues during this sale. I already have the recent ones that included the code starting with issue 13, so that would still leave a 4 issue gap :( Might keep waiting for the print collection...

So I want to be an Aquaman super fan, where should I start? I already read the current series.
First you need to buy the shoes from Journeys that ApiderJerusalem and I got.

Ay of you brahs enjoy kids comics? The JLU and Avengers are pretty fun and get back to telling a complete story. USM is better than the show but that isn't saying much.

ReiGun

So I want to be an Aquaman super fan, where should I start? I already read the current series.

The Atlantis Chronicles - Time and Tide - Peter David's Run (Aquaman vol. 5 1-46) in that order.

And yes, like Rafa said, get your Aqua-kicks.

Owzers

I liked All New X-Men #3 and 4, still predict it spirals to Bendisland when he splits off into two books. Pre-ordered up to issue 6 so far.

Acid08

Banned

Ay of you brahs enjoy kids comics? The JLU and Avengers are pretty fun and get back to telling a complete story. USM is better than the show but that isn't saying much.

I really like the Adventure Time comics.
The Atlantis Chronicles - Time and Tide - Peter David's Run (Aquaman vol. 5 1-46) in that order.

And yes, like Rafa said, get you Aqua-kicks.
Thanks man, will check them out.

Those Aqua-Kicks are hot. Need to find in size 12.5

hmmm you just reminded me that i should forget about waiting for a WATXM omni and just get the back issues during this sale. I already have the recent ones that included the code starting with issue 13, so that would still leave a 4 issue gap :( Might keep waiting for the print collection...

I did the same thing, same situation. If you want a laugh, check out how much those four missing issues are.

Ay of you brahs enjoy kids comics? The JLU? and Avengers are pretty fun and get back to telling a complete story. USM is better than the show but that isn't saying much.

Hell yea, my shoes are crazy awesome!

and yea I like a lot of the kids comics. I loved First Class and the Marvel Adventures stuff. I let my dude get one whenever I go get my books and he got me hooked back into some.
I've been grabbing some old Batman and JLU ones off comixology, loving it.

And yes, like Rafa said, get your Aqua-kicks.

yea those were great. That series got me back into comics back then.. also started my "Trinity"... Aquaman/Supergirl/Nightwing
somehow Wally and Kyle are in that too. ;o

Yeah, I love those comics a lot. Watching a young Frank Miller in his 20's doing Daredevil/Wolverine/Ronin basically mashing up shit he likes together - Eisner, Lone Wolf and Cub, Moebius, Kurosawa, sf, NINJAS, film noir, kung-fu movies, Kirby, Ditko, female body builders - and distilling them into comic form is real fuckin' awesome. I like those Bendis/Maleev and Brubaker/Lark Daredevils quite a bit but even disregarding Born Again (TOP 5 DEAD OR ALIVE BABY) those cats ain't Frank Miller.

Another thing that I forgotten about this book is that's it's FUNNY. You think in the quest of unending misery for Matt Murdock that seemed to come out of Miller's run(specifically, Born Again), they forgot how much levity and comedy relief there is in this book.

#175, has this wonderful two-pronged fight sequence of Elektra vs Kigiri and DD vs 4 swordsmen, that's thrilling as it is inventive, but in the middle of all that we also get these humorous asides in the court room where Foggy has to present the case by himself, and it's hilarious! #178 is a Luke Cage/Power Man guest star issue, which is light and breezy as anything in the Mark Waid run, and begins with this panel(gotta love:

Daredevil, smiling, enjoying life, having a good time! I mean, even as cynical, nasty, destructive and brutal as Born Again was, the last 1/3rd is Murdock coming back from that shit and even getting a happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom