• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delta flight attendant heroically stops Florida Man from opening exit door mid flight

Talk about flying the unfriendly skies

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-flight-attendant-assault-20170707-story.html

450x800

A probable cause statement written by FBI Special Agent Caryn Highley said Hudek was sitting in the first row of the Boeing 767's first-class section. He asked a flight attendant for a beer before takeoff, and was served one, but he exhibited no sign of being intoxicated and ordered no other alcoholic drinks, the attendant told authorities.

About an hour into the flight, while the plane was over the Pacific Ocean northwest of Vancouver Island, Hudek went into the forward restroom. He came out quickly, asked the attendant a question and went back in, the agent wrote.

When he came out again two minutes later, he suddenly lunged for the exit door, grabbed the handle and tried to open it, Highley wrote. Two attendants grabbed him, but he pushed them away, and the attendants signaled for help from several passengers and notified the cockpit by telephone, the complaint said.

Hudek punched one flight attendant twice in the face and struck at least one passenger in the head with a red dessert wine bottle, it said.

As the struggle continued, a flight attendant grabbed two wine bottles and hit Hudek over the head with each — breaking at least one of them, Highley wrote.

According to one flight attendant, "Hudek did not seem impacted by the breaking of a full liter red wine bottle over his head, and instead shouted, 'Do you know who I am?' or something to that extent," the complaint said.

One passenger got him in a headlock, but he broke out of it, although several passengers were able to hold him long enough to place zip-tie restraints on him, Highley wrote. Even then he remained combative, she said, and it took multiple passengers to keep him restrained until the plane landed and Port of Seattle police arrested him.

Ra\/en

Unfriendly skies? Sounds like the guy got exactly what was coming to him. I might have done the same if I was a flight attendant.

Misleading thread.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Probably took a bump in the restroom and god hyped as fuck. Title is a bit misleading because the dude deserved it for freaking out mid flight trying to exit the plane.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey OP, maybe you should phrase the thread about how the passenger lost his mind and went nuts, and the attendant tried to stop him.

A-V-B

Title thread makes it sound like "shitty airline strikes again" but this was literally a life and death struggle over some dude in a fugue state trying to crash the plane or kill himself or some shit.

Wild.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ He was trying to open the door, I don't really condone smashing glass over someone's head, but I absolutely can't condemn them over doing something like that when the passenger was trying to open a door and was assaulting other staff and passengers.

norm9

According to one flight attendant, "Hudek did not seem impacted by the breaking of a full liter red wine bottle over his head, and instead shouted, 'Do you know who I am?' or something to that extent," the complaint said.

guessing this is not the first time he's screamed those words at someone.

CHC

Not really a fair headline. Obviously a wine bottle is not the right thing to do - restraining is. He could have been killed if it cut any number of blood vessels around his neck. But I mean, the dude seems to have gone hog wild without provocation. There's no accounting for how untrained people tasked with subduing him are gonna handle things.

Also guys: it's not JUST the thread title, it's the headline of the article. And it's kind of bad.

Jenov

Good for the attendant. The guy was a maniac and also assaulted and punched the attendants in the face while trying to force the plane door open.

jstripes

Banned
Title thread makes it sound like "shitty airline strikes again" but this was literally a life and death struggle over some dude in a fugue state trying to crash the plane or kill himself or some shit.

Wild.

Twist: OP was the unruly passenger.

kmfdmpig

I've read that the air pressure makes it impossible for a passenger to open the door mid-flight, due to the air pressure, but I would rather a passenger be knocked out than test that in real life.

The flight attendant sounds 100% justified here, which is quite different from all of the other airline stories that have come out in the last few months.

RyanW

I think the thread title is fine. You get to find out who doesn't read the OP and just jump to conclusions

Top Bottom