• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delta flight attendant heroically stops Florida Man from opening exit door mid flight

Style

Banned
It's not really OP's fault. That is the actual tittle of the article. So, I guess blame it on The Chicago Tribune.

deyvgiw.png

Are we looking at the same article?

Daedardus

Well, maybe a wine bottle wasn't the best option, but it does make one big misleading thread title.

Wonder what made him go haywire.

milanbaros

Member?
¯_(ツ)_/¯ He was trying to open the door, I don't really condone smashing glass over someone's head, but I absolutely can't condemn them over doing something like that when the passenger was trying to open a door and was assaulting other staff and passengers.

The door wouldn't open at that altitude though, it would take superhuman strength.

Meh, I guess they could have written "Unrully pax tried to open plan door while inflight crew breaks wine bottle on his head to stop him". Leaving out why the bottle was used is kinda misleading.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That wine bottle was no angel.

JC Lately

¯_(ツ)_/¯ He was trying to open the door, I don't really condone smashing glass over someone's head, but I absolutely can't condemn them over doing something like that when the passenger was trying to open a door and was assaulting other staff and passengers.

Really? I tottaly condone it. Applaud it even. Give that FA a medal and a raise.

Mato

OP, of all the things that happened on that flight your takeaway was the attendant's reaction?

MUnited83

For you.
"Stop"? Aren't those things like literally impossible to open mid-flight? Dude wouldn't have ever been able to open it, he wasn't "stopped" from doing it.

Nepenthe

According to one flight attendant, "Hudek did not seem impacted by the breaking of a full liter red wine bottle over his head, and instead shouted, 'Do you know who I am?' or something to that extent," the complaint said.

I've actually been in tears laughing at this for the past 10 minutes. Good on the flight attendants.

Daedardus

Thing is, it's not actually possible to open the emergency exits while the plane is in the air.

Is that true for all circumstances? Because if it is totally not possible, there would have to be a mechanism to prevent it. Which can fail in case of a crash or other incident, locking everyone in. Or do you just mean the air pressure being too high inside to open the door?

Florida Man is fucking insane. I would've been fine if someone stabbed him. He was risking every damn life on that plane, right?

Good on them passengers and FA.

Tampa Represent :(. Man I hope OP was just trolling because if his attention span and reading comprehension are that bad then i worry for him

No. The cabin pressure differential with the outside air makes it impossible.

I was on a flight once where the guy behind me kept joking with the flight attendant about opening his exit row door mid-flight. "Will it kill us all?", etc.

It soon got to the point where an Air Marshall had to sit next to him.

Eusis

Unfriendly skies? Sounds like the guy got exactly what was coming to him. I might have done the same if I was a flight attendant.

Misleading thread.
He's what made it unfriendly. That one jerk that ruins things for everyone else. Even if he couldn't open the door he made a wild scene and mess that everyone was locked with until the plane landed.

EGM1966

"Stop"? Aren't those things like literally impossible to open mid-flight? Dude wouldn't have ever been able to open it, he wasn't "stopped" from doing it.
Irrelevant. Nobody's going to calmly sit around when someone goes violently berserk at cruising altitude and is trying to open the door. The attendants had to restrain him whatever his chances: they're not going to jump in the intercom and reassure everyone to ignore the violent crazy and advise them to also ignore him tearing at the door because he won't get it open.

You go nuts at altitude you get subdued. Anything else is simply too risky and unfair on the rest of the passengers. Every flight will have people who are fearful of flying: imagine how much they must have enjoyed someone trying to pull the door open.

Top Bottom